Have we finally arrived or are we playing over our heads?

REV-G

I wonder who we're really seeing right now. A team that has finally come together or a team that is on a bit of a hot streak? Our defence seems much better than last year and our plus minus as a team has improved. We again have one of the best PP in the entire league. But our penalty killing is still a weakness. It seems like the new veteran players added this year are stronger than the ones who left. Ryder has fallen off a lot from last year but Kovalev has improved so that seems to almost even out. Without getting hit with the flu epidemic from last year the teams seems to be much more consistent and solid so far. Players that were rookies a few years ago, like Streit, Higgins and Komisarek have continued to improve. Players like Lapierre and Sergei K. have added hard work and overall strength to the team. If Huet continues to play well and remains healthy we might be seeing the emergence of what was a just below middle of the pack team to a team that will end up above the middle of the pack with some serious playoff potential. Our points comparrison with last year should start to improve because last year at this time we were in a serious slump that probably cost us a playoff spot. And we seem to have some very solid prospects in the system for the next few years. The question now may be whether Bob Gainey makes a trade before the deadline or is happy with our improvement and lets the existing players develop and then try again to add a key scorer in the UFA market this summer? The signs all seem to be pointing in the right direction for a team that is young and still maturing but improving and working together well. If with the players we have this year we can avoid a prolonged slump, this year and the future seems to be bright.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that we are winning while Saku is not exactly on fire is a good indication that the kids have brought something to the club, also Kovy has been better than consistent he actually seems to be ever-improving (the stickhandling was always there but now the mobility is too, guess the knee is fine), Komi not looking like a kid anymore, Markov -nuff said, Hamrlik a great surprise, so yeah I'd cross my fingers and say the team is finding itself and not just on a streak, although could be said we are streaking, especially when we beat the Rags. Imagine this team with Saku producing like he is capable of producing? Go Habs Go!

I love to say that we finally have arrived and not to be skeptical but lets get a few more in the W column :).

The race is very tight in the East this year and there is a log jam in the middle.

GP W L OT PTS

5. Montreal 43 22 13 8 52

6. Philadelphia 41 22 15 4 48

7. NY Islanders 43 21 17 5 47

8. Boston 43 21 18 4 46

9. NY Rangers 44 20 19 5 45

10. Atlanta 45 21 22 2 44

11. Buffalo 42 19 18 5 43

12. Florida 44 20 21 3 43

13. Washington 43 18 20 5 41

14. Toronto 44 16 20 8 40

15. Tampa Bay 44 16 23 5 37

*copied from tsn.ca

I would love to see a nice little 5 game W streak going against teams in the East.

It is great to see though at the 1/2 way mark in the season that we have 50+ points.

Our PP is#1

AK is scoring and not chatting to the media :P

The youngsters are looking good.

The vets are showing leadership.

The off seasons pickups are working well (Except Smoke but I'm looking for something soon).

I wonder who we're really seeing right now. A team that has finally come together or a team that is on a bit of a hot streak?

I think it's a bit of both! It's still a bit too early to say that "we have arrived" and I do believe that this team is on a bit of a hot streak. We are a year from being able to say that we are really a top 6 team in the league.

Give the youngsters another year and the improvement will be even more obvious.

Patience young padawan! It will come. This year has been a pleasant surprise, let's keep our fingers crossed that this "hot streak" lasts a long while!

I think we're seeing this team come together. I honestly think the turning point was adding Sergei Kostitsyn... this allowed us to have 3 scoring lines... extremely important. Our offense has come alive since then. All we need now to contend with the front-runners is:

(1) Another top 4 defenseman to pair with Hamrlik. Doesn't need to be an offensive whiz - just someone solid like Hamrlik.

(2) I always liked ol' Ryder, but I think it's time to trade him... I doubt he'll be coming back next year anyway. Rumor has it we're looking at Jarret Stoll of the Oilers. Ryder for Stoll... I'd take that trade. Then our top 3 lines would look like:

Andrei K - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Koivu - Sergei K

Higgins - Stoll - Lapierre

... Lapierre could move to the wing. I think he'd be a better fit there as I find he doesn't have enough playmaking abilities for centre. I think Stoll would fit in very nicely... a gritty 2-way guy who can put points on the board (he had 68 a few seasons ago). Higgins and Latendresse could be swapped if need be.... Latendresse loves to play with his best buddy Lapierre so it would be a natural fit. Those are 3 nice lines.

