Koivu Career In Jeopardy?

GoHabs2002

The Gazette had a cover story this morning (Saturday) entitled "Koivu Future Uncertain".

THey still don't know the extent of the damage and the recovery might go into next season.

This is major implications to what the Canadiens will want to do this summer....

If Koivu is forced to retire, we have an extra 4.75m but a huge void at center and in the locker room

If Koivu isn't forced to retire, but is uncertain of his return, we can have an extra 4.75m as he will be on long-term injury list and won't count against the cap, but when he returns it'll count automatically, so that might limit Gainey's options.

And does it enhance Gainey's objective for a offensive center?

Get well Koivu

This is not good news - it's one thing to be uncertain about returning for the beginning of the season - or even the whole of the next season ... but to be uncertain as to whether or not the injury is career threatening. Whoa.

I'd much rather have Koivu than the cap space. He's too valuable to the club. I don't see this causing Gainey to rush things. I don't believe 2006-2007 is the Habs 'year'. The ship is still in the process of being righted. If the Habs are in it still at mid-season and Koivu's status is clarified, then BG will be in a position to make a trade for a center and take on the contract - but, I don't think this will impact BG's thinking in the short term.

its horrifying to think that koivu's career could be finished by such a stupid incident. If in fact his injuries prevent him from playing, I hope they are not such as to hinder him in simple, everyday life.

Get well Saku.

Here are two good links on this report.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167115&hubname=

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/205183.html

Any type of eye injury takes time to heal. I don't think people should panic right now. Having known several people who have had eye surgeries it's quite common and normal that it takes a long time to heal. All Koivu needs is time.

I have the feeling that they are over dramatizing it. Sure, there is a small risk he could have more issues with the eye, but it is a small risk. They have to make it seem dire so they can trumpet this mighty comeback in the fall.

As Koiuv himself put it, this is not cancer.

My main concern with his hockey will be how much of the summer he misses healing. This kind of injury limits his ability to work out (you don't want fluctuating blood pressure and exertion) so he is going to wither away. At his age, it will not be easy to get back in shape for the fall if he spends the next two months on the shelf.

In any case, lets hope he recovers very soon.

Hopefully everything will work out for Koivu. It sounds bad now, but maybe time will heal all wounds.

Really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. And leaves no doubt in my mind who public enemy #1 in Montreal should be.

Might I add, its disgusting that some people seem to care only about the cap room and whether we can get another centre. This man is the heart and soul of the franchise. Without him, as we saw in the playoffs, Montreal just isn't a winning team.

Get well Saku.

For as much as he's not a true number 1 center that can carry this team, it would be a huge loss if he doesn't recover.

The Habs definitley need to be looking for a trade or free agent signing incase his eye doesn't heal well enough.

I have the feeling that they are over dramatizing it. Sure, there is a small risk he could have more issues with the eye, but it is a small risk. They have to make it seem dire so they can trumpet this mighty comeback in the fall.

As Koiuv himself put it, this is not cancer.

My main concern with his hockey will be how much of the summer he misses healing. This kind of injury limits his ability to work out (you don't want fluctuating blood pressure and exertion) so he is going to wither away. At his age, it will not be easy to get back in shape for the fall if he spends the next two months on the shelf.

In any case, lets hope he recovers very soon.

You can look at it a different way, he probably needs time to heel. So he won't be ready for the start of the season. That means somebody else have to step up. Or a great Center has to be aquired. And better have Koivu there @ the end of the season than in the beginning. We can mis him then! And @ this moment we have all summer to prepare, we didnt have that time in the playoffs when we lost him...

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

First and foremost, Koivu's physical and mental well-being should be the biggest concern. He's been through so much and now this. I hope he makes a full recovery.

But I also agree the Habs need Koivu as a player. I think they need all the offensive talents they can get.

Hmmmmm............ I do think that I heard, in the wind, a newspaper editor-in-chief (at the Gazette???) telling his reporters: "Go out there and find me some news and, if you don't find anything of great interest, create some good news stories!!!" .

