Briere Arbitration Makes Him A Habs?

zumpano21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would love to see Brière with the Habs, I dont think it would be a wise move for the future of the concession.. it would screw our cap room and we would have no choice but to let Rivet and Sourray go next year as UFA.

Plus Brière wil lend up the season with what.. 30 points more than Ribiero? Let say Ribs make 60 pts and Brière 90.. sounds realistic no? And Brière males 3 million more... I dont know about you, but $100,000 per extra point doesnt sounds like well spent money to me.

Edited by Jean

I think the Sabres will hang on to Briere... and in no way would he be needed in MTL, now that we have Samsonov..

Daniel Briere....small in stature , but enormous heart...not afraid to stick his nose in.....I remember during the playoffs, when Buffalo was playing Ottawa, how he kept on challenging Chara (even physically on numerous occasions), and at times, made Chara look very silly.....unfortunately, this is also the same reason why he gets hurt a lot.....love to have him on the Habs lineup.....would be an instant fan favorite (Begin proportions??)........but, unless they gave the Sabres Ribs, Bonk, and a prospect only, at this moment, the Habs would probably pass.

I dont think Briere got overpaid at 5M$/season. He averaged 1.21 PPG average in the regular season. On a full season that gives about 100 pts. Only 7 players got 100 pts last season. Koivu and Kovalev weren't even on pace for 82 pts. They're paid 3.2 and 4.5. Briere is co-captain of a team that went to the last game of the East-Conf. Finals after being out of the playoffs for 3 straight season. As much as I like Saku, I'm still waiting to see the Habs in the Eastern-Conference Finals or see him play at a 1.00 PPG average. Neither Koivu or Kovalev would have any reason to whine because they can't mesure up.

Forget about the size and all. When you can get a game-breaker like Briere, size is irrelevant. I'd take 12 Brieres on my team if it was possible.

My only concern would be that Briere would become another Pierre Turgeon: a top-talent who perfoms in relative anonimity until he's throw in the Montreal fishbowl and can't deal with the surreal expectations, attention and pressure.

If Briere has the spine to take it on, then bring him on.

I dont think Briere got overpaid at 5M$/season. He averaged 1.21 PPG average in the regular season. On a full season that gives about 100 pts. Only 7 players got 100 pts last season. Koivu and Kovalev weren't even on pace for 82 pts. They're paid 3.2 and 4.5.

That is exactly right, he is a bonifide superstar, and to even to compare Riberio to him is a travesty. Riberio is a borderline 2nd line centre, Briere is an all-star. Ribs will maybe net 20 goals this year while Briere has the potential to net 50.

I find it funny that noone has mentioned throwing Samsonov into a package for him. I would sure be willing to send him and his 2+million contract and Riberio for Briere.

When a player like this comes around you jump on it.......if it can be done financially.

On the flip side of this I'm sure that Buffalo are looking for prospects and high draft picks as well as a centre that can step in and play now, so whether or not BG is interested is not really the question, it's more what does he have to give up to get him? MOst likely too much.

It would be interesting to see who Montreal would have to trade for him, but I wouldn't. Injuries are a concern to me and he looks a little small against some of the redwood trees Montreal has to play.

If Montreal had some bigger wingers, then yes I would think about it. No question about his talent as he is a fabulous player.

I don't see this happening at all. Montreal is the last place Buffalo will send him (well, other then Toronto maybe), they'll take less value in return for the priviledge of sending him out West.

But that said, my guess would be that the Sabres hold onto Briere and shuffle other pieces instead. I'd like to see what our current team can do anyway, these rumors of any and every available player ending up in Montreal are getting tiresome.

It would be interesting to see who Montreal would have to trade for him, but I wouldn't. Injuries are a concern to me and he looks a little small against some of the redwood trees Montreal has to play.

Then if Briere's size and fragility is a concern, the same thing applies to Koivu. He's just as small and fragile, but without Briere's offensive production.

Adding Samsanov to that deal would be a horrendous move on Gainey's part - it would not exactly be good protocol to sign a free agent and then trade him before the season even starts....

If the Habs are already having trouble signing free agents, then imagine what that kind of a move would do?

I'd say it might be reasonable to think that some potential free agents would have to think twice if that happened.

Adding Samsanov to that deal would be a horrendous move on Gainey's part - it would not exactly be good protocol to sign a free agent and then trade him before the season even starts....

only the islanders could do that

That is exactly right, he is a bonifide superstar

Briere had a great 48 game stretch last year, but I still have some trouble conferring "superstar" status on a guy who's only broken the 30-goal plateau once and has never exceeded 65 points in a season. For his career, he's actually only a 0.7 ppg player, which is better than Ribs (0.55) but worse than Koivu (0.81). Let him get in a couple of full seasons at the level at which he played during last year's half-season, and then start calling him a superstar.

Briere is no superstar. He's had one year of over 1.00 ppg, and while he may continue this in the new NHL, there's no way he should ever have been awarded 5 mil. The only way he ends up a habs is if Buffalo walks away from the decision, making him an UFA. Gainey won't trade for him, or for Gomez, because he can't afford these guys. Paying either one of those 2 outside of the 3.5 to 4 million range is overspending, in my opinion.

Edited by hankhab

at what time exactly does 48 hrs end? negotiation process for Gainey .... time is counting now that he's in command for another 4 years.... will he risk the bank and make a deal with Buffalo?

cons... : salary, health, size factor + "another second line centre?", Not a two way palyer

Pros... : Quebecois ( no matter what else people think the Habs know that the MTL crowd likes their "gars" in the Bleu Blanc Rouge...) another Top 2 centre that can pass like Koivu so we can put Koivu back between Kovy and Samsonov.

Edited by CoRvInA

Gman!

