Can't wait to see what this management does once they have cap space and can go after UFA's

Habsfan89

So fare I've been happy with what's been going on with this management team. Hughes has been doing a great job with trades and getting picks with what little room of cap space he has been working with. I think we finally have a deep prospect pool and are well balanced in prospects.  I also believe that development has been a lot better and in the next few years we might have the best Dcore in the league.

In 2 years time i believe the rebuild will be over because we will have a lot of cap space with contracts of Armia, Dvorak,   Evans, Savard,  Allen,  Petry all expiring. Then a year after that Price then Gallagher, so we will be seeing a boat load of cap space to sign our own and bring in some top UFA's. So it should be interesting to see how management work Free agency. 

I agree, they have made some very good moves and are well positioned for the future

that is why I will only start judging the rebuild after next summer once they are done most of the churn

finally, have I said lately how much I like Beck? Love that kid 

I've read that a good friend of Marchessault's has said that Jonathan wants to resign in Vegas or sign with the Habs.  That could be interesting.

Killorn also said he wanted to play for the Habs but Hughes didn't contact him so unfortunately he singed a 4 year deal with the Ducks.  Hughes didn't have cap space to sign Killorn but he could have contacted him and let him know he was interested and Killorn might have taken a shorter deal with the Ducks.  Hughes should reach out to any top Quebecois UFA and let them know that the Habs are interested and tell them a potential year they could sign them. 

There will definitely be numerous interesting non French players that will be UFAs.  

21 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Hughes didn't have cap space to sign Killorn but he could have contacted him and let him know he was interested and Killorn might have taken a shorter deal with the Ducks.    ..H ughes should reach out to any top Quebecois UFA and let them know that the Habs are interested and tell them a potential year they could sign them ...

Until they are actually UFAs he can't say anything to them or their agent, or their family, or their friends without running the risk of losing draft picks for tampering ... and few if any players will turn down guaranteed term for the hope that Hughes will sign him down the road.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Until they are actually UFAs he can't say anything to them or their agent, or their family, or their friends without running the risk of losing draft picks for tampering.

Yep, that's true, hence why I said reach out to any UFA vs soon to be UFA.  ex:  it is fully within the rules if Hughes had called Killorn at 12:01 on UFA day and said that he is interested in him but wont have cap space for 2 years.  

Just now, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yep, that's true, hence why I said reach out to any UFA vs soon to be UFA.  ex:  it is fully within the rules if Hughes had called Killorn at 12:01 on UFA day and said that he is interested in him but wont have cap space for 2 years.  

And my other point was that few, if any, players are going to turn down an extra year, or two or three on an immediate contract hoping that they play well enough in the interim that Hughes (or ant other GM/team) is still interested in signing them after their "shortened" contract expires, or that no youngsters develop and take the role Hughes had envisaged for them.

UFAs - well, they can be exciting, but if you go after a top-tier guy it usually means you are taking on a contract that will be horrible on the back end. Personally, I am more excited/interested to see whether the young guns already in the organization can fulfill their potential. 

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

UFAs - well, they can be exciting, but if you go after a top-tier guy it usually means you are taking on a contract that will be horrible on the back end. Personally, I am more excited/interested to see whether the young guns already in the organization can fulfill their potential. 

same here, so far HugGort has salvaged what they deemed good assets from TimBerg (Timmins, Bergevin) and added very promising pieces.

I have been critical of how they are handling development, but for the most part I am hopeful for the future. I think the Habs have turned the corner

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes and Killorn could blow out his knee or hurt his hip (monahan) or have some other injury in the next two years, or just see his performance go downhill due to age and wear and tear, to the point where he wont get the same contract two years from now.

Its a lot to expect of any player to take those risks instead of guaranteed money.

• Like 1