The Emery incident

Mr. Nasty

I felt this topic needed it's own thread.

Surprisingly this incident is not getting a lot of attention and I will be disgusted if a suspension is not handed down. Goaltenders (or any player) must not be permitted to deliberately slash a player in the face. Emery claims he didn't mean to hit him in the face but this image tells me he knew exactly what he was aiming for.

RYR10402110312.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tired of referees penalizing the result and not the action. If Lapierre is not wearing a shield and he takes that in his face for 25 stitches do you really think the referee gives Emery 2 minutes?

It is disgraceful. I have seen 2-3 players do what Bertuzzi did and the player they hit does not fall and they get 2 minutes. Would McSorley have been banned for a season if Brashear did not get knocked out? Or would he have gotten 5 and a game? I am not condoning what either player did, but with a little luck, we are not discussing McSorley or Bertuzzi everytime we see a vicious attack.

I mean Perezhogin gets a year for smoking that guy with a high stick, but the only reason he swung at the guys head was because the guy took a baseball swing at Zhog's head first and missed. That guy got what? 5 games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyGj9g2Y9nE

Emery tried to take off his head and the visor saved him from being the first story on every Sports broadcast in this country. The guy should get a minimum 10 games, I bet he gets 1 or 2 at most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_k4nIkW2Ck

Edited by Wamsley01

don't hold your breath, guys...

did the canadiens even bring this incident up before the disciplinary committee?

GO :hlogo: GO!

This topic is beingly debated over at HFboards.com

Almost every Sens fan on there is trying to stick up for Emery, but I just don't see how you can find a reason to stick up for him when you see the replay of that.

Check the replays, Lapierre stumbled over a Sens D-man and softly collided into Emery. Sure, Lapierre could expect a punch, maybe a nice slash to the leg or something, but he should never expect a heavy goalie stick decking him in the visor. If he wasn't wearing a visor, this topic would've been huge as Wamsley01 said because there wouldve probably been blood shed. I hope Emery gets at LEAST 2 games, but knowing the NHL it will probably be a one game suspension.

Almost every Sens fan on there is trying to stick up for Emery, but I just don't see how you can find a reason to stick up for him when you see the replay of that.

Check the replays, Lapierre stumbled over a Sens D-man and softly collided into Emery. Sure, Lapierre could expect a punch, maybe a nice slash to the leg or something, but he should never expect a heavy goalie stick decking him in the visor. If he wasn't wearing a visor, this topic would've been huge as Wamsley01 said because there wouldve probably been blood shed. I hope Emery gets at LEAST 2 games, but knowing the NHL it will probably be a one game suspension.

The thing that should get him a large suspension is his intent. Look at his face, he is looking at Lapierre and is doing exactly what he wants to. He tried to take his head off! If Emery's name was Ron Hextall do you think that he gets away with that? You think the 2 hander Hextall took at Nilsson on the back of his legs....THE BACK OF HIS LEGS was anywhere as dangerous as that??? Hextall got 8 games. If that was Sydney Crosby and not Maxim Lapierre is that a 2 minute penalty?? Souray got 7 MINUTES for a fight in which both players removed their gloves. It is a joke if he does not get 5-10 games.

The NHL is so inconsistent with their suspensions that their is not a precedent for anything because every suspension contradicts the next.

Edited by Wamsley01

again, don't hold your breath... it's very possible that the nhl will see that as justified goalie charged reaction on his part and leave it at the status quo.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I am not holding my breath. I know he is getting nothing. That is Bettman's NHL.

I just read some Sens post on the matter. Some of the most ignorant posts I have read in a long time.

i guess perezhogin was alright when he chopped stafford...as he was just protecting himself right? stafford did take a swing at perezhogin initially.

i wonder what happens when emery tries the same on perezhogin except this time, he ducks and baseball swings him back in the head. i guess it would be alright because he was 'just sticking up for himself'

Looked like the montreal dude slashed Emerys arm first then he got mad and slashed back

Lapierre jumps at him intentionally, and Emery slaps him in the visor. People are blowing this way out of proportion; it was all visor.

I like it.

The game needs more players like Emery who stick up for themselves. I don't think Emery deserves a suspension at all.

Edited by Wamsley01

I am tired of referees penalizing the result and not the action.

You've got to penalize both in my opinion to get the dirty play out of the game. Setup a strict and specific suspensions based on the acts themselves. In addition, if the guy you injure is out longer than your suspension, then you're out as long as he is. If you do something bad enough to end a career, then yours ought to be over as well.

You've got to penalize both in my opinion to get the dirty play out of the game. Setup a strict and specific suspensions based on the acts themselves. In addition, if the guy you injure is out longer than your suspension, then you're out as long as he is. If you do something bad enough to end a career, then yours ought to be over as well.

