Official UFA Signing Thread

Mr. Nasty

Wow. I would take Stuart at 3.5 over Hamrlik at 5.5 any day.

What happened to all the arguments you had in favour of Hamrlik earlier?

I agree of course.

Real good signing by Dean Lombardi, good for him. As for Stuart, he'll probably do much better next UFA year. Sort of interesting that all he wanted was a one year deal.

LA has made by far the best signings so far in my opinion - Nagy for 3.95M, Handzus for 4M, Stuart for 3.5M all very good moves at very fair prices.

Edited by smon

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Oilers are whining for no good reason. They didn't have a contract signed by the player in hand...period. If they made assumptions and stopped negotiating with the other players they were pursuing prematurely, that's their own damn fault. Remember that old song by Richard Marx?

Cause it don't mean nothing

The words that they say

No it don't mean nothing

These games that people play

No it don't mean nothing

No victim no crime

No it don't mean nothing

Till you sign it on the dotted line

As for Stuart, he'll probably do much better next UFA year. Sort of interesting that all he wanted was a one year deal.

I think what you said right there is exactly why he only signed one year: he'll do better next year. He had a lousy season last year and his value is lower than it should be. He obviously feels he can put up good enough numbers this year that he'll be up over 5 million next summer and really cash it in.

I'm guessing he only wanted one year offers unless someone was gonna offer him a contract based on his 05/06 value. Gainey didn't want to spend that much money on him and likely didn't want to sign him as a one year rental. Though I'd have loved to get him for that price, I can certainly understand why we didn't do much sniffing on this front.

What happened to all the arguments you had in favour of Hamrlik earlier?

I agree of course.

Real good signing by Dean Lombardi, good for him. As for Stuart, he'll probably do much better next UFA year. Sort of interesting that all he wanted was a one year deal.

LA has made by far the best signings so far in my opinion - Nagy for 3.95M, Handzus for 4M, Stuart for 3.5M all very good moves at very fair prices.

I never retracted any of my arguments - Hamrlik was a good and compulsory signing and at market price. But Stuart for 2 million dollars less would have been better since ie touwld have left room open to go for a guy like Shanahan or for a better centre than Smolinski. But for all we know, Bob called Stuart's agent but he doesn't want to play here (a very likely scenario).

Rumour:

To Canucks:

Patrik Elias

Erik Rasmussen or a defensemen

To Devils:

Brendan Morrison

Mattias Ohlund

1st Round Pick

Sorry, this is not a UFA move but a rumoured trade. Sorry, wrong thread :(

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Rumour:

To Canucks:

Patrik Elias

To Devils:

Brendan Morrison

Mattias Ohlund

1st Round Pick

This has been rumoured for a while now. I could seriously see something like this going down if the NTC's are waived but who knows yet. It won't be Rasmussen though..... more likely a dman.

:popcorn:

So Tom Kostopoulos has signed with the Habs. I like it. Tom seems to be a great guy but limited talent but plays with heart. Can't have enough of them.

He makes the Habs somewhat more physical and used the right way he will be an asset.

The Oilers are whining for no good reason. They didn't have a contract signed by the player in hand...period. If they made assumptions and stopped negotiating with the other players they were pursuing prematurely, that's their own damn fault. Remember that old song by Richard Marx?

Cheesy song lyrics aside...you are wrong. A deal is a deal...verbal or written...and it sounds from a previous post like it was a written agreement.

If the players agent agrees in principle, either verbally or in writing, the deal is done. Legally.

If it's agreed to in writing it's about as binding an agreement as you can have...whether it's faxed to the league or not.

If it's agreed to verbally then it's still a legal contract...it's just harder to prove unless there were witnesses or recordings.

IF the Oilers can prove(and allegedly it was agreed in writing) that Nylander, and/or his agent, agreed to a deal then the NHL better get it sorted out...THAT is a legal battle that Nylander would lose...and it would smear the NHL in the process.

There was an article in a Swedish newspaper with Nylander describing his actions. There is one big stink of a mess here and the Oilers have a right to be ticked off. McPhee might even be in hot water which means compensation might be warranted. I'm trying to find the article and translation now. Nylander has fired 6 agents in his career already. He did screw the Oilers.

