What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Would you include Markov in any deals?

Markov? I would think and hope not...

Would like to hear everyone's opinion on whether you think Bickell or Sharp or both could help the Habs get to the final 2?

I know there are a few peeps talking about Sharp ready to decline, but seriously, if you have watched the finals, he hasn't declined inmho, in fact a really good player still, who creates offensive chances, solid all round player with grit and leadership, Bickell too albeit at a high rate of pay, he is still better than a couple of our top 6 for sure, in terms of a hockey player with size and game, and game when it counts.

So, whatcha all think? Is there a deal to be made with the Hawks? Should there be?

Personally I wonder why Markov's name has never been mentioned as a mentor for NB? Job security perhaps? Gotta admire Gonchar for stepping right in and helping a kid out. Don't misinterpret my comments, mind you..i know we still need AM, but in a lesser capacity

Would like to hear everyone's opinion on whether you think Bickell or Sharp or both could help the Habs get to the final 2?

I know there are a few peeps talking about Sharp ready to decline, but seriously, if you have watched the finals, he hasn't declined inmho, in fact a really good player still, who creates offensive chances, solid all round player with grit and leadership, Bickell too albeit at a high rate of pay, he is still better than a couple of our top 6 for sure, in terms of a hockey player with size and game, and game when it counts.

So, whatcha all think? Is there a deal to be made with the Hawks? Should there be?

Stay away from Bickell at all costs, even if he was offered for free (and I wouldn't be shocked if he was on waivers before too long). As much as he has a reputation for being a big game player, it's worth noting he has one goal in I believe his last 26 playoff games. He now finds himself a healthy scratch when it matters most as well. He has played with the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Hossa for long stretches this season and still couldn't crack 30 points (something he has only accomplished once in his NHL career). He's a better top six option than a guy like Prust but he has no business being in a top six role regularly on any team.

Sharp is in decline but he still should have a couple of good years left in him and it just so happens that he has a couple of years left on his contract. The money would be hard to manage though as Chicago isn't going to be up for taking salary back and the Habs don't have the space to take on $5.9 million without unloading some money somewhere.

Any chance we could sign a guy like stafford? If we sign Stafford its free value and we could unload PAP cheaply without losing out. Would be a good boost to our rw. And how much would adam mcquaid cost? If he could replace Emelins physicality and we could sign him at 3 mill or so, we would once again be able to dump some salary. It would make room for stafford and solve our rw problem. Then again, it's not likely we sign either.

I was laughed at last time I said it, but I really can't think of a high impact trade that will actually help the team for 15/16. I wanted Petry signed, but the negative (as Lovett said) is that there was only room in the cap for one big contract this year. That was Petry. Prior to that, MB could have used other teams cap situation as leverage to get an impact guy like NY did Last year with Boychuck and Leddy. Taking on cap hit from a team that will be over the cap in October. Now any trade will have to be a hockey trade. Nobody is taking Emelin or Eller in trade for their goal scorer. Trading Markov or Plek may not help the team right away. Which is what they need. What I see happening next year is status quo. The real difference will need to come from within.

PAP stays healthy and has an average season instead of an atrocious one. (Everyone thinks this is impossible) This alone could be good for 10 to 20 more points in the top 6. And I really don't think it's that unlikely. So many scenarios have us dumping PAP for nothing. He has one year left on his contract and coming off his worst season ever. I would keep him unless some moron GM was wiling to trade someone good for him.

Galchenyuk continues his painfully slow development. Manages to start using the ice and his fellow players to set up plays. Could be good for 5 to 10 points.

Beaulieu continues developing and finds some offense and puts up 5 to 15 more points.

Most importantly. The PP becomes average and counts for 20 more goals over the season.

This is all I would expect next season. The following season may be different.

Most importantly. The PP becomes average and counts for 20 more goals over the season.

I have the least hope for this out of all the points. They don't have the personel, imo. When the PP was really ripping, they had a winger on the halfwall with a great one-timer. (Kovalev, Ryder, Cammalleri)

Watching the Hawks, I can't help but wonder how the first wave would look with PAP or another forward up top.

I always believed that some guys on this board and in general just focus on the occasions where Galchenyuk dangles and loses puck and totally forget (voluntary or not) about all the slick pass that he makes. And I'm talking about every game. He sets some beautiful plays up entering the zone like every game or so.

He just never dump and chase. And quite frankly, I think that it's about fricking time that someone other than Subban uses anything else than dump and chase on this team.

Guest Stogey24

I always believed that some guys on this board and in general just focus on the occasions where Galchenyuk dangles and loses puck and totally forget (voluntary or not) about all the slick pass that he makes. And I'm talking about every game. He sets some beautiful plays up entering the zone like every game or so.

