Habs In Turin

CoRvInA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now the Pens are in 30th. And last I checked St Louis was something like 3-4 points ahead with a game or two in hand. It looks like they'll get the 1st overall pick. It would be great to get Kessel and have the best line in NHL history but you don't want to end up like Atlanta who has an explosive offence, a great goalie but zero defence - and Atlanta probably won't make the playoffs. Johnson would be my pick. He can play with Orpik and Whitney and then the Pens will be set for a dynasty. Then again, Crosby and Malkin are both playmakers. A finisher like Kessel would seal the deal. The problem is that Malkin and Crosby are both centers so one will have to move. But guys remember that will guys like Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh will be a popular UFA stop for some stars. This team is in great position. The only thing that can ruin this is their financial problems.

More Habs In Turin made history in Torino today. Mark Streit & former habs Paul DiPietro cruised to a 2-0 win over Canada IMO.

Did I say "cruised"?

Yes I did. Canada didn't really gain the slot. Their point shots were irrelevant. Point passing was irresponsible. They lost the one on one battles. Backdoor and trick plays were intercepted by the Swiss. The Swiss pokechecked Canada in both zones. Forty shots sounds like alot but most of them were not dangerous and Gerber saw them. As for the waived goals? The way Canada played, it's not an excuse.

Paul DiPietro scores 2. Streit played a strong game.

3 Stars

Gerber 0/40 shots.

DiPietro 2 Goals

Rick Nash - the best of the...Canada played awful. :(

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

We dont need Streit to be a world-beater, but adequate defense and some power-play production would be nice

What game did you guys watch? This injustice was not won by the Swiss, not to take away from their great effort, but by officials. Terrible calls all game. Looked like a Habs game. Yes Canada played under their ability but come on, both those goals were in . 2-2 tie, where is overtime? Bogus but if you want to revel in it, enjoy.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

What game did you guys watch? This injustice was not won by the Swiss, not to take away from their great effort, but by officials. Terrible calls all game. Looked like a Habs game. Yes Canada played under their ability but come on, both those goals were in . 2-2 tie, where is overtime? Bogus but if you want to revel in it, enjoy.

The one goal should have counted - the puck was over the line in Gerber's glove. I presume by "both those goals" you mean the puck that went into the net clearly after the whistle. There was no way that was a goal. The whistle went first. The Canadian clearly had a foot in the crease. I think Switzerland deserved the win. There were a number of bad penalty calls but they went both ways.

oh common. there were some questionable calls against Switzerland as well. They just said on CBC that the video ref only had 3 angles to work with which is unbelievable.. but gerber makes a huge save and you never see the puck in the net. the puck probably had crossed the line but canada shouldn't need such a goal to beat a team full of players who are too 'soft' for the NHL.

An upset is always a great thing for a tournament. and it's great to see that team work payes off. I hope the habs watched this game and see that a small but fast skating team can beat big strong teams if they work hard together. GO SWISS, GO HABS

oh common. there were some questionable calls against Switzerland as well. They just said on CBC that the video ref only had 3 angles to work with which is unbelievable.. but gerber makes a huge save and you never see the puck in the net. the puck probably had crossed the line but canada shouldn't need such a goal to beat a team full of players who are too 'soft' for the NHL.

An upset is always a great thing for a tournament. and it's great to see that team work payes off. I hope the habs watched this game and see that a small but fast skating team can beat big strong teams if they work hard together. GO SWISS, GO HABS

IMO - The puck must cross the goal line. The puck, the WHOLE puck and nothing but the puck. If the puck was nestled at the end of Gerber's trapper, it's still possible that it was not "entirely over" the line. If that's the case then it falls to "inconclusive" which means NO GOAL.

If Canada wanted a goal beyond this question they shouldn't have played a garbage game like that.

And they should have gotten the goals.

Canada wasn't ripped off. They just played terrible.

By the way. I didn't say it in this forum yet but why the Czech's didn't take Pleks is beyond me. Everyone talks of experience internationally. That's funny because of all the games I've watched this Olympics I've noticed a trend...that is, it's hockey.

Last time I czeched Pleks plays hockey and he's darned good at it!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

The one goal should have counted - the puck was over the line in Gerber's glove. I presume by "both those goals" you mean the puck that went into the net clearly after the whistle. There was no way that was a goal. The whistle went first. The Canadian clearly had a foot in the crease. I think Switzerland deserved the win. There were a number of bad penalty calls but they went both ways.

The Nash shot was no goal, it was a good call.

If the ref decided on the ice that it was a goal, the video review has to show it 100% that it was a goal.

If the ref decided on the ice that it was no goal, the video review has to show it 100% that it wasn't goal.

The ref never decided that it was a goal on the ice and you also never saw it 100% that the puck crossed the line. So the refs didn't make a mistake here.

Hopp Schwitz ... :P

If the ref decided on the ice that it was a goal, the video review has to show it 100% that it was a goal.

If the ref decided on the ice that it was no goal, the video review has to show it 100% that it wasn't goal.

The ref never decided that it was a goal on the ice and you also never saw it 100% that the puck crossed the line. So the refs didn't make a mistake here.

Koivu And Selanne KICKING ARSE!!!

Well I have to disagree. I think the video evidence was clear and that the puck was 100% over the line.

The shot showing Gerber's glove mostly in the net with only the empty front portion outside the net made it clear the puck was in his glove and over the line. Also the blownup shot seemed to show the puck in the webbing of his glove and over the line.

The problem was that the video replay official didn't have access to the very good replays shown on the CBC.

I don't think the ref is to blame at all. He only got to see the play live once. The replay official got it wrong but probaby only because he didn't have the good replays that showed it was a goal.

Right now the Pens are in 30th. And last I checked St Louis was something like 3-4 points ahead with a game or two in hand. It looks like they'll get the 1st overall pick. It would be great to get Kessel and have the best line in NHL history but you don't want to end up like Atlanta who has an explosive offence, a great goalie but zero defence - and Atlanta probably won't make the playoffs. Johnson would be my pick. He can play with Orpik and Whitney and then the Pens will be set for a dynasty. Then again, Crosby and Malkin are both playmakers. A finisher like Kessel would seal the deal. The problem is that Malkin and Crosby are both centers so one will have to move. But guys remember that will guys like Crosby and Malkin, Pittsburgh will be a popular UFA stop for some stars. This team is in great position. The only thing that can ruin this is their financial problems.

Did they change the draft system in the new CBA?

I thought the bottom 5 teams lotteried for their draft position.

Well I have to disagree. I think the video evidence was clear and that the puck was 100% over the line.

The shot showing Gerber's glove mostly in the net with only the empty front portion outside the net made it clear the puck was in his glove and over the line. Also the blownup shot seemed to show the puck in the webbing of his glove and over the line.

The problem was that the video replay official didn't have access to the very good replays shown on the CBC.

I don't think the ref is to blame at all. He only got to see the play live once. The replay official got it wrong but probaby only because he didn't have the good replays that showed it was a goal.

Regardless, Canada shouldn't have needed to rely on that single goal to win the game. Where was the rest of the offence?

Regardless, Canada shouldn't have needed to rely on that single goal to win the game. Where was the rest of the offence?

Yes I agree. As I said previously, the Swiss deserved the win. Even if that goal had been counted the Swiss had 2 goals.