Latendresse To Win Calder?

C-Love

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong of course but I expect Latendresse to become one of our top lines guy in a few years from now. I dont see any of our top wingers being subjected in this up-coming season to have problems in meeting our expectations of them,....and if anything....I feel the contrary is most likely to happens.

That said, Lats will be playing on the depth lines troughout the season,....he was on the fourth line with Begin and Murray against Ottawa and that is where I would expect him to start the season with the CH.

The likelyhood that he might eventually be moved up a line on the third where Perezhogin should be starting the season....is possible, but this accessibility will be dependant on their respective on-ice

performances.....which for both remain to be seen.

Can our top lines deliver us an effective PP on a constant basis ? I think they will,....so pertaining to PP time

I dont see Latendresse playing an important role this season......but I see him getting occasional PP time.

Latendresse is a great addition to our club this year, a great complement to a good looking team and I believe

him to be a shure thing in the futur.......but I would never think of himself as a possible Calder candidate.

Latendresse could turn som heads this season.

He is the only real physical forward on this team and has scoring touch which could take him to a top line position as the Habs as the smallest first line center in the NHL.

He's also a fan and media favourite and with the right start he could be riding the wave and if mature enough to try harder when things don't go his way he has the chane of winning the Calder.

But Malkin is the player to beat to the trophy and he's in a class of his own. I would go so far and say that Malkin is one of the top 20 players in the world.

Other notables is Wojtek Wolski of the Avs and Dustin Penner in Anaheim.

I would also like to mention Johnny Oduya in New Jersey. Oduya and Henrik Zetterberg is the only Swedish players that played with the national team Tre Kronor before they had played a single game in the Elitserien.

Oduya can play it all. Brute, defense and offense. Has grown the last years and Devils may have found a new Rafalski.

Stall link

i think Stall has better chance then Latendresse

I forgot all about stall, i havent really seen him play yet though

Edited by Shu

Latendresse isn't even a 2nd liner.

Malkin will be either a first or second liner.

Unless Latendresse channels somebody then I don't think he'll be in the running for the Calder.

ryder started his rookie season as a 4th liner and was the calder runner up (should have won).

ryder started his rookie season as a 4th liner and was the calder runner up (should have won).

No way. Raycroft totally deserved it. Raycrap's numbers were good enough for him to be mentioned in Vezina circles. Possible Vezina candidate > 63 points.

In my pool he didn't go. It was just too risky. 21 players in this pool. It's in person. 11 selections. 231 selected. No one took him and there are were many habs fans

I have a good feeling that all 21 (myself included) are going to rue the decision. The beauty of this is that "I have a feeling". It's not using hockey intellect so much. I can feel it in my gut. Let's hope I'm right. :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

No way. Raycroft totally deserved it. Raycrap's numbers were good enough for him to be mentioned in Vezina circles. Possible Vezina candidate > 63 points.

i kinda hate myself for making this argument but:

i think that season they should have rewarded offense over defense.

also ryder's overcoming adversity story would have moved me.

Don't forget about Anze Kopitar and O'Sullivan in LA :) ... Kopitar has been really good in the pre-season and he looked like the best player on the ice besides Selanne in the game I went to last monday :D

Does anyone know where I can see QMJHL stats for scoring leaders etc? I know Latendresse scored something like 43 goals, but I'm wondering just how impressive that is for his league?

usually that's not impressive... but Lats did it in 51 games... IMO, that's impressive.

comparable studs

name games goals assists points

Radulov : 62 61 91 152

Espo : 57 39 59 98

Brassard : 58 44 72 116

Latendresse : 51 43 40 83

Does anyone know where I can see QMJHL stats for scoring leaders etc? I know Latendresse scored something like 43 goals, but I'm wondering just how impressive that is for his league?

HOCKEY DATABASE Guillaume Latendresse

Try this too: http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/

I can't seem to launch the Q website. It might be down.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Don't forget about Anze Kopitar and O'Sullivan in LA :) ... Kopitar has been really good in the pre-season and he looked like the best player on the ice besides Selanne in the game I went too last monday :D

Hopefully Lats can pull it off and take it ... that would be a good sign for the Habs playoff hopes. :king:

oops .. sorry for the double post :rolleyes:

Edited by CaliHabsFan

what if ALL those malkin - brulé - wolski and other (EXCEPT Tenderness) going to get injured? :P

Then Latendresse will win the calder!!! :P

naaah~ i dunt care who is going to win coz i will only support Latendresse haha

except last year, i was supporting ovechkin all da way coz i dunt like crosby and thanx god... ovechkin won!!

Note : I'M STILL MAD ABOUT RAYCROFT STEALING THE CALDER FROM RYDER!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I doubt Latendresse will even be mentioned in the top ten at the end of the year. I think his skating deficencies will have him in the pressbox by Christmas.

If Malkin stays healthy, there is no reason he can't run away with it. With Sidney Crosby attracting most of the oppositions better checkers, Malkin will have a little more room out on the ice. But he'll have to get healthy and stay healthy after that. If he can't its wide open.

