Gagne In Montreal?

C-Love

Sniper, I agree that it does not happen often. I do want to say that even if you have 4 1st round picks, there is a good poss. that none of them materialize into an actual NHL'er.

You can't compare old drafts to recent drafts.

So much has changed not only in prospect quality but in Habs personnel.

Kozed, I don't know if you read my post before, while I do agree that RFA offers don't get done often as a sign of respect, some teams still try. Some western team made Luongo a 8.2M per season offer sheet. He turned it down.

No Simon Gagne is not worth the $5 Million plus it would take to sign him nor is he worth the 4 first round picks Montreal would lose as compensation.

Last year was his only decent year in the NHL, and thats because he played with Peter Forsberg.

When Forsberg went down with an injury, Gagne tanked and his goal scoring feel off dramatically. ANd Gagne has no Peter Forsberg to play with in Montreal.

Infact with Forsberg out till atleast Christmas with his ankles and potentially the season, I'm willing to be Gagne struggles to score 30 goals and 60 points. Montreal already has two overpaid 60 point players Koviu ($4.75 M) and Kovalev ($4.5M)

guy's theres always trades possible, dont the flyers want a defensmen.....*cough*souray*cough* and some other stuff lol.

Souray?

Doesn't Clarke have enough pylons already? ;)

Rangers tried to steal Sakic from us in 1999 when he was an RFA.

I knew someone would bring that up. And didnt Carolina tried to steal Fedorov from Detroit too (or something like that...)

My point was that since the Scott Stevens/Brendan Shanahan debacles back in the 90-91, there has been basically no RFA that changed teams. The NHLPA often made claims that it was some form of collusion on the part of the owners/GMs given all the quality players who have been RFAs over the years; but whichever the case is it would be quite exceptionnal if Gagne would become a Habs consequently to a Gainey offer sheet.

No Simon Gagne is not worth the $5 Million plus it would take to sign him nor is he worth the 4 first round picks Montreal would lose as compensation.

Last year was his only decent year in the NHL, and thats because he played with Peter Forsberg.

When Forsberg went down with an injury, Gagne tanked and his goal scoring feel off dramatically. ANd Gagne has no Peter Forsberg to play with in Montreal.

Infact with Forsberg out till atleast Christmas with his ankles and potentially the season, I'm willing to be Gagne struggles to score 30 goals and 60 points. Montreal already has two overpaid 60 point players Koviu ($4.75 M) and Kovalev ($4.5M)

We were fine with paring an 32 year old Arnott 5M for 20 goals, so why not Gagne (who also hits, plays well defensively, has a good work ethic, is a pretty big center, etc, etc, etc) at 5 mill for 30 goals? Of course, we have no one to replace Forsberg but between two guys like Kovalev and Kostitsyn or maybe playing next to a playmaker like Koivu, Plekanec or Ribeiro he has the potential to have another 40 goal season. I still would never pay the 4 1sts for him though. Or for anyone.

Simon Gagne is one of few players I would consider to be worth 4 first rounders.

He has a lot of potential. Almost a franschise player and in my book a first line leftwinger is what the Habs are missing in order to be a contenders.

He's also young and he's local. Great ethic and will only get better. I think the Habs are deep in prospects and missing a firstrounder in four years hurts, but the payoff could make it worth it.

But in the end it all depends on two things.

Can the Flyers afford him and does he want's to play in Montreal?

Gagné was well on his way to become a very good offensive player with a quick rise early in his career, until Ken Hitchcock came to Phily. From then on, Gagné got caught in what we could call the "Bulis Cycle", which means Gagne was stuck on a defensive role on the 3rd line; then called upon to be an offensive player when lines were shuffled; then back to a defensive role, then in the dog house of Hitchcock for not being physical enough, then back in his good graces, then injured, etc. Last season was maybe Gagné's first good one stats-wise under Hitchcock.

Which begets the question: how would Gagné play with a coach (Carbo) was spend a lot of time with Hitchcock in Dallas? Would everything be different because Gagné would be a 1st liner; or would it end up being more of the same and we'd get a repeat of the Pierre Turgeon debacle?

Simon Gagne is one of few players I would consider to be worth 4 first rounders.

He has a lot of potential. Almost a franschise player and in my book a first line leftwinger is what the Habs are missing in order to be a contenders.

He's also young and he's local. Great ethic and will only get better. I think the Habs are deep in prospects and missing a firstrounder in four years hurts, but the payoff could make it worth it.

But in the end it all depends on two things.

Can the Flyers afford him and does he want's to play in Montreal?

With all that you said a lot makes sence but the most sence to me is: "missing a firstrounder in four years hurts", this is the truth cuz we may have the opportunity to select the 'next' Gagne and have him have an imidiate impact just like Gagne had when he come into the big league, and he would cost less then Gagne would at this present moment.

I understand that in the resent past the draft choices of the Habs in the first round have not been that great to the exeption of Komi. but are we going/willing to give up the next 4 firstrounders under this new team of dafter for the sake of one player?

And I thought the major problem is the center position with the Habs next year?

on a personal note if Gagne has a problem with playing with MY/OUR BELOVED HABS F*** HIM, cuz I don't think the lippy flys have the money for him.

