Free Agency 2013: Who do we want, who can we get?

Trizzak

Well, I think Commandant's point is that Clarkson's more than a fighter. He's more like a John Ferguson, a fighter who can score. And a player of that profile is, by general consensus, the kind of guy we need. Tough, mean, goes to the net, drops 'em as needed, can play top-6 minutes. So it's not about Lucic, it's about beefing up the 'power and toughness' quotient in our top 9. But 5.5 is a huge and risky cap hit, no question.

Absolutely.

I don't want a 4th line scrub who can't fight. I want a guy who can play the game and be put on the ice 15-18 minutes a night and can also fight.

You have to pay a premium for that... Supply and Demand says there aren't that many players like this.

Don't think we need more puck moving D on a team with Markov, Subban, Diaz, and Beaulieu close to NHL ready too.....

So no to Zidlicky.

We need two things.

1) A forward who causes havoc in front of the net.

2) A defenceman who prevents havoc in front of our own net.

Guest Stogey24

Don't think we need more puck moving D on a team with Markov, Subban, Diaz, and Beaulieu close to NHL ready too.....

So no to Zidlicky.

We need two things.

1) A forward who causes havoc in front of the net.

2) A defenceman who prevents havoc in front of our own net.

Yeah, I guess Zidlicky isn't the right idea. But the guy who I had mentioned before is Nystrom. He'll mix it up and has the ability to bury the puck. Cheap depth player.

Yeah, I guess Zidlicky isn't the right idea. But the guy who I had mentioned before is Nystrom. He'll mix it up and has the ability to bury the puck. Cheap depth player.

I like Nystrom, he's a decent fourth line physical player with a bit of offensive talent. He's someone worth looking at for sure.

Guest Stogey24

I like Nystrom, he's a decent fourth line physical player with a bit of offensive talent. He's someone worth looking at for sure.

Pretty crazy he went 10th overall.

Well, I think Commandant's point is that Clarkson's more than a fighter. He's more like a John Ferguson, a fighter who can score. And a player of that profile is, by general consensus, the kind of guy we need. Tough, mean, goes to the net, drops 'em as needed, can play top-6 minutes. So it's not about Lucic, it's about beefing up the 'power and toughness' quotient in our top 9. But 5.5 is a huge and risky cap hit, no question.

I would love to have a guy like Clarkson in the top 6. I just think paying 5.5 million for him is MADNESS. You get to pay about 4 forwards that kind of money, and 45 points isn't enough for that. It has to do with grossly overvaluing fighters, which comes from years of seeing our players getting intimidated or pummeled if they do drop the gloves. But like you said, you beat teams that try to outmuscle you by playing your own game. Overpaying to get that element will just create holes elsewhere.

We could definitely use more of those characteristics in the lineup, but not at the expense of being able to resign Elller or Gallagher. That's why I think Bergevin is more likely to bring in a guy in a cheaper price range like Bickell.

Clarkson scores a lot of goals... and yes, the point totals are low because he doesn't rack up the assists.

But I think he's involved in a lot more goals than the numbers show.

Clarkson does something that few of our forwards do, which is get to the front of the net, and cause traffic and chaos in front of the goalie. You don't get an assist for that, but on many goals it is as important as any pass.

Clarkso scores a lot of goals... and yes, the point totals are low because he doesn't rack up the assists.

But I think he's involved in a lot more goals than the numbers show.

Clarkson does something that few of our forwards do, which is get to the front of the net, and cause traffic and chaos in front of the goalie. You don't get an assist for that, but on many goals it is as important as any pass.

My wishlist is Clowe, Scuderi and Nystrom. This fills our three holes to a "t." I don't think this can happen without shedding some salary in a trade, my concern is that Bergevin will show the same amount of "skinflintery" during free agency that he displayed during the deadline and the Subban negotiations. The deadline and free agency is when you have to open up your pocket book. I'd like to see Diaz gone and Moen gone to make room for these guys. A second and a third round pick should do the job. This will give is maybe 10 million to play with, not sure of the exact numbers.

Would love Clarkson.. thought we should've made a move at the trade deadline for him.

We would have had his front of net presence to beat Anderson and the Sens in that first round matchup.

I've heard that at least (what he's telling the media), MB will not be busy come July 1st with free agents so I'm thinking that Clarkson might end up on another team (fingers crossed, not the Leafs).. and the price tag might be a bit too steep anyways.

But after last night's hammer job on Chara, I think Bryan Bickell is that power forward who would be more affordable and who MB should go after.

My wishlist is Clowe, Scuderi and Nystrom. This fills our three holes to a "t." I don't think this can happen without shedding some salary in a trade, my concern is that Bergevin will show the same amount of "skinflintery" during free agency that he displayed during the deadline and the Subban negotiations. The deadline and free agency is when you have to open up your pocket book. I'd like to see Diaz gone and Moen gone to make room for these guys. A second and a third round pick should do the job. This will give is maybe 10 million to play with, not sure of the exact numbers.

