Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

I'd have to say it would be interesting if the Habs organization hired a photographer to follow around all the members of the Montreal media. Taking shots of them while they're washing their car, getting their groceries, out on a picnic with their family etc. Only then might they understand how intrusive they are and perhaps, just perhaps, give them an indication of why certain players wouldn't want to come here.

As if the Habs players we constantly followed around by hordes of papparazis... Come on!

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is everyone smoking?

Hammer! is a first round draft pick! 1st overrall! Granted he is not stud he once was, but since 2000 he has put up a plus rating every season and is a solid 35+ point man. He's big at 210, 6'2"; what a pickup! I had no idea he was available, let alone willing to come to Montreal! Given our approximate tax rate he will end up seeing only half of that per year salary. He would have been able to bank way more if he decided to go south.

I'm happy as a kid in a candy store... this is the kind of signing that Gainey can take to Koviu and say; "I"m trying to build you a winning team to compliment..."

GO HABS GO!

Na na na na

Na na na na

Hey hey hey.. Hammer TIME!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

Stop bitching for f***'s sake. We all agreed we needed a good D who could take care of his own end and support the offense. Hamrlik fits the bill. But what's that now? Ooooh, he costs too much. Whaaaa, whaaaa...

I would say that some (not all) of the complaining stems from the fact that it was originally reported as a 3M/yr deal, which most people were proclaiming a steal (which I'd agree with). 5.5M puts the salary more in line with what should probably be expected. Had it initially been reported correctly, there MAY not have been the backlash that has come.

All I know is that I'm happy right now with a top three of Komisarek, Markov, and Hamrlik. I'd be thrilled if Gainey were able to obtain another D to shore up the top 4.

What is everyone smoking?

Wow were you ever on to something!

Im pretty happy getting Smolinski, we didnt quite get that star C this summer but he definitely gives us some good depth. 2 million is nice, Good job Gainey.

Welcome Hammer !!

People in Calgary loved him but now they only want some red necks so he didn't fit there.

Now we got a solid top two pairing on the left side. I don't care about the money and i only care about the

results. Does it makes us a better team ?? Yes, when you will see Hammer crush Laffs Blake you will see

where the money was invested right.

He wants to play here so welcome aboard.

Im warming up the idea of getting Yashin. Its a risk, but if its a 3-4 million dollar contract with incentives it could be worth it.

If he wants to play in Montreal as he claims, then he might be motivated enough to make it productive.

I dont know how much we have left to spend though...

That means chips is not making the team I guess.

The same thought went through my mind when I saw the smol post. At that price I don't mind the signing. Chips will need another half year at least before he is ready... But next season he will need a NHL spot.

GO HABS GO!

It's not? Well shit I have to put my pants back on then. So much for buying some Habs bottomless chaps. It even took me forever to find a retailer who made them.

What does it matter? The cap hit is the same all four years of the contract...

I already told you - it makes him easier to buy out.

The Hamrlik deal is no longer a steal - we had to pay the market rate after all. But he is a good replacement for Souray and Smolinski is a nice stopgap until Chipchura can make the team. The good news is that we still have capspace to spend on another Smolinski type but I think Gainey's done with UFA.

It's not? Well shit I have to put my pants back on then. So much for buying some Habs bottomless chaps. It even took me forever to find a retailer who made them.

you don't need to, PM me later we'll hook up :lol:

sorry tony, they only make to chaps in leafs colors !!!

not a bad move form gainey. smolinski will be this year mike johnson. he's a right handed centerman.

as for chipchura, he still can be brought as our 13th foward or our 1st call up like lapierre last year.

Shelly's days are numbered... I'm pumped about landing the Hammer!

GO HABS GO!

p.s. too bad we can't get our "STUD's" to breed.

GO HABS GO!