Offseason changes Required

hab29RETIRED

I don't even think its size.

Its a guy willing to go to the front of the net and create havoc.

Tomas Holmstrom was only 6'0", just one inch taller than Plekanec. Thats the type of player we need... doesn't have to be huge.

That's what we need up front. On the blueline, though, we do need a bruiser. I suppose he doesn't have to be monster-sized, but he definitely has to be able to police the crease and keep opponents on their toes. This will be Job 1 in the offseason, methinks.

That's what we need up front. On the blueline, though, we do need a bruiser. I suppose he doesn't have to be monster-sized, but he definitely has to be able to police the crease and keep opponents on their toes. This will be Job 1 in the offseason, methinks.

The thing is, Tinordi can become that guy. He just has to add some muscle and gain more confidence. That's exactly what he was for London.

The thing is, Tinordi can become that guy. He just has to add some muscle and gain more confidence. That's exactly what he was for London.

I know. But we can't assume that he'll be "that guy" right away. We need a transitional player in that role...especially considering that Emelin will miss the first half of next season. I'll be very interested to see how MB cracks this nut.

I know. But we can't assume that he'll be "that guy" right away. We need a transitional player in that role...especially considering that Emelin will miss the first half of next season. I'll be very interested to see how MB cracks this nut.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does nothing. Based on his end of season comments, he doesn't seem too interested in changing the core much. Adding a top four defenceman via trade or free agency would be doing just that. Based on his comments he seems to have hope in Beaulieu moving up sooner rather than later.

About a transition player, my take on MB's comments is not willing to give up a young prospect for a temporary player. Tinordi will be that playerwho can clear the front of the net and as early as next season.

I don't even think its size.

Its a guy willing to go to the front of the net and create havoc.

Tomas Holmstrom was only 6'0", just one inch taller than Plekanec. Thats the type of player we need... doesn't have to be huge.

definitely not only about size. Imo its about complete players. Also, as Bergevin mentioned many times.. balance. Although, Im of the opinion that carrying a big man playing 8-12 mins a game is a good option to have. Especially if you have the depth where he can sit (depending on opponent) and another 'one dimensional' player can step in and be effective in thier role. Hopefully Ian Schultz gets into gear this offseason.

Size, imo is needed in the bottom pairing and bottom 6. First.. there's no use carrying an offensive Dman like Kaberle or Weber as if Dman goes down, offense is the least of your worries. See Emelin. Again, imo, Fistric is that young vet that we require on that bottom pairing. Fits the mold of what is needed on ice, and the team concept moving forward as per Bergevin. Secondly.. Habs are in dire need to fill the role of Moen. Lapierre would be a smart move. My personal move would be Bickell or Nystrom or even both if I could shed some salary.

Might I add.. Clearly Gallagher is here to stay. I'd don't forsee a sophmore slump with his effort level and fortitude, points aside, he'll be effective. Now, with him as a roster lock.. one of either DD or Gionta has to go. Quota for this stature should be limited to one spot on each of the top 2 lines. There is no other need for that dynamic and imo is a detriment to the overall effectiveness of the team's structure and balance.

Edited by nihilz

Wouldn't be surprised if he does nothing. Based on his end of season comments, he doesn't seem too interested in changing the core much. Adding a top four defenceman via trade or free agency would be doing just that. Based on his comments he seems to have hope in Beaulieu moving up sooner rather than later.

I could see him shedding salary and unloading some vets for picks. Moen, DD, Gionta and maybe even Plekanec. Never mind Weber, Diaz perhaps Kaberle and maybe even Gorges. Although, I think Plek and Gorges would be involved in players coming back, not picks.

The only way he's trading Gionta is if the season is lost. Otherwise Gionta will stay captain of the Canadiens for the remainder of his contract and Bergevin will decide what is more important, cap space and a place on the roster or having a dedicated captain the team rallies around.

Another thing to consider is there is going to be a lot of very talented/underperforming players to be bought out this season and had for very cheap. I would love to see Brad Richards in Montreal next year for 2 million. He will probably get a huge sum of money from the Rangers and could be had cheap.

I'm not sure the Rangers will buy out Richards.... not this year anyway.

The buyouts can be used either this year or in 2014. I think they give him one more season.