Scuderi i love.

Clowe I'm scared of.... multiple concussions.... scoring really tailed off not being on a line with Joe Thornton (see Murray, Cheechoo, Setogucchi). That scares me a lot.

Clarkson: 4.75M/per 3yrs

Bickell: 3.5M/per 5yrs

Clowe: 3M/per 2yrs

Those would be my initial offers.

I've heard some suggest Clark MacArthur. High possession numbers, 20 goal scorer. Could be snagged for cheap and on a low term. Scoring on Toronto would send Leaf fans in fits.

If he could be snagged for cheap and low-term, Toronto would already have him signed.

I'll order one Rob Scuderi. (2 years 3.5 per season)

and

one Brendan Bickell (4 years, 3.5 per season)

Game-tying goal in the final 90 seconds of the game to help his team win the championship?

it, 4 mill, 6 years!

/emotional armchair GMing

I'd like to start a discussion on Jagr.

Too old? Too slow?

Yeah, but he's Jagr. And hot damn would I love to see him mentor Galchenyuk for a year.

He ran out of gas quickly this year, I just don't think he has what it takes to be a top six forward on a good team over a full season anymore. Besides, he's super slow - the Habs play up tempo, I doubt he could keep up for long. He also has never been known to sign for cheap - he'll chase money above all else. The Habs never really were interested last offseason when he played better, I can't see them going after him this time around.

I would love to see the habs add Bickle or Clarkson up front, Especially Bickle.

Im not sure how easy he d be to sign though. Chicago has roughly 6.5 million in cap space with 20 players already signed and I dont see Bickle getting much more than $4 million per, he might even take a discount to stay in Chicago seeing as they just won the cup so its a great place to play and they re going to be good for at least a few more years.

On D id like to see the habs get a player like Mark Fistric. Hes got good size at 6,2, 230, he finished with 88 hits in 25 games as well as a plus 6 rating and he would probably come at a very affordable rate. Good guy in the 5-6 spot and you can never have too much depth on Defence.

As for Jagr, I would take him if the price was right. Watching him play in the playoffs he looked like he can still contribute even though hes lost some speed. He has great puck protection and possession skills and makes smart plays and timely passes. However Im not sure how long you would want him around and for a team like that habs that a still a few years from being a true contender that might not be the best for the development of the team, better to give the ice time to guys that will still be in in 2-3 years time.

good news is that with Lecavalier, Briere, most likely brad Richards and a few other guys bought out, it will take the attention away from guys that we really want....like Clarkson and Bickel and Clowe.

If we could free some cap space by moving Markov and/or DD for Picks, there is no reason why we can't get two of these guys. plus a guy like Nystrom, or Hendricks.

Galchenyuk Eller gallager

Pacioretty Plekanec Clarkson

Bickel Prust Gionta

Moen Nystrom White

Fear......Fear... Fear

I'd like to start a discussion on Jagr.

Too old? Too slow?

Yeah, but he's Jagr. And hot damn would I love to see him mentor Galchenyuk for a year.

I would love Jagr, I don't care how slow he is because in the O zone he is a force.

Only let him play 60 games if you think he will get burned out. The Bruins wern't the right style for him.

That said I would only sign him if he came on the cheap 3 mil or less. And as others have said I believe he values $ over all else.

good news is that with Lecavalier, Briere, most likely brad Richards and a few other guys bought out, it will take the attention away from guys that we really want....like Clarkson and Bickel and Clowe.

If we could free some cap space by moving Markov and/or DD for Picks, there is no reason why we can't get two of these guys. plus a guy like Nystrom, or Hendricks.

Galchenyuk Eller gallager

Pacioretty Plekanec Clarkson

Bickel Prust Gionta

Moen Nystrom White

Fear......Fear... Fear

It's fun to dream but there is no way that the Canadiens add 3 regulars to the top 12.

I would love Jagr, I don't care how slow he is because in the O zone he is a force.

Only let him play 60 games if you think he will get burned out. The Bruins wern't the right style for him.

That said I would only sign him if he came on the cheap 3 mil or less. And as others have said I believe he values $ over all else.

It's fun to dream but there is no way that the Canadiens add 3 regulars to the top 12.

No kidding! And every one at a huge overpayment. No, you're better off thinking in terms of ONE major UFA addition and a couple of bit pieces (a la Bouillon/Armstrong). And even that may prove a stretch, given MB's lack of enthusiasm for the UFA market.

Jagr would be interesting, we know he would like to come here but not at a discount. Is there really a big market for him at this point? He is basically a 1 year rental. He is no longer a 5 million dollar guy, maybe 3 million. Probably back to the KHL for his last few cheques.