Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs. Thrashers d'Atlanta | 03/08/07

Spider-Man NL

Unfortunately the Habs are stuck wit kovalev and his outragous salary for 2 more years.

They should just play him 1 out 5 games since that is all he shows up for. Putr Kosty in his spot for 4 games.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the Habs are stuck wit kovalev and his outragous salary for 2 more years.

They should just play him 1 out 5 games since that is all he shows up for. Putr Kosty in his spot for 4 games.

Let's remember that Kovalev was a beast for us last season, a real offensive key and even, perhaps, a bit of a leader. The contrast between this season and last is incredible. Since we're stuck with him, I think Gainey and Carbonneau need to sit down with him and have an honest conversation about how he feels he can return to that form. And also, let's bear in mind the possibility that he's been injured (first to the knee, then to the elbow) all season. I'm not making excuses for him, but again - we're stuck with him, so instead of attacking him further, the organization should try to start fresh with him.

Much as I disagree with some of your ideas, I think you're right about this, in general. Koivu and Souray are the only obvious 'mentors' on this team. But I can't think of a young gun I'd trade to bring in, say, Trevor Linden. I understand the reasoning behind the Ninimaa trade, but future deals of that sort should indeed consider the leadership dimensions, and I'd try to make sure that any UFA signing had a certin leadership profile, I guess...

There's also the scenario of the 'young team on which everybody develops at the same time,' which was jersey's ORIGINAL model and can also work.

Koivu is definitely a mentor. Just cuz he is a minus, doesnt negate that. The minus doesnt come from his poor defensive play, but that of the team around him. If he cannot be a mentor through his talent and skill, he definitely can through hard work, desire and perseverance.

I can almost hear the "what has he done lately" lines being typed. But let's be serious...the greatest leader in the league could not save this sinking ship ON HIS OWN...

As for Souray, I would not want him to mentor the youth defensively, noe do I think he would try. But I would love to see our young D-man play with the conviction and character he displays....minus the errors.

ps..Just a note to all the Koivu bashers who think he should be single-handedly saving this team, and are now calling for him to be traded...When he is an integral part of cup-winning habs team....NONE of you better have the gall to cheer for him or claim to be happy for him. He is the face of our franchise and we could do much worse. You either believe in him or you don't..

Well, I have tickets to Habs/Leafs game on the 17th of march in montreal....and tickets to Habs/sabres on the 31st in Montreal...

I think I could be in for a show the way they are playing :(

Let's remember that Kovalev was a beast for us last season, a real offensive key and even, perhaps, a bit of a leader. The contrast between this season and last is incredible. Since we're stuck with him, I think Gainey and Carbonneau need to sit down with him and have an honest conversation about how he feels he can return to that form. And also, let's bear in mind the possibility that he's been injured (first to the knee, then to the elbow) all season. I'm not making excuses for him, but again - we're stuck with him, so instead of attacking him further, the organization should try to start fresh with him.

I think that conversation would go something like this:

BG: Alex, we really need you to put up numbers more in line with what you did the year before last. Any ideas on what it would take for that to happen.

At that point, Kovy would look at Bob like he had two heads, twitch a little as the anger welled up inside him, and then say...

AK: GET ME A PLAYMAKING CENTER THAT CAN BURY SOME SHOTS TOO, YOU IDIOT!!!

BG: Alex, you know we had to get rid of Ribeiro...he was a cancer in the dressing room.

AK: He was a cancer that could at least give me a tape-to-tape pass every once in a while.

Of course, Carbo wouldn't have much to say in this conversation...he'd just sit in the corner with his thumb up his ass, watching as events unfolded while doing nothing. Just like he does behind the bench.

I would just like to say, I told you so to all the haters on here that laughed and chastised me for predicting the Habs would finish out of the playoffs this year....

Are the Habs officially eliminated? :?- I must have missed that.

But realistically, 1 POINT is way too much of a gap to overcome with only 15 GAMES LEFT in the season. Never happened before in this league, what would make anyone think it could happen now? :unsure:

Hey, it's a legitimate question to ask whether this team would be better with Ribs. But then again, Pleks has put up better 2nd half numbers than Ribeiro ever did...so Bob might just have a reply to that explosive imaginary question of Kovy's. :rolleyes:

Are the Habs officially eliminated? :?- I must have missed that.

But realistically, 1 POINT is way too much of a gap to overcome with only 15 GAMES LEFT in the season. Never happened before in this league, what would make anyone think it could happen now? :unsure:

They are still in it. But the lack of spark is the thing killling everybody. No urgency. But all it takes is to rip off a win streak and the CUp talk will be back I am sure. THey have 7 of the next 11 at home. So it is not over yet.

But somebody really needs to step up and play over their head!

CC, if you are going to face facts, the facts are this team is in the bottom 5 in every category accept PP and short handed goals. That speaks alot of the talent or lack there of on this team. Only players in the plus. Again speaks to talent.

So where i think Carbo is still learning, the bottom line is No character + no talent = no playoffs.

Sorry, that was AC.

How was it lesser? it is the same team. Minus Ribiero?

CC, if you are going to face facts, the facts are this team is in the bottom 5 in every category accept PP and short handed goals. That speaks alot of the talent or lack there of on this team. Only players in the plus. Again speaks to talent.

So where i think Carbo is still learning, the bottom line is No character + no talent = no playoffs.

Sorry, that was AC.

That's true. However, I still would prefer Ribeiro over Niinimaa. I hope Gainey really has a productive offseason because this team cannot return next year looking the same. Big shake up is needed in my opinion, keep the youth, get rid of some of the older un producing players, Keep kovalev though

Zed & Bulis vs. Johnson & Sammy. On paper it's better. Also the kids have another year of experience. Pleks is better while it looks like Higgins got a bit of the jinx

Let's not split hairs. Even if we say the teams are even, Bob got more work ethic from the club IMO. Right now the work ethic is undergoing tests by Aliens on a spacecraft or is MIA in some lost war. Or the work ethic is behind the hot water pipes, 3rd washroom along, stall number 4 at the Bell centre

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I think that conversation would go something like this:

BG: Alex, we really need you to put up numbers more in line with what you did the year before last. Any ideas on what it would take for that to happen.

At that point, Kovy would look at Bob like he had two heads, twitch a little as the anger welled up inside him, and then say...

AK: GET ME A PLAYMAKING CENTER THAT CAN BURY SOME SHOTS TOO, YOU IDIOT!!!

BG: Alex, you know we had to get rid of Ribeiro...he was a cancer in the dressing room.

AK: He was a cancer that could at least give me a tape-to-tape pass every once in a while.

Of course, Carbo wouldn't have much to say in this conversation...he'd just sit in the corner with his thumb up his ass, watching as events unfolded while doing nothing. Just like he does behind the bench.

I think it would go like this....

AK: I swear if even one of the other teams players so much as LOOKS at my bad knee I am gonna take off my skate and stab their face.

BG: Alex settle down, here beat this adorable puppy to qwell your anger

AK: I need money, Looks Gains I got 4.5mill and you got your 13 goals, even steven now you want more? It's gonna cost you.

BG: We are awfully close to the cap tho....

AK: I am gonna tell you what I tell the rest of the team before EVERY single game!......"I DON'T CARE!"