2023 Draft, Pick 101: Florian Xhekaj

dlbalr

6 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Not a scout but I will say this about Florian just like I said for Arber. 

Don’t underestimate the grit, determination and compete level of the lower class immigrant child. 

I am no scout either but I agree with your comments.  If Florian doesn't make it, it won't be because of a lack of grit, determination or compete level. It will be because his skills didn't progress enough.  The NHL is not an easy league to make. It will be fun (hopefully) to follow his progress. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am no scout either but I agree with your comments.  If Florian doesn't make it, it won't be because of a lack of grit, determination or compete level. It will be because his skills didn't progress enough.  The NHL is not an easy league to make. It will be fun (hopefully) to follow his progress. 

I totally agree with @Helmethead too.  There are numerous super good aspects about Florian and his families work ethic is a big one.

Also, the weight Florian has gained should make a big difference in his play.   I've seen interviews with Dach where he admitted that in his 1st several OHL seasons that he would get manhandled in the corners etc.  Dach is 6'4" and was 194 lbs when he was drafted.  Before Dach reached 194 lbs players that were around 6' tall of similar weight were a lot stronger than him.  That vastly limited Dach.  

So far, Florian has basically been the same as Dach - both were very tall but essentially scrawny for their height.  The weight Florian has gained will drastically change his game and effectiveness.   Florian should have a incredibly different year in his final OHL season and he could turn out to be a great sleeper pick.

Not sure i would compare Dach with a long shot like this kid.

Dach had 73pts in 62gms in draft year and is a skilled player.

This kid had 25pts in 68gms and not so skilled.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure i would compare Dach with a long shot like this kid.

Dach had 73pts in 62gms in draft year and is a skilled player.

This kid had 25pts in 68gms and not so skilled.

Also dach did the 73 points in his actual draft year.

Florian was passed over entirely in his draft year and got 25 points in 68 games the following year.  At the same age Dach was putting up 23 points in 64 games in the NHL.

Its a mad comparison

I don't think the comparison to Dach was meant as a skills comparison as Florian hasn't demonstrated anything close to what Dach has shown. Or maybe Habs fans just like to dream. Fan is short for fanatic so we are allowed to get carried away sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think the comparison to Dach was meant as a skills comparison as Florian hasn't demonstrated anything close to what Dach has shown. Or maybe Habs fans just like to dream. Fan is short for fanatic so we are allowed to get carried away sometimes. 

the reference was about the height/weight at Florian's age between the two and how this may provide a hint on what to watch for in Florian's progress

(if I remember correctly)

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the reference was about the height/weight at Florian's age between the two and how this may provide a hint on what to watch for in Florian's progress

(if I remember correctly)

Yes, agreed. I think the hope (for me anyway) is that Florian develops into a 6'4" 220lb beast of a winger who is skilled enough to be effective on the 3rd or 4th lines. I think that may be the maximum upside. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My point is that SKILL is more important than height/weight.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think we would all agree with that. 

Hmmm, not all;

if a physical forward prospect is 6'4" 200lb, GMs start drooling & thinking... is he the next Tom Wilson/Josh Anderson?

Whereas a more skilled Hutson/Zack Benson/Cooley or the like drop in draft because of 1 main reason, not being big in stature.

e.g. Cooley had much more encouraging year than Slafkovski, will choosing size pay off for Hughes, or backfire as often does when blinded by BIGness?

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Hmmm, not all;

if a physical forward prospect is 6'4" 200lb, GMs start drooling & thinking... is he the next Tom Wilson/Josh Anderson?

Whereas a more skilled Hutson/Zack Benson/Cooley or the like drop in draft because of 1 main reason, not being big in stature.

e.g. Cooley had much more encouraging year than Slafkovski, will choosing size pay off for Hughes, or backfire as often does when blinded by BIGness?

Sure, if you had a great amount of skill on your team already than maybe the big power forward/policeman is attractive but you are not going to win a cup without a lot of skilled guys.