Playoff Traditions For Luck

geolink

My wife bought me a brand new RBK Higgins jersey for Christmas its really sweet, but I started to notice that everytime I would wear it we would lose.

So I don't wear it anymore, instead I place it on a chair in the TV room with the numbers facing outwards, it has been sitting there for a long time...months probably.

Holy crap, you too??

Thats a coincidence, i did excactly the same, cuz we lost a couple with my new jersey.

lol ;)

Well Its almost 15 minutes till puck drops.

Leaving facial hair

Underwear inside out

Pots on tv's

Beer Bottles On Tv's

No sex

Ive heard it all. well most of it

Id like to hear other playoff traditions.

This will be a cool thread.

The pot on tv's that Geolink (a.k.a Bobo) is referring to started during the 86' Playoffs when my little brother, who was 2.5 yrs old then, placed a pot on our Zenith (i was 9 yrs old then).

My family left for the summer for our annual summer vacation to Greece in mid May, right after we beat the Rangers in the conference finals. We won that series 4-1 and the Game 5 (the clincher) was the only playoff game I've been to in my life.

My dad used to own a restaurant in Joliette, and he got the regional sales rep from Molson to pony up for some tickets as a return for our business. (My dad was threatening to switch to O'keefe). Although I was only 9, I remember the game vividly, especially the players tossing equipment and sticks into the stands after they clinched they're presence in the finals. The atmosphere outside the Forum after the game was nuts. People were out on the streets, screaming and celebrating. I remember myself hanging out of my dad's sunroof and chanting along. I also remember him taking me to Green Spot before the game for Hot Dogs, poutine and smokemeat. (a distant cousin of ours used to own it).

Anyway, back to the pot. As I was saying, we left for Greece for the summer (back when we could take 4 mth vacations), so I got to miss most of the finals. I found out the habs won the cup, (five days later than it actually happened of course, there were no papers or radio or anything) and I was extatic. When we came back from our vacation in September, I couldn't help but notice that the pot, was still on top of the TV. For some reason, I seem to believe that from within that pot came the positive karma that the Habs needed in order to win the cup.

Now, I haven't had a chance to re-enact the whole pot superstition but I am seriously considering it.

However, there are two problems I'd like u guys to help me out with.

1st - How to convince my wife I'm not crazy when she sees what I'm about to do.

2nd - How to balance a pot on top of a 40" LCD TV?

Any suggestions will be more than welcome. :ghg:

I don't think you need luck. The most tell tale stat you can use for the best odds of coming out of the conerence for a shot at the cup is the teams record against the other teams in the conference.

In this case Montreal has a 40-19-8 record and it is the best in the East. Detroit and San Jose are the only other teams to hit 40 wins or more to this point.

However, there are two problems I'd like u guys to help me out with.

1st - How to convince my wife I'm not crazy when she sees what I'm about to do.

2nd - How to balance a pot on top of a 40" LCD TV?

Any suggestions will be more than welcome. :ghg:

Any square U shaped device should create a flat surface on which you can put the pot.

Can't help you with #1 :D

That's intense. I'm only wearing the shirt I bought (above on April 22, 2006) on the day after a win. During the game I will be wearing the jersey below. No other superstitions for me. I used to take out all my Habs hockey cards and lay them in front of the TV, but I don't think any of them even play for us anymore, except Koivu and Brisebois. I would take them out but they're at my place in Ottawa.

Love this jersey!

61RTRgKRfNL._SS500_.jpg

I have that jersey as well. The only problem is that mine hasn't seen the light of day for 2 years (it's named and numbered. Theodore 60 :( )

Two years ago I went south to Cuba for the first week of the playoffs, and the Habs won both games, the night I came home...was the night Koivu got eye attacked by that SOB Williamson...so I'll be south again this year for the first week.

If we win the first two games, then a freak injury happens, everyone can blame me -_-.

Holy crap, you too??

Thats a coincidence, i did excactly the same, cuz we lost a couple with my new jersey.

lol ;)

I know it sucks not to wear such a sweet jersey but losing sucks even more.

Two years ago I went south to Cuba for the first week of the playoffs, and the Habs won both games, the night I came home...was the night Koivu got eye attacked by that SOB Williamson...so I'll be south again this year for the first week.

If we win the first two games, then a freak injury happens, everyone can blame me -_-.

Don't worry I will ;)

The only playoff superstition I had was during the 93 playoffs.

I used to go to my dad's place to watch all the playoff games back then and after the first 2 losses

against Quebec my dad would come in mid first period from work and I had switched up the seating.

