Who will Gainey call first?

Psycing

I had an idea last night and today and wrote up an article concerning it for the front page. But for now, I come to you:

Who do you think Bob Gainey will call first tomorrow at 12pm?

While I'm hoping it's Ryan Smyth, I'd have to think a defenseman like Mathieu Schneider will get the very first call.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he will offer good money for Briere... Deep down I hope Briere refuses or gets a better offer somewhere else

Defense is where I hope BG focuses on... Once noon hits tomorrow u can say goodbye to Shelly if he hasn't signed with us yet.

I'm thinking about 1-2 year stint Dmen Schneider and all the above 35 fit that category which also means they wont go over 5 mil. Scott Hannan, Danny Markov etc...

once thats done go for the 3rd and 4th line Vets with upside potentials: Kozlovs Yashins Bertuzzi's all iffy forwards with one year contracts that are looking to play there way into the above 5 mil paycheck again.

So fix the D void first then go for the high opportunity and risky but short contract forwards

Briere will probably be the first call of the day. All reports seem to indicate he'd be interested, and Gainey is interested in Briere. He'd be a huge asset on the first line and the powerplay.

If Gainey has a defenceman high on his shopping list, I hope it looks something like this;

Sheldon Souray

Scott Hannan

Danny Markov

Vitaly Vishnevsky

Brad Stuart

Joni Pitkanen (restricted, then call Holmgren about a trade)

Interesting question. I would assume it would be a player like Briere - Gainey will call and poke around with his ilk first. Then, someone like Rafalski (who very well could end up back in NJ) or Schneider. Kariya would be worth pursuing too.

Read your blog Mac

and yes the thought of more Dandenault like players calling Gainey regarding coming to MTL

Zubrus, Oulette.. maybe even Zednick?

hes gonna call them all at the same time.

Cell phone 1. Hi Ryan Smyth its Gainey gm of the habs, im callin to offer you a X contract offer hold on plz

Cell 2. Hi Schenider * same as above * hold on plz

Cell 3. Rafalski Exact same as above ;)

hes gonna call them all at the same time.

Cell phone 1. Hi Ryan Smyth its Gainey gm of the habs, im callin to offer you a X contract offer hold on plz

Cell 2. Hi Schenider * same as above * hold on plz

Cell 3. Rafalski Exact same as above ;)

Haha sounds good to me :lol:

1. Selanne, one last chance for him to play with Saku in the NHL.

2. Souray, he'll keep trying.

3. Hannan, needs a rock on the blueline.

4. Souray, he'll keep trying.

5. The Sharks to get Marleau in the red white and blue.

6. Souray, finally gives up and signs somebody like Markov, Hamrlik, DeVries, Sutton, Schneider instead.

7. Zubrus, Maybe.

:hlogo:

it can't fail all 3 at the same time so better chances of us getting one of them lmao :D

well better have Gainey and his assistants calling at the same time ( all in the WAR ROOM have you) still better have 3 D or 3 Forwards. 3 of different likes has higher chances of failing... e.g. Smyth Shneider etc..

my thoughts are do you think we will be getting news within the first 3 hours of UFA dealing 12 hours? 24 hours?

I can't bare the excitement any longer!

It's not like whoever calls 1st get the player........

I'm assuming there have been "talks" going on before actual deadline of 1 minute past 12. GM's are going to give their "best offer" to whoever their after, and I'm assuming the players (AGENTS) will weigh all the offers. With that said, you'll also need to have a Plan B; ie the player your after signs somewhere else...you'll need to assess who's next..

And as the days wear on (and the picken's get slimmer) we should be done shopping. No sense grabbing (overpaying) for the bottom of the barrel...if that happens [ie we don't get who we're after] either we make a trade...or god forbid go to the farm and develop our own players.....

It's not like whoever calls 1st get the player........

I'm assuming there have been "talks" going on before actual deadline of 1 minute past 12. GM's are going to give their "best offer" to whoever their after, and I'm assuming the players (AGENTS) will weigh all the offers. With that said, you'll also need to have a Plan B; ie the player your after signs somewhere else...you'll need to assess who's next..

And as the days wear on (and the picken's get slimmer) we should be done shopping. No sense grabbing (overpaying) for the bottom of the barrel...if that happens [ie we don't get who we're after] either we make a trade...or god forbid go to the farm and develop our own players.....

-Gainey and Briere are flying around Montreal in a helicopter right now and Gainey is saying 6.2 million/4 years. Briere will sign at 12:01 p.m sunday afternoon.

If we want a great center now or later it's going to cost 6 and up. There is no reason why we shouldn't pay someone the money. Briere may not be big but he is good and he'll have big wingers.

Go for it BOB!!!! You can't lose.

Usually the media is expecting the Shannahan or Arnott or Dumont....This year they're taking a step back and saying nothing major will be done. That's when it's going to happen. I think Bob will go for it and sign Souray while he is at it.

I honestly am hoping for both.

So I am... just these 2 and a better center than Bonk to make 3 offensive lines and 3 solid D pairs.

I'm seriously hoping Gainey stays away from Gomez, Briere, Smyth and Drury. Those guys are going to get massive dollars and never live up to the contracts.

I'd hope Gainey goes with the tier 2 free agents. Kariya might be a nice fit up front but do we need another forward?

I'd say Nylander if they are serious about a centre, but I'd concentrate on Rafalski, Preissing and Hannan. If Gainey could score one or two of them that would be quite a coup.

-Gainey and Briere are flying around Montreal in a helicopter right now and Gainey is saying 6.2 million/4 years. Briere will sign at 12:01 p.m sunday afternoon.

If we want a great center now or later it's going to cost 6 and up. There is no reason why we shouldn't pay someone the money. Briere may not be big but he is good and he'll have big wingers.

Go for it BOB!!!! You can't lose.

Usually the media is expecting the Shannahan or Arnott or Dumont....This year they're taking a step back and saying nothing major will be done. That's when it's going to happen. I think Bob will go for it and sign Souray while he is at it.

according XXxxx -XX...something. GM B.G. "Fait son Metro" buying TP ..and talking to someone ... hopefully Shelly or another GM Briere is in the trunk of his car

I'm seriously hoping Gainey stays away from Gomez, Briere, Smyth and Drury. Those guys are going to get massive dollars and never live up to the contracts.

I'd hope Gainey goes with the tier 2 free agents. Kariya might be a nice fit up front but do we need another forward?

I'd say Nylander if they are serious about a centre, but I'd concentrate on Rafalski, Preissing and Hannan. If Gainey could score one or two of them that would be quite a coup.

I would love Hannan and Rafalski as a second Pairing

according XXxxx -XX...something. GM B.G. "Fait son Metro" buying TP ..and talking to someone ... hopefully Shelly or another GM Briere is in the trunk of his car

nice to dream, but i think gainey will be looking for one if not two d-men (no way we go after any of the top 4). way too pricey, and the big names are coming next year.