End of Season Presser 2015-16

DON

Of course Andrighetto came from Europe..but he was 18 and played in the Q for 2 years.

No one's doubting Reway has skill, but many wash outs do. It is between the ears that he seems to be lacking the most. Or is similar to Nygren and just likes being close to home/family making a good enough salary.

Yeah but the difference being he was well established in NA for 2 years before we drafted him. It wasn't the Habs convincing him to come over.

I know...not good comparable to Reway at all and Andrighetto actually knows what backcheck means.

I assume Reway will play at the world championships eh?

To me, the real question is: does Reway have the potential to be an impact offensive forward in the NHL? If he does, then carrying an old-school, our-way-or-the-highway mentality to the point of losing the player, does not seem wise for an organization with a dearth of top-6 talent. There has to be a middle ground between Habs29's philosophy of just handing the keys unconditionally to punks who haven't earned a damned thing, and the aforementioned 'do it our way or f*k off' mindset. I get that we shouldn't reward millennial 'entitlement,' but just losing potentially important players in the name of inflexibility surely isn't the way to roll, especially not in a cap system where you need all the cheap talent you can get.

If he doesn't project to be an impact offensive forward, then that's something else.

• Upvote 1

There's a laundry list of complaints against Reway, and some of them are laughable, like how he insists on wearing LAKs gear. What prospect does that?

I believe that he skipped out on a rookie camp to take a vacation. I don't think it was the main camp, but I could be wrong.

To me, the real question is: does Reway have the potential to be an impact offensive forward in the NHL? If he does, then carrying an old-school, our-way-or-the-highway mentality to the point of losing the player, does not seem wise for an organization with a dearth of top-6 talent. There has to be a middle ground between Habs29's philosophy of just handing the keys unconditionally to punks who haven't earned a damned thing, and the aforementioned 'do it our way or f*k off' mindset. I get that we shouldn't reward millennial 'entitlement,' but just losing potentially important players in the name of inflexibility surely isn't the way to roll, especially not in a cap system where you need all the cheap talent you can get.

If he doesn't project to be an impact offensive forward, then that's something else.

Is that what MB refers to as character? I am beginning to wonder about that character thingy when the coach's are not held responsible for anything, as long as they have a good excuse.

I'm not saying hand him the keys. I'm saying give him a legitimate chance to show he belongs, if he doesn't show he is a top 6 NHL player, cut bait and let him go home.

The Hawks brought in panarin as a UFA last year. No NHL experience - albeit, he is 24 years old. Th played him with their best player Patrick Kane. If that had been the habs, panarin would have started on the 4th line and MT would be trying to teach him shot blocking.

There was a very telling difference in how the habs bring in young players . The way the Hawks do, by Stan bowman's comments about panarin in a recent interview. He said that they wanted to put him in a position to succeed and play to his strengths, so they put him with Kane. They didn't care that panarin is a rookie and hasn't played in North america and make him earn his time by starting on the 3rd or 4th line. They also didn't try to first see how defensively responsible he is. They also didn't care that Kane and Panarin are two pretty small guys and feel you can't play small guys. Bowman said he saw a skilled, fast player that should be a good fit with his most talented player and he wanted to put him in a position to succeed.

If he had signed with Montreal, he would have played on the third line with Eller, or the 4th line with mitchell.

It was rookie camp and he probably knew that he'd only get a chance to play on the rock.

There's a laundry list of complaints against Reway, and some of them are laughable, like how he insists on wearing LAKs gear. What prospect does that?

I believe that he skipped out on a rookie camp to take a vacation. I don't think it was the main camp, but I could be wrong.

Exactly what exactly have JJ dandeult and Lefevre earned? They're still here because they grow up with and are drinking buddies with the boss. Any other team would have fired MT after a year like this

Is that what MB refers to as character? I am beginning to wonder about that character thingy when the coach's are not held responsible for anything, as long as they have a good excuse.

Attending rookie camp and being signed to a AHL or NHL contract are not quite the same. And what did Lehkonen say when asked if he was planning on attending, "Yes, of course."

Seems night and day attitude difference between two prospects in similar situation.

I'm not saying hand him the keys. I'm saying give him a legitimate chance to show he belongs, if he doesn't show he is a top 6 NHL player, cut bait and let him go home.

The Hawks brought in panarin as a UFA last year. No NHL experience - albeit, he is 24 years old. Th played him with their best player Patrick Kane. If that had been the habs, panarin would have started on the 4th line and MT would be trying to teach him shot blocking.

There was a very telling difference in how the habs bring in young players . The way the Hawks do, by Stan bowman's comments about panarin in a recent interview. He said that they wanted to put him in a position to succeed and play to his strengths, so they put him with Kane. They didn't care that panarin is a rookie and hasn't played in North america and make him earn his time by starting on the 3rd or 4th line. They also didn't try to first see how defensively responsible he is. They also didn't care that Kane and Panarin are two pretty small guys and feel you can't play small guys. Bowman said he saw a skilled, fast player that should be a good fit with his most talented player and he wanted to put him in a position to succeed.

