Habs acquire Mathieu Biron

Makh2o

I Agree with the comments made early about this move being part of something bigger.

Deals aren't often made with such quickness and ease; This maybe part of something big in the future. The habs have something brewing! I'm still hopeful that Gainey is planning another brilliant move to help the habs in the second half of this season. Much like he did when he traded for Kovalev. We are still missing a few keys to make our current team cup contenders. Look for a blockbuster deal that puts the habs in major contention for a good cup run.

Go Habs Go!

Duncan Milroy or Corey Locke for a rental? B)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. And based on his performance, I'm thinking Maxim might stay up with the big club for a while. What to do... what to do...?

Just waiver Murray. If we need a replacement you can pic youth. Or there is always someone to get like Murray, its not like he brings that much. Keep Lapierre. (we also got Downey, STreit and Begin for the 4th line)

I heard on the Team990 today that the move was made b/c Traverse's family lives in the SJ area, and he was unhappy being in Hamilton.

Thus - this is no indication that there will be any future trades (i.e., we didn't get Biron to replace Souray)

Edited by Gman

So, where are all the "We got Traverse the sky is falling" people.

Whereever you are, you must be happy now.

TRUST IN BOB - TRUST IN GAUTHIER :hlogo:

Pierre Gauthier:

NHL Team Manager/President

1993-1995: Assistant general manager for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim hockey team in California, USA.

1996: General manager of Canada's 1996 World Championship squad.

1997: Co-managed Canada's 1997 world championship team.

1998: One of three NHL general managers named to lead Canada's Olympic hockey team in Nagano.

1995-1998: Signed 5 year contract as general manager of the Ottawa Senators hockey team in Ottawa, Canada.

He is known for his quiet, understated manner and methodical approach. His success in Ottawa earned him recognition throughout the hockey community and he was acclaimed as their most successful general manager in the team's brief history. He left the Ottawa Senators in good health when he resigned citing family complications and returned to live with his wife and children in California.

1998: Returned to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, California, USA signing a 5 year contract as team president.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I heard on the Team990 today that the move was made b/c Traverse's family lives in the SJ area, and he was unhappy being in Hamilton.

Thus - this is no indication that there will be any future trades (i.e., we didn't get Biron to replace Souray)

I wonder how anyone in either organization cares about where Travers wants to live. It is a nice thing to do ... but it isn't likely that the trade would go through unless Biron was singing the same tune.

As always, rumours mean nothing; and the working of our GMs' minds are beyond our feeble comprehension.

Well, I like it. Biron had some good stats in the AHL this year, and he was once drafted in the first round. He's got NHL experience as well - scored 13pts in 52 games for the Caps last yr.

He can function better than Traverse as an injury callup.

Well, I like it. Biron had some good stats in the AHL this year, and he was once drafted in the first round. He's got NHL experience as well - scored 13pts in 52 games for the Caps last yr.

He can function better than Traverse as an injury callup.

And he's a right-handed d-man.

I think KOZED hit the inners of the deal on all points ( yeah I agreed with you, the world is not coming to an end)

The biggest factor is likely the right handed D depth that we lack, not to mention Traverse is finally gone.........again.

It's a depth move, that's it. Traverse also wanted to go back to San Jose where his family lives as someone pointed out.

The location argument holds no water. Worcester is in Massachusettes, which is where Traverse will be playing.

But yeah, a depth move. Essentially a trade between Worcester and Hamilton, not San Jose and Montreal.

Something else to consider...

Biron's only 26... hypothetically, he's just beginning to come onto his own as a defenseman. He wasn't drafted in the 1st round for nothing so there must be something to work with there.

As was stated earlier maybe, with the Canadiens coaches and trainers, he will be moulded into a very useful member of the team's defensive needs be it as a reserve player or a second or third pair player. He's already rated potentially as a third pairing defenseman whereas Traverse was rated only as a reserve defenseman... Traverse is 30 also so more time has been lost to possibly help him to grow.

Be it that this will end up as a depth move or as one who will be groomed into a valuable member of the big team, I'm not concerned.

I just look at it as a good move for us.

GO :hlogo: GO!