What do you bring to the table?

zumpano21

I hope this thread generates some good discussion since it's fairly open ended. Basically, just a list of what CHANGES you hope to see from RETURNING Habs and what you hope the NEW Habbers will contribute. Obviously, this assumes that my lineup will be somewhat accurate which I think is reasonable. Players listed in no particular order.

Koivu - no changes necessary, an example for others to follow

Kovalev, - simply put, more desire to not just play the game but excel at it

Ryder - more shooting, better positional play when he doesn't have the puck

Higgins - no changes necessary, avoidance of injury would be a plus

Streit - no absolute changes necessary, just to keep improving as he has shown

Kostitsyn - a relative new addition, i anticipate him to be the fastest habs with the puck and beat defenders accordingly

Plekanec - no changes necessary, stepped up to the plate nicely in the 2nd half last year

Smolinski - a new habs who should clearly bring leadership and expertise on the PK as well

Perezhogin - (if he plays for us), more offensive production, period.

Begin - a role as winger should let him crash and bang bodies like he was born to do.

Lapierre - a 4th liner, has all the tools necessary to become a fast, physical pest designed to shut down top lines

Latendresse - ahem.....speed, more speed, even more speed. are you running sprints right now?

Markov - no changes necessary, our win/loss record without him is dismal

Komisarek - more offensive production

Dandenault - more physical play

Bouillon - not sure....for his size he does fairly well. how about more plays like that awesome end to end against the Pens?

Hamrlik - more offensive production

O'Byrne - (not sure if he'll make the team) as a new addition, he should use his size to crush opposing forwards and stick to a basic gameplan

Huet - better road record

Halak - looked pretty good to me, i can't see any obvious deficiencies as of yet

I think you're too optimistic about Kostityn. I'd expect him to have a great 20 games and then fade out, which is usually what happens with rookies. I hope I'm wrong - it sure would be nice to have a talented youngster step right in and light it up for once (this seems to happen with every team except ours).

You need to include Brisebois in your prognostications! :lol:

Good thread!

I have high hopes of Grabovsky making the team as well as Kostitsyn and I believe they would make the most impact if paired up on a line. I was watching a Hamilton game last season, and the announcer referred to the line of kostitsyn - grabovsky - milroy as the AHL's best line. I have no doubting kosty as he has proved he can play at the NHL level and im sure you all dont doubt him either, not saying hes going to be a star this year, but hopefully a 20goal 45 point guy, and from what ive seen during the rangers game regarding Grabs is that he obviously has some speed and skill, but what struck me most was his composure and poise...even without the puck.

I think their transition will be much smoother and they will flourish if they are paired together with possibly Plekanec to provide great play making and D-zone coverage

Who knows maybe Milroy makes the team as well and the line from hamilton is all there.

I hope to see lines like this

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kovalev Smolinski Latendresse

Kostitsyn Grabosky / Plekanec ( Guy likes 2 centreman on one line)

Begin Lapierre crapshoot between kostopolous, lahti, streit

I really hope for only one change and that is with Guy Carbonneau.

He is one year wiser and more experienced as a coach. I hope to see him more flexible with his coaching style and his approach to the game. We have tools to be an offensively minded team. Defense is important but I really hope Guy does not strangle this team with it this year.

Lol, Koivu sucks, if everyone does like Koivu. Dude, we'll be last in standings.

please explain me why a guy that scores 75 points sucks ?? and on 1/2 eye !!

however, I will say that a first centerman should have at least 90 pts in for a team to be competitive.

Agree with most of your assesments, zumpano...with some exceptions:

Koivu: don't take a twenty-game vacation through Jan/Feb like you have the past two seasons. Less selfish penalties.

Kovalev: see Koivu, but make it thirty games...spread out through the season rather than one long slump.

Plekanec: a better start would take this guy to the next level, as he was brutal the first two months of last season

Begin: either play on a regular basis, or decide that you can't do it anymore and retire

Komisarek: Like to see a wider mean streak from this guy

I really hope for only one change and that is with Guy Carbonneau.

He is one year wiser and more experienced as a coach. I hope to see him more flexible with his coaching style and his approach to the game. We have tools to be an offensively minded team. Defense is important but I really hope Guy does not strangle this team with it this year.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said.

my first wish for the canadiens to stay relatively healthy. bring your own bottle of water this time.

higgins: healthy colar bone and ankle. as well as a 30-40 season would be nice.

koivu: no injuries, no flu and no whining when things do go your way !! an 85 pts season to shut distractors up. you've been good for, you deserve that break.

ryder: a 45 goal seaon and a brand new contract somewhere they appreciate scoring.

kovalev: heart !!

plekanec: a line with kostitsyn and higgins !!

kostitsyn: establishing yourself as a legit 1st rounder.

latendresse: keep the scoring touch and start fighting a bit more...we nned the grit.

smolinski: win faceoffs and more faceoffs!!!