If he had signed with Montreal, he would have played on the third line with Eller, or the 4th line with mitchell.

Some good points, and yes he would have been on 3rd or 4th line, and don't forget he would have had his a$$ stapled to the bench any time he made a mistake. :)

Its extremely rare for prospects who should be at rookie camp to skip it for a vacation.

Extremely rare.

So we should write him off? I don't know how rookie camps work, was he getting paid? How long a season and how injured was he? Just some thoughts.

So we should write him off? I don't know how rookie camps work, was he getting paid? How long a season and how injured was he? Just some thoughts.

Based on just that, no.

But this kid is developping a history as a head case. He's made a number of questionable decisions since being drafted. Clashing with his QMJHL coach, abandoning his QMJHL team to go to the Czech league.... then abandoning his Czech team to go to Switzerland.

He's also telling people he has no contact with the Habs.

He's also taken to wearing LA Kings gear, despite the fact he's a Habs draft pick.

All this together is massive warning signs.

He's got talent, and I hope I'm wrong, but I kinda think he'll never play for us.

I'd like to see the Habs sign Reway. Offer him the maximum entry level deal ($925 000 base salary + bonuses that could bring the cap hit up to $3.775 mil) for the minimum term with a clause that he can return to Europe if he doesn't make the team. It's the best deal he is going to get from any team. If he ends up earning those bonuses than great. The Habs have a legit NHLer, if not, he's an inexpensive rookie or tucked away in Europe. His NHL rights will belong to the Habs until he's 27. If he improves and/or matures he could be useful down the road or as trade bait.

If he says no to the contract (which as I said is the best offer he is going to get from any NHL team), perhaps Bergevin can use him as part of a package to land immediate help. I also wonder if he could be shipped along with a pick to move up in the draft. Maybe turn our second rounder into a late first rounder or Minnesota's second rounder into an early second rounder.

I can understand why he may not want to play for the Habs. Montreal tends to bring their prospects along slowly, and sometimes it seems like they maybe holding them back. I'm just saying that could be his perception. I'm sure he doesn't want to end up sitting in the press box for a prolonged period of time (or at all). He recognizes that he has a chance to sign with any team he wants in a year. Perhaps a rebuilding team that can just about guarantee him a good spot on the roster for lack of better options. As far as him missing rookie camp to go on vacation, perhaps he didn't want to risk injury without a contract signed. He has a selfish outlook and looks out for himself. That's not very positive, but I'd rather try to get him under contract and trade him for something than lose him for nothing and watch him possibly flourish somewhere else.

He's 5'9, with a laundry list of laughable low character incidents. For example, during the Drouin holdout and the subsequent rumors of Montreal, he put a photoshopped picture of him next to Drouin. When asked, he said "there's been trade rumors."

He's got mental issues, and his stats aren't that impressive. I do hope they retain his rights to keep up the laugh track.

If he says no to the contract (which as I said is the best offer he is going to get from any NHL team), perhaps Bergevin can use him as part of a package to land immediate help. I also wonder if he could be shipped along with a pick to move up in the draft. Maybe turn our second rounder into a late first rounder or Minnesota's second rounder into an early second rounder.

He has next to zero trade value right now let alone after spurring us on a contract offer. Teams know his disinterest in playing for Montreal and he has proven nothing in the NHL. His value is fifth round pick low.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see the Habs sign Reway. Offer him the maximum entry level deal ($925 000 base salary + bonuses that could bring the cap hit up to $3.775 mil) for the minimum term with a clause that he can return to Europe if he doesn't make the team. It's the best deal he is going to get from any team. If he ends up earning those bonuses than great. The Habs have a legit NHLer, if not, he's an inexpensive rookie or tucked away in Europe. His NHL rights will belong to the Habs until he's 27. If he improves and/or matures he could be useful down the road or as trade bait.

What kind of message does that send to the other prospects? Don't show up to rookie camp and get a better contract than Galchenyuk's first deal? That's a slap in the face to every other player in the organization.

There are perceptions out there that hurt Reway's value. First, he's small (which is more of a fact than a perception). It's out there that he clashes with just about every coach he's ever had. It's out there that he was a shocking cut from Slovakia's World Championships team - the rumour is that he was late and hungover for practices but that's not proven as they only said he had a cold. If I've seen that rumour though, so have other teams. Teams aren't going to be lining up to trade value for a headcase of a player who happens to be super small. If he gets to free agency, that's another story as then they're not giving anything up but his value right now in a trade would be low. Given the seeming indifference the organization seems to have towards him (based on Reway's comments), part of me thinks they'd have dealt him already if he was worth anything of note.