Turn Green Bleus Blanc En Rouge

Sir_Boagalott

I'd like to see the Habs get Travis Green. :P

Green is a Ryan Smyth type player, just with less talent, but almost the same amount of determination and heart. Sure, Greens abilities are probably only 50% of Smyths, but the Habs could get him for 25% of Smyths salary = a pretty good deal to me. :king:

Green wont be a player who can guarentee a SCF birth, but not many are, especially that would come fairly cheap. I bet the Habs could nab him up right now for 1-1.5 mil/season, and that would be a great addition.

Green is Canadian, and he isnt afraid to take a hit, and actually goes into the corners, and is willing to take punushment to end up with the puck.

The Habs definitely need more tough gritty type players, and Green is just that, and has a cheap price tag, so why not?

Dont forget that Green was 1 of the better Bruins when the Habs faced em in the playoffs. No clue why the B's bought him out, probably because they over paid him. Also, Green was a Laff, so why not sign him right cheap just to show the Laffs how clueless they are. ;)

I, for one, would rather have a young guy come in instead of Travis Green.

Agreed 100% - why waste money on marginal talent when you have lots more & better already in the system waiting to play. It's not like he's going to make the Habs a contender.......

I wouldn't mind him as a press-box player. I'd always rather have a marginal veteran than a young kid in the press-box. Don't like it when youngsters have to be in the press-box as emergency players, stunting their development.

Agreed 100% - why waste money on marginal talent when you have lots more & better already in the system waiting to play. It's not like he's going to make the Habs a contender.......

Green isnt marginal though. He's at least a C+ player, but i'd even say could be B- (he has had 3 20+ Goal seasons). Green is definitely an underated player. Green is gritty, and a good shit disturber (better than the 1 Habs have anyway), and gives'r like Koivu. There is nobody in the Habs system like him, thats whyt they should get him. ;)

If the Habs sign no one, then who will replace the Euro trash the Habs already have but want to get rid of? Thats what the Euro prospects are for, to replace the Euro's the Habs want to ditch. :P

We definitely still need Canadians on the Canadiens. The Canadian habs forwards are pretty much jokes at the physical aspect of hockey. I could knock Ryder over by sneezing on him, and all I'd have to do for Ribeiro is just go to sneeze, and he'd collapse and writher in pain. :lol:

Green??? No thanks. Next.

And keep your Euro trash comments from reaching your fingertips and save us all the embarassment.

Please and thank you.

I am sure the Euro Habsworld members would concur.

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

And keep your Euro trash comments from reaching your fingertips and save us all the embarassment.

Please and thank you.

I am sure the Euro Habsworld members would concur.

:ninja:

:blush:

I'm not suggesting that all Euro players are trash. There are indeed many elite Euro's in the NHL. However, the Habs only have a few of these elite players in their large collection of Euros. The non elite Euro Habs, could be moved and not missed, and I'm definitely not the only 1 who would like to see several of the under achieving Euro Habs moved.

Dont forget thats it's an actual fact that no team has never won the Cup without having a solid core of Canadian players. If you dont beleive me, ask a Senators fan. :lol:

The Habs lack such a solid core of Canadian players, because they have to many average Euro's. Historically teams are better off having a collection of average Canadians than a collection average Euro's.

The experiment with several of the existing Euro Habs should be considered a failure, and on with the Euro prospects. The remaining spots in the roster should be filled with Canadians. After all the Habs are the Montreal Canadiens, not the Montreal Euroiens. ;)

It's interesting that, after saying our Euros are the problem, you go on to identify name two Canadians as particularly soft. :?-

We need more Canadian forwards... just not the Canadian forwards we have! :huh:

Edited by Mont Royale

I would bring him in to start on the 4th line. He has more potential than Downey and he still won't hurt us.

But seriously, shut up about the Euro trash. First of all, the only Euro on are team I can see any Habs fan calling trash is Bonk (or maybe Streit). So just say Bonk, not the Euros the Habs have. And then.... read the Bonk thread.

The Habs' Euro "Trash":

Aebischer: Sure, he got off to a rough start with the Habs, but then so did Roloson before he hit the groove with Edmonton and took them to the SCF. Certainly not overpaid and I can deal with him either backing up or sharing goaltending duties with Huet for most of the season. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Bonk - Sure, he might be slightly overpaid and maybe doesn't hit enough, but he's great defensively and as a PKer. Look for him to up his offensive totals this year. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Huet: He singlehandedly turned this club around by giving them reliable and consistent goaltending and led them to a playoff berth. What's even more amazing is that most people didn't expect anything from him. He was supposed to back-up Theodore and try to fill the void left by Garon for a single year before returning to Europe. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Koivu - Many believed him to be overpaid before the FA period, but now I believe he's a steal at 4.75. He's probably not a bonafide number one centreman, but he's pretty damn close and works hard while bringing a ton of leadership. He's also our frikkin' captain! Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Kovalev - While he does tend to float from time to time, he can be expected to turn it up when you need it the most and be an absolute game-breaker. He's probably the closest thing we have to a "superstar," and I feel he's great for our young "Russian" players. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Markov - Our best defenseman hands down. Need I say any more? Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Perezhogin - A great young player with top-line potential. While I was expecting more out of him last season, I was also expecting him to be playing on one of the top two lines. Kudos to him for sticking in there despite the constant line shuffling and the bad management from Julien. Also, he was one of our better playoff performers. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Plekanec - An excellent two-way forward with an explosive shot. I wasn't expecting much from him last year, but he certainly surprised me and made me fall in love. Providing Gainey doesn't bring in another centre, I would like to see him get a shot at stealing the second centreman position from Ribeiro. And again, one of our better playoff performers. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Streit - Many hate him, but I actually like him. I was pleased at his development over the past year, although I wonder if it would have been better for him to adapt while in the AHL and let Hainsey stay with the big club. Nonetheless, I see bigger and better things from our Swiss defender next year. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

Zednik - Another Habs player in the doghouse. While he certainly had a disappointing year, I wouldn't be ready to toss him just yet unless the right deal comes along. Many point to Bonk's groin injury as part of a reason for a disappointing first half. Zednik too suffered a groin injury just as the season began, perhaps accounting for his dismal play? Regardless, I felt he was starting to pick it up in the second half and I enjoyed his play during the playoffs. I have no qualms seeing him as an offensive threat on our third line next year. Grade: NOT Euro Trash.

