Game Thread | New York vs. Montreal | 03/13/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game tonite by Kosty. 3 assists in the 3rd. Looked very dangerous on that line tonite. Hope Carbo continues to give him decent icetime. No way he should be removed from the lineup when Kovy and Bonk are ready to suit up.

Latendresse, Plekanec and Kostitsyn

The Who ? The Kids are alright! :D

Finally. Great to see the kids have good game, and all on the same night. Thats whats needed for Habs to make the playoffs. Somebody has to step up, and if any of the youngsters are the key to the future than there is no time like the present for that to begin. When would now be a good time? ;)

I really hope Carbo keeps the Lats Pleks Koists line together. I've never seen them play as good as they did tonight.

Begin should have been a star of that game, for sure. :P

If DiPietro is out for a while so will be the Islanders. They definitely need him to make the playoffs, he's been standing on his head stealing games lately.

I really hope Carbo keeps the Lats Pleks Koists line together. I've never seen them play as good as they did tonight.

PLEKS and Kosty are playing with Higgins on a regular basis. Latendresse takes Higgins' spot on with Plex and Kosty on the power play.

Finally close to a 60 minute effort. Hey where is all the Aebi is god talk today? It's funny when the habs win, no talk about the goalie but when they lose it's all about the goalie. Very strange. Like I said if the other 18 do there part the goalie just has to play solid.

Great penalty control which is nice to see.

The youth looked great last night. Ryder, Ninimaa, Gorges even though he didn't play alot looked solid.

Actually some forechecking and hitting last night, not alot but for these lazy players it was a solid physical effort. They actually even cycled the puck several times and got some scoring chances, i had to make sure i was watching the right game.

Moved closer to a playoff spot, although I am not to happy about that, i still don't think they'll make it but they are losing spots in the draft.

Bad News:

The D zone coverage was brutal, i have never seen 5 man units just stand around and look at the puck. Is that a system?

The d zone turnovers again a huge problem. How Souray logs all that ice team is beyound me, he was acceptional bad last night.

Like I have stated all year, the core (vets) are pretty much worthless. The Habs play a beter game when these guys are out.

After watching the game last night that just reinforces what i have been saying for a couple of years:

1. The core is totally over rated for there talent and leadership.

2. They make no difference in the outcome of most games.

3. They have made themselves irrelavant by there lack of work ethic, slow speed, D zone is probably the leagues worst as a group, lack of size.

So, Let the kids play, it's a much better product.

Finally close to a 60 minute effort. Hey where is all the Aebi is god talk today? It's funny when the habs win, no talk about the goalie but when they lose it's all about the goalie. Very strange. Like I said if the other 18 do there part the goalie just has to play solid.

agreed. as long as people are patient, because if all the kids play often and regularly, they'll try really hard, but they'll also make lots of mistakes and we'll probably be on the bubble or not make the playoffs next year (which is of course no different than what we're doing right now, but still, people seem to feel better just having the name "Kovalev" in the line up, even if he's doing very little.)

The youth looked great last night. Ryder, Ninimaa, Gorges even though he didn't play alot looked solid.

You raise a good point. Last night Janne looked to be in his old form. His outlet passes were superb. That IMO was his best game for Montreal ever.

Janne was good at the begining of the year (first 3 or 4 games) before Dandenault was injured against the Sens they were playing very well together. After that Niinimaa had to switch to playing his wrong side and struggled since then he has never been given another good chance to play a few games in a row. He is a very good skater and makes some excellent passes also he is not affraid to be physical. I hope he plays the next 5 or 6 games because he is much better than Bouillon.

Janne was good at the begining of the year (first 3 or 4 games) before Dandenault was injured against the Sens they were playing very well together. After that Niinimaa had to switch to playing his wrong side and struggled since then he has never been given another good chance to play a few games in a row. He is a very good skater and makes some excellent passes also he is not affraid to be physical. I hope he plays the next 5 or 6 games because he is much better than Bouillon.

Niinimaa FTW! B)

Yes, i agree. Ninimaa and Gorges although he hasn't played much bring to the table what the Habs normal 6 D don't have, they pass the puck well, skate better are quite honestly smarter (in a hockey sense) then the others. I would keep those 2 in.

