2016 82 games 

2017  74 games

2018 78 games

2019 70 games

2020 50 games (hip injury)

2021 65 games other hip

2022 25 games (broken foot)

Currently 4 games played

I was off by a year. He started getting hurt in. 2019 - played through the injuries like last year. He  played 70 games that year, but should have been shut down earlier. Started with the wrist injuries.

2020 ended early with most teams at approx 72 games played but not exactly due to the nature of the COVID stoppage.

So That 70 game 2019-20, that was basically the full season.

Remember as well that 50 game 2020-21, that was on a 56 game season, as we only started in January and only played the Canadian division.

So that makes his injury issues even less. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

2020 ended early with most teams at approx 72 games played but not exactly due to the nature of the COVID stoppage.

So That 70 game 2019-20, that was basically the full season.

Remember as well that 50 game 2020-21, that was on a 56 game season, as we only started in January and only played the Canadian division.

So that makes his injury issues even less. 

Yes 2019/20Calgary played only 70 games.... he actually played the whole season

Teams played between 68-71 depending when the season was called for them.

2021 he played 50 of 56

In total he missed 23 games in 8 seasons before missing 74 games in his last 2 seasons 54 of which was with Habs.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think you also have to take into account that Monahan played hurt a lot of the time with Calgary and some games with Montreal. Quite often hip injuries just don't go away. I love what Monahan brings but still leery about his health. 

all three things can be true.

The hip injury is bad and has people concerned about his future. 

He, like almost all NHLers, has played games while hurt.

His injury issues, and when they began and how serious they were have been exaggerated by some in this thread.

True, but I think Monahan more than most. He spent a lot of time in Sutter's doghouse because he couldn't perform like he normally could because he was playing hurt.  He was a healthy scratch at times when he should have been on IR. 

End of the day, he's worth way more than just a late 1st rd pick, particularly for this young team. On top of that, we already secured a 1st rd asset when we acquired him and he'll be valuable at the end of a 3/4 year deal. I really think Hughes is going to re-sign him again. Why would we want to trade him... hes freakin a really good player. Even those 25 games last year... he was great. 

Its Dvorak who gets shipped out

His "issue" is that he continues to play when "injured" ... the distinction I draw is that, with proper treatment and rehabilitation, players can recover from being hurt even while they continue to play ... while injuries require time off to heal ... it is a distinction that not enough players draw.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

His "issue" is that he continues to play when "injured" ... the distinction I draw is that, with proper treatment and rehabilitation, players can recover from being hurt even while they continue to play ... while injuries require time off to heal ... it is a distinction that not enough players draw.

What character he brings to the skills he possess is what I say to that... a warrior

7 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

End of the day, he's worth way more than just a late 1st rd pick, particularly for this young team. On top of that, we already secured a 1st rd asset when we acquired him and he'll be valuable at the end of a 3/4 year deal. I really think Hughes is going to re-sign him again. Why would we want to trade him... hes freakin a really good player. Even those 25 games last year... he was great. 

Its Dvorak who gets shipped out

What we got when we acquired him is irrelevant at this point. To get a 1st round pick to take on his contract was good asset management by Hughes.  I am not saying we have to trade him but if there is a good deal on the table then it's hard to turn down. Dvorak has little trade value at this point. 

21 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What character he brings to the skills he possess is what I say to that... a warrior

And in doing so he deprives the team of his best game and eventually even his being able to dress for extended periods ... INJURED players need to heal.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pre Dach injury i thought Dvorak was gone.  Given that Dach is out for the year, he might just be worth keeping as the trade value is low and the team's depth at C could be tested with another injury.

A factor in the decision of whether or not to mob=ve Dvorak is how important HuGo feel it is to clear out his contract for 24/25 ... *** IF *** they feel it is important then every opportunity to move him without incurring a cost to do so must be considered.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A factor in the decision of whether or not to mob=ve Dvorak is how important HuGo feel it is to clear out his contract for 24/25 ... *** IF *** they feel it is important then every opportunity to move him without incurring a cost to do so must be considered.

I think there are much worse contracts than his.  

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, but I think Monahan more than most. He spent a lot of time in Sutter's doghouse because he couldn't perform like he normally could because he was playing hurt.  He was a healthy scratch at times when he should have been on IR. 

I’m 2018c, he had a great regular season, but lousy playoffs.

was getting ripped on radio for those playoffs, and the it came out that he probably shouldn’t have played. That offseason, they decided to just go with rest for his wrist and it limited his effectiveness. The following year he lost his spot with Gaudreau.

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'm willing to bet we re-sign him again unless he proves to rich and prices himself out of Montreal's grand plan

A big 29 year old center, a UFA, coming off a good year (assuming he has a good year and stays healthy) will not be cheap. 

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think there are much worse contracts than his.  

But the "worse contracts" (Gallagher ... Armia ... anyone else?) are far-harder/impossible to move.

36 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m 2018c, he had a great regular season, but lousy playoffs.

was getting ripped on radio for those playoffs, and the it came out that he probably shouldn’t have played. That offseason, they decided to just go with rest for his wrist and it limited his effectiveness. The following year he lost his spot with Gaudreau.

Yes, he should have taken a lot more time off to let it heal properly. He had a terrific 2018/19 season. 

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And in doing so he deprives the team of his best game and eventually even his being able to dress for extended periods ... INJURED players need to heal.

Yes. But we would have never made it to the cup final if they had followed that to the letter.

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But we would have never made it to the cup final if they had followed that to the letter.

I think everybody has always considered the playoffs a different beast ... sacrificing yourself to chase a Cup is quite different from sacrificing yourself for a completely unknown regular season result and being incapable of helping if the team manages to make the playoffs.

I also think that Price and Weber could/would well have been toast even if the team had been swept in the first round.

18 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A big 29 year old center, a UFA, coming off a good year (assuming he has a good year and stays healthy) will not be cheap. 

He seems to like Montreal along with his teammates and the coaching staff/management; plus he has made significant $ with the Flames.  It seems like he might be willing to take a discount and not ask for the moon to stay with the Habs.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM