MacLearn's in Ottawa

Habsfan24

There is a pool hall with lots of big tvs in Ottawa known as MacLaren's, if you are a Habs fan I advise you to never go there. I have gone a few times in the past and have had a pretty good time, they have the Habs games on and the servers are pretty friendly. Until last night. First of all I would not have gone out but I had a friend coming up from Kingston and he was staying downtown so I thoguth MacLaren's would be a good place to watch the game. WRONG.

I went to meet up with some friends and watch the Habs Caps game at this place around 6:30 so we could get a tv and a place to sit to watch the game. We watched the first period having a good time, got some beer got some wings. Around the end of the first period these two girls and two guys come in and sit behind us, we were clearly watching the habs game. I had my habs hat one and my friends were all watching the game.

So the waiter goes to their table they say something to him and he comes right in front of our tv and turns on the Leafs game, I sat there in shock wondering what the hell he was doing. I look back at one of the girls sitting behind me and she gives me this rye smile like "yeah thats right Im from Toronto and I get what I want"

So the next time the server came around I asked him if we could put the Habs game back on we had been here for a long time, we actually cared about our game we had spent a lot of money, these other people just barged in after the first period etc etc, and he said he couldnt change it back for some reason. Now this is what really makes me mad is that there are about 100 other tvs in the place that have the Leafs game on and 1 with the habs game on in the far corner of the bar and we couldnt see it. If they had one tv in the place I would understand but with 100 tvs and half of them with the Leafs game on surely you can leave the RDS Habs game on our little tv that we had been watching for the entire first period and avant match.

I kept looking back at the "leafs fans" that wanted so badly to have their game on and they werent even watching just talking amongst each other. I will never go back to that place again Ottawa is the worst sports city in Canada.

I'm sure there are lots of spelling mistakes in this but I was just so worked up I had to get it off my ches

With respect to Habsfan24...al of us should ban this bar.

BTW I would strongly suggest writing the owner a letter. Explaining that you spent money and your dispointing experience was shared with your friends that all agreed they would never eat there again etc. I guarantee the place would compensate you. (you have to specific with the date, time, table etc.) I bet the waiter was friends with the guests and would surely get put in his place by the owner.

Owners want to know if you feel mistreated and do not want any bad stories of service going around, regardless of what team you root for.

We could all be very cruel and call

Maclaren's On Elgin

Address : 301 Elgin, ON

Telephone : 613-236-2766

I have unlimited long distance :D

We could be more cruel and call the police and say the bar is also used as a whore house and that many other illegal activates take place there. ;)

We could be more cruel and call the police and say the bar is also used as a whore house and that many other illegal activates take place there. ;)

:blink::blink:

Alright, guys. Tha ban's off.

Let's go check it out.

I like the way you think :)

I go and watch Canadiens games at the biggest sports bar in all of Toronto, Wegz, sometimes...and let me tell you.. I never have a problem in getting them to put at least one screen on for the Habs. What you experienced my friend, was a cold shoulder. If I were you, I would have gone to the facilities, filled up my pint with a "surprise substance" , and launch it on the TV that the wench changed. And make damn sure to yell 1967 in the pricks face who was so inconsiderate and demanded the channel be changed! In conclusion, don't go back!

Is it that hard to just walk to the tv yourself and put the habsgame back on? At least make a REAL ruckus about it. Complain like crazy and threaten not to pay unless the game is put back on.

Is it that hard to just walk to the tv yourself and put the habsgame back on? At least make a REAL ruckus about it. Complain like crazy and threaten not to pay unless the game is put back on.

I can see ur point.... y not just start a bar fight ;) Habs (fan) vs Leafs (fan) !!

We would win, then the leafs fan would cry like a sundin or a baby tucker ^_^

I've been to MacLaren's before and never had a problem with getting a Habs game on.

I would surmise this to be an incident specific to your particular server and perhaps his wanting to get in the pants of that female Laffer. It happens. Regardless, I would have tried to cause some disturbance. Spilling beer over the pool tables and walking out without tipping would have been a good start.

Edited by zumpano21

Sorry guys, but this is a total non-issue...

There WAS ONE TV on the habs at the other end of the bar he said... 1 is more than zero.

Go with a Leafs jersey in La Cage aux Sports and ask for ONE TV (even if it's the toilet's one) to be turned to the Leafs game DURING a Habs game...

If you try this, I hope for you that you can run away fast enough... Seriously, there is no possible way to watch anything else than a Habs game at La Cage aux Sports when habs are playing... No possible way... Unless you're the manager of this restaurent :P

Everyone is king in his kingdom. Habs are King in Qc, Leafs are King in On

the only thing that surprises me is that no leaf fan was interested in scoreboard watching... I mean we are in a playoff race.

Re: Alexstream

Agreed pretty much, I don't even bother to go to the bar to see a habs game around here when the hoosiers are playing. Certainly not if it is a weekend game.

Edited by simonus

Why didn't you just ask to speak to the manager and politely tell them that you came in to eat, drink and specifically watch the game and were seated so you could watch it?

If the person you are dealing with doesn't give you the service you require then go one step higher in their food chain. If that doesn't help then you can either leave pissed off and yelling loudly and never give them your business again, or again you can try and go yet another step higher in their food chain.

Isn't that legal in Canada?

No. That's operating a "bawdy house" - illegal. Does that change your mind about coming here? :P

There is a uniqueness to Canadian law on the subject - prostitution is legal, but communicating for the purposes of prostitution is illegal. (Otherwise known as the "I'm not paying you to TALK!" law).