Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

Hammer wont register more than 10 goals in the season however he wont be minus 25-30....he's always usually in +....

Pure speculation but it can mean that we'll score less on PP....it was a given when Sheldon choose to pick an other destination but more importantly we'll get scored WAY less on 5 on 5 than if we kept Sourray with Hamerlik in our defensive ranks.

As of Chipchura making the team, i think Lapierre could be a decent speedy winger with Begin and or Milroy...on 4th Anyway we'll see about that in september training camp, then we can always shift a few players.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid signings.

Hamrlik instead for Souray and Smolinski for Bonk. Both affordable. I think of Hamrlik as a Souray-copy. Physical, great shot but sometimes unwise decsisions in the defensive zone. But he could be a bargain. Maybe Hamrlik can post numbers close to Sourays now when he probably will see a lot more PP-time.

Smolinski will be a cheaper version of Bonk. Isn't also a pretty good face-off man?

Now there will be room for a tradingdeadline blockbuster move as well, unless Gainey isn't done.

"I got a few offers from teams in the U.S., but I told my agent I'd love to play in Canada," the 33-year-old said from Zlin, Czech Republic on a conference call, comparing hockey in Canada to playing soccer in England. "It's great hockey.

"Players should appreciate it - the fans, the organizations, the media. Everything is there."

Roman Hamrlik

"I got a few offers from teams in the U.S., but I told my agent I'd love to play in Canada," the 33-year-old said from Zlin, Czech Republic on a conference call, comparing hockey in Canada to playing soccer in England. "It's great hockey.

"Players should appreciate it - the fans, the organizations, the media. Everything is there."

Roman Hamrlik

Marty Rucinsky ecomended he sign here.

Roman Hamrlik

How refreshing. An NHLer who wants to play in Canada because the fans are more passionate. Is it me or does that go against the mentality of seemingly everyone else?

How refreshing. An NHLer who wants to play in Canada because the fans are more passionate. Is it me or does that go against the mentality of seemingly everyone else?

Luongo said the same thing when he came to Vancouver. I think the players are starting to get the idea that its more rewarding to win and do well in a Canadian city then an American one where you would barely be noticed.

"Rucinsky told me there's nothing better than playing in Montreal," he said, before adding with a laugh: "But he said just watch out for the media, they're everywhere and there's too many of them."

lol

Gainey serves up Smoked Ham ^_^

rofl!

hrmmm.. Smoked Ham Love it!

GO HABS GO!

add this to our current roster of PUTIN! (aka la Russians!)

and we have a great 7pm game time show for dinner! this coming season.

GO HABS GO!

Finally! ...Now one more top 4 D man to go!

SO Smolinsky going to replace Bonk on the third line or are we trying him on a top 2 line? put him with fellow yanks?

question is :

Lats-Smokin-Ryder or Higgins-Smokin-Kovalev?

I am in such a foul mood.

Hey guys...

I wouldn't be so upset... in you get to sign a free agent, you have to go according to the market. The player's manager isn't an idiot. He won't let his player sign for less money if he sees that others will get a certain range of a contract. On top of that, Hamrlik in particular is a good investment. He seems to be a solidly healthy player who's a great top four defenseman. Souray had to be replaced and he's certainly in Souray's category. Maybe not offensively but, if one takes Souray's -28 from his 64 points, you end up with a 36 point effectiveness. That's two points less than Hamrlik's 38 points. Again, if you add Hamrlik's + 22, that equals a 60 point effectiveness. I know that it doesn't necessarily work that way but on can see a much more positive presence on the ice by Hamrlik than there was with Souray.

As to the Smolinski signing, I'm not nuts about it but Gainey knows more about what's going on than I do for one thing. Also, the price and length are are not too overbearing. He may be a replacement for Bonk but better yet, he gives the Canadiens the opportunity to have an experienced center and gives them also more time to develop their kids in Hamilton. I don't imagine that Chipchura, Grabovski and Locke are ready yet to make the bigs... especially the former two. It gives them time to continue growing and getting ready for the big team.

On the whole, for me, these are good signings. I wasn't happy with Samsonov though I was willing to give him a chance and hoped the best for him. These two are. at worst, good signings.

GO :hlogo: GO

I think Smolinski is a decent, forgettable player, a versatile veteran, kinda like Mike Johnson. He'll pass his year here quietly and continue on his trek through the NHL and none of us will have strong feelings about him.

As for Hamrlik, that's a damned solid signing. A real anchor for our D. The problem is that, unless we sign another UFA we have basically moved laterally - getting a slightly less impressive 3rd line C than Bonk and (probably) a better all-around top-4 D-man than Souray. Isn't the point of signing UFAs to get BETTER?

Not complaining, mind you. These moves soothe the battered soul after yesterday's humilations. And we might be better just by standing still if the young guns keep progressing. But in the big picture, I think we need one more solid D man. Stuart, if he hasn't signed, or Souray, if he can be had for $5.5 or less, would really elevate our club.

Hey guys...

I wouldn't be so upset... in you get to sign a free agent, you have to go according to the market. The player's manager isn't an idiot. He won't let his player sign for less money if he sees that others will get a certain range of a contract. On top of that, Hamrlik in particular is a good investment. He seems to be a solidly healthy player who's a great top four defenseman. Souray had to be replaced and he's certainly in Souray's category. Maybe not offensively but, if one takes Souray's -28 from his 64 points, you end up with a 36 point effectiveness. That's two points less than Hamrlik's 38 points. Again, if you add Hamrlik's + 22, that equals a 60 point effectiveness. I know that it doesn't necessarily work that way but on can see a much more positive presence on the ice by Hamrlik than there was with Souray.

As to the Smolinski signing, I'm not nuts about it but Gainey knows more about what's going on than I do for one thing. Also, the price and length are are not too overbearing. He may be a replacement for Bonk but better yet, he gives the Canadiens the opportunity to have an experienced center and gives them also more time to develop their kids in Hamilton. I don't imagine that Chipchura, Grabovski and Locke are ready yet to make the bigs... especially the former two. It gives them time to continue growing and getting ready for the big team.

On the whole, for me, these are good signings. I wasn't happy with Samsonov though I was willing to give him a chance and hoped the best for him. These two are. at worst, good signings.

I totally agree :clap:

The only issue I have with the Smolinsky signing is that we'll never get a chance to see Latendresse-Lapierre-Ryder...

3rd lien will be: Lahti-Smolinsky-Kovalev.

u got to start thinking if we want Kovalev to play like Kovalev (mind your ur line up is interesting) but not a third line thats a second line So far Kovy has to play with Koivu Until a better Centre is acquired

WHAAT?

Am I the only person who is unimpressed with these moves? :wacko:

A big longterm deal for Roman Hamrlik? Why? Is he worth it? Can he still contribute? The jury's out on all fronts. His mobility is down, he's old and his offense is in major decline, he looked better playing with Phaneuf. Why not give Souray a similar contract? I'd take him over Hamrlik any day of the week. I'd take Scott Hannan over both.

As for Smolinski, decent enough but if this is the promised second line centre, Gainey's got some explaining to do.

Shoot me, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid on this one. Option F again, hope it doesn't bite the Habs in the rear yet again.

Edited by smon