2016 World Cup thread

JoeLassister

Yes, there's a Young Stars team in this tournament...as long as you're from Canada or USA. If you're not, then you can't play for that team but you can play for your country (for example, Patrik Laine is on Finland). Perhaps more apt names for the final teams would be 'Gimmick Team 1' and ' Gimmick Team 2.'

Talk to any of the players involved, and they'll tell you how they laid in bed as a child, dreaming of hoisting the Gimmick Cup.

Talk to any of the players involved, and they'll tell you how they laid in bed as a child, dreaming of hoisting the Gimmick Cup.

"It's a dream come true to win the Gimmick Cup. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I had, just giddy with the thought of suiting up for the chance to play for higher HRR and the potential for slightly lower escrow payments in CBA's to come. A medal is just something that gets hung around your neck, a one-time thing for 20-30 people per team. What we've accomplished here in this tournament with this victory is so much more; we've further lined thousands of pockets for years to come. I couldn't be more proud right now."

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Duncan Keith out due to injury, Jay Bouwmeester in. For the life of me I do not understand how Subban or Letang wouldn't be a better option even if they played on their opposite side. It's like picking Manny Lee to play shortstop over Roberto Alomar

The Gold Medal was won with a hermetically sealed defensive system. They don't believe Subban can play in such a system. They are wrong, just as the doubters of PK Subban have always been wrong, but that's beside the point.

I wonder if those guys would pick Erik Karlsson to be on their team? Too high-risk?

Well in Erik Karlsons case, I heard he has more goals against when on the ice than any other defender in the league by a pretty wide margin.

He is amazing offensively probably the best in the game but his D from what is read and seen of him is pretty bad. That might of been a reason they would of left him off had he been Canadian.

Well in Erik Karlsons case, I heard he has more goals against when on the ice than any other defender in the league by a pretty wide margin.

He is amazing offensively probably the best in the game but his D from what is read and seen of him is pretty bad. That might of been a reason they would of left him off had he been Canadian.

I haven't crunched the numbers on Karlsson, but my impression is that PK is actually a much more fully-rounded player. The funny thing is, you seldom hear Karlsson receive the kinds of criticisms that have routinely been lobbed at Subban EVEN THOUGH Subban seems to be a more complete player. Perhaps that's because Subban's coaches in Montreal actively contributed to the narrative that he had 'problem' elements to his game, while Ottawa has been happy to give Karlsson lots of rope. Or perhaps it's because PK's flashy personality triggers visceral resentment from the defenders of the NHL Robot Player Culture, which guys like Babcock are in the front line of insisting on, while Karlsson plays by their totalitarian personality rule-book. One thing's for sure, though, it *certainly* could not be a double standard generated by a subliminal racism that makes people react very differently when a black guy does it compared to when a Euro-Caucasian does it. That's for sure.

Despite that, he generates so much offense that he is also one of the biggest net-positive players in the league.

I haven't crunched the numbers on Karlsson, but my impression is that PK is actually a much more fully-rounded player. The funny thing is, you seldom hear Karlsson receive the kinds of criticisms that have routinely been lobbed at Subban EVEN THOUGH Subban seems to be a more complete player. Perhaps that's because Subban's coaches in Montreal actively contributed to the narrative that he had 'problem' elements to his game, while Ottawa has been happy to give Karlsson lots of rope. Or perhaps it's because PK's flashy personality triggers visceral resentment from the defenders of the NHL Robot Player Culture, which guys like Babcock are in the front line of insisting on, while Karlsson plays by their totalitarian personality rule-book. One thing's for sure, though, it *certainly* could not be a double standard generated by a subliminal racism that makes people react very differently when a black guy does it compared to when a Euro-Caucasian does it. That's for sure.

I totally agree that Subban is the more well rounded D man with Subban being a lot better in his own end and Karlsson being a bit better offensively. There is no denying that they are both amazing players in their own right but personally I would pick PK for my guy but maybe that's because I'm a bit biased towards him.

Now is regards to the last bit you wrote I can't say either way, I think the whole management hated PK and was more harder on him is being blown out of proportions a little bit, not saying it's unjustified though. From what I have heard him and Babcock might of butted heads a couple times and in PK's case I think he had butted heads with every single one of his coaches if I'm not correct. Which leads me to believe that maybe PK is a bit hard to coach and that the truth to all this lies somewhere in the middle of the two narratives running here.

Suffice to say I have always liked watching PK play but there certainly was some times where I just had to shake my head at some of the plays he would make but that's beside the point. He is a great hockey player and I look forward to watching him play in Nashville.

Despite that, he generates so much offense that he is also one of the biggest net-positive players in the league.

That's true, I was just saying that might be a reason he would of been left off team Canada. Completely hypothetical

I totally agree that Subban is the more well rounded D man with Subban being a lot better in his own end and Karlsson being a bit better offensively. There is no denying that they are both amazing players in their own right but personally I would pick PK for my guy but maybe that's because I'm a bit biased towards him.

Now is regards to the last bit you wrote I can't say either way, I think the whole management hated PK and was more harder on him is being blown out of proportions a little bit, not saying it's unjustified though. From what I have heard him and Babcock might of butted heads a couple times and in PK's case I think he had butted heads with every single one of his coaches if I'm not correct. Which leads me to believe that maybe PK is a bit hard to coach and that the truth to all this lies somewhere in the middle of the two narratives running here.

