Offseason changes Required

hab29RETIRED

I guess every team's fanbase has a complaint that won't go away. We're too small the Flyer's don't have a goalie or a mobile defense, and the Bruins can't fix the power play. The changes I want to see aren't drastic. I want a top six player with serious size like Clowe, a draft with a few wingers 6'2 plus, and an enforcer signed to a cheap deal. Except for signing Clowe, none of this should be too difficult.

I would point out that at somepoint in the season pretty much everyone on the roster was the target for somebodies wrath. I wouldn't worry too much, if your particular player isn't getting too much love. Secondly,if there is somebody out there that isn't pulling the sled, other Gm's will have likely noticed, before you, making them improbable to move.

There's something the Internet misses 99 per cent of the time.

Guy LaFleur was a long haired shrimp from the Q, just sayin.... and how tall are you to call 5 11 a shrimp? I stand 6' and am taller than most Canadian men. Oh and to repeat, we are the same size Chicago and they seem to be a playoff team so far...

Guy Lafleur is a different story. However I would contend that his son's behavior is in some way connected to his allergy to the barber's chair. If we want flash and long hair we could trade our 34th pick for Peter Mueller.

I guess every team's fanbase has a complaint that won't go away. We're too small the Flyer's don't have a goalie or a mobile defense, and the Bruins can't fix the power play. The changes I want to see aren't drastic. I want a top six player with serious size like Clowe, a draft with a few wingers 6'2 plus, and an enforcer signed to a cheap deal. Except for signing Clowe, none of this should be too difficult.

I don't believe one second that Clowe is a top 6 forward without Joe Thornton.

just so you know Guy was barely 6 feet and 185 about exactly the same as Gretzky.

Nobody's talking about generational talents. My concern is this franchise's affinity for small mediocre players going all the way back to Oleg Petrov and continuing to this day with DD.

I think Desharnais will be hard to move for any decent return. Not many will be willing to take on a 3.5 million dollar cap hit for a small one dimensional player who just had a bad season. Is it worth moving him now or better to wait? I mean his value probably won't get worse than what it is now.

Better to wait.

Hope he comes out flying and play him tons of PP time next October.

He's a transitional C until Galy is ready to play big minutes at that position. Then he will either shift to wing or become redundant.

That's the hope.

Didn't Therrien only try DD away from Patches like twice all year? And has anyone ever tried DD to the wing? It just seems like wishful thinking to me. DD will probably keep getting chances to play on a top six line until Bergevin trades him or yells at Therrien.

Nobody's talking about generational talents. My concern is this franchise's affinity for small mediocre players going all the way back to Oleg Petrov and continuing to this day with DD.

I am pretty sure that when they draft or sign guys, They aren't specifically looking for "small mediocre players" . They are getting the best talent available at the time in their opinion. Saku koivu small? mediocre, I don't think so. :habslogo:

This question is probably a no-brainer, but we can't buy someone out of their contract with the new policy and then re-sign them to a less expensive one right?

nope but if you read Spector he has a great article on circumventing the buyout clause. http://spectorshockey.net/blog/first-loophole-in-the-new-nhl-cba/ :habslogo:

I don't believe one second that Clowe is a top 6 forward without Joe Thornton.

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is overpay for some mediocre guy just because he's big and occasionally fights. Clowe's a big question mark, Clarkson's 34 or something... I'm not saying either of these guys would not work out for us, but we were lucky enough to unload Cole's deal.

Clarkson is 29, not 34

As for the organization being "enamoured with small guys", do people realize that the only two players we have drafted in the first three rounds who were under 6'0 are Collberg and Kristo since Timmins has been here?

Yeah, we get a Gallagher in the 5th round, or Desharnais as an undrafted free agent.... but every team in the NHL is looking for skill and size. By the time you get to the bottom of the draft you have flawed players.... guys who have a big red flag on them, thats why they aren't 1st rounders. Some guys with size have a lack of skill, or skating, or hockey sense. Guys with those things are small. etc... etc....

The "size" thing is a hangover from the Cammalleri era, when we really were small (although I notice that we managed to get to the Semi-Finals with a team of supposedly hopelessly overmatched 'smurfs'). It's an outdated cliché and therefore an easy crutch to use when trying to diagnose what ailed us in this playoff.

Actually, one could argue that the "small/soft" label goes back much further - all the way to the 1960s. But I won't try to push that argument.

As for Clarkson, we would be clinically insane not to try to sign him. Talk about a no-brainer.

Clarkson is 29, not 34

Whoops, don't know how I got it so wrong.

While we could definitely use a guy like him, I'm not sure he'd be worth the 5m or whatever it would take to land him as a free agent. He so far has one season of 40 points under his belt with a good portion of his prime behind him. I admit to not having watched him much, but we already have Bourque as a big guy with consistency issues. Then again, I'd be happy to see him on the roster next year. Maybe Chris Stewart is another option we're looking at for right wing.

The "size" thing is a hangover from the Cammalleri era, when we really were small (although I notice that we managed to get to the Semi-Finals with a team of supposedly hopelessly overmatched 'smurfs'). It's an outdated cliché and therefore an easy crutch to use when trying to diagnose what ailed us in this playoff.

Actually, one could argue that the "small/soft" label goes back much further - all the way to the 1960s. But I won't try to push that argument.

As for Clarkson, we would be clinically insane not to try to sign him. Talk about a no-brainer.

But when the overmatched smurfs met Philly in the third round, they were killed. Speed and character get you so far, every once in a while you need to be the one smacking the other team around.

• Upvote 1

I seem to remember that when Bergevin was hired, they asked what kind of team he wanted to build, and his response was something along the lines of, a Cup-winning team can play every sort of game. That implies a speed game, a defensive chess-match, a goalie duel, and - yes - a physical contest.

His comments today about 'balance' can be taken in the same light.

I just don't think we're that far away from the desired goal. The Ottawa series saw us minus a 6'2 centre in Eller and our hardest-hitting defenceman, while guys like Patches and Prust were injured shadows of themselves; and this has left an exaggerated impression of our physical vulnerability. But that said, yes, if we can get Clarkson or Horton along with the big, physical defenceman that we absolutely require, then obviously we should pursue them.

He's a transitional C until Galy is ready to play big minutes at that position. Then he will either shift to wing or become redundant.

This means that at some point he was dundant.

He had dund?

Sorry.. I don't know why I do that...

I seem to remember that when Bergevin was hired, they asked what kind of team he wanted to build, and his response was something along the lines of, a Cup-winning team can play every sort of game. That implies a speed game, a defensive chess-match, a goalie duel, and - yes - a physical contest.

His comments today about 'balance' can be taken in the same light.

I just don't think we're that far away from the desired goal. The Ottawa series saw us minus a 6'2 centre in Eller and our hardest-hitting defenceman, while guys like Patches and Prust were injured shadows of themselves; and this has left an exaggerated impression of our physical vulnerability. But that said, yes, if we can get Clarkson or Horton along with the big, physical defenceman that we absolutely require, then obviously we should pursue them.

I tihnk you're catching the psychological effect of our inabllity to field... or perhaps ice... battlers.

Clarkson is 29, not 34

As for the organization being "enamoured with small guys", do people realize that the only two players we have drafted in the first three rounds who were under 6'0 are Collberg and Kristo since Timmins has been here?

Yeah, we get a Gallagher in the 5th round, or Desharnais as an undrafted free agent.... but every team in the NHL is looking for skill and size. By the time you get to the bottom of the draft you have flawed players.... guys who have a big red flag on them, thats why they aren't 1st rounders. Some guys with size have a lack of skill, or skating, or hockey sense. Guys with those things are small. etc... etc....

Sooo now I learn the truth! All that time I was skating around out there, I had a big red FLAG on my back! I always wondered what that weird flapping sound was... hmm..I thought it was my lower lip...you know.. when you skate really fast and the skin flattens on your face...never mind...

Bickell & Fistric. Musts. Nystrom as well, maybe, if possile, too lol

Edited by nihilz

I don't even think its size.

Its a guy willing to go to the front of the net and create havoc.

Tomas Holmstrom was only 6'0", just one inch taller than Plekanec. Thats the type of player we need... doesn't have to be huge.