Game Thread | Sabres de Buffalo vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 10/20/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win tonite. It wasn't pretty, but a win's a win. Solid tending by Huet. Higgy notches a pair, finally some puck luck and an empty netter. 3 assists by Hammy, but even more impressive was his consistent play. Very strong defensively. May not score 20 goals, but will prevent many. The Koivu line didn't have its best game, and i'd rather see Kostitsyn with Pleks and Kovy rather than Lats. Lats had a couple of nice hits, but can't keep up to Pleks, rather see him with Smokes. Props to the Begin, Chips and Kostopolo line. This i where Kostopolo belongs at most. I'll give him a chance to see him on the 4th line. It's kinda too bad cause Dandy fits that role too. I was all for Streit to be a d-man this year, but seems to be struggling abit. I'm gonna blame it on having to play with Boullion. I'd like to see Streit paired with someone else.

And WOW, finally scored 4 goals even if one was into the empty net.

Higgins looked really good in the 3rd and got 2 goals for it :)

not sure that Higgins will be credited for his 1rst goal, seems to get in cuz of the Dman's skate... we'll see, I wish Higgins goth both cuz he's part of my fantasy pool team

Anyway GREAT finish ! I think no one was disapointing.

I thought that refs sucked a bit, no?

A good and much needed win.

I am however concerned about Markov...he just seems really hot and cold this so far this season. Good thing we signed Hamrlik...

And I still think Carbo needs to shorten his bench later on in the 3rd...

But, I don't mean to sound down 'cause we got the W baby! And the Leafs lost again...sweet.

Good game tonight, they played hard and the bounces were about even.

It struck me tonight how people keep bitching about them blowing leads in the 3rd. Go watch the leafs cough up 5 3rd period goals on a regular basis and then consider yourself lucky. At least the habs have not embarrassed themselves several times already. :)

My final thought is that the reffing in this league gets worse every year. There were so many screwed up calls tonight, both ways. Must be so frustrating for all teams to play with this level of officiating.

I have to say that the calls were mostly in our favour tonight, they called some calls that they couldve ignored I think.

We were the best team the first 20 minutes, the last 40 I give to the sabres but we managed to get the win anyway.

All the bashing isnt only stupid, it has become gratuitous and self-sustained. Its the slippery slope of blind fanatism; the useless, pointless and senseless variety.

The exact same thing can be said for blindly following Carbo without questioning some questionable moves!

That being said, I have no problems with Carbo tonight. Scratching players is fine and he finally put Kostopo;ous on the 4th line where he belongs :clap:

I think Chips looks better and better each game. He will be our third line center for a long time to come. Koivu was off last night, although TSN reported that he had the flu. I really love what Hamrlik is bringing to our team. Sometimes I wonder if Streit would benefit from being paired with him. Streit has been playing well but he has trouble when being rushed, I think Hammer might be able to calm him down a bit. Dandenault has been great all year long. He can't finish worth a crap but he puts 100% in to every shift.

I would like to see Bob move a couple of players to make room for Lapierre.

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopolous would be a really tough line to play against.

Good game, good win. I'm not completely sure why Kostitsyn was scratched, I assume Carbo had a problem with his effort.

Well overall a pretty good game. I thought they worked hard. Not really hard but just hard. Atleast enough to win. Kostopolous was good with a bit less ice time. Defense was solid, had a bit of a tough time transitioning and getting the puck out. Offensively left alot to be desired, the first line was awfull. They caught the breaks and bounces and got the much needed win.

Hamrlk played great, Komi was better.

Brobin, the Habs do Give up leads, i thought they tried again last night but failed. There play after goals needs to addressed.

They have given up like 5 points already to eastern teams with the lead in the third. Who cares about the leafs giving up leads, the Habs need to worry about themselves.

Why does Grabovski exactly deserve ice time? I have seen him in like 5 games and my only good comment is he is fast. Oh well i think Kosty will be back in next game.

If they don't play harder or better in offensive zone Monday they'll lose the Boston game. They are playing well.

Well overall a pretty good game. I thought they worked hard. Not really hard but just hard. Atleast enough to win. Kostopolous was good with a bit less ice time. Defense was solid, had a bit of a tough time transitioning and getting the puck out. Offensively left alot to be desired, the first line was awfull. They caught the breaks and bounces and got the much needed win.

Hamrlk played great, Komi was better.

Brobin, the Habs do Give up leads, i thought they tried again last night but failed. There play after goals needs to addressed.

They have given up like 5 points already to eastern teams with the lead in the third. Who cares about the leafs giving up leads, the Habs need to worry about themselves.

Why does Grabovski exactly deserve ice time? I have seen him in like 5 games and my only good comment is he is fast. Oh well i think Kosty will be back in next game.

If they don't play harder or better in offensive zone Monday they'll lose the Boston game. They are playing well.

I agree. Grabovski has no use to us. With Koivu, Plekanec, Smolinski/Lapierre and Chipchura at C, he has no place on our team unless he ever learns to play LW. He's got skill, he's got speed, but he doesn't have anything else and that's including hockey sense. He's basically Samsonov except he doesn't whine. He could be a useful asset in a trade though, to be a team that sees potential (which he does have).

and i'd rather see Kostitsyn with Pleks and Kovy rather than Lats. Lats had a couple of nice hits, but can't keep up to Pleks, rather see him with Smokes.

Me too. I actually think whoever plays LW on that line is the key to get Plex and Kovy to produce more. I think Lats and Kosty will probably rotate there for a while until one of them clicks.