I read this today. Anyone else in the forum know where it is?

Little help? :)

if they dont have an agreement in writing, then I imagine the Statute of Frauds would apply.

The Statute of Frauds is used in Alberta...I would assume that would be Nylander's defence and that the Oilers would argue promissory estoppel(sp? I am no lawyer...lol). The Oilers would argue, and already appear to be arguing within the media, that they lost out on other FA's as a result and Nylander would have reasonably known this. So estoppel would then validate the contract??

If it was already agreed in writing the Nylander is screwed.

Like I said, I'm no lawyer so I'll let someone else comment further...

Zowpeb: for not being a lawyer you have a pretty good grasp of legal concepts (or at least terminology :)).

promissory estoppel would not "validate" the contract. It could be used, however, as a theory under which the Oilers could seek damages. Basically, in this scenario, the contract never existing under the law, but Nylander improperly induced the Oilers to rely on his performance. I guess this is a bit of semantics, but it is a distinction under the law.

I wonder, however, to what degree the Oilers could even show damages. Sure, they stopped going after other FAs, but it is quite speculative to say they actually would have gotten any of them, or how much the other FA might have cost. Additionally, the relative valuation of hockey players is to a large degree subjective - if I'm Nylanders lawyer, I bring out a list of all the FAs that were still available when he signed elsewhere (especially Yashin) and say "even if there was a contract, which there wasn't, even if promissory estoppel applies, which it doesn't, the Oilers still had a plethora of options for how to spend their money. There might have been, in fact, better deals to be had, or other needs to address." Then I would show a list of the FAs that signed contracts during the period in question and say "many of these were outside the financial reach of the Oilers and it is likely that many of them would not wanted to have signed in Edmonton. Any allegation that the Oilers would have been able to sign one of the few plausible FAs that were signed during the period in question is speculative at best, fantastical at worst. Even if estoppel applies, there is no objective basis under which a court could assign damages to my client and as such the case must be dismissed."

Zowpeb: for not being a lawyer you have a pretty good grasp of legal concepts (or at least terminology :)).

Between my education, my business life and a quick internet search I got a sampling of this stuff and the vocab to sound relatively intelligent...usually it's enough to be dangerous and usually to myself. LOL

Putting all the legal manouvering aside you have to think that the Oilers wouldn't make this stuff up so they either have it in writing or had enough of a verbal commitement to get seriously ticked. Can't blame them...it's bad ethics...hopefully they push the issue hard enough in court that Nylander loses any financial gains he made paying his lawyers to fight it.

There was an article in a Swedish newspaper with Nylander describing his actions. There is one big stink of a mess here and the Oilers have a right to be ticked off. McPhee might even be in hot water which means compensation might be warranted. I'm trying to find the article and translation now. Nylander has fired 6 agents in his career already. He did screw the Oilers.

I read this today. Anyone else in the forum know where it is?

Little help? :)

He isnt really telling what happened, only that he didnt want to live in Edmonton for family reasons, a few hours further from sweden and cold winters and stuff :P He said he was offered more money by edmonton but there isnt really anything about if he signed or not or said yes or not. No real info at all.

"Han vill inte bekräfta att han tackade ja till Oilers.

– Det var diskussioner fram och tillbaka. Jag vet inte riktigt hur allt gick till. Ska prata med min agent om det här, säger Nylander, som sparkat fem-sex agenter under karriären."

He doesnt want to confirm that he accepted the deal from Oilers.

- There were disscussione back and forth, I dont really know what happened. I will talk to my agent about this, Says Nylander who have fired 5-6 agents during his career.

Edited by Dalhabs

SABRES SIGN JOCELYN THIBAULT.

TSN REPORTS THE BUFFALO SABRES HAVE SIGNED GOALTENDER JOCELYN THIBAULT TO A ONE-YEAR CONTRACT.

sorry for the CAPS

Rumour:

To Canucks:

Patrik Elias

To Devils:

Brendan Morrison

Mattias Ohlund

1st Round Pick

Sorry, this is not a UFA move but a rumoured trade. Sorry, wrong thread :(

Not going to happen. Morrison left on bad terms with Lou so there is no way Lou is bringing him back. Plus, Morrison sucks and is way overpaid, that is why Vancouver wants to dump him.