Game #16: Flames at Canadiens, 7 PM on Tue 14 Oct

tomh009

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He was a 2nd line centre in the laughing stock of the league. At best he is a 3rd liner - always was. That’s why I hated giving up a 1st and 2nd for a 3rd line centre!! Who does that??? M friggen Bergevin!!!  Comparatively that deal makes Hughes look like Sam Pollack in picking up Dach!

I miss Romanov 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He was a 2nd line centre in the laughing stock of the league. At best he is a 3rd liner - always was. That’s why I hated giving up a 1st and 2nd for a 3rd line centre!! Who does that??? M friggen Bergevin!!!  Comparatively that deal makes Hughes look like Sam Pollack in picking up Dach!

It was a desperation play...he'd lost Danault, thinking KK could succeed him, and then he'd lost KK to Carolina's offershit. It's at times like that when GMs really tend to make glaring errors (think of Calgary signing Kadri to that idiotic contract).

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It was a desperation play...he'd lost Danault, thinking KK could succeed him, and then he'd lost KK to Carolina's offershit. It's at times like that when GMs really tend to make glaring errors (think of Calgary signing Kadri to that idiotic contract).

I actually think the Kadri contract is a lot better than the Huberdeau one.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yup, a desperation play. He had to find another center after losing KK and Danault. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think you play Dvorak and Anderson together, but do not let either of them anywhere near young guys that are the future like Caufield, Newhook, and Slafkovsky.

I like your suggestion 

Let Dvorak centre Gallagher and Anderson. Pearson isn’t a perfect fit on the top two lines but he has more game in him than first thought. 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It might look less bad right now but Kadri was also 3 years older when he signed it. At least Kadri will give you some grit when he is not scoring.

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's true, but I don't think anyone expected Huberdeau to collapse the way he's done. He'd been a PPG player for four years and was 29...it was a massive contract, one that would definitely look bad on the back end, but there was no reason to suppose they were getting a 50-point player. (I'm not defending that contract, just saying that H was a proven offensive star - a point easily forgotten when we condemn the contract as an obvious disaster).

Kadri got his deal after a single, ridiculous outlier season, was an old man at the time of signing, and is on the books for what, another six seasons? That was a deal that looked obviously bad from the moment it was signed IMHO.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don't know that a positive like "better" can be used to describe Kadri 's contract ... but less terrible would be appropriate ... and although he is older than Huberdeau, NK's contract at least ends two seasons sooner.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:53 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Matheson is exhibit A of an example of a dman that at times looks like a legit top pairing guy, but clearly isn’t one. He is an elite skater very skilled, but just makes too many bad decisions.

i don’t pay too much attention to giveaways for a puck moving skating dman - if you are going to carry thr puck, you are going to give away more than stay at home shot blocking, chase thr play dman.

the issue with Matheson is he just doesn’t seem to have a brain at times, and just is not consistent bough to be a true top pairing guy. He’s a lot like the streaky 20 goal scorer with a great shot and speed, but will never be a 30 or 40 goal guy.

In my mind, there is some kind of a scale of when a play is dangerous to make.  1 to 10, where 1 means there is plenty of time to make the move, no one around you, up by 3 goals, etc  and  10 means it's crazy dangerous,  you're the last player in front of your goalie, OT game 7 of SC Final and Patrice Bergeron AND Bob Gainey are pressing you. 

REAL skills guy like the Datsyuk, the Pastrnak and Mario Lemieux have the skills and confidence to try slick plays (deke, cut, wild pass, saucer, etc) in the  7-8-9 out of 10 range, and they will try them quite often.  And they will succeed most of the time because they are awesome. 

Now, we have the Makar, the Quinn Hughes and company, the big time offensive dmen with a lot of skills.  They're willing to take risk and try fancy moves in the danger zone of probably 6 and 7 max, otherwise, they will dump the puck on the board or something. And they will succeed mos of the time in that 6-7 range because they are quite skilled themselves too. 

Matheson, to me, is a player that tries too many slick moves in the 6-7 danger range but doesn't have the skill set to pull it off as often as the Makar and Hughes.
Sometimes, it will work and we're gonna be "WOAH, what a play by Matheson!!!"  like is coast to coast goal earlier this season.
But too often, it will result in a turnover or a broken play.

IMHO, if Matheson would hit the brake a lil' bit on these dangerous slick plays, especially when QBing the PP, it would serve him and the team better. 

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

In my mind, there is some kind of a scale of when a play is dangerous to make.  1 to 10, where 1 means there is plenty of time to make the move, no one around you, up by 3 goals, etc  and  10 means it's crazy dangerous,  you're the last player in front of your goalie, OT game 7 of SC Final and Patrice Bergeron AND Bob Gainey are pressing you. 

REAL skills guy like the Datsyuk, the Pastrnak and Mario Lemieux have the skills and confidence to try slick plays (deke, cut, wild pass, saucer, etc) in the  7-8-9 out of 10 range, and they will try them quite often.  And they will succeed most of the time because they are awesome. 

Now, we have the Makar, the Quinn Hughes and company, the big time offensive dmen with a lot of skills.  They're willing to take risk and try fancy moves in the danger zone of probably 6 and 7 max, otherwise, they will dump the puck on the board or something. And they will succeed mos of the time in that 6-7 range because they are quite skilled themselves too. 

Matheson, to me, is a player that tries too many slick moves in the 6-7 danger range but doesn't have the skill set to pull it off as often as the Makar and Hughes.
Sometimes, it will work and we're gonna be "WOAH, what a play by Matheson!!!"  like is coast to coast goal earlier this season.
But too often, it will result in a turnover or a broken play.

IMHO, if Matheson would hit the brake a lil' bit on these dangerous slick plays, especially when QBing the PP, it would serve him and the team better. 

I’d agree with that, but would also add that he seems lost at times in defensive zone coverage. It’s not just about trying a slick play, it’s not even covering a guy on a simple play.