Who Will Be The New Habs Whipping Boy?

Bacchus

I think we're forgetting the obvious here, the goat in Montreal is always a French Canadian. So with that said I think Lats could have problems this year, because they seem to be rushing him along.

As for who I think SHOULD be the whipping boy, Bonk, if for nothing else besides his salary, but if we Huet doesn't shine he will begin to take a lot of heat as well.

Good point and one that did cross my mind. We all love Latendresse and don't even want to think of him as "next in Line". But, if things change it wouldn't surprise me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between Whipping Boy and disagreeing with a players play on the ice. Not everything someone may point out should be spun into a whipping boy comment. If a player is weak and does not perform then yes it should be pointed out.

Booing players on your team at a game is really low class. Montreal seems to be like this for some reason and I cannot understand why. If I am lucky to get to a Habs game then it is Cheer Cheer Cheer for every habs.

There is no one on the Habs that I can see fits the mold of being booed this year. Then again that is just an opinion by me....

Well I would hope there is no whipping buy but we all know this is not possible. It may be Lats but I sure as hell will be angry if it is he is 19 he better be given a lot of slack by the media and fans.

I feel that Huet is the most likley cannidate!

I think we're forgetting the obvious here, the goat in Montreal is always a French Canadian. So with that said I think Lats could have problems this year, because they seem to be rushing him along.

As for who I think SHOULD be the whipping boy, Bonk, if for nothing else besides his salary, but if we Huet doesn't shine he will begin to take a lot of heat as well.

Its always a french canadian because playing in Montreal for a Quebecios is the biggest pressure cooker on the planet. The media hounds you, expects you to be the golden boy of Quebec. This phenomenon is only prevelant in Quebec from what I've seen. If I was a baseball player and I played for the Cardinals for example I'd feel pressure but most likely that pressure would be made up by myself. From my year of following the habs the french media likes to be a little nationalistic about french players on the canadiens. Its not like you're playing for the Canadiens, its you're playing for Quebec, make her proud, sort of thing. Anyway thats how I see it.

Its always a french canadian because playing in Montreal for a Quebecios is the biggest pressure cooker on the planet. The media hounds you, expects you to be the golden boy of Quebec. This phenomenon is only prevelant in Quebec from what I've seen. If I was a baseball player and I played for the Cardinals for example I'd feel pressure but most likely that pressure would be made up by myself. From my year of following the habs the french media likes to be a little nationalistic about french players on the canadiens. Its not like you're playing for the Canadiens, its you're playing for Quebec, make her proud, sort of thing. Anyway thats how I see it.

It happens in Toronto at a tremendous pace as well. Remeber Larry Murphy? Won cup with Mario, went to Leafs, Fans Booed him, went to Detroit won two cups. This guy was a tremendous offensively gifted player but the media and fans cut him up. It happens every year and now it is the big russians turn in T-Dot. Toronto is so bad that even Gretzky REFUSED to play here by signing contracts elsewhere. Ranger fans will remeber when he retired that Ranger Management said they would allow him to come back as a Leaf and he said no thanks.

Montreal is bad for this but other cities can be very mean.

There are two kinds of goats..

Guys who underperform and take some scorn (Bonk, Zeddy, etc).

Guys who seem to draw bizarre levels of personal venom (Theo, Dags, Ribs).

Personally, I hope this site can avoid the second type from now on and just focus on the play on the ice. :)

I predict Huet will be a goat if he doesn't play well (he is on a pretty high pedestal right now).

There are two kinds of goats..

Guys who underperform and take some scorn (Bonk, Zeddy, etc).

Guys who seem to draw bizarre levels of personal venom (Theo, Dags, Ribs).

Personally, I hope this site can avoid the second type from now on and just focus on the play on the ice. :)

I predict Huet will be a goat if he doesn't play well (he is on a pretty high pedestal right now).

I have to agree with the venom directed at Theo here and Dags. Although I thought Dags was slow and out of his league with the new NHL he did put the puck in the net in shootouts. I still like Theo and he will do well in colorado as long as he does not let his personal life interfer with his game play like he did in Montreal.

Ribero just brought it on himself and I think he likes the media spotlight as it looked like all criticism deflected off of him. I like his offensive abilities, I just didn't like his defensive responsibilities as this is what hurt his play. Plus the center ice fake flop scene was a defining moment for him. :blink:

The whipping boy will be someone with a big contract that underperforms and doesn' t seem to put the effort.

Candidates along these lines: Niinimaa, Samsonov.

I'm worried about Niinimaa. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but if his career continues along the same lines as the last couple of years, his $2.5 million contract and the fact that he was traded for a french canadian, will make him this year's whipping boy.

Prove me wrong Janne. Have a great comeback year.

what? LOL! Someone please tell this story.

during the '04 playoffs against boston.

Montreal was leading. A bruin got the puck and broke for the montreal net. Suddenly, after taking a shove , Ribeiro falls to the ice and starts writhing around in the neutral zone. Just as the bruins are starting to create what seems like a good chance (i think they were over-manning the habs in the zone) the refs blow the whistle to get Ribeiro off the ice because of his apparent injury (i believe when a player suffers an injury that does not let him go on, the refs are to call a stoppage of play as soon as a member of his team touches the puck, like a delayed penalty). Ribs stays on the ground for a bit, gets up, skates to his bench looking healthy, and gives a gesture to the bruins bench. This gesture has most often been interpretted to mean "I just screwed you guys."

The first whipping boy on the MTL canadiens that I remeber was Chris Chelios. Man, this guy couldn't buy a break. Then it was Mike Keen. Martin Ruzinsky had is for a while too ... but the temperature on the whipping boy really got amped up after the Nordiques left for Colorado. After that it really became a la mode to have a whipping boy. Koivu has come close to being one, but he manages to avoid it through grace and maturity. Aside from never having learnt french their isn't much you can fault with this guy.

The problem with french quebecker players is that they media simulates manic depression in them. They make them feel super high, and then they come out and hit them with the lows. Especially, as I stated earlier, since the Nordiques left. And I am sure that most of the guys on that team were only to happy to leave town.

If montreal has a soft season, Huet will be the whipping boy

Or Samsonov Because he has never scored more then 29 goals in a season and montreal is expecting a super powerfoward

IMO

Whipping boy? We won't need one!! We will be in 1st place in the east at Christmas and the league will be in shock. Higgins makes 1st all star, leading league in points. Latendresse battles for Calder. Huet has Vezina season. Pleks 2nd line counts for 100 goals. 4th line contributes about a goal a night. Defensive corp and checking line are all positive in the +/- column.

Otherwise, whoever doesn't fit into the above, or Gainey/Guy if 2 or more of the above aren't right.

I know!

Patrick Traverse!

ummm... sorry but he wont even be with the big team :P he'll head to hamilton hahaha~ so it doesn't count!!

hey~~~ no one mentionned SUPER SHELDON??????? :blink::blink::blink: hahaha

OK... i know who!! next whipping boy : YOUPPI! ;)

Edited by bebehabs

I would venture a guess and say Michael Ryder. This guy does nothing but score goals and all you ever hear is how he should be traded, or his defense isn't very good, or he's not physical enough. He's been the most consistent threat offensively for Montreal for 2 seasons andhe gets treated like shit.

Heaven help him if he doesn't score 30 goals this year.