Sergei Samsonov

MAK

I hope somebody does grab him. We can get Zhog back on the third line where he thrived earlier in the season.

My ideal lines if Sammy is, indeed, gone:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Bonk-Johnson

Murray-Lapierre-Streit

I REALLY hope this results in Perogie back in the line up, and not on the fourth line either...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is so unlike Gainey.... to react so quickly or rashly.

I mean it was only this morning that Sammy asked for a trade and 3 hours later he is on waivers?

something is not right here...either something bigger was in the works before Samsonov asked to be traded or Gainey is simply fed up with his crap, or both.

But it just seems to me to be a reactionary move instead of a proactive move by Gainey...this is not something that I am used to seeing from him.

I just hope this is part of a larger plan

Actually its not all that uncommon if you think about it. He gave Theodore a huge 3 year $18 Million contract and then got lucky and dumped him for Aebischer. He gave Kovalev $4 million a year and he's overpaid. He way overpaid for Koivu at $4.75 Million per season, although he is the canadiens best player...but come on $4.75 MIllion? Thats ridiculous...and now he way overpaid, after failing to woo Shanahan and Arnott , for Samsonov who they now had to cut because he's shit. The next mistake is right on the horizon with Sheldon Souray who Gainey will probably overpay for at more than $5 Million per season or let walk away for nothing in UFA..... So far Gainey's only good move was Bonk and Huet for Garon.......

So you should kinda be used to seeing it from Gainey...its happened quite often

Aucoin is only half a million more than Samsonov though.

IMO, this is very bad news.

this guy would replace a souray on PP. as long as he stays healthy.

having an healthy aucoin in the lineup would allow us to make a move involving souray for a young stud or a good draft choice.

Actually its not all that uncommon if you think about it. He gave Theodore a huge 3 year $18 Million contract and then got lucky and dumped him for Aebischer. He gave Kovalev $4 million a year and he's overpaid. He way overpaid for Koivu at $4.75 Million per season, although he is the canadiens best player...but come on $4.75 MIllion? Thats ridiculous...and now he way overpaid, after failing to woo Shanahan and Arnott , for Samsonov who they now had to cut because he's shit. The next mistake is right on the horizon with Sheldon Souray who Gainey will probably overpay for at more than $5 Million per season or let walk away for nothing in UFA..... So far Gainey's only good move was Bonk and Huet for Garon.......

So you should kinda be used to seeing it from Gainey...its happened quite often

Free agent's are supposed to be overpaid. It's an auction, you have to be very lucky to get someone at his true worth. Had Gainey not given guys like Theodore, Koivu and Kovalev big contracts, they would have easily gotten it elsewhere. And what's worse, having our best players overpaid or having no core at all? I think he did what he had to do (though Koivu was definitely a bit over the top, imo).

by the way, does that mean that you didn't like the dumping of Ribeiro? Or the Johnson and Zednik trades? Getting rid of Dagenais? The Theodore/Aebischer swap (an amazing move, when you think about it)? I think those were very good trades.

For what it's worth, Eklund is saying Sammy was put on waivers at the request of an unknown team who will pick him up on re-entry... so we'd still be on the hook for half his salary.

Sounds plausible, even though it's Eklund.

Shows how much of a moron Eklund is....there are no recall waivers any more. A player can only be claimed on the way down to the minors, not on the way back up

For what it's worth, Eklund is saying Sammy was put on waivers at the request of an unknown team who will pick him up on re-entry... so we'd still be on the hook for half his salary.

Sounds plausible, even though it's Eklund.

wow, this just keeps getting worse :puke:

Shows how much of a moron Eklund is....there are no recall waivers any more. A player can only be claimed on the way down to the minors, not on the way back up

that's what I thought, but see Fanpuck's post above . . . . . :?-

Mmmm, interesting.....

They definitely made it seem like they got rid of it, but they are definitely not gone. When the Oilers claimed Nedved, it was on the re-entry waivers that they did it.

With the new limit, a guy like Hainsey wouldn't have needed re-entry waivers, since he had a two-way that paid him under 95,000 in the AHL. But a veteran like Samsonov or Nedved, who clearly don't belong in the AHL, have to pass both ways. A good comprimise if you ask me.

About the Samsonov-Rivet for Smolinski-Aucoin rumor

I'd gladly do it. Smolinski spent enough years in Ottawa in a system close to the Habs' to know to fit in. He can also play all 3 forward positions, so he adds some versatility

Aucoin would be an upgrade over Rivet. I know Aucoin slowed down over the years, but he would stabilize the right side and be a much better fit on the PP than Rivet. The only thing that worries me about Aucoin is his recuring groin injuries.

that's wrong. if he clears waivers, they can send him down to the farm and his salary will not hit the cap. if they try to bring him back to the club, he must reclear waivers - at that point, anyone can grab him and we would be on the hook for half his salary (for remainder of his contract). that 1/2 salary also hits our cap.

frankly, we'd better hope someone picks him up soon. (not sure how long waiver period is, 24? 48 hours?)

Player can be claimed off re-entry waivers, see Sean Burke.

Lots of great posts and speculation in this thread. I see this as a screw you move by Gainey. It could be that he hopes nobody picks him up and sammy refuses to go to Hamilton thus earning an indefinite suspension without pay.

