The Final Cuts

mathieu30

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am completely suprised by these moves. Especially Price in Montreal, I don't necessarily disagree with the move, but it is not at all what I expected. However, When you really think about it, wouldn't you much rather have Price start the season with the big team than get called up half way through the season. (which I think would've happened)

He now has time to mentally prepare himself for a full year in Montreal. He can work with Melansien (sp), get to know his team mates, and not be worried about when the call is going to come or even, if he had a bad game in Hamilton, if the call was going to come at all. Management has basically told him they have confidence in his abilities as a goaltender, that could mean alot to a young kid like Price. I mean "Management" in this Case is Gainey and Carboneau, not JFJ and Maurice here. Habs management are respected people and they are going to give him a shot. thats got to say something.

Of course this could totally backfire on the poor kid. If he plays in Toronto on Saturday and gets hung out to dry by Dandenault a couple times (which happened against the pens a couple of weeks ago), the Laughs get a couple of 5 on 3's, who knows he might get shelled, then the respect of all the Managers in the league might be hard pressed to bolster this kids ego. (lets hope this doesn't happen)

I think hes got what is takes, and what better way to get aquainted with Montreal than with Huet as a veteran mentor. I think this is a good Idea/Risk.

Go Habs GO :hlogo:

Why are some people in such a hurry to trade away Halak? He's done nothing but respond to the challenges, and for the record I also didn't agree the decision by Carbo to play Huet in the last game of the season after Halak's done so much to bring them back from the dead. Not that Huet was the reason we lost, though he was by no means stellar.

Anyway......then in camp, the kid basically did no better, but also no worse than Price, who so many folks seem to expect to pull a Dryden or a Roy this year. Fine, pick Price to be the backup over Halak, but let's not find out that we had a future Hasek in our system when he starts winning someplace else. I'm not saying that's what he is, I'm saying with what you can get for him right now versus what his upside could be, let's wait and find out....

As far as the other cuts, the only (mild) surprise is Grabovsky sticking - I agree with most folks that it's a positive signal that we're going to be a little more offensive this year, can't wait. I'm also glad Gorges made it, I'd have liked to see him play a little more than he did at the end of last year.

I am completely suprised by these moves. Especially Price in Montreal, I don't necessarily disagree with the move, but it is not at all what I expected. However, When you really think about it, wouldn't you much rather have Price start the season with the big team than get called up half way through the season. (which I think would've happened)

He now has time to mentally prepare himself for a full year in Montreal. He can work with Melansien (sp), get to know his team mates, and not be worried about when the call is going to come or even, if he had a bad game in Hamilton, if the call was going to come at all. Management has basically told him they have confidence in his abilities as a goaltender, that could mean alot to a young kid like Price. I mean "Management" in this Case is Gainey and Carboneau, not JFJ and Maurice here. Habs management are respected people and they are going to give him a shot. thats got to say something.

Of course this could totally backfire on the poor kid. If he plays in Toronto on Saturday and gets hung out to dry by Dandenault a couple times (which happened against the pens a couple of weeks ago), the Laughs get a couple of 5 on 3's, who knows he might get shelled, then the respect of all the Managers in the league might be hard pressed to bolster this kids ego. (lets hope this doesn't happen)

I think hes got what is takes, and what better way to get aquainted with Montreal than with Huet as a veteran mentor. I think this is a good Idea/Risk.

Go Habs GO :hlogo:

I think he will be fine. One of his best attributes is mental toughness.

He let in a terrible goal on the World Under 18 team that cost Canada in the medal round in 2005, 2 years later he is the WJC MVP.

He got shelled in his final game as a junior and went directly to Hamilton, we know how that ended up.

What does this kid have to do to prove he is ready for the NHL? 5 Preseason games, 5 shutouts?

Some of you are more afraid of him failing then he is. If he falls down, he will get back up. He has before.

Edited by Wamsley01

So are you saying a 19 year old who takes a 10th place team to a title is not as important as Cam Ward's 52 regular season AHL games? Did Ken Dryden not prove himself in the NHL until after 1972 because his Stanley Cup was only preceded by 6 NHL games?

As far as the extra year of having him? Sydney Crosby played 2 years under his rookie contract before signing an extension. The only factor that bringing Price up early is the amount of years they can have him on the cheap. If this kid is what everybody wants him to be they will lock him up to an extension before he gets anywhere near his UFA or RFA years.

