Habs To Retire 2 Numbers In 2006-2007

MAK

rumoured to be Ken Dryden's and Serge Savard's

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/212792.html

I wished they would've think about Bouchard but I agree with these choices.

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/212793.html

Legends, well deserving. Who comes in 2008? Robinson and Bouchard?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Dryden & Savard makes sense.

Robinson makes sense for 2008. Not sure if Gainey has any input but he definitley deserves to have his number retired. He was one of the greatest players of his generation....just ask the Russians. I'm sure if it were up to him, he wouldn't allow it, but he does deserve it.

rumoured to be Ken Dryden's and Serge Savard's

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/212792.html

I wished they would've think about Bouchard but I agree with these choices.

tsn.ca says that it will be Savard & Dryden

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177310&hubname=

Looks like Dryden's going to the rafters and to the Liberal leadership... hmmmmmmmmmmm... is he going to 'save' Canada from those nasty Conservatives too? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

2008 will be Robinson and ROY!!

Are we going to go through this again?

Pat Roy should have his number retired.....in 20 years or so when he needs help on the ice.

That is that no more to say.

This is Montreal, we don't need to retire numbers when guys are still old enough to make a come back because we have a history. Let Colorado retire his number because they have no history. We can wait. I know alot of you are young, but if Drydan and Savard waited 20 years why can't the flake do the same. By the way, that would be Serge, not Denis Savard, just to clarify for the kids out there. I know most of you didn't see these guys play hockey as you are too young, too bad, we had a real team back then. Drydan won more cups than Roy and in my eyes is way more deserving. Roy is the greatest goalie in Avalance history, let his number hang there, they need one, or did they retire Bourque's too? Dumb asses.

I could give you a list of better goalies too wear the CH.

He does deserve it, not until all players who deserve their numbers retired from the 60's and 70's are respected though.

Are we going to go through this again?

Pat Roy should have his number retired.....in 20 years or so when he needs help on the ice.

That is that no more to say.

This is Montreal, we don't need to retire numbers when guys are still old enough to make a come back because we have a history. Let Colorado retire his number because they have no history. We can wait. I know alot of you are young, but if Drydan and Savard waited 20 years why can't the flake do the same. By the way, that would be Serge, not Denis Savard, just to clarify for the kids out there. I know most of you didn't see these guys play hockey as you are too young, too bad, we had a real team back then. Drydan won more cups than Roy and in my eyes is way more deserving. Roy is the greatest goalie in Avalance history, let his number hang there, they need one, or did they retire Bourque's too? Dumb asses.

I could give you a list of better goalies too wear the CH.

He does deserve it, not until all players who deserve their numbers retired from the 60's and 70's are respected though.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. Roy will have his number retired, but not in the forseeable future, but I do think some consideration should be made for Robinson this year, as well as Gainey, even though you can't argue with Savard and Dryden either.

If you really think about it, if we went by whose numbers should be retired we wouldn't have too many numbers left to choose from for our current players.

In 397 matches in the NHL, all with the Canadiens, Ken Dryden had a

258-57-74 record and a goals against average of 2.24. He tied more

games than he lost! Crazy!

keep in mind he had 4 (4!!) hall of fame defencemen in front of him for a lot of those wins. not saying he doesnt deserve it (he does), but that 70s team was sick.

Sure, Roy should have his number retired LAST in the list of great Habs. Agreed.

And after last year's retirees, then Dryden, Savard, Robinson...who else is there? If we agree that he's deserving, why wait until he's old and toothless? (Or dead...) 15 years is enough time to determine that he was a truly great Canadien.

There's also a special factor at play here: Roy left Montreal under very unpleasant and sudden circumstances. He and Montreal (fans and organization) have never really had the chance to perform those rituals that should accrue to truly great contributors. Retiring his number in 2008 would be a cathartic experience for all concerned. I think it'd be great, a great moment. And maybe also put a decisive psychological nail in the coffin of those years of mediocrity that followed Roy's departure: closing the book on the era of darkness. I say, do it! :king:

keep in mind he had 4 (4!!) hall of fame defencemen in front of him for a lot of those wins. not saying he doesnt deserve it (he does), but that 70s team was sick.

And Dryden only played, what, 9 seasons? He was good, but I'm not really sure he was relatively better than guys like Durnan, Hainsworth, Worsley and such.Certainly not better than Plante and Roy.

I dont know. I just think there's lot of other players who deserved it as much or more than him. Lapointe, Lemaire, Gainey, Robinson, Moore, Butch Bouchard, etc.

Savard and Dryden this year, Robinson and Gainey in 2008, and Roy in 2009. I agree with what some of you say in terms of having Roy wait a bit, but it seems the Habs organization wants these numbers retired before the centennial in 2009. There were many great players in the Habs history that would undoubtedly have their numbers retired if they had played for any other team than the Habs, but I think that after the above mentionned numbers are retired, that will be it for a while.

Soon there will be no numbers left to play with.

Price wearing 106.

I guess that is one of the drawbacks of playing with the most storied team ever.

Its not our fault we are so damn good that we have too many retired jerseys. If we have to start using 3 digit numbers Im sure its becaus of our SUPERB franchise's success during the years.

Yea not happening this night as for what happend in Downtown mtl today if people dont know.

There was a shooting at Dawson College downtown 20 Kids injured 1 died. (some moron in a black cape comes and randomly shoots 20 kids.)

what is the world coming to these days...

Yes Dryden played behind an awesome defence and a powerhouse forward unit over the course of those years - no one can deny that fact......

However:

A/ he did singlehandedly help the Habs win a surprize/upset Cup in his rookie season - he was spectacular against a powerful Bruins roster who were expected to win easily

B/ he had a unique circumstance in which he had to perform - i.e. large stretches of time when the Habs dominated play allowing few scoring chances which meant that Dryden had to go from cold to hot in a flash with little margin for error. For good goalies that is an especially tough way to perform and Dryden was probably one of the best at that role.

C/ he was a big part of the 72 Team Canada victory and he showed his talents against a powerful Soviet team

D/ 6 Stanley Cups, Conn Smythe Trophy winner in 1971, Calder Trophy winner in 1972, a 5 time Vezina Trophy winner who was named 5 times to the First All Star Team and once to the Second All Star Team, Dryden had a life time average of 2.40 goals against over the 7 seasons he played and he had 46 shutouts during his short but spectacular career.

So for those who may wonder - if you actually were old enough to see the 70's dynasty then you'd agree with this decision wholeheartedly.

Sorry, but Roy needs to wait the respected amount of time that the other habs's greats have in the past.....

This is a class and a rich tradition filled organization that always does things the right way in the end.

Why change that now, just because a younger generation wants a hero of their era 'deified' before his time is due?

• 2 weeks later...

Just was thinking again about numbers that should be honored in Montreal. How about 22? Shutt still holds the team record of 60 goals as a LW, 424 goals 817 pnts in 930 games, all as a habs. 5 cups 50 playoff goals. I know that we could retire a ton from that era, but 22 deserves it also ahead of 33.

Just was thinking again about numbers that should be honored in Montreal. How about 22? Shutt still holds the team record of 60 goals as a LW, 424 goals 817 pnts in 930 games, all as a habs. 5 cups 50 playoff goals. I know that we could retire a ton from that era, but 22 deserves it also ahead of 33.

HABSolutely. shutt deserves to see his number retired.