Jump to content

2021-22 Laval General Discussion Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

👍 yeah! :clap:

 

Hope to see him play on regular shifts :hyper:

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Looks like he's a scratch tonight so you'll have to wait until Thursday at least.

 

he got to enjoy the game tonight, I am glad they cannot pin the loss on him or any of the healthy scratches

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one of the major changes that Marc Bergevin started last summer: giving more room to Quebec-born players. He deserves full credit for this:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bergevin had no real role in signing the AHL-contracted Laval guys (maybe guys like Dea who are on two-way deals).  That was mostly Scott Mellanby who was Laval's GM until he resigned.  For me, that 'achievement' is entirely irrelevant as well, it's not like an all-Quebec lineup magically unlocks a whole new level of potential here.  Minor league team prioritizes local players - that's not really something that needs credit assigned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bergevin had no real role in signing the AHL-contracted Laval guys (maybe guys like Dea who are on two-way deals).  That was mostly Scott Mellanby who was Laval's GM until he resigned.  For me, that 'achievement' is entirely irrelevant as well, it's not like an all-Quebec lineup magically unlocks a whole new level of potential here.  Minor league team prioritizes local players - that's not really something that needs credit assigned.

 

that is so "backhanded-ly" (is that a word?)

 

There was a desire set from the top to make sure more Quebec-born players were drafted, and that any late-round or unsigned player that developed into an NHLer would be in the Habs radar.

 

The Trois-Rivières ECHL team was an initiative outside of the Habs organization; but the many training camp invitees that were Quebec-born was unprecedented.

 

Laval is playing really well and it is doing it with a lineup with way, like waaayyy more Quebequers, than in any recent history. That is significant and it is attributed to MB and hos team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really not Bergevin though.  There was no order from him to draft more QMJHL players - they get accused every year of not drafting enough.  They drafted four last year but it was also the only junior league that had something resembling a normal season.  That's the main reason for that.  If there was an organizational edict to do that, it would be from Molson, not the GM.

 

Trois-Rivieres had nothing to do with the Habs as you noted and Bergevin didn't direct Mellanby to sign a bunch of Quebec-born AHL guys.  It was established over the course of the summer with Mellanby working more with the Trois-Rivieres management on that front.  That's not Bergevin.

 

I also feel that it's 100% irrelevant what town is on a player's birth certificate.  I couldn't care less if the forward group is 100% Quebec-born or 0%.  To me, it's an entirely meaningless 'accomplishment' in part brought about by the team missing a bunch of their better players (several of which aren't Quebec-born), forcing them to rely on ECHL recalls where the management down there is emphasizing Quebec-only players unless they're on assignment from Montreal or Laval. 

 

So no, I'm not giving Bergevin credit for something that he had very little to do with and isn't worth giving anyone credit for in the first place.  That's not me being anti-Bergevin, that's me just recognizing that an NHL GM isn't involved in giving a third-line AHL guy a minor league contract.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This is one of the major changes that Marc Bergevin started last summer: giving more room to Quebec-born players. He deserves full credit for this:

 

 

He also brought in Perrault and Paquette. How did those two turn out? Let’s concentrate on getting the best players - regardless where they are from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's really not Bergevin though.  There was no order from him to draft more QMJHL players - they get accused every year of not drafting enough.  They drafted four last year but it was also the only junior league that had something resembling a normal season.  That's the main reason for that.  If there was an organizational edict to do that, it would be from Molson, not the GM.

 

Trois-Rivieres had nothing to do with the Habs as you noted and Bergevin didn't direct Mellanby to sign a bunch of Quebec-born AHL guys.  It was established over the course of the summer with Mellanby working more with the Trois-Rivieres management on that front.  That's not Bergevin.

 

I also feel that it's 100% irrelevant what town is on a player's birth certificate.  I couldn't care less if the forward group is 100% Quebec-born or 0%.  To me, it's an entirely meaningless 'accomplishment' in part brought about by the team missing a bunch of their better players (several of which aren't Quebec-born), forcing them to rely on ECHL recalls where the management down there is emphasizing Quebec-only players unless they're on assignment from Montreal or Laval. 

 

So no, I'm not giving Bergevin credit for something that he had very little to do with and isn't worth giving anyone credit for in the first place.  That's not me being anti-Bergevin, that's me just recognizing that an NHL GM isn't involved in giving a third-line AHL guy a minor league contract.  

100% agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2022 at 3:11 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

👍 yeah! :clap:

 

Hope to see him play on regular shifts :hyper:

 

 

 

Jesse, Jesse?! Going for the travel miles, aren't you..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Jesse, Jesse?! Going for the travel miles, aren't you...

Does the Metro have a frequent traveller rewards program?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

Wonder if he will join The Rocket ... he will in order to get paid, but unlike Paquette, who is 28, the 34 yr-old Perreault ***might*** see this as the end of his career ... however, he strikes me as a player who might possibly go into coaching and could ***perhaps*** go down in a player/apprentice-coach sort of role.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Wonder if he will join The Rocket ... he will in order to get paid, but unlike Paquette, who is 28, the 34 yr-old Perreault ***might*** see this as the end of his career ... however, he strikes me as a player who might possibly go into coaching and could ***perhaps*** go down in a player/apprentice-coach sort of role.

 

The Habs are going to meet with Perreault and discuss his future.  One simple possibility that isn't getting enough attention is that he stays on the roster for now, goes down before Monday if they need the roster spot, and then he's brought up on Monday and stays as a reserve forward for the stretch run.

 

If he wants to go somewhere else, he may have to accept starting in the minors and that doesn't seem like something he'd want to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Schueneman was papered to Laval and brought back up.  Apparently Perreault was as well which doesn't make much sense - either send him down and keep him there or don't send him down at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Schueneman was papered to Laval and brought back up.  Apparently Perreault was as well which doesn't make much sense - either send him down and keep him there or don't send him down at all.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That makes a lot more sense.  Hughes said in his presser that Perreault was sent down but that seemed kind of pointless unless he was going there to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Defenseman Louie Belpedio will make his return to action tonight against the Belleville Senators.

 

Forwards Alex Belzile and Lukas Vejdemo, as well as defenseman Josh Brook have started skating with athletic therapists. Belzile and Brook are expected to return in one to two weeks, while Vejdemo should be back in two weeks.

 

Forward Cameron Hillis is expected to return to action in early April. (Upper body)

 

Defenseman Tory Dello will be out for two to four weeks. (Lower body)

 

The rehabilitation of defensemen Tobie Bisson (return in mid-April) and Gianni Fairbrother (return in late May) is on schedule.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

He'll have a better chance of playing on this one although he'll have to be sent back down when one of Pezzetta/T. Pitlick/Poehling return (or it'll be converted to one of their four recalls).  Ylonen will be playing his third game in as many days tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DON said:

 

Hi Don, I didn't see this post so I started a new thread. Sounds like he could be a tough, physical bottom 6 winger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Hi Don, I didn't see this post so I started a new thread. Sounds like he could be a tough, physical bottom 6 winger. 

I was gonna do the same thing, but didnt.

I first thought was simply some depth AHL guy for playoffs, with no real NHL upside (24yr old already) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...