Although the possibility of Gainey freeing up cap space for a major move is very intriguing.

Losing Sammy is not that big a deal, in looking at his stats, he was never a powerhouse on offense. He scored 29 goals twice. He has scored 176 in 585 games. I think he is overpaid, at about 2 mill he would be a good player to have. It appears to me that he was a problem in the room or Bob would not have dumped him so quickly and for nothing. I think Bob realizes now that signing him for 3.5 was a mistake and is correcting it. When Boston traded him (where he had his good years being fed by Thornton) they got 1 mediocre player 1 minor leaguer and a dubious prospect. Not what you would expect for a 2nd overall draft pick. Lets move on and get some talent that spark this club up. Its easy to complain making a real difference is what is valuable. Bob has never been a loser and he never will be.

Careful who you call a moron (although he is. :) ).....

A player can indeed be claimed on the way up and the half contract rule still applies....

Losing Sammy is not that big a deal, in looking at his stats, he was never a powerhouse on offense. He scored 29 goals twice. He has scored 176 in 585 games. I think he is overpaid, at about 2 mill he would be a good player to have. It appears to me that he was a problem in the room or Bob would not have dumped him so quickly and for nothing. I think Bob realizes now that signing him for 3.5 was a mistake and is correcting it. When Boston traded him (where he had his good years being fed by Thornton) they got 1 mediocre player 1 minor leaguer and a dubious prospect. Not what you would expect for a 2nd overall draft pick. Lets move on and get some talent that spark this club up. Its easy to complain making a real difference is what is valuable. Bob has never been a loser and he never will be.

i also think he was brought in for a reason, to work some magic with kovalev. that clearly is never going to happen. failed experiment. time to move on.

i also think he was brought in for a reason, to work some magic with kovalev. that clearly is never going to happen. failed experiment. time to move on.

Definitley a failed experiment, but why? Is it that Samsonov is not as good a player as Gainey et all., thought? Because him and Kovalev don't work well together? Or because Montreal never had that centre, or atleast Koivu wasn't used between them, that could play with them? Most likely its that Montreal never had that centre and are still lacking it now. Dumping Samsonov does not make this team better in any way shape or form. So is it to clear salary for a possible trade? That would be the only way this club is going to get better through waiving Samsonov....making cap space

1. He's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer so his assists are probably more important than his goals

2. Thornton was also a playmaker - 2 playmakers on one line can be redundant sometimes

3. Boston got such a low return for Samsonov because he was going to become an UFA after the season (and were going to miss the playoffs).

4. Samsonov was an 8th overall pick, not 2nd. Thornton was 1st overall in the same draft.

Definitley a failed experiment, but why? Is it that Samsonov is not as good a player as Gainey et all., thought? Because him and Kovalev don't work well together? Or because Montreal never had that centre, or atleast Koivu wasn't used between them, that could play with them? Most likely its that Montreal never had that centre and are still lacking it now. Dumping Samsonov does not make this team better in any way shape or form. So is it to clear salary for a possible trade? That would be the only way this club is going to get better through waiving Samsonov....making cap space

its addition by subtraction. under the cap, we simply can't afford to wait for high priced talent to suddenly materialize. this guy was turning it around (a bit), but once it became clear that he was not going to spark kovy, his salary was simply not justified. also, he's been a pain in the ass and i suspect not loved in the room. his agent said trade him, so gainey pulled the trigger on waivers. if he is taken off of waivers, gainey could simply sit around for a couple of weeks and not do anything (with extra money to spend when a deal materializes).

just some "support" for my $6.5M contract theory:

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3664

McCabbe signed for $7.1M w/ the Leafs after having a similar season. It won't be 7M for Souray... No team is as foolish as the Leafs... however, it'll be close to that for sure.

McCabe's cap hit is 5.75M. It's a front-loaded deal so he makes 7.1 this year, and less than 5.75 in later years. Still way too much for the guy, but not 7.1

its addition by subtraction. under the cap, we simply can't afford to wait for high priced talent to suddenly materialize. this guy was turning it around (a bit), but once it became clear that he was not going to spark kovy, his salary was simply not justified. also, he's been a pain in the ass and i suspect not loved in the room. his agent said trade him, so gainey pulled the trigger on waivers. if he is taken off of waivers, gainey could simply sit around for a couple of weeks and not do anything (with extra money to spend when a deal materializes).

Amen

I calculate that we now have roughly 4.5 mil (if Samsonov gets plucked off waviers)

Edited by Davehab

that's wrong. if he clears waivers, they can send him down to the farm and his salary will not hit the cap. if they try to bring him back to the club, he must reclear waivers - at that point, anyone can grab him and we would be on the hook for half his salary (for remainder of his contract). that 1/2 salary also hits our cap.

frankly, we'd better hope someone picks him up soon. (not sure how long waiver period is, 24? 48 hours?)

I hope nobody picks him off waivers. If he clears we're stuck with paying him, but none of it counts against the cap. If he gets taken we're still paying 1.75 next year for a non-player. I'd rather eat the cash hit and avoid the cap hit.

I was sorta hoping we could trade him, though. This is pretty agressive by Bob, and to me clearly indicates he's planning to make a move before the deadline.

sorry I just realized that I misscalculated.....more like 2-3 mil

Depends whether he gets claimed now or on re-rentry waivers...