Samsonov benched

markierung

I feel for the guy, I really think he's trying...a goal or two and I'll bet he'd be right back to normal. (Normal being about 25 goals, 60 points in this case).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

What?!

There is something else going on here. That doesn't sound like Rivet.

someone on ckac (french radio) said that he's asked for a trade...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Who the hell does Rivet think he is? If it's true he stayed home instead of reporting to the press box, he should never play another game in a Habs uniform.

He's a veteran no? Put yourself in his situation and let's see how you'd feel, im sure you'd never even want to put on a Habs uniform again.

Well, hold on here.

Obviously Rivet is far better defensively than Janne freaking Ninimaa, but it was a move designed to shake up the entire team not just single out Rivet.

He shouldn't take it personally..

Regarding the bolded:

Really? I'd be more inclined to say that Rivet has been about the worst Habs defender in a long period of time. He may work hard, but he's doing pretty much *nothing* right. I've been extremely disappointed with his play, and I'm a fan. Niinimaa is playing *far* better tonight than Rivet has played since before Christmas.

He's a veteran no? Put yourself in his situation and let's see how you'd feel, im sure you'd never even want to put on a Habs uniform again.

I'm from the school of thought that believes NOBODY should be above being benched/scratched.

the Det game was on OLN and the annoucers there basically said they felt that samsonov is taking Gui's ice time and carbo would be better off having Gui on the 2nd line and having sammy sit. ... I tend to agree because even if Gui doesn't score he provides alot more to the line than sammy does while he's not scoring.

I'm from the school of thought that believes NOBODY should be above being benched/scratched.

If so then let's face facts - Kovalev should have been benched WAAAY before Rivet.

If so then let's face facts - Kovalev should have been benched WAAAY before Rivet.

Kovalev could definitely use a benching...but Rivet has been pretty much useless all damn season...so no, I can't agree with that.

If rivet as really asked for a traded after knowing he'D be benched, then he loses alot of respect from my part. I always like the guy even if he wasn'T the best of players but now, knowing that he plays like hell, he has the face the facts.

a man with a leadership role shouldn't be acting like a prima donna.

come on craig, you know better than that !!

Lets see here

Rivet: -5

Kovalev: -1

Theres no Math needed to be done...

Rivet Stunk against Ottawa and the past few games before that, and rightfully got what he deserved

Samsonov also gets what he deserves, He is not playing up to his salary

Realistically..the person who should be benched here is Bob Gainey for one primary and valid reason

Not Acting and finding quality players like Comrie mid way through the season and sacrificing basically nothing

The entire team played like a bunch of midget caliber players would tonight. I am glad to see them get spanked again....Hello 5th place...soon to be 6th, 7th and 8th if nothing is done...And Before you know it...We're head to head with Toronto

I would be amazed if Gainey is not working out several moves right now - be they trades, call-ups, or whatever. I imagine he thinks bleeding the youth through the season is the way to go. Comrie, in this light, was going to be too big of a character risk, potentially affecting the younger players in a negative way (not saying I agree, but this might have been the rationale). Bob probably thinks that we are good enough for 8th spot. I would severely doubt he thinks we are Cup - or even semi-final - material. This season was for the purging of locker room cancers and bringing in character players to help the smaller departments.

Rivet is gone if he pulled this stunt. All respect for him in the toilet, especially if he 'demanded' a trade and we will get low-balled in any transaction. Samsonov evidently is still loyal to the inbreds (Bruins) and should be waived - untradeable.

But the probs certainly do not end there. Don't be too surprised if Bob slowly pares away salary during the year - Samsonov, Rivet, Kovalev, Bonk, Souray, Aebischer, maybe Ryder - and we go with youth, a few vets like Begin & Johnson, and make a run at a top-line & mid-level FA (Marleau?) while introducing the well-stocked youth movement.

Lets see here

Rivet: -5

Kovalev: -1

Theres no Math needed to be done...

Rivet Stunk against Ottawa and the past few games before that, and rightfully got what he deserved

Samsonov also gets what he deserves, He is not playing up to his salary

Realistically..the person who should be benched here is Bob Gainey for one primary and valid reason

Not Acting and finding quality players like Comrie mid way through the season and sacrificing basically nothing

The entire team played like a bunch of midget caliber players would tonight. I am glad to see them get spanked again....Hello 5th place...soon to be 6th, 7th and 8th if nothing is done...And Before you know it...We're head to head with Toronto

Funny, I started a thread asking whether Gainey had erred in not getting Comrie for the second line, and I was basically flamed out of town :lol: How things change.

I agree that the current slump is disgusting and demoralizing. But attacking Bob for not panicking is silly - as is all the hysterical breast-beating going on in here. They have to work their way out of it, period; although a significant trade would NOT be a surprise at this point.

I would be amazed if Gainey is not working out several moves right now - be they trades, call-ups, or whatever. I imagine he thinks bleeding the youth through the season is the way to go. Comrie, in this light, was going to be too big of a character risk, potentially affecting the younger players in a negative way (not saying I agree, but this might have been the rationale). Bob probably thinks that we are good enough for 8th spot. I would severely doubt he thinks we are Cup - or even semi-final - material. This season was for the purging of locker room cancers and bringing in character players to help the smaller departments.

Rivet is gone if he pulled this stunt. All respect for him in the toilet, especially if he 'demanded' a trade and we will get low-balled in any transaction. Samsonov evidently is still loyal to the inbreds (Bruins) and should be waived - untradeable.

But the probs certainly do not end there. Don't be too surprised if Bob slowly pares away salary during the year - Samsonov, Rivet, Kovalev, Bonk, Souray, Aebischer, maybe Ryder - and we go with youth, a few vets like Begin & Johnson, and make a run at a top-line & mid-level FA (Marleau?) while introducing the well-stocked youth movement.

What you're describing is not 'making a run' but a massive purge and re-entry into a sustained period of rebuilding. I doubt that that's on Gainey's mind. (When are people on this board going to realize that young talent takes years to blossom in most cases, and frequently turns out to be less impressive than it seemed to be in the minors? Sheesh). It's also especially risky given that Montreal has NOT proved to be a very big lure to free agents. If you're Marleau are you going to leave a contender to come to a team that is in ther process of dumping most of their veteran talent? No thanks.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It would have been really nice if we kept Ribeiro, a very adequate 2nd liner, and Zednik, who we traded for a 3rd round pick. If those two guys were on the team, that would have given a lot of offensive depth, despite their obvious streakiness.