Game Thread | Bruins de Boston vs. Canadiens de Montréal | 10/22/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov's goal was a sniper's goal. I'd love to see what Markov could do as a winger (he was a center when drafted) but he's too damn important as D. The guy just dont get enough credit. He's easily one of the top 10 D's in the league now.

Nice RDS tidbit of info.

1 year ago and 1 day the Habs scored 7 goals against Theo.

It was actually eight... I remember the game against the avs, it was 8-5.

Good game tonight for the boys, but Boston didn't really look too good tonight, so hopefully it keeps up against better teams. :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

Nice to see them blow a team out for once, and they really spread around the offense which is also really cool to see :clap:

Goals came fast and furious on the Canadiens Express haha...

Brisebois still makes me wayyy too nervous. I dont trust him in october, how am i going to trust him in april and (hopefully) beyond?

Brisebois still makes me wayyy too nervous. I dont trust him in october, how am i going to trust him in april and (hopefully) beyond?

Gonna have to accept the risk because the reward is good. Breezer has fit in perfectly in the Habs system. He's damn useful on the PP and thinks about offense too much. It's a gamble you can take when you've got Hamrlik as a pairing partner and Huet in nets. Now we've got one good puck-movning D on each pair: Markov, Breezer and Streit. It's critical that the puck comes out of the territory as soon as possible. Last year we got killed by not being able to clear the puck with guys like Souray, Rivet, Dandeneaul and Niinimaa.

Besides that, did you guys see the bomb Markov threw to Kovalev. From the Habs slot all the way to the Bruins' blueline. I wanna see more of those long Hail Marys down the neutral zone.

Holy crap our free agents look good. Hammer is our top D this year. Smoke has a serious offensive upside. Kostpolis is looking like he's fitting in, and filling his role nicely. Breezy is...well...Breezy. Oh well 3 outta 4 is damn good. And Breezy is a pretty good $750,000 D man.

I knew Smoke would be good. He's been a trade deadline pickup probably more than any other current player. Looked good on him passing over to Grabs so he could get his 1st NHL goal.

I wasnt overly worried aboot Hammer, but didnt think he would be this good. My real concern with Hamrlik was if he is that good then why didnt Flames resign him? I figured Sutter knew something we didnt, but apparently there wasnt any secret injuries/problems with him.

Like I said during exhibition: I predict Hamrlik would become the 2nd darling on D.

Maybe the 1st now? :clap:

A.C did though. After watching the last few games I'm starting to think Hamrlik is Habs #1 Dman. Loved the 1 analyst tonight saying Hamrlik has a good shot and has more goals than Souray.

Kosto looked good tonight too, and for the 1st game he didnt follow something good with something bad.

Everyone looked good in this game, even Brisbois!! I'm wondering if they will try putting Brisbois on 3rd or 4th line linke Dandy? :lol:

Brisbois might be able to fit in as winger. I feel bad aboot Brisbois, because some of the boo-birds are right. Brisbois probably should be retired by now, but Brisbois needs to retire a Habs and he should have played his entire career in Montrea!! The Habs really dropped the ball letting him go after the lockout. I think thats why they resigned him, so its no big deal for $750K, plus he will probably be hired as the Defensive coach the Habs dont have.

I didnt notice any Hail Marys in this game, but I know he sent Kovalev in on a breakaway in an earlier game, and they should definitely be practicing those long break out passes. If Kovalev could get sent in on a breakaway once/period he could easily get over 50 goals this season.

Gonna have to accept the risk because the reward is good. Breezer has fit in perfectly in the Habs system. He's damn useful on the PP and thinks about offense too much. It's a gamble you can take when you've got Hamrlik as a pairing partner and Huet in nets. Now we've got one good puck-movning D on each pair: Markov, Breezer and Streit. It's critical that the puck comes out of the territory as soon as possible. Last year we got killed by not being able to clear the puck with guys like Souray, Rivet, Dandeneaul and Niinimaa.

Besides that, did you guys see the bomb Markov threw to Kovalev. From the Habs slot all the way to the Bruins' blueline. I wanna see more of those long Hail Marys down the neutral zone.

I guess i can accept it, i will admit he has looked really nice on the power play. I hope we at least limit his minutes while protecting leads in the 3rd, and by limit i mean basically eliminate.

I love when Markov "throws" those bombs, didnt work out tonight but he's usually right on with those.

Loving our D overall though. its such a good mix, you got the tough as nails Hammer, Komi and Cube, the good puck movers in Markov, Streit and Brisebois.

Our top 3 really ranks up there league wide...

Oh yeah...Lats looked better too. His hands are loosening up, which is his 2nd best weapon. And he protected the puck nicely along the boards a few times, and delivered that stadium shaking check, which is his biggest weapon. I predict Lats will unfortunately beat Chris Niel for injuring other team's players with his menacing forecheck.

Edited by BCHabnut

Hamrlik turning out to be a noticeable improvement over Souray.

Brisebois is a half decent pickup.