I sat in his seat, the recliner and he sat in my seat on the couch.

The Habs ripped off an 11 game win streak. As the streak got larger I made sure to stay in place

and my dad gladly obliged. When the win streak ended I was camping and not in my familiar spot.

For some crazy reason at the start of the Cup Finals I was back on the couch. If I recall it began on

a Sunday and my dad did not work and had reclaimed his spot. As Gretzky slid in the open net goal

I looked at him and told him it was his fault.

For game 2 I was back in the proper position and 4 games later the rest is history.

A silly coincidence or was it just the little extra karma that we all added to in a tiny way :)

Anyway. My dad and I repeated the same thing for the 94 playoffs and could not recapture the luck.

Needless to say after the game 7 loss to the Bruins I returned a week later to see his whole living room turned

around :lol:

Maybe we will try to recapture the luck for the 2008 run

:rolleyes: Yeah, because trying to lift a guy's stick is obviously an attack. And to boot you don't even get his name right.

:rolleyes: Yeah, because trying to lift a guy's stick is obviously an attack. And to boot you don't even get his name right.

The thing that pissed me off in that series was

1. No penalty was called on that play (In a 1-0 game a 4 minute penalty would have been huge)

2. Two minutes later Williams high sticks Markov and once again no call.

I guess giving him a penalty wouldn't teach the guy a lesson if almost carving out somebody's eye didn't.

1- I NEVER watch the game in english on CBC...it is NEVER a good outcome if I do

2- I will drink nothing but Molson Export

3- I wear my Kovalev Jersey religiously even if its 23 degrees outside and humid as hell in my house

4- I always have a full tank of gas or enough money to take a cab somewhere in the case a power outage or something bizarre does happen so I can watch the game somewhere else :lol: I know it happened to my brother and I before a Canada gold medal game several years ago.

Cant wait for the Serie Eliminatoires!!

GO HABS GO!! :hlogo:

If the situation had been reversed and it was Koivu hitting Williams, then everyone here would be calling it an accident and nobody would even remember it.

Maybe, but what does that have to do with the non call? And don't you think if you just cut a guy's eyeball that on the next shift

you would be a little more responsible? You cannot absolve Williams from all blame. He was careless with his stick two times

in a matter of minutes and to add insult to injury was not penalized either time.

6 minutes of penalties in a series that close in a must win game may have made a big difference.

He is accountable for accidents. And I have no problem with people hating him or blaming him.

I have intimate relations with the girlfriend within a day before gametime, I drink a shot of scotch before every period in my habs shotglass, i wear my habs jersey and my habs ballcap... I take a shot for every habs goal scored, and sometimes when they get a powerplay... :D

Man you drink like me, only I prefer Jager

My wife bought me a brand new RBK Higgins jersey for Christmas its really sweet, but I started to notice that everytime I would wear it we would lose.

So I don't wear it anymore, instead I place it on a chair in the TV room with the numbers facing outwards, it has been sitting there for a long time...months probably.

Also if I happen to miss the beginning of a game and we are winning I am "not allowed" to watch the rest of game. For instance I missed the first 2 periods of last nights game against the Sens but I watched the third period. And we all know how that ended....the only reason I watched it was because we had a 6 goal lead and I thought "theres no way we can lose this game". When it got to 7-5 I turned the channel and just caught the Highlights after.

I actually believe I am a curse but I just Couldn't help myself, I mean 7 freakn 1 for crying out loud.

I also blocked our goalie for the start of the third. My fault too.

I have that jersey as well. The only problem is that mine hasn't seen the light of day for 2 years (it's named and numbered. Theodore 60 :( )

That is why they are suppose to all be #9 !!!!

If the situation had been reversed and it was Koivu hitting Williams, then everyone here would be calling it an accident and nobody would even remember it.

Accident or not, a high stick caused blood. 4 minutes in the sin bin should have been handed out. I'm not saying, I am just saying... 4 minutes for high sticking!!!! Bad no call.

I suggest that everyone buy a troll doll and leave it on top of their TV. Though mine has been there during the regular season. Everytime my cat knocks it over, we lose though.

I may not be watching the game at home though. I just come home after a loss to find a tipped over troll doll.

Accident or not, a high stick caused blood. 4 minutes in the sin bin should have been handed out. I'm not saying, I am just saying... 4 minutes for high sticking!!!! Bad no call.

Absolutely, I never said that it wasn't a bad non-call. I'm perfectly fine with holding it against the refs for missing the call.