If winning the Playoff MVP on a championship team is not proving yourself at the AHL level I do not know what is.

Maybe Frederic Cassisivi's 300+ AHL games are more important.

Price is going to sink or swim. If he sinks, 1-2 more years in the AHL was not going to change that.

I never said that what Price did was unimportant. It was fantastic for his development and confidence.

My point was that there have been VERY FEW players who can make the jump effectively, and MANY MORE who have tried and fizzled only to end up back in the AHL...some of whom had their careers ruined. Not that I think this would happen to Price serving as a back-up.

BTW, how did Cam Ward do last year? Hardly a glowing comparison.

Yes, they can lock him up long term before his arb years...BUT, the point is that they could have him for 2 years longer either way...that's 2 more years of his prime career years...at a time when the rest of the Habs farm system will be coming into their own. In the current NHL you have a 2-3 year period where you get a shot at contending for the Stanley Cup. I think it's clear, no matter how much we want it, the Habs are not a contender. In 5 years, when our recent picks(McD, Fisher, etc) have 2 years experience, our veterans are guys like Higgins, Komi, Kosty, Chipchura, etc., then you want everything clicking at a reasonable enough salary to hold a couple of big UFA types. Bringing in Price now limits that in a BIG way. Instead of being in the 3rd year of his NHL career he'll be in his 5th year.

It's not about playing 300 games in the AHL. It's about getting as much game time at step higher level as possible...he can afford to lose and struggle in the AHL...chances are that he won't. However, it's easy to justify having him play there now rather then letting him potentially struggle, like MA Fluery did needlessly.

It is up to management to sign there best players. That is there job, who cares what year of his contract he is in. If he is ready he should play. Fluery is doing just fine, i beleive he came up when he was 19.

When players are coming to thew age of UFA, that is why GM's make or break the team. This is the same for Lats, Price, Chipchura or any other UFA.

I never said that what Price did was unimportant. It was fantastic for his development and confidence.

My point was that there have been VERY FEW players who can make the jump effectively, and MANY MORE who have tried and fizzled only to end up back in the AHL...some of whom had their careers ruined. Not that I think this would happen to Price serving as a back-up.

BTW, how did Cam Ward do last year? Hardly a glowing comparison.

Yes, they can lock him up long term before his arb years...BUT, the point is that they could have him for 2 years longer either way...that's 2 more years of his prime career years...at a time when the rest of the Habs farm system will be coming into their own. In the current NHL you have a 2-3 year period where you get a shot at contending for the Stanley Cup. I think it's clear, no matter how much we want it, the Habs are not a contender. In 5 years, when our recent picks(McD, Fisher, etc) have 2 years experience, our veterans are guys like Higgins, Komi, Kosty, Chipchura, etc., then you want everything clicking at a reasonable enough salary to hold a couple of big UFA types. Bringing in Price now limits that in a BIG way. Instead of being in the 3rd year of his NHL career he'll be in his 5th year.

It's not about playing 300 games in the AHL. It's about getting as much game time at step higher level as possible...he can afford to lose and struggle in the AHL...chances are that he won't. However, it's easy to justify having him play there now rather then letting him potentially struggle, like MA Fluery did needlessly.

Who cares what others have done. If Price isn't ready he will be sent down. Is that going to destroy his confidence?

If it does destroy his confidence then how is he going to perform in pressure situations if he is that brittle?

This is about his development, you think 60 games versus Darren Haydar, Keith Aucoin, Martin St. Pierre etc is the best thing for his game this year? He has already proven he can succeed at the AHL level. Why send him back? Let's see what the kid is made of.

I don't hear anybody saying we should send Lats back. Would spending last year in the AHL have helped him more this season?

I want the kid to have the best chance to succeed. You don't hold back somebody because we might be good in 5 years from now.

The kid is good enough to play in the NHL right now. Will he be the best goalie in the league this year? No, but is he going to learn a hell of a lot more at the next level than at a level he already conquered. Yes

As far as Cam Ward, he won a Stanley Cup, what does it matter what he did last year. Do you remember Patrick Roy in 1987?

He did not even start the majority of the playoff games, Brian Hayward did. He turned out just fine.

By the way, Price needs a new mask. That one doesn't really work with the Habs.

Agreed, whatever happened to Huet's new design?

Edited by Wamsley01

I think the Marleau rumors should of been wiped out when the Sharks signed him for that many years...