(3) And finally, a REAL goon.... seriously. No joking aside - I'd wait till Chris Simon gets out of the nuthouse and then seriously inquire about him. With someone like that, our skill guys would feel a LOT more comfortable and not worried about getting ran at everytime we're up by 3+ goals.

(4) We've got too many fringe 4th liners... Kostopoulos, Begin and Dandenault could all go (keep one of them until Chipchura is ready to return however). 4th line I'd like to see is Streit - Chipchura - Simon.

Rumor has it we're looking at Jarret Stoll of the Oilers. Ryder for Stoll... I'd take that trade.

Where did you hear that? It would be a sweet deal, but I somehow doubt Edmonton would go for it?!?!

As far as Simon is concerned, I seriously doubt the Habs Organization would want that nutcase on their team! I can understand the uses of a Goon, but when O'Byrne will be back, that will give us 3 big d-men who can take care of themselves(as well as thier teammates!)

I dont think we've come around just yet. I think that in a year or two we'll be great.

we still lack that true offensive centre.

we still don't know how andrei and sergei kostitsyn will do in the playoffs.

Kovy and Koivu are aging and are both UFA at the end of next year.

Price is not there yet and could take a couple of years before being a real force in the league.

Finally, gaineys job isnt one of patching up anymore rather than one of adding up.

if he moves his pieces properly and doesnt make any bonehead moves like trading ribs for janne or not trade souray when we couldve gotten something nice in return we'll be in a great position in a few years.

just be patient for now and watch the team grow in the playoffs.

Being a big defenseman doesn't make you a tough goon. They still need someone who can throw em and not get rag dolled like every habs "goon" the last 10 years.

They are better, they aren't there yet. The youth, 25 and under croud, Kovalev and Hamrlik have carried the team. Other vets including Koivu needs to pick it up to ensure a playoff spot.

I was wondering where are all the posters calling for GC's head have gone?

Like I have said for 2 years now, the system doesn't hamper the offense, the system doesn't cause the team to give up 40 shots a night. Lazy soft players do.

The players including Kovalev have gradually bought into the system and are playing tougher, harder and for longer periods of time now. They still have some lapses in games and forget how to work hard, but when they do, they can compete with the big boys. Ottawa and New Jersey still own them.

So they reallly just need to keep going with what they are doing and they should make the playoffs.

Next years bunch should be even a younger team with the likes of Smoke, Brisby, Ryder probably Huet, Steit all gone from the roster. This team should have good cap space to bring in a top guy if they think they need 1. Thye can also lock up some of the youth for longer contracts.

I wrote in a game thread a while ago that this team can only look up because of all the youth. Habs are one of the youngest team in the league. And yet we are 5th in our conference.

Latendresse = 20 yrs old

S. Kostitsyn = 20 yrs old

Price = 20 yrs old

Chipchura = 21 yrs old

Lapierre = 22 yrs old

A. Kostitsyn = 22 yrs old

Halak = 22 yrs old

O'Byrne = 23 yrs old

Higgins = 24 yrs old

Plekanec = 25 yrs old

Komisarek = 25 yrs old

That's alot of key players below 25, players years removed from their prime (27 to 31).

We've also got:

- The best PP in the League.

- One of the best D pair in the league (Markov-Komisarek)

- We've got 3 lines that can contribute offensively, making it hard to shut us down

- 2 game-breaking scorer (Kovalev & Kostitsyn)

- Impervious to intimidation despite the lack of a goon.

- Improving youth

The last part is so important. Just look how Andrei Kostitsyn taking that next step in recent weeks had added a new dimension to our offense. Or how Lapierre's better overall 2-way game has provided us with a new scoring line.

Now the next steps need to come from Lats and Sergei. Both are just 20 yrs old kids with great offensive upside, and it's Koivu's job to help both get to a new level of confidence and consistency. With Lats' nose for the net and Sergei's playmaking gifts, this could become a lethal combination, further adding to our offense firepower.

The key is still what's been said since the beginning of the season: 5-on-5 scoring, limit mental breakdowns, discipline and spending less time in our zone. As long as we do that, we'll stay where we are.

