Feb 8 - New Jerseys Devils versus Canadiens de Montreal

GHT120

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ducharme has been pulling goalies (both Primeau and Montembeault) rather frequently recently so this mystified me, too. I wonder whether Primeau might have asked him to try to finish the game? I don't really see any other rationale for this.

Or is Montembeault still not 100%?  (I've seen rumblings that he's still not fully recovered from that injury a few weeks ago but is good enough to play in a pinch if he had to.)  With no other NHL-contracted goalie available, he had to dress as a backup or go with an EBUG.  In that case, you're not putting Montembeault in when you're down big and risking further issue with that injury.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This really shows how the Habs games go this season ...

MTL

Can you share the link?

this may come in handy. I was using other stats and visualization graphs

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Im still waiting on the stats that show the coaches are doing a good job this season? Where are they?

It will come at some point, don’t hold your breath if you want them quickly

I started a new consulting job about a month ago and I am on ramp-up purgatory.

fyi, on a first analysis pass, the Habs did start the season poorly, but we’re righting the ship the week before Bergevin got fired.

they went into three (?) long loosing streaks.

From the initial data I have, the inflexion point was Bergevin’s firing. It has been downhill since

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It will come at some point, don’t hold your breath if you want them quickly

I started a new consulting job about a month ago and I am on ramp-up purgatory.

fyi, on a first analysis pass, the Habs did start the season poorly, but we’re righting the ship the week before Bergevin got fired.

From the initial data I have, the inflexion point was Bergevin’s firing. It has been downhill since

How could they have been "righting the ship" without a single two game winning streak all season?  You cant right the ship if you cant string wins together.

Alot of whining and crying.

Who cares if coach is swapped at this stage, how many they lose, or if they get blown out.

Just just a dumb game, Wings went through exact same just a year or three ago and are coming out the other side due to seemingly nice GMing, again by Stevie Y.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Another veteran calling out the system.

https://twitter.com/jaredbook/status/1491240607737683971

I heard the whole Chiarot presser, he was actually calling out Petry

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Or is Montembeault still not 100%?  (I've seen rumblings that he's still not fully recovered from that injury a few weeks ago but is good enough to play in a pinch if he had to.)  With no other NHL-contracted goalie available, he had to dress as a backup or go with an EBUG.  In that case, you're not putting Montembeault in when you're down big and risking further issue with that injury.

This could well be. Four straight previous games had a goalie switch.

MTL

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Looking at the game-by-game xG data (indicating the level of play) on Hockeyviz, it doesn't look like they were going in the right direction at that point (see black vertical line I added, approximately when he was fired). That said, it's not any better right now ...

image.png

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Looking at the game-by-game xG data (indicating the level of play) on Hockeyviz, it doesn't look like they were going in the right direction at that point (see black vertical line I added, approximately when he was fired). That said, it's not any better right now ...

image.png

Yup this season has been a disaster from day 1.  

I also think its massively grasping at straws to think a GMs firing had an immediate effect on results either good or bad.  A GM can change things in the big picture but not so much day to day.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

image.png

I saw that, what I was going to add was the quality of competition of teams that faced the Habs

injutirs played a big part in the tIl spin and this graph has to be wheighed with the impact the roster quality had.

MB was fired after the win against Pittsburg and if you read the games threads on the week leading to that game, there were more positives than the weeks prior

There was a flat performance/loss before PIT that skews the graph; but I am almost certain the team had t it mes a corner and were looking like they would start an upward trend... I just need to dig For that data and I don’t have the time to do it right now 

The nice thing about the xG chart is that it ignore subjective things like game reports or rosters or perceptions. It may or may not be meaningful but based on the chart the Habs were playing roughly their worst hockey of the season (about 2:1 xGA:xGF) when Bergevin was fired, and then it got somewhat better, for a little while.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm just glad the argument on whether or not Ducharme deserves to be fired is over. 

The move is made, there is no point campaigning for or against it anymore. 

Well right is right and wrong is wrong

Now that it is not needed to substantiate an argument:position I may do it for the pleasure of comparing with how the next coach performs

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well right is right and wrong is wrong

Now that it is not needed to substantiate an argument:position I may do it for the pleasure of comparing with how the next coach performs

It cant get any worse, thats for sure.