Since when a 2 years extension can be known as a "that many years" lap of time ?

Why are some people in such a hurry to trade away Halak? He's done nothing but respond to the challenges, and for the record I also didn't agree the decision by Carbo to play Huet in the last game of the season after Halak's done so much to bring them back from the dead. Not that Huet was the reason we lost, though he was by no means stellar.

Anyway......then in camp, the kid basically did no better, but also no worse than Price, who so many folks seem to expect to pull a Dryden or a Roy this year. Fine, pick Price to be the backup over Halak, but let's not find out that we had a future Hasek in our system when he starts winning someplace else. I'm not saying that's what he is, I'm saying with what you can get for him right now versus what his upside could be, let's wait and find out....

As far as the other cuts, the only (mild) surprise is Grabovsky sticking - I agree with most folks that it's a positive signal that we're going to be a little more offensive this year, can't wait. I'm also glad Gorges made it, I'd have liked to see him play a little more than he did at the end of last year.

It's not much trading Halak than GETING a real 1rst line Center. Halak might be a good asset in a package for a great Center player.

The decision to keep Price makes sense if they think he can hack it at this level. Halak's fine, but Price is expected to become The Man. He has to take precedence.

The interesting question - pretty much all season long - will be Huet's fate. Everyone seems to think he's as good as gone, but are we really that comfortable with a Price-Halak duo in 2008-09, considering how little both have proven themselves over full NHL seasons? Is Gainey the type of guy to deal his veteran, all-star goalie because he thinks The Kid might be ready? I doubt it - Bob is the cautious type and probably would like to keep Huet around for another 1-2 years. But this could be a problem in a cap system; Huet might also want a longer commitment; and plus, for some idiotic reason, Gainey has this policy of not negotiating contracts during the season (which is the biggest reason we lost Souray). This means that he won't be able to get a read on Huet's contractual expectations as the trade deadline approaches.

Interesting times. And the Habs cannot afford to screw this one up.

If Carbo thinks Laps has a problem, then he does in my books - we'll be OK without him. Like the rest, I'm surprised by Grabovski, but at least it shows that the Habs don't have some built-in bias against offensive players...

We should all note that LaPierre is being sent down with the idea of converting him from Center to a versatile winger who can play either side. That's a very straightforward conversion, but it's much better done in the minors than on the fly in the NHL. I think this is a factor in him being sent down.

According to Gainey, they also want to work on his face offs and PK work. Not sure why a winger needs to work at his face offs, but I guess they really see him as a Smolinski-type of versatile forward who can play any position.

He'll be back. They'll all be back, although Halak is really in tight if Price plays well.

Huet's i'm sure will debut in the opener. Price is making good money now, he can afford a new mask.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. The mask with that new design is a Protechsport, made by Michel Doganieri for Lefebvre, RBK. Its the same brand Luongo, Garon, Théodore, Giguere, Aebischer, Denis.. are wearing. Manufacturers send those masks to different goalies, in the hope they will wear them. Huet has that Protechsport for 2 seasons and still hasn't worn it. Alex auld for example started playing with a Protechsport this summer, with a mask he received a year ago. Just look at the paintjob, it's still in Panthers colors. I think Cristo will keep his Itech for now..

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. The mask with that new design is a Protechsport, made by Michel Doganieri for Lefebvre, RBK. Its the same brand Luongo, Garon, Théodore, Giguere, Aebischer, Denis.. are wearing. Manufacturers send those masks to different goalies, in the hope they will wear them. Huet has that Protechsport for 2 seasons and still hasn't worn it. Alex auld for example started playing with a Protechsport this summer, with a mask he received a year ago. Just look at the paintjob, it's still in Panthers colors. I think Cristo will keep his Itech for now..

Denis, Garon, Théodore, Aebischer, Auld

Man RBK needs to get some better goalies :)

We should all note that LaPierre is being sent down with the idea of converting him from Center to a versatile winger who can play either side. That's a very straightforward conversion, but it's much better done in the minors than on the fly in the NHL. I think this is a factor in him being sent down.

According to Gainey, they also want to work on his face offs and PK work. Not sure why a winger needs to work at his face offs, but I guess they really see him as a Smolinski-type of versatile forward who can play any position.

He'll be back. They'll all be back, although Halak is really in tight if Price plays well.

is this from a press conference that I missed? Do you have a link?

