Are Habs fan fickle?

KoZed

Well... are most Habs fan fickle?

Seems that a lot of opinions expressed on the boards about Habs players is either black or white. Its either "He's awesome!" or "Get rid of him!"...

Pre-season... Bonk was an overpaid bum who should be traded. Perezhogin was a bust. Ribeiro was a douche holding back Plekanec, Souray needs to be shipped out for a C, etc.

Now Bonk's a hero, Perezhogin should be on the 2nd line, Plekanec's never going to be a 2nd C, Latendresse should be sent to juniors, Souray's the PP savior, etc.

I'm having a tough time understanding these radical swings. Are we so passionate we lack patience and foresight? Or are we just dramatizing and exagerating everything?

Or are we simply fickle? We give up on players at the first sign of trouble?

Is the Earth round?

Of course Habs fans are fickle. They get amped or depressed by the smallest thing. Patience is a virtue seldom seen in most Habs fans. Ribero would have been packed away by most Montreal fans about a year ago, and then a week after he was traded and he got some points in Dallas some would have traded a first round draft pick to get him back ... the way they were talking about him.

Now how to cure this fickleness? Encourage other hobbies. Promote different interests. Get them all girl/boyfriends. But unfortunately the average Habs fan lives and dies by the ol' red white and blue.

C'est la vie, hostie!

Well that's what most fans do regardless of which team they root for.

If a player plays badly then nobody likes him, if he plays well then everyone's cheering for him.

No matter which city you're in, that's the way it goes. It isn't an affliction of fans of the Canadiens alone.

Besides, they're just other people's opinions in the context of a discussion. No one here is going to influence the actual moves that are made. So if you feel that some people are fickle, so be it they probably are, but in the greater picture it doesn't make much difference.

Isn't everybody who roots for any team like that?

No. Most fans don't call for a player's head after 8 games (Samsonov). Most fans don't call for rookies to be banished after a slow start (Latendresse). Most fans don't think their prospects will all be stars (Plex, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, etc.). Most fans don't boo MVP players (Arod). Habs fans and Yankees fans both take things way too seriously and never cut their teams any slack.

It's just the way it is. It's been like that forever. People here know a lot about hockey and they expect a lot. They've been lucky, they've had good players here before and that's why they put so much pressure on them..

Mathieu Garon, 15/02/2003

Well that's what most fans do regardless of which team they root for.

If a player plays badly then nobody likes him, if he plays well then everyone's cheering for him.

No matter which city you're in, that's the way it goes. It isn't an affliction of fans of the Canadiens alone.

Besides, they're just other people's opinions in the context of a discussion. No one here is going to influence the actual moves that are made. So if you feel that some people are fickle, so be it they probably are, but in the greater picture it doesn't make much difference.

Right, it doesn't make a difference in the greater picture of things but it does make a difference in the smaller context of keeping this site a stimulating place to come and visit........the up and down manic depressive based's opinions and threads are as predictable as they are hollow in content.......a poor recipe to keep the

interested reader interested.......some incorporated humour could go a long way in making those emotionnal posts fun to read....it's a bommer that those two rarely travel in pairs.

I believe that the salary cap may have something to do with this. It makes the fan view the players and the team with a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. If a guy isn't producing, he is automatically overpaid and should be trade in the eyes of may fans.

I would rather that my team deal with thier problems early in the season. Then they have time to make adjustments and learn how to deal with advirsity. I would rather see The Habs peak later in the season and learn how to deal with their problems now than vise versa. Overciming these problems now will make them a stronger team down the road.

I know this is easier said than done because of course we want to win every game and beat every team we play. If you didn't feel that they should win every game, then you wouldn't be a true fan, like Habs fans are.

GO HABS GO!!!!

I think it's getting worse, and I don't think it has to do with 'knowledgable fans,' whatever Garon said. Knowledgable fans would NOT have booed Brisebois out of town; they would have recognized that he was a good defenceman miscast as a #1 defenceman on a terrible team, an arrangement which guaranteed his overuse and exposed his weaknesses. (Then there was the year he uncomplainingly played most of the season on his wrong side because we had no one else to play there - and his reward was merciless jeering and humiliation). Knowledgable fans would NOT have booed Koivu for eating up ice time supposedly better allocated to Ribeiro. Knowledgable fans would NOT be howling for Souray's scalp because of his defensive lapses, when the man is a powerhouse on offense. And so on.

Let's put it another way: Larry Robinson would have been driven out of town by this generation of Habs' fans, because guess what? He made defensive mistakes.

In short, Montreal fans consistently believe that addition works by subtraction - which, except in rare cases, is the mathematics of an idiot.

I'm not sure whether we're better or worse than fans elsewhere, but I think we turn on players faster than any other fanbase in the NHL. And I think that it hurts us hugely when it comes to attracting free agents - a disaster in the 'new NHL' of player mobility.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I think it's getting worse, and I don't think it has to do with 'knowledgable fans,' whatever Garon said. Knowledgable fans would NOT have booed Brisebois out of town; they would have recognized that he was a good defenceman miscast as a #1 defenceman on a terrible team, an arrangement which guaranteed his overuse and exposed his weaknesses. (Then there was the year he uncomplainingly played most of the season on his wrong side because we had no one else to play there - and his reward was merciless jeering and humiliation). Knowledgable fans would NOT have booed Koivu for eating up ice time supposedly better allocated to Ribeiro. Knowledgable fans would NOT be howling for Souray's scalp because of his defensive lapses, when the man is a powerhouse on offense. And so on.