This message has been brought to you by the Justinian Council of Europhiles.

I would hate to see Green come to Montreal. Don't even want to thing about it, I couldn't stand him in Toronto and would hate to have to cheer for him in the future. No thanks.

You know, this Euro trash comment is a bit offbase but I understand what he's getting at.

He's talking about inconsistent play, laziness, and engimatic outbursts of talent. The frustration of seeing these guys float and not finish checks. And the chief culprits on Montreal would have to be Alexei Kovalev, Richard Zednik and Mike Ribiero (although he's not European).

Take the example of Kovalev - He stunned us with some great physical play by giving Darcy Tucker what he deserved in one game. But it proved that for the many nights he didn't do that, not because he can't, but because he didn't want to. And during the playoffs, when he was needed to step up and try and offset the loss of Koivu, he was shutdown offensively.

The opposite of such players would be guys like Ryan Smyth, Fernando Pisani, Jamie Langenbrunner, etc.. who can always be counted to score in the clutch, but don't have as much sheer talent. A less talented example would be Steve Begin. Not a whole lot of talent, but consistent and inspired effort all the time. And of course we also have Saku Koivu, who certainly doesn't float. He has suffered prolonged slumps, but his effort level is always the same.

smon, thats basically exactly what I mean, with some exceptions. I would never refre to King Kov as Euro trash, although I do agree with what you said that he can be way to soft at times, but he definitely still is an elite Euro. Kov's probably got 1 of the most accurate shots in the game. Some of the angles he shoots at and scores goals are sick. That 1 he got in the playoffs, I dont think any other player would have made that shot. The gap he shot it though was basically just a bit bigger than the puck.

guys like Ryan Smyth, Fernando Pisani, Jamie Langenbrunner, etc.. who can always be counted to score in the clutch, but don't have as much sheer talent

They dont always score in the clutch, but when they arent putting points on the scoreboard, they are at least getting stats. i.e. hits

It's interesting that, after saying our Euros are the problem, you go on to identify name two Canadians as particularly soft. :?-

We need more Canadian forwards... just not the Canadian forwards we have! :huh:

Personally, I dont think what I said is confusing at all, I'm confused you are confused. :huh:

There are basically 2 types of players, those who are finess, and those who are physical. Sterotypically, Canadians are on the physical side, and Euro's the finess. However, the majority of Can F the Habs have, are more on the finess side.

It's impossible for any team to go anywhere in the playoffs soley based on finess alone. To balence out the team with the Can F the Habs have, they would need the more physical Euro's like Ville Neminen, Rutoo, & Forsberg (along with Koivu).

I would bring him in to start on the 4th line. He has more potential than Downey and he still won't hurt us.

But seriously, shut up about the Euro trash. First of all, the only Euro on are team I can see any Habs fan calling trash is Bonk (or maybe Streit). So just say Bonk, not the Euros the Habs have. And then.... read the Bonk thread.

No, but seriously, get over it. I wont tell you to shut up, cuz that'd be rude. Funny you demand I not call a Euro trash, but in the samed reply you call 1 trash. :lol:

The main reason why I said Euro trash, is because basically everyone here thinks a certain Euro should be gone, just most of us disagree on which Euro. ;)

lol

I never called Bonk Euro trash. I said that was the only guy I can see a Habs fan call Euro trash. I actually love Bonk and consider him one of the better and more important players on this team. Don't put words in my mouth.

lol

I never called Bonk Euro trash. I said that was the only guy I can see a Habs fan call Euro trash. I actually love Bonk and consider him one of the better and more important players on this team. Don't put words in my mouth.

Yeah, it used to belong to Jan "the Man" Bulis, but he's gone now. :king:

Yeah, it used to belong to Jan "the Man" Bulis, but he's gone now. :king:

ouch !!

I don't think the problem resides in the fact that we have many europeans but the fact that we have too many players playing the same style

as for green he's a cancer. I would hate to see him take the place of a younger kid. besides, he could only play on our 4 th line and it's already full with the likes of begin, bonk, downey and murray. we also have the depth in hamilton to fill their spot. lapierre, ferland....

For starters, I understoff what was meant being the "Euro Trash" bit. And I still strongly disagree with it.

Linking "Euros" with a propensity to laziness and non-physical play is a Don Cherry-like stereotype. You could make an arguable point that perhaps they are more interested in World Championship or the Olympics than in the Stanley Cup; but for the rest its crap.

By now, there's little difference between N-A players and Euro players as a whole. Our best player in the last playoffs was an Euro (Kovalev), our most dedicated player was an Euro (Plekanec). Lidstrom is a clutch player. Ovechkin is as lethal a scorer as a hitter. Guys like Hasek and Kiprusoff can be compared to any N-A goalies as far as consistency and clutch are concerned. Etc.

Lumping players into categories based on their nationality -- especially if to paint them with such a broad paintbrush as "trash" -- is not welcomed here on Habsworld.

For starters, I understoff

I'm sorry. I cannot comprehend this strange word. I did not read the rest of your post.

;)