The only problem with that is if the Leafs and Habs are battling for a playoff spot with 20 games to go and Kovalev loses his temper and hurts Chad Kilger and gets 10 games, what is stopping the Leafs from reporting Kilger as injured for the final 20 games so that the Habs have no access to Kovalev in a tight race?

The only problem with that is if the Leafs and Habs are battling for a playoff spot with 20 games to go and Kovalev loses his temper and hurts Chad Kilger and gets 10 games, what is stopping the Leafs from reporting Kilger as injured for the final 20 games so that the Habs have no access to Kovalev in a tight race?

Easy, independently hired doctors.

Easy, independently hired doctors.

You are giving way to much credit to the NHL. The league that was supposed to restrict goalie equipment and the league that took 7 years to enforce their zero tolerance on hooking penalties.

Lapierre jumps at him intentionally, and Emery slaps him in the visor. People are blowing this way out of proportion; it was all visor.

I like it.

The game needs more players like Emery who stick up for themselves. I don't think Emery deserves a suspension at all.[/b]

Wow, this guy is a ######. Every Habs fan stated the seriousness of the Perez slash, and said that it was unacceptable. This ###### should be locked up so he doesn't hurt anyone.

Its still amazing how quiet this is!!! Its now 24 hrs and still none of the major networks or Newspapers has any info about it and the NHL has not made an announcement. Has anyone heard if the Habs have sent the tape to league office? This is rapidly becoming a joke.

I can only imagine the attention it would have got if it had been Crosby instead of Lapierre?

Edited by kaos

Its still amazing how quiet this is!!! Its now 24 hrs and still none of the major networks or Newspapers has any info about it and the NHL has not made an announcement. Has anyone heard if the Habs have sent the tape to league office? This is rapidly becoming a joke.

I can only imagine the attention it would have got if it had been Crosby instead of Lapierre?

From what I understand, the league will have received the tape today and will review it before Ottawa plays again. I wouldn't hold your breath, though, as deliberate as it looked and as horrifying as it would have been if Lap hadn't had a visor, Emery is vital to the Sens and the Eastern playoff race - and that is more important to the league than the health of a 4th line grinder.

Cynical, eh?

My prediction is he'll get 4 games. I would give him something like 10 though, and Emery would still be able to consider himself fortunate to get only that.

Well my guess will be the 1000$ fine. I kind of wish he missed the visor and got him in the mouth knocked 4 or 5 teeth out and forced Lapierre to have 10-12 stitches. But because there was no injury I doubt there would be a suspension.

The refs should also be penalized for their actions or lack there of as well missing a call like that SEVERLY alters a game.

The best thing would be if the next Habs Sens game the Habs start with a 5 minute power play and Emery is in the press box with Gerber starting. (NOW I’M DREAMING)

Well my guess will be the 1000$ fine. I kind of wish he missed the visor and got him in the mouth knocked 4 or 5 teeth out and forced Lapierre to have 10-12 stitches. But because there was no injury I doubt there would be a suspension.

The refs should also be penalized for their actions or lack there of as well missing a call like that SEVERLY alters a game.

The best thing would be if the next Habs Sens game the Habs start with a 5 minute power play and Emery is in the press box with Gerber starting. (NOW I’M DREAMING)

I dont think him not taking any real damage should be an issue. Those goalie sticks have alot more potential to do damage than a regualr stick. If he was wearing no visor there is no telling how extensive the damage could have been. The blow could have partially or fully bllinded him end his carrier. Mimnimum of a suspensiuon is deserved. Goalie's can't be allowed to defend themsevles in that manner. A slash on the leg is a 2 minute penalty. But a high stick to the face with a goalie stck?

If the league won't deal with it, then Lapierre should deal with it himself the next time the Habs play the Sens.

Going to the net hard...OOPS....tripped. Gee, did my forearm end up smashing Emery right in the face? C'est dommage...I was just trying to brace for impact. Total accident, just like when his stick hit my face, eh?

If the league won't deal with it, then Lapierre should deal with it himself the next time the Habs play the Sens.

Going to the net hard...OOPS....tripped. Gee, did my forearm end up smashing Emery right in the face? C'est dommage...I was just trying to brace for impact. Total accident, just like when his stick hit my face, eh?

:unsure: but now that you've posted the plan everyone will know the smashing was intentional . . .

I dont think him not taking any real damage should be an issue. Those goalie sticks have alot more potential to do damage than a regualr stick. If he was wearing no visor there is no telling how extensive the damage could have been. The blow could have partially or fully bllinded him end his carrier. Mimnimum of a suspensiuon is deserved. Goalie's can't be allowed to defend themsevles in that manner. A slash on the leg is a 2 minute penalty. But a high stick to the face with a goalie stck?

It shouldn't be, but sadly it is. The league only penalizes / punishes when there's an injury, even though the potential for injury is always there when the player takes a swing.