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Hmmmmm............ I do think that I heard, in the wind, a newspaper editor-in-chief (at the Gazette???) telling his reporters: "Go out there and find me some news and, if you don't find anything of great interest, create some good news stories!!!" .

:king: :hlogo: :king:

My thoughts exactly!!

Still, get better Saku, and I hope everything is well with Hanna (I had no idea she was pregnant again).

I get sick to my stomach every time I see that douch bag Williams on tv.....to think that pr*ck may have ended Koivu's career really ticks me off.

I have to second this but not as strongly as Williams did this to 3 habs players in the series that I caught. (Might have been more) The other blatant high stick on Markov made me throw popcorn at the tube! No Penalty. How does one write to Gary (I will sell you a team) Bettman about a careless player?

I hope Saku regains his sight and can continue his career.

I don't think it's that bad. I've read the article, and Sak said that he can see, but is bothered by the sunlight. I don't think that it's as bad as Bryan Berard's injury. He may not get a full recovery, but neither did Berard, and he's still playing at a good level. Saku will come back even stronger, and even if it doesn't get back as it was, he still can get a surgery, and be OK like Berard.

Here's the link: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...743bb81&k=18219

I don't think it's that bad. I've read the article, and Sak said that he can see, but is bothered by the sunlight. Here's the link: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...743bb81&k=18219

You don't think its bad? Its a full month after it happened and he can't open his eye without assitance.

Its pretty bad. Maybe not as bad as Berard's, but bad enough.

Its a sad that its come to this but he will never be the same. Players and people never fully recover from this. Brian Berrard and Al McInnis are perfect examples. When McInnis came back he was never the same for the blues. And Berrards ups and downs have been well known. Is is such a horrible event to end a career on a injury that should not have happend if he was wearing the right equipment.

Its a sad that its come to this but he will never be the same. Players and people never fully recover from this. Brian Berrard and Al McInnis are perfect examples. When McInnis came back he was never the same for the blues. And Berrards ups and downs have been well known. Is is such a horrible event to end a career on a injury that should not have happend if he was wearing the right equipment.

A visor wasn't the right equipment? He even wore his helmet correctly on his head, unlike some guys who let it ride up and the visor is practically useless.

The only thing that would have helped, is a full face piece.

He was wearing good equipment, and wearing it properly.

Who are you? The Grim Reaper?

Koivu has to be one of hockeys most unfortunate players. Cancer, injury after injury... When will this guy get a break? For Williams part... if this happens again from his stick then give him a years suspension damnit.

I said this a few days ago but, I think this has more teeth to it then just the eye injury update of sorts.

With another little one on the way I think Saku and his family are considering all his options from a family first perspective.

I'm not saying he is going to retire, but I'd bet for the first time in his career he is thinking it over.

Injury after injury is hard enough, but one that almost has a major impact on the rest of his life outside of hockey (aside from cancer). Saku must be wondering how much longer his luck will hold up.

Saku is downplaying the injury a bit right now and all he has said is that the eye will get better with time. He hasn't said much about wanting to play again.

Saku is downplaying the injury a bit right now and all he has said is that the eye will get better with time. He hasn't said much about wanting to play again.

nor the say he wanted to quit..the guy's too proud to leave this early

I heard a nice interview the other day on the radio. he said that he would love to win as a montreal canadiens not as a nashville predators.

he aslo feels that the habs are going in the right direction and even said some kind words about the kids..

I really hope that his eyes heals completely and quickly. at least, he's been given the green light about flying back to finland thats a start

When I meant the right equipment I was talking about a full face mask. When it comes to safety NHL lacks in that department. Only when people die from something in the NHL they actually take notice. Take in point the girl who died in Columbus which made netting above the glass mandatory.

When I meant the right equipment I was talking about a full face mask. When it comes to safety NHL lacks in that department. Only when people die from something in the NHL they actually take notice. Take in point the girl who died in Columbus which made netting above the glass mandatory.

You'll never see a mandatory full facemask in the NHL