He was pretty good in 2011-12, and to me, you don't judge the guy too harshly on one bad year in a 48 game season.

Another thing to consider is there is going to be a lot of very talented/underperforming players to be bought out this season and had for very cheap. I would love to see Brad Richards in Montreal next year for 2 million. He will probably get a huge sum of money from the Rangers and could be had cheap.

As Commandant noted, it's probably doubtful Richards gets bought out this time, after 2013-14 is a possibility though. Also, even though he'll get a lot of money (which would be spread out over 2x the length remaining on the contract), that doesn't mean he'd come cheap. Bought out players aren't going to take less than they're worth unless they're specifically wanting to go to one team. Guys like Richards will probably go to the highest bidders and given the lack of quality on the market this year, the good players that get bought out are still going to cost a fair bit.

Clarkson scares me...5 goals, 3 assists in the final 36 games, I don't want the Habs to overpay for a guy that's managed 30 goals once, and averaged significantly less than that in every other season he's played. I'm sure he's in for a payday, I'm hopeful the Habs aren't it. I know he has other things he brings to the game, but...

Heres the big problem

Emelin hasn't had surgery yet. He won't be ready to start the season.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are good, but they won't be top 4 D to start the season, and might not even make the team at all. Plus there is a lot of defence prospects on the way.

So there is a need for a top gap defenceman, who is defensive oriented, and physical, and will come in on a short term contract.

Now looking at FAs, here is what we have. I considered Age, and Minutes played (needed to be close to 20 per game) and being a defense first guy.

Rob Scuderi, Age 34, over 21 minutes per game on the kings

Andrew Ference 34, just under 20 on the Bruins

Robyn Regher, 33, just under 20 on the Sabres/Kings

Tony Lydman, 35, 19 minutes on the Ducks

Michael Rozsival, 34, 18 minutes on the Hawks,

Now will any of those sign short term? I doubt it.

This is Bergevin's biggest problem right now... and we may need one of two things to happen.

1) A buyout of someone who we like and can sign cheap. Unlikely as what 20 minute capable D will be bought out?

2) A trade.

Clarkson scares me...5 goals, 3 assists in the final 36 games, I don't want the Habs to overpay for a guy that's managed 30 goals once, and averaged significantly less than that in every other season he's played. I'm sure he's in for a payday, I'm hopeful the Habs aren't it. I know he has other things he brings to the game, but...

I personally consider him overrated. He's a hard worker and a good character player but I don't see him having much longevity in a long term deal.

Heres the big problem

Beaulieu and Tinordi are good, but they won't be top 4 D to start the season, and might not even make the team at all. Plus there is a lot of defence prospects on the way.

So there is a need for a top gap defenceman, who is defensive oriented, and physical, and will come in on a short term contract.

Now looking at FAs, here is what we have. I considered Age, and Minutes played (needed to be close to 20 per game) and being a defense first guy.

This is Bergevin's biggest problem right now... and we may need one of two things to happen.

1) A buyout of someone who we like and can sign cheap. Unlikely as what 20 minute capable D will be bought out?

2) A trade.

Great analysis there. I've been worried about this.

Keith Ballard will be probably bought out. Would he be worth taking for a spin, maybe?

I think it would be silly to tie up money in a top name just to fill in until Emelin's return. What do we do with him once Emelin returns? Or better yet, who do we waive? That is why I won't be surprised not to see Beaulieu as the 7th. Don't want him to have to clear going down when Emelin returns. Give a lower ranked AHLer the 7th spot. Send him down when Emelin returns or if an injury occurs and we need to call up Beaulieu. Save the cap space to see what we need to add come deadline. (Not that we will add anyone then...)

Hold the course .

Gorges Subban

Markov Tinordi

Cubes Diaz

AHL

That is what I expect to see come the fall.

I think it would be silly to tie up money in a top name just to fill in until Emelin's return. What do we do with him once Emelin returns? Or better yet, who do we waive? That is why I won't be surprised not to see Beaulieu as the 7th. Don't want him to have to clear going down when Emelin returns. Give a lower ranked AHLer the 7th spot. Send him down when Emelin returns or if an injury occurs and we need to call up Beaulieu. Save the cap space to see what we need to add come deadline. (Not that we will add anyone then...)

Hold the course .

There's no waiver worries with Beaulieu next season. I'd be advocating signing a veteran-ish plug (like a Drewiske for example) to serve as the #8 when all are healthy. That would make more sense than having an AHL'er up and sitting on the bench. If the Hamilton guys are up, play them. Otherwise, let someone older sit. That has always been my philosophy.

Great analysis there. I've been worried about this.

Keith Ballard will be probably bought out. Would he be worth taking for a spin, maybe?

He's been beyond awful in Vancouver.

I think we really need to get a guy we know can play 20 minutes for us. Thats tough, but its what we need. Ballard isn't it.

Heres the big problem

2) A trade.

Being that we have 4 unrestricted free agent defensemen after next season in Markov, Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon, I'm not so sure a short-term/stop gap is a requirement.

The guaranteed long-term core is Subban, Gorges, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Emelin would be nice to add to that list but could decide to bolt. Diaz the same. Markov has a limited number of years left. Plus, no defense prospect we have is a slam-dunk... maybe Beaulieu pulls a Leblanc next season?

I'd rather Bergevin give himself the problem of having too many good defensemen instead of just enough or not enough. Needing to make a trade because of too much talent is a problem every GM should be striving for.

Is there a defenseman available through free agency or trade that provides what Emelin brought? Good. We need another Emelin anyway.

I agree with everything, other then Gorges being part if the gauranteed long term core. If the anything goes officiating continues, we need a more Tinordi and Emelin type of dmen and gorges us expandable.

Next year we also need a steady, tough, net clearing, hard hitting dman.

Emelin, Subban, Markov and Tinordi (if he doesnt take a step back like 2nd year players generally do) are a good core. If bealieau is ready to take the next step great, or if we get pre-injury Diaz, that us a bonus. But we need another heavy hitter on the blue line, particularly since Emelin will miss a couple of months.

Being that we have 4 unrestricted free agent defensemen after next season in Markov, Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon, I'm not so sure a short-term/stop gap is a requirement.

The guaranteed long-term core is Subban, Gorges, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Emelin would be nice to add to that list but could decide to bolt. Diaz the same. Markov has a limited number of years left. Plus, no defense prospect we have is a slam-dunk... maybe Beaulieu pulls a Leblanc next season?

I'd rather Bergevin give himself the problem of having too many good defensemen instead of just enough or not enough. Needing to make a trade because of too much talent is a problem every GM should be striving for.

Is there a defenseman available through free agency or trade that provides what Emelin brought? Good. We need another Emelin anyway.

I see our D core in a few years being Subban, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Georges. That to me is an exceptional back end, a great mix of toughness and offense. And I do not think Georges is going anywhere, I will go as far to say that he will be our next captain.

I agree that our defence corps looks good in 2-3 years. The problem is getting from here to there, and this problem has to be taken seriously, because this team is too good right now to sacrifice to future hopes just because we can't be bothered to address obvious short-term weaknesses. Maybe Tinordi will be ready next season, but defence is harder to play than forward, which makes a rerun of the Gallagher/Gachenyuk success story unlikely. And we would be playing a high-risk game relying on a raw rookie to replace Emelin for the first half. And even if that works, we really need two tough defenders in order to be seriously competitive, as the injury to Emelin showed.

I keep asking for people's opinion about Keith Ballard. Hardly a grade-A option, but he seems to me to have been chronically underused and under-valued in Vancouver. Maybe he could be signed affordably as a stop-gap option after his inevitable buy-out. Shane O'Brien might also be a buyout candidate given the mess in Colorado. I know people want heavy duty names capable of logging 20 minutes per night, but these sorts of guys might be more realistic options in terms of a short-term patchup job. Thoughts?

I'd be shocked if MB decided to "stand pat." He looked incredibly frustrated during the playoffs and obviously saw the Canadiens are missing a couple pieces.

I expect a couple trades and a couple signings.

As for the hole on D... gotta bring somebody in. Emelin being out for the first half dictates the need for another body. Tinordi is ready to be the 5 or 6 guy right now, so add a 3 or 4 to replace Emelin and gain depth when he is back.

I could see potential targets being D.Murray (Pitt) or R.Hainsey(Winn) for D. I wouldn't mind going after Franson (Tor) who is a RFA...