Smolinski has had a goof or two, but is quite solid.

Kostopolous, despite The Mistake of the other night, is turning out to be pretty decent too.

All in all.. i think the moral of the story here is:

In Bob We Trust

I don't have RDS, but there's a free preview of ESPN Classic going on, so the Habs game I watched was game 5 vs. the Nordiques from 1993. (game summary: Roy rules, Hextall sucks).

Glad that the Habs won twice last night. Yay Habs!

I don't have RDS, but there's a free preview of ESPN Classic going on, so the Habs game I watched was game 5 vs. the Nordiques from 1993. (game summary: Roy rules, Hextall sucks).

Ha, I can't even remember the last time a hockey game was on Classic down here.

Grabovski played very well, though he needs to untuck the back of his jersey, he looks ridiculous. He was flying and seemed very much to be part of the play.

Latendresse looked good too. Didn't seem slow at all and threw some big hits.

Kostopoulos also looked good out there, saw nothing about his game to bash.

Nobody really stood out on defense, I'd say that's a good thing most of the time.

Higgins had a pretty awful game. I realize he had the goal, but he couldn't complete a pass to save his life, tons of turnovers.

Yes, overall a very solid effort. Good work by many Habs. I thought Boston held them in check pretty good the first half of the game, then they started rolling a bit. It's certainly nice to see everyone (all 4 lines) doing well and contributing. For the first time in years the small Habs might not be worn out half way through the season. This team is certainly working harder and more physical then in the past. 2 tough games coming up, i expect Gorges, Price and Kosty to be in 1 of those games.

Only bad news:

Quite a bit of turnovers (Streit especially)

Pk i thought was pretty weak again

Higgins had a pretty awful game. I realize he had the goal, but he couldn't complete a pass to save his life, tons of turnovers.

If a bad games nets him goal 3 I hope he has more!!! :rolleyes: Maybe 50? But yes he did make some bonehead passes. As did Breezer. But on the plus size, the rest of the team moved the puck very well. Really impreessed by Huet's puck control. He protected the puck well against the boards and passed the puck very well. major improvement!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

If a bad games nets him 3 I hope he has more!!! :rolleyes:

Turnovers lead to odd man rushes lead to goals for the opposition. He was lucky nothing bad came of all his turnovers. Sure, goals are great, but so is getting the puck to the right team when you pass it. Aside from the goal, Higgins had a very bad game, he was either giving the puck away or invisible.

Its a shame breezer is named breezer. I think too many people are biased against him based on the past.

The fact is (as Kozed pointed out), that Brisbois is an offensive defenceman. All defensemen like him will occasionally create turnovers, have passes intercepted, etc. That is the risk you take, but it is a risk you must take. We always talk about our team speed and youth, but team speed comes from that first pass out of the zone, far more then just raw skating speed. Its about moving the puck.

Last year we had too many defensemen who could not move the puck and create that team speed. We got bottled up a lot and had no flow to the team game. With Brisbois, Streit, and Markov, I see huge improvement overall in the team offensive because we have a better balence of offensive versus defensive defensemen now.

People need to appreciate what guys like Brisbois bring to the overall game and not harp on every turn over. Its far worse when Komi turns it over, imo, because playing solid defense is his role. If he can't do that, he has no upside besides hitting. (not to pick on Komi here, just an example).

Last year we had too many defensemen who could not move the puck and create that team speed. We got bottled up a lot and had no flow to the team game. With Brisbois, Streit, and Markov, I see huge improvement overall in the team offensive because we have a better balence of offensive versus defensive defensemen now.

It's probably the best improvement on last year. I've rarely seen the Habs get bottled up in their zone compared to last year. They waste less time getting the puck to an open guy who can clear it instead of just trying to clear it off the boards without looking. Better puck control overall.

Only thing left to improve is the forwards supporting the D's a bit more.

It's probably the best improvement on last year. I've rarely seen the Habs get bottled up in their zone compared to last year. They waste less time getting the puck to an open guy who can clear it instead of just trying to clear it off the boards without looking. Better puck control overall.

Only thing left to improve is the forwards supporting the D's a bit more.

Yeah, but if you had ever seen me play hockey, you would know that I have no business commenting on back checking. :)

I was back in the slot the other day clearing the puck out and the goalie (who I have known for years) says to me "oh, didn't recognize you, never seen you up close like this before'. B)

Its a shame breezer is named breezer. I think too many people are biased against him based on the past.

The fact is (as Kozed pointed out), that Brisbois is an offensive defenceman. All defensemen like him will occasionally create turnovers, have passes intercepted, etc. That is the risk you take, but it is a risk you must take. We always talk about our team speed and youth, but team speed comes from that first pass out of the zone, far more then just raw skating speed. Its about moving the puck.

People need to appreciate what guys like Brisbois bring to the overall game and not harp on every turn over. Its far worse when Komi turns it over, imo, because playing solid defense is his role. If he can't do that, he has no upside besides hitting. (not to pick on Komi here, just an example).

:clap: