New Line Changes

habs_25th

Rookie Guillaume Latendresse will be back on the No. 1 line when the Canadiens play the Flyers Thursday night in Philadelphia, along with centre Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder.

Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau made the announcement at practice today, while also announcing that forward Mikhail Grabovski is being sent back to Hamilton of the American Hockey League after being held pointless in three games with Montreal, while posting a minus-2.

Meanwhile, rookie Maxim Lapierre will centre the second line against the Flyers between Russians Sergei Samsonov and Alex Kovalev. Tomas Plekanec will centre the third line between Chris Higgins and Mike Johnson.

Garth Murray was taken off the injured list yesterday and is expected to suit up on the fourth line along with Alexander Perezhogin and Mark Streit.

Radek Bonk and Steve Bégin remain on the injured list with neck and back injuries, respectively.

I think I prefer Higgins on the 2nd line. More ice time and more punch with two fancy playmakers. I do like how Carbo juggles his lines and in this case, is creating 4 balanced lines that can score.

Edited by habs_25th

The reason they put Lapierre was to give a bit more toughness to the line, the second line have small players that keep on getting pushed around and never lay a hit... Lapierre might get the tempo up a bit.

Well Nesquick you are partially right but Kovalev is one of the biggest players on the team

The reason why this combo may find success is because Lapierre will drive the net which is exactly what the two Russians need to create space.

Well Nesquick you are partially right but Kovalev is one of the biggest players on the team

The reason why this combo may find success is because Lapierre will drive the net which is exactly what the two Russians need to create space.

And hopefully he'll be the benefactor of a few tip-in chances and the odd rebound.

I don't think anyone should freak out about Higgins on the 3rd line. One thing I've learned about Carbonneau is that he rarely keeps new lines such as this one for the entire game. Dont be surprised if Higs ends back up on the first line before the game ends.

Line one rocks. KILLER . Works for me

MAXIMum AK27 & SS15. I like it. Lapierre is going to steal pucks from the enemy D down low. He can win battles against multiple players and his linemates are Kovalev and Samsonov :D. Might be lethal. I hope.

Christopher Higgins is a leader. Carbo and Muller have him on the 3rd to take a defensive forward role with Johnson and Plekanec while the injured heal up. I'm impressed again (losing count) with Higgins but who should be surprised? He is a great leader. He's willing to take one for the team and play in that role. The other side of the coin is that Higgins can be a one man wrecking crew and playing with Pleks and Johnson has killer offensive potential for sure :clap:

Murray Perezhogin Streit is just like the energizer bunny.

Clever these Canadiens coaches.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Rookie Guillaume Latendresse will be back on the No. 1 line when the Canadiens play the Flyers Thursday night in Philadelphia, along with centre Saku Koivu and Michael Ryder.

Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau made the announcement at practice today, while also announcing that forward Mikhail Grabovski is being sent back to Hamilton of the American Hockey League after being held pointless in three games with Montreal, while posting a minus-2.

Meanwhile, rookie Maxim Lapierre will centre the second line against the Flyers between Russians Sergei Samsonov and Alex Kovalev. Tomas Plekanec will centre the third line between Chris Higgins and Mike Johnson.

Garth Murray was taken off the injured list yesterday and is expected to suit up on the fourth line along with Alexander Perezhogin and Mark Streit.

Radek Bonk and Steve Bégin remain on the injured list with neck and back injuries, respectively.

I think I prefer Higgins on the 2nd line. More ice time and more punch with two fancy playmakers. I do like how Carbo juggles his lines and in this case, is creating 4 balanced lines that can score.

well, actually, that was it for the full game (latendresse and 3rd line part) and that was it for the 4th period (2nd line part)

and... although Lapierre has limited talent, this will be the best 2nd line we've had this season!

why?

cause lapierre has 3 things this line was lacking.

-Lapierre is a righty, easier to get Kovalev's passes (and vice versa)

-Lapierre will drive the net

-Lapierre will go into the corner

The other logical assumption is that Lapierre stunt here on the second line is temporary for the most part until Bonk gets better... and Plek heads back to the second line.... More importantly this is the last measuring stick for Lapierre!

if he completes his task well.... I guarantee he will not stay as a second line centre... the secong line would have to have scored 3 goals and in each game before Bonbk gets back.... No realistically if he helps the team stay in the poistive numbers it means the habs will move Murray and Lapierre stays in MTL.

if his play with the second line is not worthy he will be put back on the 4th and then sent back to Hamilton

Its his trial Bob and Carbo and co will see if the 4 points in 4 games was a fluke or this boy is ready to play with the men!

I like the new grit on our 2nd line. It's the one thing that's been missing from that line all season and who knows, maybe Lapierre will show these guys what it's like to put in 100% every night. Hopefully the Russians catch on to the idea because they need to get going before the playoffs come. You can't just turn on the scoring overnight.

NOt sure why Carbo is so opposed to Higgins on the second line, but I guess they really feel he is not a centre anymore. Plekanec and Higgins played really well together in Hamilton so it'l be interesting to see how they play in Montreal. Too bad for Perezhogin being demoted all the way to the fouth line.

NOt sure why Carbo is so opposed to Higgins on the second line, but I guess they really feel he is not a centre anymore. Plekanec and Higgins played really well together in Hamilton so it'l be interesting to see how they play in Montreal. Too bad for Perezhogin being demoted all the way to the fouth line.

Higgins and Plekanec played together last game and looked great.

Also last year they killed penalties together and were very exciting and put fear in the point men on the opposing teams power play.

As much as i like Lapierre i don't see him centering a second line period.

Especially this second line with Kovy and Fat Turtle.

Against slow defense Flyers i would have prefered Grabovsky on the second line.

And Murray out of town !!

Exactly... I don't know why they went with Plekanec so long and then went back to him after it clearly still wasn't working. Lapierre is a good young kid, but I don't think he's the type of player thats should be playing with Kovalev and Samsonov. Now or ever.

I like these new lines, I think they are a definate step in the right direction, my only concern is Higgins drop in playing time, and would personally like to see Samsonov on the 3rd and Higgins on the 2nd with Kovy and Lapierre. As was mentioned earlier though, I'm sure Carbo won't be staying with these lines for the whole game. We'll see.

I like these new lines, I think they are a definate step in the right direction, my only concern is Higgins drop in playing time, and would personally like to see Samsonov on the 3rd and Higgins on the 2nd with Kovy and Lapierre. As was mentioned earlier though, I'm sure Carbo won't be staying with these lines for the whole game. We'll see.

Sammy on a checking line. (Yikes) I like the line up. The checking line will be defensively responsible yet fast as hell. Look for some explosive offense on the 3rd line.

Also, I agree that having Lappiere on the 2nd could be what they need. Some toughness and defensive responsibilty.

I wish Begin and Bonk would come back. Check the Win Loss column. Is it a coincidence that the team won way more when Begin was healthy?

«Mon style de jeu est assez simple: je suis un gros travaillant qui va chercher la rondelle dans les coins et qui fonce au filet. Je pense qu'ils vont apprécier ça.»

-Maxim Lapierre

«J'ai besoin qu'il aille devant le filet, pas dans les coins. Je vais y aller dans les coins, moi. Ça ne me dérange pas qu'il compte plus de buts que moi, mais je veux quand même jouer.»

-Alex Kovalev

:hlogo: icon12.gif :hlogo:

Meh... They tried a big guy who goes to the net already, and Lats wasn't the miracle solution neither. Hopefully Lapierre can bring a different chemistry, he's got more speed than Lats so that might do the trick, but I won't hold my breath for it. The problem isn't who's playing with Sammy and Kovy, the problem is the decisions Sammy and Kovy make when they've got the puck... high-risk, high-reward decisions... and not enough rewards so far.

lol where did the nickname "fat turtle" come from?

Check the Win Loss column. Is it a coincidence that the team won way more when Begin was healthy?

I am pretty sure our flu bug meltdown had more to do with it than missing those two.

how's lapierre doing on the second line so far? he has quite a task... one that wouldn't be easy for anyone, i bet.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Lapierre's line ended with +- of (-2) Not good Only Kovalev was even because of his goal with the First line

he did skate towards the net that at least brought on one penalty

It made Kovalev go to the net too which was scary to see ( I see him get injured all the time )

Sammy Unchanged for the most part

Results: Another game is need to access if it might