Gainey said it all, really. This team is much more balanced than last year's. (Hamrlik has a huge amount to do with that, and so does the improving youth, and so does Carbo's four-line philosopy: credit where due). We're no longer a joke at even strength. That should prevent a total implosion along the lines of last season's. However, any team relying on youth is liable to blow hot and cold, so none of us should be surprised if we hit some speedbumps in the form of minor slumps. The trouble is that even a minor slump can put you out of the playoffs.

Gainey also said that to make the playoffs the team will need to play even better, especially on faceoffs.

I love what we're seeing this season, namely team that is definitely on track to be a major force in the next couple of seasons. But this season is still a bit of a crapshoot.

And the lack of a strong centre to replace Koivu remains the great, ominous hole in the rebuild. Keep that in mind. :angry:

Time will tell. Certainly we had flashes in the last couple of years, only to falter. But it looks much more like the real deal, and the experience that our youth has gained seems to be showing.

Most of all, what I've liked to see is the "attitude" that we've been showing. You can see more confidence and playing to win, rather that not to lose. The attitude was really great against the Bruins last game. We got up on them, they came back a bit, they got rough and we didnt back down. Komi was a beast and guys like S. Kosts were even throwing hits. We didnt back down at all, and the B's have some big, tough bodies.

Granted, its hard not to have confidence against the B's at this point. But hopefully some of that attitude will transfer to other games against other teams we've struggled against ( Ott, NJ, etc.)

As far as the goon issue goes...I'm a bit split on it. We held our own the other night and the B's wanted to go all night it seemed. We have several guys who will drop them, but mostly d-men. One of those guys seems to be Komi. I look at what happened with O'Byrne and cringe to think we could lose Komi at a crucial time like this. At the same time, I dont want someone who cant play hockey and can only fight. If we can find a defensively responsible, hockey-smart tough guy....I think its a good idea. Or maybe Kostopoulos could take some boxing lessons.

I agree with mostly what you said except for this

Impervious to intimidation despite the lack of a goon.

Just because the habs weren'T intimidated by the Bruins' tough guys doesn'T mean this team doesn't get intimidated sometimes.

For some reason, we seem to be easily intimidated by the god damn Devils and the Hens!

As far as the goon issue goes...I'm a bit split on it. We held our own the other night and the B's wanted to go all night it seemed. We have several guys who will drop them, but mostly d-men. One of those guys seems to be Komi. I look at what happened with O'Byrne and cringe to think we could lose Komi at a crucial time like this. At the same time, I dont want someone who cant play hockey and can only fight. If we can find a defensively responsible, hockey-smart tough guy....I think its a good idea. Or maybe Kostopoulos could take some boxing lessons.

Agreed! It's a tough issue. We want a tough guy who can drop them, but at the same time, we don'T want a tough guy who can't play hockey. And guys who can drop them and play at the same time are extremely rare!

Edited by Habsfan

Yes, I think we're better and just about everywhere, its the influx of quality

youth thats driving us.

And that youth has to be our priority, we need to put it in a position to succeed.

Because of that I think we need quality vets for them to play with. So, where do we

get those quality vets? We have a couple in Streit and Huet, every priority

should be made to re-sign both, If Streit wants to play D, let him replace

Brisebois. Huet mentors Price and we move Halak. Let Ryder walk and sign

Dumont and Laraque. Now, you have the vets to compliment your youth and

all is doable.

Latendresse Koivu SKostitsyn

AKostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev

Higgins Chipchura Dumont

Begin Lapierre Laraque

Kostopolous

Dandenault

Markov Komisarek

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Bouillon Streit

Gorges

Huet

Price

I'd like to see something like that, next year.

I agree with your projected lineup, Ecurb. Dumont would be the perfect replacement for Ryder and we know he wants to come here. That team would fight for home ice advantage year in, year out as long as the young guys keep improving (and they will).

So what do we need to do to make sure our team doesn't collapse in a couple of years?

1. Draft a high-potential centre with our first round pick.

2. Lock up Higgins and Komisarek to 4+ year deals

3. Hang onto our draft picks. We don't really have areas that we need to upgrade without pushing quality players onto our fourth line. With a roster with as much depth as ours, we could win without bringing in an additional 1st line talent. We need to hang on to our picks or else we'll be relying on a house of cards to stand up.

4. Keep the entire management group intact!

Next year, we should see an appearance or two from D'Agostino, Valentenko, Carle and maybe even McDonagh but I'm starting to doubt that. Wow... when the team's winning, you look at our lineup and the team looks amazing. But when we're losing you see holes everywhere.

I agree with your projected lineup, Ecurb. Dumont would be the perfect replacement for Ryder and we know he wants to come here. That team would fight for home ice advantage year in, year out as long as the young guys keep improving (and they will).

So what do we need to do to make sure our team doesn't collapse in a couple of years?

1. Draft a high-potential centre with our first round pick.

2. Lock up Higgins and Komisarek to 4+ year deals

3. Hang onto our draft picks. We don't really have areas that we need to upgrade without pushing quality players onto our fourth line. With a roster with as much depth as ours, we could win without bringing in an additional 1st line talent. We need to hang on to our picks or else we'll be relying on a house of cards to stand up.

4. Keep the entire management group intact!

Next year, we should see an appearance or two from D'Agostino, Valentenko, Carle and maybe even McDonagh but I'm starting to doubt that. Wow... when the team's winning, you look at our lineup and the team looks amazing. But when we're losing you see holes everywhere.

Great minds think alike, but small ones seldom differ :lol:

1. Drafting a high-potential centre I think is doable if we move up in the draft, we might

want to use some of our prospect depth to make that happen. I like Kyle Beach, he

might end up being a Getzlaf type.

2. I'd lock up Plekanec, also.

3. Yup, hang onto our draft picks and try to add more if we can. Our minor league scouting

staff is a really good one, lets keep giving them the tools to restock the farm.

4. You know, I don't like our pro scouting staff, we could really use an upgrade there.

I'd like to see us get Emelin out of Russia. I'd also try to get both McDonagh and Pacioretty

to turn pro and place them with the Bulldogs. If we can also add Maxwell,White,Weber and

Wyman to the Dogs we'll have a great group of prospects all learning to play together and

that'll only help us longterm. :clap:

Great minds think alike, but small ones seldom differ :lol:

1. Drafting a high-potential centre I think is doable if we move up in the draft, we might

want to use some of our prospect depth to make that happen. I like Kyle Beach, he

might end up being a Getzlaf type.

2. I'd lock up Plekanec, also.

3. Yup, hang onto our draft picks and try to add more if we can. Our minor league scouting

staff is a really good one, lets keep giving them the tools to restock the farm.

4. You know, I don't like our pro scouting staff, we could really use an upgrade there.

I'd like to see us get Emelin out of Russia. I'd also try to get both McDonagh and Pacioretty

to turn pro and place them with the Bulldogs. If we can also add Maxwell,White,Weber and

Wyman to the Dogs we'll have a great group of prospects all learning to play together and

that'll only help us longterm. :clap:

Yep, I was going to mention Plekanec there too but I forgot. People tend to only say Higgins and Komisarek as if they are in a class of their own, but I would say that so far, Plekanec has proven even more to me than Higgins has. All three of them deserve 4-5 million x 4 or more.

I don't know about Kyle Beach, he has alleged attitude problems. But this draft is C and D heavy and it's very deep so we may be able to get our hands on something good, especially if we trade up. I wouldn't be opposed to using a 2nd rounder, or even a 1st on a highly projected Russian that is slipping down the draft. With this much depth, we can afford to take those risks.

I have no problem letting guys like Pacioretty, Fischer and McDonagh take their time. If you look at our roster and the guys we have coming up, we're going to have something like 5 or 6 prospects fighting for 1 or 2 spots every year. That might sound great but it means a lot of our guys will fall through the cracks. I think it would be best to have all our best prospects coming in during different years. Next year already seems pretty crowded.

In general, we're on the up-and-up. The youth movement, very subtly done by Gainey (a lot of that is politics: you can't, as GM of the Montreal Canadiens, tank for a couple of years à la Penguins), is starting to play together now in the bigs. There will be more spots open at the end of the year, and we are mid-way through the season, over 50 points, and in a playoff spot for now.

On a not wholly unrelated note, why Carbo is pressuring Higgins to do more offensively, while sticking him with Ryder is farcical. In general, I like Carbo and think he's OK, but this is just stupid. Lapierre is good with Higs, but not an out-and-out playmaker. Carbo says he wants Higgins to play more north-south, like a power forward. Ryder is inept at getting people the puck, so what is Carbo saying? Or is it a roundabout way of telling Bob get Ryder out of here, get a guy who can play-make a bit more, let him centre Ryder and move Lapierre to the off-wing?