Wolski ( who Montreal should have drafter over Chipchura), Brule, Kessel....could be any of them

Gui doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of putting up the necessary scoring stats, with him not being on one of the top 2 lines. Calder, shmalder. I'll be happy to see him progress slowly and steady, rather than risk him having the weight of the world thrown on his shoulders too early and having the pressure ruin him.

I doubt it. He's playing on the 4th line while competing against guys like Malkin, Brule, Penner, Wolski, Radulov and Jiri Hudler.

Under the right circumstances he could definitely be a nominee though.

He won't win the Calder! Who is he going to overtake on the top two lines? Take your pick: Kovalev, Samsonov, Higgins, Ryder. The only chance he has is if one of those guys isn't putting the effort in and he might get a game or two here and there. But it won't be for longer than that. Only chance: injury. Even then, he isn't guaranteed the spot.

That said, Lats will be playing on the depth lines troughout the season,....he was on the fourth line with Begin and Murray against Ottawa and that is where I would expect him to start the season with the CH.

The likelyhood that he might eventually be moved up a line on the third where Perezhogin should be starting the season....is possible, but this accessibility will be dependant on their respective on-ice

performances.....which for both remain to be seen.

Can our top lines deliver us an effective PP on a constant basis ? I think they will,....so pertaining to PP time

I dont see Latendresse playing an important role this season......but I see him getting occasional PP time.

Latendresse is a great addition to our club this year, a great complement to a good looking team and I believe

him to be a shure thing in the futur.......but I would never think of himself as a possible Calder candidate.

Ryder started his rookie campaign on the 4th line as well. You just never know how the kid will perform, I also believe he will get extensive time on the 2nd PP unit, maybe not to start the year, but CArbo will be looking to give him that experience, and with the way our PP will most likely be again this season I don't think it will be that big of a chance.

I agree that an arguement could have been made for him winning as well. Ryder helped eliminate Raycroft from the Playoffs that year, which seems to count for something by times in the NHL. If Montreal would have won the cup that year I bet Ryder would have won the Calder, I know that it is not supposed to matter but I know it plays into voters heads.

I doubt Latendresse will even be mentioned in the top ten at the end of the year. I think his skating deficencies will have him in the pressbox by Christmas.

If Malkin stays healthy, there is no reason he can't run away with it. With Sidney Crosby attracting most of the oppositions better checkers, Malkin will have a little more room out on the ice. But he'll have to get healthy and stay healthy after that. If he can't its wide open.

Wolski ( who Montreal should have drafter over Chipchura), Brule, Kessel....could be any of them

Wolski is yet another volatile winger... did he make team canada jr?? cause Chip was their captain ;)

wolski vs chip

is the 1970s comparison of drafting Bob Gainey over ... who? Rejean houle? :P

I agree that an arguement could have been made for him winning as well. Ryder helped eliminate Raycroft from the Playoffs that year, which seems to count for something by times in the NHL. If Montreal would have won the cup that year I bet Ryder would have won the Calder, I know that it is not supposed to matter but I know it plays into voters heads.

to my understanding, calder voting is done after the end of regular season, before the playoffs.

I figure:

Probable winner: Malkin - even if he misses 20 games...

Sleeper Pick: Tony Salmelainen - When Ruutu does his best Eric Staal impression, plays with his former junior line-mate who also happened to be the finnish league MVP last year and had over a point per game in a tough Finnish SM liiga.

Wolski is yet another volatile winger... did he make team canada jr?? cause Chip was their captain ;)

wolski vs chip

is the 1970s comparison of drafting Bob Gainey over ... who? Rejean houle? :P

Yeah, I would have to disagree with you there kaos. Chipchura's the kind of gritty hard working player with skill who the Habs have needed for a long time - either him or Higgins will eventually be the team captain.

It's true without a doubt that the Canadiens haven't had any truly freakishly gifted offensive prospects develop just yet either - but there's Perezhogin and Kostityn in the pipeline anyhow, so Wolski would have just been another one to add to the list.

I honestly can say that the Habs are being developed into a very very good franchise. Gainey's moves seem erratic on occasion, but they usually follow some kind of a plan. If there are players he dislikes, they're hitting the road one way or another. And in some cases it was ill advised, see Beauchemin or Hainsey, but for the most part he seems to consider every possibility before making a move. That's why some people think he shies away from the big moves, when he actually has made some of the biggest trades in recent Canadiens history.

He won't win the Calder! Who is he going to overtake on the top two lines? Take your pick: Kovalev, Samsonov, Higgins, Ryder. The only chance he has is if one of those guys isn't putting the effort in and he might get a game or two here and there. But it won't be for longer than that. Only chance: injury. Even then, he isn't guaranteed the spot.

I guess the same thing could have been said about Michael Ryder a coupple of seasons ago.

I would love to see Latendresse on a line with Ryder and Koivu. But that would demote Higgins to the second line. And remember that Higgins is a center and should work well with Samsonov and Kovalev.

Plekanec is still a great player but I wonder if he wouldn't do better on a third line with Mike Johnson.

So... Don't rule out the possibillity of Latendresse getting time on the top line, nor winning the calder. But Malkin is the favourtite and one of the most skilled hockey players on the planet.