Latthi: show us why you've been compared to Erik cole.

Bégin: healthy back and no more stupid penalties in key situations.

Lapierre: keep getting under peoples skin. fight a bit more often.

kostopoulos: hits and fights and more hits and more fights.

Murray: hey look !! garth's still here

Markov: keep playing like you do!!

komisarek: time to take the next step...and you will.

hamrlik: how about 40 pts and a plus rating.

streit: more PP time.

Bouillon: coming back to the 05-06 form

dandenault: being somewhere else would be awesome.

gorges: hey look josh's still here.

Huet: getting back to the all star form.

halak: being good enough to take huet's spot.

I believe he was being sarcastic :P

he wasn't. He was the one who started the "I hate Koivu" thread a few weeks ago that the mods closed :(

In terms of the comments for Komi, I really like the guy but I'm gonna say this: I'd like to see more of a mean streak, but when it counts. He needs to learn how to punish and pester effectively, not when it's gonna cost us a stupid roughing penalty after the whistle because he was angry and shouted at the refs. He could take a couple of lessons in pestering from Lapierre.

and I agree with whoever said Begin needs to either get healthy or retire. I feel like Lappy could take his spot.

Kovy, hard work and consistency.

also agrree that I'd love a new home for Dandy. Everything he does, we have others who do the same stuff better.

Ah, but can they speak French like he can!?

thats his only talent...for a montreal point of view that is.

Bouillon can speak french and doesn't mind speaking. Lats has stuck around to answer questions and will be one of the main faces on the team much longer than Dandy will be around. Begin of course... but the point is, when Dandy signed, Lats wasn't on the team yet....

I think you're too optimistic about Kostityn. I'd expect him to have a great 20 games and then fade out, which is usually what happens with rookies. I hope I'm wrong - it sure would be nice to have a talented youngster step right in and light it up for once (this seems to happen with every team except ours).

You need to include Brisebois in your prognostications! :lol:

Andrei thinks he could hit 25-30 goals this year or his season will be "No Good". He is really excited about starting the season in Montreal for a change so expect him to flat out fly.

He has all the talent in the world and now he has the heart and drive to succeed. When was the last time we heard a Canadiens player say that if he doesn't get 25- 30 goals he would consider his season a failure?

I hope Kovalev works hard and sets a good example for Kostitsyn, it would be almost tragic if he picked up Kovalev's lazy style of play.

The whole team in general could be more consistent - Can't think of many players who had the same level of effort each night in and night out last year.

Higgins especially needs to put together an entire good season, same goes for Cristobal Huet who hasn't yet played out a full season. Plekanec should hopefully pick up this year at the pace he was at last season.

I'd like to see more production out of Andrei Markov. He's good but his second half production was pretty bad as compared to his first half.

I think Begin is a big question mark because of his lengthy IR time - hopefully he can still play the fourth line winger role well..

Andrei thinks he could hit 25-30 goals this year or his season will be "No Good". He is really excited about starting the season in Montreal for a change so expect him to flat out fly.

He has all the talent in the world and now he has the heart and drive to succeed. When was the last time we heard a Canadiens player say that if he doesn't get 25- 30 goals he would consider his season a failure?

Did you hear this somewhere? If so where? is there an article?

Higgins especially needs to put together an entire good season, same goes for Cristobal Huet who hasn't yet played out a full season. Plekanec should hopefully pick up this year at the pace he was at last season.

just curious, are you saying Higgins needs to work harder, or just have better results? Is he one of the ppl you felt wasn't consistently playing with the same effort each game last year??

Edited by ShortHanded

Higgins would have had a bona fide breakout year if not for injuries.

I really think that he might be the key. He's capable of all-star calibre production and (unlike Lats or Kosty) he has enough experience now that he can realistically be expected to deliver. If Higgins emerges this season as the player we all know he can be, then it will be as though we added a UFA. And suddenly the team as a whole will look a lot more dangerous.

Dandy's great at joining the rush, but our system doesn't allow d-men to do this, unless their name was Souray. Which is dumb because Souray was one of the D that couldn't get back in position because of his skating... Dandy can. Dandy's our best skating d-man.

I guess I'm a weirdo for actually appreciating his talents on our team... if they allowed him to join the rush more, I think you'd like him a LOT better.