Anyway, we'll take a major (further) step forward if we sign up Higs, Komi and Plex long-term. DEFO do not want to see Higs tempted in any way by an offer from the Isles. He is worth overpaying.

I like Ecurb's idea of getting the prospects together by next year - or the season after - with the Dogs.

Edited by tokyohabs

On a not wholly unrelated note, why Carbo is pressuring Higgins to do more offensively, while sticking him with Ryder is farcical. In general, I like Carbo and think he's OK, but this is just stupid. Lapierre is good with Higs, but not an out-and-out playmaker. Carbo says he wants Higgins to play more north-south, like a power forward. Ryder is inept at getting people the puck, so what is Carbo saying? Or is it a roundabout way of telling Bob get Ryder out of here, get a guy who can play-make a bit more, let him centre Ryder and move Lapierre to the off-wing?

I agree. I don't understand Carbo on this one. Poor Higgins, he goes from playing with Saku to playing with Ryder and LaPierre. I like LaPierre, but he doesn't have the skill level that Koivu does.

Why doesn't he play Latendresse with LaPierre (these two love to play together) and move Higgins back with Saku. Those two are comfortable together on the same line. That way everyone will be happy!

Yep, I was going to mention Plekanec there too but I forgot. People tend to only say Higgins and Komisarek as if they are in a class of their own, but I would say that so far, Plekanec has proven even more to me than Higgins has. All three of them deserve 4-5 million x 4 or more.

I don't know about Kyle Beach, he has alleged attitude problems. But this draft is C and D heavy and it's very deep so we may be able to get our hands on something good, especially if we trade up. I wouldn't be opposed to using a 2nd rounder, or even a 1st on a highly projected Russian that is slipping down the draft. With this much depth, we can afford to take those risks.

I have no problem letting guys like Pacioretty, Fischer and McDonagh take their time. If you look at our roster and the guys we have coming up, we're going to have something like 5 or 6 prospects fighting for 1 or 2 spots every year. That might sound great but it means a lot of our guys will fall through the cracks. I think it would be best to have all our best prospects coming in during different years. Next year already seems pretty crowded.

I believe that one of the reasons the Habs have been dipping into the collegiate ranks is it allows you to keep prospects without actually paying them and it gives you added time to assess that talent. Unless one of them is exceptional I imagine they will remain in college for the time being. So I agree with you in that they should take their time with the 3 of them.

The reason Lats doesn't play with lapierre much is balance. Higgins is a young but proven player playing with lapierre, this is a good 2 way line. I agree about needing a different winger with some offensive talent, that will have to come through a trade. Kosto and dandy are 4th liners. Ryder is not doing his part.

Why is Higgins exempt from criticism? He should be more offensive and play North and south. Laps goes to the corners and the front of net, Higgins should be creating more.

Lats, little kosty are playing with Koivu again because of balance. They have 3 pretty effective lines and the 4th shows up sometimes.

I believe that one of the reasons the Habs have been dipping into the collegiate ranks is it allows you to keep prospects without actually paying them and it gives you added time to assess that talent. Unless one of them is exceptional I imagine they will remain in college for the time being. So I agree with you in that they should take their time with the 3 of them.

You guys make valid points about keeping some our our prospects in college.

There is also the 50 player limit, that we can sign to contracts.

But, I think both McDonagh and Pacioretty might be special cases that

can be fast tracked. Fischer will be a longterm project since he needs

to get stronger.

I think Hamilton next year will be short of bodies and they seem to lack

talent this year so an influx of talented prospects might be needed. I like

the idea of getting our top rpospects to play together, ASAP. Build up

some chemistry and let them develope friendships that could aid us in

the future should they become FA's in the NHL. They'll want to play with

their friends.

Maybe this discussion should be in the Prospect Bulldogs section?

Why is Higgins exempt from criticism? He should be more offensive and play North and south. Laps goes to the corners and the front of net, Higgins should be creating more.

Carbo doesn't imply that he should be creating more. He implies that Higgins should be the one powering in at the net. Higgins is not above criticism at all; he redefined his role himself, which led Carbo to blah blah blah.

Unfortunately, Lapierre might not have the talent to feed him consistently. Anyway, who knows, because it is a two-man line thanks to Ryder's 'performance', and asking Lapierre to be a two-way player and Higgins to crash the net leaves an awfully big hole out there on the ice.

• 2 months later...