Mark Streit Appreciation Thread

JLP

Often taken for granted but Streit's one of our more flexible players, solid on either defence or wing; he notched a respectable 36 points in 76 games last season, his +/- was fifth-best among team regulars and he took only 14 minutes in penalties; he brings leadership (Captain of the Swiss National Team); and is contracted at a mere $600k.

Glad to have you aboard for 07/08, Mark!

:clap: :hlogo:

I like Streit, mostly because the expectations for him isnt that high and he allways makes them. He feels like having Breezer back without paying WAAY to much. (at least statwise, dont know if theire comparable on the ice since I havent seen any of them play much)

I have been excited for him since he was drafted in 2004. I think he could be Sheldons replacement on the Powerplay. He was the Suiss captain and logged a ton of minutes on the national team and his regular team on a bigger ice surface. He is not a liablility on the ice and can contribute at all point and positions. Others my dissagree but I think he is one of the most underrated players out there, I'm not saying he is an all-star caliber underrated, but he does everythin well, just not one thing amazing to get noticed.

I love Streit. When will he put the team in trouble ??? Never !!! Plus, great offensive skills, all around player. Good comparison with Breez Dalhabs.

On the other and, I don't think and I don't expect he could replace Souray on the PP.

Edited by JeanLucPilon

I love Streit. When will he put the team in trouble ??? Never !!! Plus, great offensive skills, all around player, barely nazi name. Good comparison with Breez Dalhabs.

On the other and, I don't think and I don't expect he could replace Souray on the PP.

I don't think he actually means "replace", I think he means "take his place".

I hope he does anyway :S

Streit is an excellent player I hope Bob sign him to an extension throughout the year.

Agree absolutely.

Low cost, good experience, versability, character. Qualities we need.

$ 3-4 million over 3 years sounds reasonable.

Streit is an excellent player I hope Bob sign him to an extension throughout the year.

Bob doesn't do contracts during the season. He should re-think that self-made rule in the new NHL.

Often taken for granted but Streit's one of our more flexible players, solid on either defence or wing; he notched a respectable 36 points in 76 games last season, his +/- was fifth-best among team regulars and he took only 14 minutes in penalties; he brings leadership (Captain of the Swiss National Team); and is contracted at a mere $600k.

Glad to have you aboard for 07/08, Mark!

:clap: :hlogo:

I think that's what Gainey had intended for Dandy. Thanks Streit for coming to the rescue.

I've been a huge fan of Mark since day 1, and while some ppl bemoaned the fact that he made the team over Hainsey, I rejoiced. And he just continues to impress. Sign him long-term, Bob!

Bob doesn't do contracts during the season. He should re-think that self-made rule in the new NHL.

I think that's what Gainey had intended for Dandy. Thanks Streit for coming to the rescue.

Yes he does!

Yeah, Bob gave Saku a long-term deal in the middle of the 2005-06 season. Maybe that eye injury and it's potential to be worse scared him on the D situation this past year, though.

Streit, gives Carbo and his system credibility. He has been a typical Carbo style player and for that I'm glad. I'd like to see him use his shot from the point more often. He has a cannon of a shot if he connects, keep up the great work.

Streit is an extremely useful player. But I thought he was overused at times last season: he did time on the first line, etc. - as for him 'proving' Carbo's system, well, frankly, I'd rather that Carbo had gotten the most out of a proven offensive talent like Samsonov than a middling talent like Streit, and I found the fact that he didn't decidedly disturbing. In my view Streit is the kind of player that bad teams give tons of ice time to.

Having said all that, he's a good versatile mid-range player, comes cheap, and may still be on the upwards arc of a learning curve. I like the guy...I just worry that Carbo overrates him, that's all.

Streit is an extremely useful player. But I thought he was overused at times last season: he did time on the first line, etc. - as for him 'proving' Carbo's system, well, frankly, I'd rather that Carbo had gotten the most out of a proven offensive talent like Samsonov than a middling talent like Streit, and I found the fact that he didn't decidedly disturbing. In my view Streit is the kind of player that bad teams give tons of ice time to.

Having said all that, he's a good versatile mid-range player, comes cheap, and may still be on the upwards arc of a learning curve. I like the guy...I just worry that Carbo overrates him, that's all.

Agreed...

That said, I really didn't like him in his first season, thought he was too much of a liability. Last season however, he really shocked me. 500% improvement, totally adapted to the NA style of playing. I agree that he shouldn't have been tried ont he first line, but that had more to do with Carbo sending a message to lazy players than actually expecting him to put up first line numbers.

Agreed...

That said, I really didn't like him in his first season, thought he was too much of a liability. Last season however, he really shocked me. 500% improvement, totally adapted to the NA style of playing. I agree that he shouldn't have been tried ont he first line, but that had more to do with Carbo sending a message to lazy players than actually expecting him to put up first line numbers.

Agreed...

And Cucumber's makes a great point! We need to let our star players; play their game and adapt around their skill as much as we build a 2 way team; full of Streits, or Carbo style players.

Always been a fan of his.

Seems to have a great attitude and is willing and able to fill in and do whatever the coach asks him to do, whether it be on offense or Defense. I also think he has a great shot and should get some PP time this season with the departure of Souray.

I also hope he is resigned this season, I would love to see him stick around and be part of the 25th 26th and 27th Stanley Cups.

I've dug Streit ever since he was drafted 8 years late in the 38th round.

Fun facts: Who scored more points for the Canadiens last year: Streit, Guillaume Latendresse or Mike Johnson?

I'd love if he gets re-signed, but I suspect he'll be cast to the wind as an aging post-peak UFA after this year, particularly with the young D coming up behind him. Too bad.

• 7 months later...
Not sure if it's been posted before, but Streit was the cover athlete in Switzerland for NHL 08.

Wow i thought it was the same player for every country.

Can you give me a list of cover boys for other countries, thanks.

:hlogo:

Wow i thought it was the same player for every country.

Can you give me a list of cover boys for other countries, thanks.

:hlogo:

According to wikipedia: Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit) in Sweden, Teemu Selänne in Finland, Jaromír Jágr (New York) in the Czech Republic, Mark Streit (Montreal) in Switzerland

Streit has 48 points now I think. That's incredible for a bottom line forward/defenceman, whatever you consider him. definitely one of the players that deserves a lot of credit for our success this season. :clap:

Streit has 48 points now I think. That's incredible for a bottom line forward/defenceman, whatever you consider him. definitely one of the players that deserves a lot of credit for our success this season. :clap:

Yup, the only downside is what it will cost the team in cap space. Considering he will get a significant raise. Well worth it though as he plays the best he can every night which is an effective influence on the rest of the team.

now 49 pts, 21 of which are not from the PP.

According to wikipedia: Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit) in Sweden, Teemu Selänne in Finland, Jaromír Jágr (New York) in the Czech Republic, Mark Streit (Montreal) in Switzerland

Thanks les glorieux :hlogo: