Should the Habs sign Komisarek long term?

Habsfan84

He is still signed through next year but I would think the Habs would be doing it during this summer.

What do you think his figures will be? He is worth alot in my mind.

He is still signed through next year but I would think the Habs would be doing it during this summer.

They better resign him this summer, cause if bob waits until next year, the Komisarek clan might decide to test the waters...and we don'T want that. Sign him long term (6 to 8 years) at an average of 4 to 4.5 million$ per year. I think Komisarek would accept that kind of deal!

I'm thinking an 8 year contract for 40 million.

He is only going to improve and he is good already.

\

You think Komisarek would sign an 8 year deal? I don't but who knows.

I would think something like 6 years 32-34 million.

Please yes. I think we're only beginning to see more than the tip of the Komi iceberg. He will be a force to contend with for years.

gimme a hells yeah

They better resign him this summer, cause if bob waits until next year, the Komisarek clan might decide to test the waters...and we don'T want that. Sign him long term (6 to 8 years) at an average of 4 to 4.5 million$ per year. I think Komisarek would accept that kind of deal!

Yeah those numbers sound reasonable, he's worth 5, but dammit can we get a good deal here? I definitely wouldn't want to pay him more than 5 mil per year.

He will be a force to contend with for years.

MArk my words, Komisarek will become (some might say he's already becoming) the next Scott Stevens.

I'm thinking an 8 year contract for 40 million.

He is only going to improve and he is good already.

That might be a little too high as a first offer, but I would be comfortable with that.

I'd first offer him 24 million over 6 years, if they refuse, then I'd go with 28 million over 6 years. If they still don't agree...then I'd go with 36 million over 8 years. And finally as a last offer, i throw out a 40 million over 8 years.

Edited by Habsfan

Should the Habs sign Komisarek long term?

Sorry, I'm confused. Dont you mean shouldnt the Habbs have signed him long term already? Thats should be the actual question.

Of course the Habs should resign him, but now its kinda too late. Komi should have been signed long term when he signed the 2 yr deal he is currently in. The blunder could end up costing the Habs both Komi and Higgs. What kind of RFA offer sheet do you think either player could get?

Does anybody know if Bob has changed his mind aboot contract negotiations during the season? He might better reconsider. The Habs haved quite a few players that I can only imagine that other teams would love to poach with crazy high offers the Habs would never be able to match.

MArk my words, Komisarek will become (some might say he's already becoming) the next Scott Stevens.

That might be a little too high as a first offer, but I would be comfortable with that.

I'd first offer him 24 million over 6 years, if they refuse, then I'd go with 28 million over 6 years. If they still don't agree...then I'd go with 36 million over 8 years. And finally as a last offer, i throw out a 40 million over 8 years.

Physically yes but he will never be the player Stevens was.

I like the look of that, especially 8 years for 36 mil. Or maybe 38, try to keep it under 5 per season. But it definitely wouldn't be the end of the world if it was at 5 per, but much more than that would be bad, we need space for forwards!

i hope some of the young guy take hometeam pay cuts, to stay with the team and so we could build a great team, so i hope he takes 5 year deal for 20m and bob offer higgins the same thing to prove he want to keep the team together..cross my fingers.....

4-5M x 4+ years (any number over 4 works, really)

Don't be surprised if he makes more money than we're expecting, though his agent doesn't have much bargaining power because Komisarek's offensive numbers are usually very low (though you can be sure he brings up the fact that he leads the league in hits and blocked shots). Because it's Gainey and he likes to pay a bit more than market value, I expect 5.5M x 4.

Physically yes but he will never be the player Stevens was.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that he'll ever be the physical presence that Scott Stevens was. Komi lays some nice hits from time to time, but Scott Stevens had murder on his mind each and every time he threw a hit. Komisarek just doesn't have a mean streak that wide, unfortunately. That being said, he's pretty darned good...and he's likely to get better. I'd lock him up long term.

Edited by sbhatt

I think someone will offer him a 6m / year offer sheet, with a view of making him Captain, etc., etc.

Be interesting to see if we match, or if Bob thinks someone like one of the Russians can fill the same role.

Personally I'd match - the salary cap will most likely go up anyways.

4-5M x 4+ years (any number over 4 works, really)

Don't be surprised if he makes more money than we're expecting, though his agent doesn't have much bargaining power because Komisarek's offensive numbers are usually very low (though you can be sure he brings up the fact that he leads the league in hits and blocked shots). Because it's Gainey and he likes to pay a bit more than market value, I expect 5.5M x 4.

Yeah, I hate how Gainey does that, it adds up to one less impact player under the cap. I hope he doesn't give him that much.

I think someone will offer him a 6m / year offer sheet, with a view of making him Captain, etc., etc.

The whole idea is that we sign him before he becomes a free agent.

Be interesting to see if we match, or if Bob thinks someone like one of the Russians can fill the same role.

Personally I'd match - the salary cap will most likely go up anyways.

I hope to God Gainey does not let it get to that point.

And actually it can not because he will be a UFA at the end of his contract not an RFA.

Edited by JMMR

OK, UFA then.

Of course we should re-sign him before he gets close to UFA status - meaning, I guess, either signing him in the summer, or at worst during the early part of the season?

I think he'll command a 5- to 6-m salary, is what I'm saying - especially if he keeps improving this year and really takes the bull by the horns for the playoff run / playoffs. I also think it will end up closer to 6. Of course, we all have no idea what his value is to the dressing room; it might be well worth it on the Habs part to pay him, get him long-term, keep him happy.

God forbid we get into a Campbell situation, where it feels like now the Blunts will be forced to trade him (I think us or the Siberian-Mongol league would be good trade-partner options for them, by the way).

I'm thinking long term but 4-5 mil / season.

and I have to say that about he and Higgins getting identical deals (not sure who said it but I get the impression some were suggesting it), I don't really think that's fair to komi. Both are great team guys, both are key to the core of the team, and I'd like them to get similar deals, but as it stands now, Komi is DEFINITELY more valuable to the team than higgins. He plays more minutes, he plays against the other team's best players, and he puts up the best numbers in the league for *his* kind of numbers (hits, shots blocked). Komi's probably worth a few more 100 K a year than Higgins. I'd sign them to the same number of years though, if they agreed, so that they'd know we want to keep them both as long as each other...

Actually he's third in the league for Bodychecks/hits. He's first in the legue for blocked shots.

I think he'll command a 5- to 6-m salary, is what I'm saying

Calm down boys. A few of you are getting ahead of yourselves. 5.5 to 6 million$ per year for Komisarek??? :o :?- Are you guys nuts or what??

AS much As I love Komisarek (he's my favourite player on this team) i don't think he's worth more than Markov...in fact I don't think he's in the same category as Markov. Blocking shots and giving bodychecks is one thing, but it's not worth as much as scoring goals, and being the GENERAL on the Blue Line like Markov is.

The whole idea is that we sign him before he becomes a free agent.

I just hope Bob manages to close deals with Komi, Higgins and Plex before the end of next summer(summer 2008)...cause if he manages to fv.ck up our chances of re-signing any one of these three youngsters...I'm gonna be asking for Bob's head on a platter.

I get the feeling that Bob will review his idea of NOT negotiating during the season.

Edited by Habsfan

I think he'd sign long term for 3.5 - 4 M per

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he'd sign for 3.5. Outside chance at 4-ish. I think his agent is going to be looking for at least 4.5