Let's put it another way: Larry Robinson would have been driven out of town by this generation of Habs' fans, because guess what? He made defensive mistakes.

In short, Montreal fans consistently believe that addition works by subtraction - which, except in rare cases, is the mathematics of an idiot.

True, so very true. And like you, I think it's only getting worse.

It's interesting that you wrote this thread KoZed. I was going to write something similar.

The one that's most irritating is the negative Latendresse stuff who has played reasonably well. I couldn't ask for more right now. And, maybe tonight the tables will turn on those negative opinions after he does the job.

Then there's Kovalev and...on and on and on.

On that topic I'll simply say what I told Pierre about that topic a while ago : Rationality is too boring for us Habs fans :lol:

Seems that a lot of opinions expressed on the boards about Habs players is either black or white. Its either "He's awesome!" or "Get rid of him!"...

Pre-season... Bonk was an overpaid bum who should be traded. Perezhogin was a bust. Ribeiro was a douche holding back Plekanec, Souray needs to be shipped out for a C, etc.

Now Bonk's a hero, Perezhogin should be on the 2nd line, Plekanec's never going to be a 2nd C, Latendresse should be sent to juniors, Souray's the PP savior, etc.

I'm having a tough time understanding these radical swings. Are we so passionate we lack patience and foresight? Or are we just dramatizing and exagerating everything?

Amen, kz, it's downright ridiculous at times.

I have to confess that sometimes I don't feel like coming in to talk because it gets tiring.

By the way, I'm not complaining... I'm just expressing how I see and react to such stuff. It's not just here but anywhere I rampant negativity. I hardly watch the news anymore...

Go :hlogo: Go!

Personally, I think I have been very consistent.

I did not like the Riberio trade. (not that I was against trading him away, just that trade).

I did not and do not think Pleks will ever be a number 2 center of any value. I do think he can be a great 3rd line center.

I think almost every prospect the Habs have is massively over rated around here. That includes Lats, who would not be playing on any other team. He might be a decent player one day out in the future.

I think you should not expect much more then 60 to 75 points out of Kovalev, regardless of the fact that he has the "talent" to get 100.

I think Huet was signed for too much on too little evidence. I suspect he will have an average season, not great, not horrible.

I think Souray is a good asset, despite his spotty defensive play.

I think Koivu is a great team guy, but below average as a number one center in this league. He would be awesome as our number 2 center and captain until he retires.

I think Ryder is a 30 goal guy, I don't think he will ever break 40.

I have little use for half the defensemen on this team. I like souray, Markov, boo boo, and I can live with Rivet. Everyone else.. blah.

I like Gainey, but I don't think he is infallible. That said, when he makes mistakes they are small. He doesn't make huge blunders (eg. Trading Thorton.. LOL).

There ya go, rip me a new one. :)

Oh, I was disappointed with Bonk last year but I like his play this year. He is expensive, but definitely adds value.

Begin, love him.

Habs fans in a nutshell.

Never satisfied.

Bingo - I agree with this assessment as well as Kozed's.....

If you ask me, they are todays version of 'the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate'

Very very fickle. But then again it's always about the person who shouts the loudest to be heard. But these fans are pretty critical and overly sensitive. Whenever a player is doing slightly bad, regular fans admit it and the real haters come out of lurking and claim "I said it all along..." etc etc.

I wish everyone should just hold hands and concentrate their hate into love. Or hating other teams and saying bad things about them.

Well i know what you mean. Im not one of those i know who sucks on my favorite team and i know who should be were. With everyone saying Perezhogin was a bust....i hope you cry in a corner for those words, as i never in my life dissed that player he has heart thats what a team needs.

Bonk was overpaid and i always knew what he was brought here for; Defense thats it.

Ribiero was always a shit player, Holding back plekanec, Well as for plekanec i dont find him a bust also remember he plays a more defensive role on the second line as Samsonov and Kovalev arn't the best in their own zone.

Latendress i told everyone i knew and they all try and ignore me now when i tell them "i told you so" Latendress should have not been in this team, but even if he wasnt it wouldnt make a diffrence.

And finally Souray aw yes just simply awesome all i got to say.

Now Kozed i agree with you man people on this forum go back and forth with what they say only person i didn't like was Ryder but he showed me he improved, still has the same moves tho lol.

But yes EVERYONE stop going back and fourth with your desicions on players as it gets anoyying...and then you have nothing to back it up.

some of us sound simply like poor losers. it also seems that a certain lack of confidence plagues some of us. the need for the eternal win and for every player to play at top form all of the time is just unreasonable.

some of us need to get more balance in life.

Go :hlogo: Go!

Yes, Habs fans are fickle, and in the age of instant information, it's just gotten worse. We read all we can consume about the team. You can simulate using ultra realistic video games. We can pay money to watch every single game now. We can listen to the games online. Radio streams online, we can listen to all of the Habs talk shows, call in shows, press conferences, etc. You can track the move of every player within the farm. That said, many people mistake these sources as fact rather than opinion. We're taking what the media reports as fact. People use this second hand information as the basis for their own opinions, and suddenly, everyone is smarter than the management running the team. Sheesh, why didn't Gainey trade Ribeiro for a Norris quality dman? I'm sure I could've done it!!

I know in Montreal's case, it has always been this way to an extent. But it has gotten much worse. And it isn't just here, it's everywhere with a major sports team. Plummer started the year for the Broncos poorly, and after two games, there was a QB controversy and people wanted a freshly drafted rookie to replace him. Insane.

Back to the Habs, it seems even worse this year. I mean, c'mon, we've played 10 games and people are already overhauling the roster.