Edited by ehjay

Guys, its not 4 first rounders any more, its 2 first rounders and a 2 other draft picks. I think BG should follow Pat Hickey's advice... ask Bobby Clarke what he wants and if the asking price is too high make Gagne an offer.

I have no experience of beeing a General Manager in the NHL, but at least I think this is worth looking at.

I don't know how many draftpicks a team has to use before a guy like Simon Gagne comes around.

SCREW THE PICKS

If we can get Lecavalier via trade, I say screw the draft picks and go grab Gagne. We need to win a Cup THIS decade, for history's sake. Habs are all about history. THey have to win 1 at least in each decade. Come on let's try at least!

SCREW THE PICKS

If we can get Lecavalier via trade, I say screw the draft picks and go grab Gagne. We need to win a Cup THIS decade, for history's sake. Habs are all about history. THey have to win 1 at least in each decade. Come on let's try at least!

2009, baby. And I promise you, Lecavalier won't be there.

• 2 weeks later...
If Gainey is watching any team closely it's the Devils. How in the hell are they going to re-sign Hale, Martin, Gionta and Gomez without exceeding the max allowable cap (the cap is 44M but the max you can go is 49M rounded up).

From what i've read ... nothing concrete though ... is that if Gomez and Gionta both are rewared arbirtaion deals that put the devils over the cap then Lou A. has the option to buy any two players out .. one for each arbitraion award ... that won't count against the cap ... can we say mogilny and malakhov ?? that's about 7 mil and that will put them back under the cap with Gomez, Gionta, Hale and Martin

that's what i've heard was in the new rules ... but i'm not 100% sure so take it for what it is :)

From what i've read ... nothing concrete though ... is that if Gomez and Gionta both are rewared arbirtaion deals that put the devils over the cap then Lou A. has the option to buy any two players out .. one for each arbitraion award ... that won't count against the cap ... can we say mogilny and malakhov ?? that's about 7 mil and that will put them back under the cap with Gomez, Gionta, Hale and Martin

that's what i've heard was in the new rules ... but i'm not 100% sure so take it for what it is :)

Wow, if that's true, Lou is a slick, slick mahn.

Bobby Clarke and Simon Gagné are far from a deal..

But taking into account the UFA signing of Sergei Samsonov and our salary cap commitments (not including Ryder's to-be-determined salary), I can safely say Gagné as a Canadien isn't feasible.

eppp remember....provided a trade isnt in order

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

The Philadelphia Flyers continue to talk with Simon Gagne and his agent, Bob Sauve, about a new contract. Sauve was the agent who negotiated Alex Tanguay's new deal with the Flames for $5.25 million per season. The two are comparable, and it is believed that is what Gagne is looking for, if not a bit more. GM Bob Clarke maintains that signing Gagne is his number one priority.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

The Philadelphia Flyers continue to talk with Simon Gagne and his agent, Bob Sauve, about a new contract. Sauve was the agent who negotiated Alex Tanguay's new deal with the Flames for $5.25 million per season. The two are comparable, and it is believed that is what Gagne is looking for, if not a bit more. GM Bob Clarke maintains that signing Gagne is his number one priority.

Tanguay was also tough to negotiate with. Maybe this agent is just a douchebag.

About Lou. I'm pretty sure he isn't allowed to wash away Malakhov and Mogilny's contracts. Both of them are already gone but he isn't allowed to buy them out because they're over a specific age (35, i think). But maybe, if they're signed by arbitration then maybe it's all different.

Malakhov can't be bought out because he retired.

He's not getting paid, but his salary still counts its a multi-year deal and he was 35 or older when he signed.

A good plan by the NHL in theory to dissaude teams from blowing the bank on old-timers.

Edited by smon

No player is worth 4 first-round picks, except maybe a true franchise player a la Ovechkin. But Hickey's point was that the Habs should sniff around about trading to acquire Gagne. That seems reasonable; it can't hurt to ask.

It's not 4 1st rounders which is why reporters and writers are mentioning it. Under the new CBA, an RFA is not as painful to attain.

OFFER Compensation in new CBA

$660,000 or below None

Over $660,000 to $1 million Third round pick

Over $1.0 million to $2.0 million Second round pick

Over $2.0 million to $3.0 million 1st and 3rd round pick

Over $3.0 million to $4.0 million 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Over $4.0 million to $5.0 million (2)1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Over $5 million (4)1st round picks - You are correct if he gets that offer sheet though. Which, if he's compared to Tanguay is a given. I suspect that's where all these 1 year deals are coming from. GM's might be wary that they are available to be stolen in this manner. Hence, "get him on the books".

Like I said in an earlier thread, not much chance an RFA gets offered more than $4million.

Yep, it's easier to pluck RFA's than it was under old CBA

Having said all of this, Gainey made it clear that RFA offerings are dirty business. So I doubt he will listen to Hickey.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Tanguay was also tough to negotiate with. Maybe this agent is just a douchebag.

tanguay always had to fight for his money. negociation between him and lacroix have always been tough. I don't know why lacroix has always been so hard on him but now that he's in calgary, I hope he'll come back to aunt(sp?) his former team

Malakhov can't be bought out because he retired.

I tought that was still in contention? If he's really retired I mean

He retired then a few days later changed his mind because he want to touch his money but I havent followed that story since.. I'm just glad the Habs are not stuck with him anymore.