He just never dump and chase. And quite frankly, I think that it's about fricking time that someone other than Subban uses anything else than dump and chase on this team.

That's a really good point about Galchenyuk. I can't remember what radio station I was listening too, but they were saying wouldn't be surprising if Galchenyuk flourished under a coach like Cooper in Tampa.

Does anyone remember Lars a few years back, he'd always be the only one to bring the Puck over the blueline instead of dumping and chasing. Guess what, never stick handles anymore, only dump and chase. That style may be hurting these guys more than we know.

Hamilton PP coach (or forward coach anyways) Stepane Lebeau was fired.

Actually that may not be true, it is rumored in the la presse that he did not want to go to St John's. Ahhh you say tomato i say something else.

That's a really good point about Galchenyuk. I can't remember what radio station I was listening too, but they were saying wouldn't be surprising if Galchenyuk flourished under a coach like Cooper in Tampa.

Does anyone remember Lars a few years back, he'd always be the only one to bring the Puck over the blueline instead of dumping and chasing. Guess what, never stick handles anymore, only dump and chase. That style may be hurting these guys more than we know.

For all the heat Larry takes, that is his greatest asset. His ability to carry the puck out of the defensive zone and skate it into the offensive zone is huge. He may not have the offensive upside once he is there, but his line always seems to dominate cycling and offensive zone time. It's what makes him stand out in the playoffs.

Would you include Markov in any deals?

No

Ok so Markov stays ( and plays drastically fewer minutes, I would hope!) For future reference, does NB get some quality minutes alongside PK? Clearly AM can't be the workhorse he once was

No, Nate wont play with Subban in 2015-16.

Any chance we could sign a guy like stafford? If we sign Stafford its free value and we could unload PAP cheaply without losing out. Would be a good boost to our rw. And how much would adam mcquaid cost? If he could replace Emelins physicality and we could sign him at 3 mill or so, we would once again be able to dump some salary. It would make room for stafford and solve our rw problem. Then again, it's not likely we sign either.

Stafford maybe.

McQuaid really does suck, think Brian Allen 2.0

Actually that may not be true, it is rumored in the la presse that he did not want to go to St John's. Ahhh you say tomato i say something else.

He and Lefebvre apparently had many philosophical differences (not the first time this happened with Lefebvre and an assistant either). It's safe to say he was let go and Lebeau's comments since then pretty much confirm it.

Or we trade so n so for picks, promote a dawg or two and let the chips fall where they may. Moving contracts might free up some cap space to go for it at trade deadline..

That is way too specific! :tumbleweed:

Guest Stogey24

No

No, Nate wont play with Subban in 2015-16.

Guaruntee you see that pairing, maybe not right off, but the goal is to have Beaulieu taking Markov's minutes next season

Guaruntee you see that pairing, maybe not right off, but the goal is to have Beaulieu taking Markov's minutes next season

My guess is that it will be Petry playing 24-26minutes not Beaulieu.

And Beaulieu may/will play with Markov on 2nd pairing some.

(I know what hand they all are, dont matter)

Guest Stogey24

My guess is that it will be Petry playing 24-26minutes not Beaulieu.

And Beaulieu may/will play with Markov on 2nd pairing some.

(I know what hand they all are, dont matter)

It does matter. Part of the reason Petry signed is because he's a righty. We'll see though I guess

Beaulieu played between 24:00 and 25:10 for 4 games in mid-Feb, he was +1 and scored his only goal of year.

Can he do that for long periods of time and be consistent?

Possibly and after a good off-season training he may be a stronger, more confident version come the fall?

I think is gonna be big (telling) years for the three 1st round picks, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi. (but, will all three still be Habs on July 2nd?)

He and Lefebvre apparently had many philosophical differences (not the first time this happened with Lefebvre and an assistant either). It's safe to say he was let go and Lebeau's comments since then pretty much confirm it.

ok

Stay away from Bickell at all costs, even if he was offered for free (and I wouldn't be shocked if he was on waivers before too long). As much as he has a reputation for being a big game player, it's worth noting he has one goal in I believe his last 26 playoff games. He now finds himself a healthy scratch when it matters most as well. He has played with the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Hossa for long stretches this season and still couldn't crack 30 points (something he has only accomplished once in his NHL career). He's a better top six option than a guy like Prust but he has no business being in a top six role regularly on any team.

Sharp is in decline but he still should have a couple of good years left in him and it just so happens that he has a couple of years left on his contract. The money would be hard to manage though as Chicago isn't going to be up for taking salary back and the Habs don't have the space to take on $5.9 million without unloading some money somewhere.

I like sharp. Lot of money for the guy however. Plus i dont like how he has been totally shut down in these play offs. Has not scored a goal since May.3rd.