I was for keeping Price but I'm surprised by the other moves. Chipchura was a lock but I was expecting Lapierre to stay over Grabovski. Also, I really want O'Byrne on the team but I guess keeping him would have meant waiving some veterans. I expect to see him in a Habs uniform very soon despite the 8 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Wow, lots of great and interesting comments. Just heard about the cuts. My two cents on it.

Very happy to see Price up with the big squad. Excited to see him perform with the Habs.

From everything i was hearing lately, not too surprised to see O'byrne sent down as he could clear waivers. Rather see Boullion gone. Hate seeing Murray make the club, but seeing how there have to be 3 scratches a night, no use having a youngster up in the pressbox. Unrealistic, but i hope Murray plays only 5 games and is scratched for the rest or waived. Was surprised to see Laps sent down, but like the idea of giving Grabs a shot to see if he has what it takes. Laps has little upside offensively, mostly a 4th liner, but he will be back sometime. Also looking forward to seeing Chips play. I do like the idea better of Laps becoming a winger for his gritty agitating role, as at center he would sometimes have positional problems in the defensive zone. Also tougher to be the first forward back when you're agitating deep in the opponents zone. Looks like there will be 3 possible scoring lines. And lots of versatility and depth. You're not producing, you will be in the box. Hopefully, Streit sees lots of icetime on D, and Gorges is given a fair shake. I know Dandy has the speed to play forward and can penalty kill well, but hard to see where he fits in up there, unless Kotsopolus sits.

Can't wait for Wednesday. Go Habs Go.

The decision to keep Price makes sense if they think he can hack it at this level. Halak's fine, but Price is expected to become The Man. He has to take precedence.

The interesting question - pretty much all season long - will be Huet's fate. Everyone seems to think he's as good as gone, but are we really that comfortable with a Price-Halak duo in 2008-09, considering how little both have proven themselves over full NHL seasons? Is Gainey the type of guy to deal his veteran, all-star goalie because he thinks The Kid might be ready? I doubt it - Bob is the cautious type and probably would like to keep Huet around for another 1-2 years. But this could be a problem in a cap system; Huet might also want a longer commitment; and plus, for some idiotic reason, Gainey has this policy of not negotiating contracts during the season (which is the biggest reason we lost Souray). This means that he won't be able to get a read on Huet's contractual expectations as the trade deadline approaches.

Interesting times. And the Habs cannot afford to screw this one up.

If Carbo thinks Laps has a problem, then he does in my books - we'll be OK without him. Like the rest, I'm surprised by Grabovski, but at least it shows that the Habs don't have some built-in bias against offensive players...

Why do people always say this. Gainey does not have this policy Koivu was extended mid season, with some players he just waits until the season ends to not distract the team it is on a player to player basis.

Some interesting comments from Bob McKenzie on the Habs:

"Of all the story lines that will unfold this season in the NHL, Carey Price is going to be one of the most fascinating to watch. Cristobal Huet starts the season as No. 1 in the Montreal Canadiens' net, but Price is going to get a chance to play and how he fares will make things interesting in Montreal. The Habs have done a good job of low-keying Price's role on the team to start this season because they don't want to put too much pressure on him, but based on his AHL playoff last spring the projections are for Price to be a “franchise goalie.” One NHL GM said Price's Calder Cup run in Hamilton last spring was one of the most dominant goaltending performances in professional hockey ever.

The Canadiens are an interesting team. Most pundits are predicting a big slide for Montreal but they have some exciting youngsters with speed who could surprise. Tomas Plekanec looks to be emerging a point-producing pivot and Andrei Kostitsyn and Mikahil Grabovski are going to figure prominently for the Canadiens. Grabovski is lightning quick; Kostitsyn is being touted for a breakthrough year of 20 or more goals. The jury is out on Montreal but if the kids can play, especially the notable one in net, the Canadiens may surprise a few people".

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

ughh.. I hate the idea of Dandy playing as a forward, time to say bye bye to him instead

Until he's an obvious cap burden there's no point in putting him in the minors. He's already not a starter at either forward or D. His role on the team is incredibly insiginficant. Only if the team thought J-P Cote should stay in the NHL, or that Jamie Rivers or Mathieu Biron were obviously better than Dandy would it matter.

O'Byrne needed to crack the top 6 to stick. No point in him sitting in the press box.

MacKenzie has always been one of my favourite analysts, nice to see he's actually done his research on Montreal. I don't mind some analysts saying we suck but they can't back it up with anything except last year's standings.