We're back to last year's main offensive problem: lack of good LW's after Higgins. Both Lats and Kosty are converted RWers but both are still about a year behind that level.

Once they reach it though... both are top 6 forwards. The talent's there, the athletics are there; all that is left to develop is reading plays and keeping a higher intensity level.

In the meantime, Chipchura has come along slowly but surely and he's already quite reliable. He's very smart and knows where to go on the forecheck, which is basically the thing Lats and Kosty lack.

Grabovski is also showing some improvements in his fundamentals. He takes decisions quicker and he supports his linemates more. He still looks raw and tentative but there's an interesting potential there.

Giving up leads in very close games is one thing. How you would like seeing "leaf type" collapses on a regular basis? My point is that in every game so far (except Carolina), the game has been close, the team has been in it. Random crap can lead to you losing those games. A bounce, a penalty, etc. That is what we have seen.

The leafs are a terrible defensive team. They can blow 3 goal leads in 20 minutes! People on this board act like Monteal has been doing that, which they have not.

Montreal is playing exactly like I expected, as a young bubble team. Win some. lose some. I don't believe we have a "top 4 talent team" that is just being out coached. This is an young team lacking depth with an average coach who is still learning. The players have been making far more mistakes then Carbo.

Example. He played Boo boo and boo boo took a penalty against Toronto. What a moron the fans cried! Should have had Komi out there. Against Florida, he had komi out, who took a worse penalty and cost us the game. Hmm... Now what. Oh right, now he should have called a timeout? ..

Too often people on these boards over analyze every mistake, every play (in hindsight) and try to find fault. They seem to forget that this is a game of bounces, luck, and random events. Do you really think that Buffalo is sitting there now blaming Miller for that Hammer goal? When a team plays like crap (Toronto in the 3rd, Habs against the Canes), then there is a big issue. But losing to Florida or Ottawa was just bad luck. They played well in both game and if they play well enough, things will average out in time. Buffalo got bad luck last night. :)

Just my opinion. In any case, my previous point was that people need to get some perspective on the Habs. :)

Edited by brobin

The main problem I have with comments like these is that Grabovski's definitely not the worst asset in our offensive lineup, so I don't understand why he's consistently singled out. What frustrates me, is seeing someone like Latendresse on the power play with Kovalev. Unless a scrappy goal is scored, I actually expect the penalty to be killed while he's on the ice. I know they have different assets, and Latendresse was showing some decent power forward traits last night, but while I agree that Grabovski looks weak on the puck, he definitely has the raw talent to be a very good player in the league. Who knows what will happen after he breaks the ice and finally scores that first goal. Whatever, I agree that if he doesn't start producing, then eventually he has to be moved down, but until then I'll never see him as our weakest player up front, far from that.

I am happy for the win but Buffalo team was very tired ans still managed to

look better than us.

This is was not a game to be proud of. Just 2 points. No show for the fans either.

I would like to see one good looking goal. Didn't see that this year.

The main problem I have with comments like these is that Grabovski's definitely not the worst asset in our offensive lineup, so I don't understand why he's consistently singled out. What frustrates me, is seeing someone like Latendresse on the power play with Kovalev. Unless a scrappy goal is scored, I actually expect the penalty to be killed while he's on the ice. I know they have different assets, and Latendresse was showing some decent power forward traits last night, but while I agree that Grabovski looks weak on the puck, he definitely has the raw talent to be a very good player in the league. Who knows what will happen after he breaks the ice and finally scores that first goal. Whatever, I agree that if he doesn't start producing, then eventually he has to be moved down, but until then I'll never see him as our weakest player up front, far from that.

Gui's play has improved though and he's also proven that he can hit like a truck and score goals at the NHL level. At the moment, Grabovski probably is our most useless forward - not offensively, but allround. I would give him more than 9 and a half minutes a game but it seems Guy is not going to award him with more icetime until he produces.

The main problem I have with comments like these is that Grabovski's definitely not the worst asset in our offensive lineup, so I don't understand why he's consistently singled out. What frustrates me, is seeing someone like Latendresse on the power play with Kovalev.

Lats is only on the PP to screen the goalie because we dont really have any other forward who has the size and hands to take the pounding in front of the crease and yet still be able to do something with the puck. who else can you put there?

Lats is only on the PP to screen the goalie because we dont really have any other forward who has the size and hands to take the pounding in front of the crease and yet still be able to do something with the puck. who else can you put there?

i dont remmber, seeing him in the crease,i could be wrong...i really dont think he should be on the PP, I THINK CHIPS would be a better guy for getting in the crease, and causing trouble.....

i dont remmber, seeing him in the crease,i could be wrong...i really dont think he should be on the PP, I THINK CHIPS would be a better guy for getting in the crease, and causing trouble.....

He was there last night. Brisebois and Hamrlik were at the point and the strategy was very clear: have Kovy & Plex feed the D-men so they take shots at the net with Lats in front of the goalie and 2 d-men covering him. It lead to a couple of good shots but Buffalo's PK was very good (Hecht in particular must haveblocked 4-5 shots).

I knew someone would mention Chips. He already gets PK ice time, and he doesn't really have the offensive flair and hands you'd want from a player on the PP. Lats is perfect for that. His main trouble is mobility, not really necessary when all you've gotta do is stay in the slot and use his long reach to jump on rebounds.

Anyway, have anyone else noticed who was on the ice for the last 2 mins of the game and the Habs protecting a 1-goal game? Koivu, Higgins and Kovalev. Who said Carbo wasn't listening his vets? Hehehehe.