Please. don't read one line from my post and use it out of context from my entire post to insult me!

I really don't appreciate it! Try to post your opinions and arguments, minus any personal insults! However, if you choose to head down that path I am happy to follow.

"You must have been a Leaf fan before being a Habs fan." - Gman (Today, 09:26 PM)

I guess it may take one to know one eh?

Your point however, on his stats is true. Briere does have better NHL stats than Ribs!

My, comment about them being equal is based on their ages, wages compared to their contribution to the team, development, junior records, injuries, skill levels and chemistry to the team and their lines. And the risk taken by the team.

And for the record!

Yes I admit, the leafs are my second best team from the bottom of my list of favorite teams! Its a long list!

Chips!

Your point was never taken out of context. You compared Ribeiro's and Briere's age, wages compared to their contribution to the team, development, junior records, injuries, skill levels and chemistry to the team and their lines. You concluded that these two were somewhat equal!?! I said I disagreed with that conclusion and I still do.

In your first post you wrote that Briere is tougher on the puck, Ribeiro is more likely to get injured, Briere puts up more points. All points I agree with (except for the fact that Briere plays with more intensity, and so he is probably more likely to get injured as his past has shown), but you concluded that the two are almost equal because Ribeiro had a slightly better Junior, is two years younger and makes less money. You also ignored the fact that Ribeiro is not liked by most of his teammates, fought Koivu in practice, and the fact that Briere is the captain of his team.

Besides that;

- Their junior stats are irrelevant.

- Comparing their age would be fine if you truly think that Ribeiro has displayed any potential for improvement. Remember that this past season he played on a line with at least one pure goal scorer and still had a worse season than the previous. Oh yes, and this is the new NHL, an NHL that favours the skilled guys.

- When comparing salaries, you have to acknowledge that Briere was outstanding before he was injured. He put up 58 points in 48 games! Ribeiro had 51 in 79. Briere has the potential and past record to support at least a 90 point season. He would be a #1 centre, not a #2.

Mike Ribeiro is slow, lacks heart and intensity, has a weak shot, and dsiplays no leadership potential. Are these attributes you would characterize Briere as having or the opposite?

Gman good arguments,

Well put and very good points; specially with regards to leadership qualities. I completely agree that Ribs has not shown any leadership potential. And yes the potential of Briere being a #1 center is also a plus; Furthermore, Ribs actions with the team are highly suspect, refering to the now famous fight.

But at the moment do we need a number #1 center or #2 center; Can we afford to an expensive #1, playing the role of #2; when we have a capable(not perfect) #2 in Ribs who could turn things around ( I pray he does ).

I must say that you have given me a few things to think about and I'm now more convinced that Briere could certainly help us, but as I said before I'm not sure if the costs would equal the gains.

If it does happen I hope we don't end up giving up good prospects and taking on cash!

But if we want big returns, I guess we need to make big changes.

Ryder will be a productive player in the NHL long after Briere is gone due to injuries and attitude problems.

what attitude problems ?? please explain

I'm not in the sabres locker room but if there a guy that don't look like having an attitude is briere..I agree with the injury situation.

if he wants to be a succesful NHLer for a long period of time, Ryder needs to bring another dimension to his game..he's a great sniper but that's all

You guys are high...................

No matter what anybody says on this topic...........If there is the smallest chance Briere cancome to the habs and Ryder is in the mix.......FOR SURE...... Why is there even a debate.....apples and oranges.........guy lafleur and rick vaive..........come on guys..........Make it happen and we will be bringing fire wagon hockey back to montreal.............

I hope it goes down.............put souray and PEREZ in the mix too..........we don't have room for all the prospects we have and PEREZ can go....he's to sensitive anyway....

IMO 5 mil. is a lot more then BG is willing to put on any 'missing piece of the puzzle'.

let's give this proper thought:

Souray may be leaving, yet no D was signed from ALL the UFA's

if memory serves me right, Shanny signed for less then 5 BIG SMAKERS why would he sign for less then what the CH would be offering, what jagr???

we gotz Kovalev!!!!

As far as some of the other big name signing f*** them,

most of them wouldn't have fit in what the Habs are trying to build.

with the exeption what's his name, but that don't matter cuz he went to some other sh** a** team

seen people??

BG is too smart for that dumb a** s**t the rangers and booings do.

Thank what ever God you pray too that he is doing all this work for us.

IN BOB WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then if Briere's size and fragility is a concern, the same thing applies to Koivu. He's just as small and fragile, but without Briere's offensive production.

Yup, that is why we do not need two players of the same stature playing centre.

Koivu is tough as nails though and plays larger than his size. Sometimes it scares me to see him go into the corners against the giants.

Gainey in The Gazette:

"I don't see making any more moves," Gainey said. "We have 23 players under contract."

Having the intention to acquire Brière but then stating the above on record would seem like unnecessary shiftiness.

You guys are high...................

No matter what anybody says on this topic...........If there is the smallest chance Briere cancome to the habs and Ryder is in the mix.......FOR SURE...... Why is there even a debate.....apples and oranges.........guy lafleur and rick vaive..........come on guys..........Make it happen and we will be bringing fire wagon hockey back to montreal.............

I hope it goes down.............put souray and PEREZ in the mix too..........we don't have room for all the prospects we have and PEREZ can go....he's to sensitive anyway....

You........... make so............. much............................................... sense.................... if only.................. I could........................................................................................ read everything.....................................

Just kidding you......................... about the making sense part. :P

Briere wouldnt be a savior. Just a good upgrade on the centers we already have. If Saku can't bounce back from his lackluster last season and if Ribs dont breakout, the Habs will have a problem at center. They can't move Saku because of his no-trade clause, and can't get much in return of Ribs.