PLEKS and Kosty are playing with Higgins on a regular basis. Latendresse takes Higgins' spot on with Plex and Kosty on the power play.

yup, and no offense to Lats, that line is way more effective with Higgins...

Actually, we could have two lines that matches for the first time in a while...

What I mean is that Ribs and Kovalev didn't match, both are puck hogs, same with Sammy... While almost everyone / everything is matching with koivu, he plays the cycling as well as he plays the positional or the crash and bang style... just tell him which one you wanna play :P

-Koivu's line is the most complete-theorical-by-the-book-perfect-line we've had in a decade :

A playmaker, a sniper and a power forward. If they stick together, I smell some success for them. They can find each other very well on the ice.

-Plekanec's line, while they are all similar type, they are ALL complete... When you say "I'd like to have my team full of this guy"... well it applies to them. They all backcheck, they all play with intensity they all have a good shot (advantage to Higgins for now), they all have good hockey sense, they all have good passing skills (advantage to Kost )... And their speed is more suitable for a "banging" cycling line... and there is no disturbing element there... none of them is trying to make the individual play that will break the cycling (Sammy-Kovalev)... none of them is unwilling to take a hit (Ribeiro) to continue the cycling... etc.

Great penalty control which is nice to see.

Actually some forechecking and hitting last night, not alot but for these lazy players it was a solid physical effort. They actually even cycled the puck several times and got some scoring chances, i had to make sure i was watching the right game.

Moved closer to a playoff spot, although I am not to happy about that, i still don't think they'll make it but they are losing spots in the draft.

Bad News:

The D zone coverage was brutal, i have never seen 5 man units just stand around and look at the puck. Is that a system?

The d zone turnovers again a huge problem. How Souray logs all that ice team is beyound me, he was acceptional bad last night.

Like I have stated all year, the core (vets) are pretty much worthless. The Habs play a beter game when these guys are out.

After watching the game last night that just reinforces what i have been saying for a couple of years:

1. The core is totally over rated for there talent and leadership.

2. They make no difference in the outcome of most games.

3. They have made themselves irrelavant by there lack of work ethic, slow speed, D zone is probably the leagues worst as a group, lack of size.

Markov was wearing his A+ game too... Some nifty plays... he also undressed Dunham at one time...

You raise a good point. Last night Janne looked to be in his old form. His outlet passes were superb. That IMO was his best game for Montreal ever.

I'd have to agree... but man, the guy's gotta learn to shot... His peashots are comparable only to Mikey's... he is in a good position to make a great shot, can even has a scoring chance and!!! poof here goes the puck...

"is it on slow motion?"

"no it's niinimaa, he just unloaded one of his peas."

Alexstreem, what do you mean better with Higgins? Do you mean the combined minus 50 they were? Worst amoungst any top line. Or do you mean they could only score with the man advantage? 5 on 5 that trio was awfull.

Alexstreem, what do you mean better with Higgins? Do you mean the combined minus 50 they were? Worst amoungst any top line. Or do you mean they could only score with the man advantage? 5 on 5 that trio was awfull.

Read the quoted post, before assuming too much. When we quote something, we usually reply to that quote or continue the idea contained in that quoted post. I wasn't talking about the Higgins Koivu Ryder line at all...

I'm talking about that new 2nd line. Higgins Plekanec and Kost ... which is more effective than the Latendresse Plek and Kost line we saw during and shortly after PPs. That's not necessarily because of Lats... but Higgins blends way better with Kost and Pleks, that's obvious.

Well I don't think Aebisher was a god last night. He didn't let in his usual weak goal but I also didn't see him make any particularly outstanding saves. We out shot the Islanders 40-27 including only giving up 6 shots in the third period. We were lucky that after we tied it 3-3 the Islanders only hit the post instead of scoring.

for those who didn't see the game, there were, lets say, a couple of very,very lovely ladies with huge *cough*egos in the stands.

judging from thispicture, I'm not the only one who enjoyed It :D

Edited by marky_and_komi

for those who didn't see the game, there were, lets say, a couple of very,very lovely ladies with huge *cough*egos in the stands.

judging from thispicture, I'm not the only one who enjoyed It :D

I noticed that as well after the Ryder goal and a few other times they showed some impressive young talent!

this was a super heart-felt, hard-hearted, super comeback win...

the kids did well... may it be the beginning of a 'new' and bright horizon

GO :hlogo: GO!