Suffice to say I have always liked watching PK play but there certainly was some times where I just had to shake my head at some of the plays he would make but that's beside the point. He is a great hockey player and I look forward to watching him play in Nashville.

I actually never heard of Subban 'butting heads' with coaches. What I've heard is JM and MT both telling PK he needs to be 'fixed' (Hal Gill's word). I don't recall ever hearing of Subban explicitly challenging them; what I think he's done is, rather, take their comments under advisement while remaining committed to being who he is (which includes making bold plays now and then). Even the preposterous diktat that he could not low-five Carey Price any longer, he abided by. He's 'hard to coach' in the sense of refusing to be a robot, but I don't see much evidence that he is 'un-coachable' per se.

I suspect Karlsson would also have had some trouble with JM and MT. Guys like him and Subban are truly gifted players; trying to cram them into cookie-cutter, plodding, unimaginative systems that leave no room for creativity or dynamic self-expression is simply folly. Guy Lafleur could never perform a set play to save his life, and his inability to do so frequently led to practice drills breaking down. Those coaches, wisely, did not insist on him conforming to their set plays. JM and MT would. And their relationship with The Flower probably would have been fraught and thorny as a result. God only knows what they would have done with a truly radical prodigy like Bobby Orr.

Because Bouwmeester is better than Subban. DUH.

Canada mgmt. "Subban..haha yah right, not with ten foot pole, we let him play a game or two in 2014, never again!"

I haven't crunched the numbers on Karlsson, but my impression is that PK is actually a much more fully-rounded player. The funny thing is, you seldom hear Karlsson receive the kinds of criticisms that have routinely been lobbed at Subban EVEN THOUGH Subban seems to be a more complete player.

Again, that guy who used to play for Montreal is your favourite player, so gotta take that statement with grain of salt and who won the Norris last year with quite a few points on a shite team and can skate circles around that other guy? :rastapop:

The more I read Don's posts about Subban, the more I'm convinced that P.K. ran over his dog, or maybe took a dump on his corn flakes one morning.

Why? Because I brought up that he may not be a better all round d-man than Karlsson and a guy comparing his favourite player to another similar player, might be a bit biased? Is that far fetched?

But, par for course whenever anyone criticizes or even questions Subban superman powers...taboo I know and I am the bad guy for that. :wall:

Again, that guy who used to play for Montreal is your favourite player, so gotta take that statement with grain of salt and who won the Norris last year with quite a few points on a shite team and can skate circles around that other guy? :rastapop:

You're confusing cause and effect. I don't think PK Subban is a fantastic hockey player because he's my 'favourite player.' He's my 'favourite player' because he's a fantastic hockey player. But when ad hominem arguments are all you've got, I guess you've gotta use 'em.

Why? Because I brought up that he may not be a better all round d-man than Karlsson and a guy comparing his favourite player to another similar player, might be a bit biased? Is that far fetched?

But, par for course whenever anyone criticizes or even questions Subban superman powers...taboo I know and I am the bad guy for that. :wall:

It wasn't one post, you've crapped on the guy every day. Its as predictable as Habsrule crapping on le Genius at this point.

The Gold Medal was won with a hermetically sealed defensive system. They don't believe Subban can play in such a system. They are wrong, just as the doubters of PK Subban have always been wrong, but that's beside the point.

I wonder if those guys would pick Erik Karlsson to be on their team? Too high-risk?

It's interesting because I'm not fully sure that that is the reason they leave him off the team, but if it is I agree that they are wrong. Subban can definitely play a solid defensive game. The only thing is that the strength of his game is to be a little more individualistic so while I'm sure Subban can actually play Jay Bouwmeester's game better than Jay Bouwmeester can play his own style himself, why bother when JB already plays that style? When Subban is playing to his strengths, he does turn over the puck more. I'm guessing that's their mentality. I agree on Canada, they'd want him to be a robot so it wouldn't even be the real Subban. He would just be another solid pillar, just like JB. Ironically in this case, I think Subban brings more intangibles to the table than JB even if you use him in a limited role, so I think it's a mistake. One that they will get away with.

I think the Karlsson question is one we've all asked ourselves and my personal answer is that he would definitely make team Canada. Without comparing him to Subban, it's hard to argue that he shouldn't be on team Canada when looking only at him. With the choices they've made, maybe not though when you consider that Letang isn't on the team either. They don't like the East Coast.

When John Chayka takes over Team Canada, hopefully guys like Subban and Letang aren't too old to play on it.

If I could choose one person from the Coyotes organization players included, I'd have to think about taking Chayka

Guest Stogey24

Holtby gave price a vote of confidence. He basically said Price should be getting the starting spot for Canada( I'm sure price was the guy anyways though).

It wasn't one post, you've crapped on the guy every day. Its as predictable as Habsrule crapping on le Genius at this point.

And those who choose Desharnais, Eller, Emelin, Bergevin, Therrien as constant target of ridicule? Different? And hey, I am at least not a flip flopper :blush: . And really more crapping on those who post stuff that is out to lunch, 100% one-sided over the top BS, or might be debatable, not necessarily Subban. But you would prefer if I don't respond if I disagree or have a totally different point of view? (stop bringing it up then and let sleeping dogs lie, is fine by me, boring but fine)

And screw him, he isn't a Hab anymore, so what is big deal, other than some people's seemingly obsessive love for him.