early 2023-2024 season waiver pickup

alfredoh2009

hello, I saw this posting in another thread and I thought it would be great to have a thread on players that will come through the waiver wire and that the Habs may pickup.

I liked some of the trades HughGort made and how he has shed some players we thought untradeable. Kovacevic was a smart pickup and I am thinking that he may do it again this season.

in case you didn't know, the first few weeks or month of the season, the Habs will be in the waiver queue based on last season's standings == close to first dibs

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think the Habs will be adding to the waiver pool this year with Primeau and not taking anyone. 

Unless they can trade with COL

The Habs picking someone up off of waivers seems unlikely. The Habs have a log jam of players and a team would have to royally mess up to waive a player of significance that the Habs could use.  In that event, the player would probably help the teams below the Habs anyway so another team would get him.   

27 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs picking someone up off of waivers seems unlikely. The Habs have a log jam of players and a team would have to royally mess up to waive a player of significance that the Habs could use.  In that event, the player would probably help the teams below the Habs anyway so another team would get him.   

I understand, but last year they surprised us with the Kovacevic pickup (I was gladly surprised)

I believe that they could repeat if the opportunity arises. 

Also, it will be nice to track the Habs players (like Primeau) who may be waived 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think the Habs will be adding to the waiver pool this year with Primeau and not taking anyone. 

My prediction is that they’ll trade at least one, and probably two, of Primeau, DeSmith and Allen—but not until the season starts.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My prediction is that they’ll trade at least one, and probably two, of Primeau, DeSmith and Allen—but not until the season starts.

Colorado is apparently looking for a backup goalie as Francouz will not be ready to start the season. 

I could see them trading for DeSmith. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Unless they can trade with COL

A trade with Colorado would almost certainly involve Allen or DeSmith ... and would not likely result in them keeping Primeau as a 3rd goalie on the NHL roster.

• 2 weeks later...

waiver wire watch:

nothing much on the wire to kick off waivers this season:

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Two ex-Habs waived by the Pens ... we could get Pitlick back for free, but he's not a fit for our plans, nor do we have space on the roster.

Yup no room

Reminder to everyone, if you claim a player on waivers you cant send them to Laval unless you waive them again, so he'd need to be on the roster.  Id rather keep ylonen.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Two ex-Habs waived by the Pens ... we could get Pitlick back for free, but he's not a fit for our plans, nor do we have space on the roster.

and Ty Smith has not lived up to expectations based where he was drafted

Hmm, I'm surprised to see Pitlick was waived.  I figured he would be a good fit with Crosby or Malkin and be resigned by Pitts.  I've only followed the Habs so I have no idea but I'm definitely wondering if Pitlick had any ice time with Crosby or Malkin?  

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, I'm surprised to see Pitlick was waived.  I figured he would be a good fit with Crosby or Malkin and be resigned by Pitts.  I've only followed the Habs so I have no idea but I'm definitely wondering if Pitlick had any ice time with Crosby or Malkin?  

I think Pitlick could have worked with Pittsburgh had their cap situation been cleaner.  But with them being very tight to the cap and having guys like Hinostroza, Nylander, and Johnsson all signed for $800,000 or less (plus Colin White on a PTO; he'd sign for the minimum if he gets a deal most likely), he stood zero chance of making it.  That few hundred thousand difference might be the bulk of their cap space to start the season.

Ty Smith, on the other hand, that one surprised me.  He didn't have a great year but he's a league-minimum seventh defenceman.  They're not really saving anything by waiving him unless they intend to carry just the minimum-sized roster.  I also think he has a better chance of being claimed by waiving him this early as now a team can bring him in and give him a look for a week and a half before the season starts.

You thought Rem Pitlick was going to be a winger for Crosby or Malkin and play in someone's top six?

A guy who was like the 15th or 16th forward on our garbage team last year, and you thought he was going to be a key piece for the Pens, a bubble playoff team?

I dont know what to say.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

You thought Rem Pitlick was going to be a winger for Crosby or Malkin and play in someone's top six?

A guy who was like the 15th or 16th forward on our garbage team last year, and you thought he was going to be a key piece for the Pens, a bubble playoff team?

I don't think Pitlick would be a key piece on any time, but he can be a decent complementary player to support the other two (higher-skilled) forwards.

nothing to write home about, but yet here they are:

Today's waiver list: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/waivers-9-30-23.html

There are 4 Habs on there - Beaudin, Condotta, Keeper, and Stephens...I'll get to a write-up for HW on them when I can.

Lassi Thomson is on waivers, that's one that intrigues me.  After Ty Emberson got picked up by San Jose today, there's a decent chance Thomson will get scooped up as well.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Lassi Thomson is on waivers, that's one that intrigues me.  After Ty Emberson got picked up by San Jose today, there's a decent chance Thomson will get scooped up as well.

Thomson is interesting indeed--I could have seen the Habs pick him up a few years ago when our D prospect pool was much smaller.

It would be fun to know if the Habs also put in a claim ... Chicago didn't

Oct. 2, 2023

Victor Mete was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers

Cooper Marody was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers

Rhett Gardner was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers

Adam Brooks was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers

Louis Belpedio was placed on waivers by the Philadelphia Flyers

Kyle Criscuolo was placed on waivers by the New Jersey Devils

Gerald Mayhew was placed on waivers by the Florida Panthers

Lucas Carlsson was placed on waivers by the Florida Panthers

Rasmus Asplund was placed on waivers by the Florida Panthers

Derrick Pouliot was placed on waivers by the Dallas Stars

Fredrik Karlström was placed on waivers by the Dallas Stars

Nicholas Caamano was placed on waivers by the Dallas Stars

Gavin Bayreuther was placed on waivers by the Dallas Stars

Corey Schueneman was placed on waivers by the Colorado Avalanche

Wyatt Aamodt was placed on waivers by the Colorado Avalanche

Colton Poolman was placed on waivers by the Calgary Flames

Benjamin Jones was placed on waivers by the Calgary Flames

Oscar Dansk was placed on waivers by the Calgary Flames

Clark Bishop was placed on waivers by the Calgary Flames

Kyle Keyser was placed on waivers by the Boston Bruins

Matt Villalta was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Ryan McGregor was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

John Leonard was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Justin Kirkland was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Steven Kampfer was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Jan Jeník was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Cameron Crotty was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Travis Barron was placed on waivers by the Arizona Coyotes

Glenn Gawdin was placed on waivers by the Anaheim Ducks

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No one exciting off that list but Ottawa will be waiving Egor Sokolov and Jacob Bernard-Docker today.  Those names are intriguing at least.

I agree, cap-strapped teams will probably jump on this