Game Thread | Habs vs. Blue Jackets | 23/02/08

Cataclaw

Looking at the game stats, you would think the Habs were all over them. Habs outshot outhit, took less penalties, less give aways and more takeaways.

First two goals were soft, especialy the 2nd on, but Columbus is way more defensive than I was expecting. Foote was a beast, as was Nash. Leclaire was OK, but it was his team that collapsed and kept all the shots to the outside or sharp angle. All the good passes were deflected. I was quite impressed with the play of Columbus. Their PK was brilliant. I'd like to get mad at the Habs, but with the exception of Price's blunders, the Habs didn't lose this game, but the Jackets won it. I bet Carbo watches some tape next time the boys play a team that they never play.

Edited by BCHabnut

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the replays on the goals.

Goal 1 was a cross ice pass that the D should not have allowed, no goalie is stopping that.

Goal 2 was a stinker...5 hole, no excuse.

Goal 3 was a toss up who was at fault but it was irrelevant.

NEVER in the history of the NHL has a team won a game scoring ZERO goals. Blaming the goalie for this loss is nothing more than grasping at straws!

Halak is not the answer, more grasping at straws. Halak had his chance to shine last year and was average at best posting 10-6 and played a few awful games. Halak is 5-3 since back in the AHL, not spectacular. Price and Huet need to step up for sure, but please don't blame either when their team can't score even one goal!

Ya I guess you are right about the first goal. Price played the rule of thumb that the goalie plays the shooter and the defender covers the pass. Price was wasy out of position to play that pass though. As I said in my previous post, blamig Price is futile. CBJ was the dominant team tonight.

THIS TEAM NEEDS A FREAKIN SHUTDOWN LINE.

Looking at the game stats, you would think the Habs were all over them. First two goals were soft, especialy the 2nd on, but Columbus is way more defensive than I was expecting. Foote was a beast, as was Nash. Leclaire was OK, but it was his team that collapsed and kept all the shots to the outside or sharp angle. All the good passes were deflected. I was quite impressed with the play of Columbus. Their PK was brilliant. I'd like to get mad at the Habs, but with the exception of Price's blunders, the Habs didn't lose this game, but the Jackets won it. I bet Carbo watches some tpe next time the boys play a team that they never play.

Yeah, at one point Pednault rattled off a bunch of stats, how we massively outhit and outshot and (if I remember right) even out-faceoff'd them. It's one of those games, you can't fall behind against a club like that. They're tight as a drum and they're desperate.

It's not time to panic, and as I've said before, getting all mad at a rookie for not being perfect is ridiculous. If I'm Carbo, I focus my team on the last two periods, in which we played well; I make the point of how imperative it is that the Habs NOT fall back into the habit of playing only 40 minutes a night (in this case, snoozing for the first period); and I come back with Huet with my fingers crossed, because Price is clearly no Ken Dryden at this stage.

The kid's a rookie. Expecting him to play a hermetic game like Marty Brodeur is a bit rich. Frankly, responsibility for leading us to the playoffs - or for stumbling as of late - has to fall on Huet. He is the number one guy, he's making the big buck, and he's the dude who will get a big fat UFA contract at year's end (and the sad fact is that even if he sucks ass from here to season's end, some idiot GM will still give him a bloated contract). Any help Price offers has to be viewed as a bonus, much like Halak's play last season or Huet's the year before.

Come back with Huet. If he fails again, then you think very seriously about Halak.

Huet is not playing like a starter, the job has always been his but he's just not stepping up to the plate. He has sucked his last 4 or 5 outings...he seems terrified a 20 year old rookie is breathing down his neck, he's been given plenty of chances of late and blown every one..what does it say about him when Carbo is FORCED to go with a hot and cold 20 year old rookie? Time to step up and actually EARN your 3 mil salary Mr. Huet!

Goal 1 was a cross ice pass that the D should not have allowed, no goalie is stopping that.

NEVER in the history of the NHL has a team won a game scoring ZERO goals. Blaming the goalie for this loss is nothing more than grasping at straws!

Halak is not the answer, more grasping at straws. Halak had his chance to shine last year and was average at best posting 10-6 and played a few awful games. Halak is 5-3 since back in the AHL, not spectacular. Price and Huet need to step up for sure, but please don't blame either when their team can't score even one goal!

I disagree on the cross ice feed. He froze, he did not move laterally at all. Then he gave a weak wave at it.

He does not need to play the pass to come across, Nash did not exactly release it like Brett Hull.

Lecalire got across all night and when the Habs hesitated for half a second he was in position.

Price was never going to be in position, he hesitated, then made a desperation lunge.

You can give him a pass, but seeing as his bread and butter is his quick lateral movement and positioning, it was a bad goal for him.

And I don't know about you but 10-6 is a .625 winning percentage which would get you around 100 pts. As is 5-3.

I am not saying Halak is the answer, but sooner or later you have to get rid of the tunnel vision with Price and give the kid a shot.

Yeah, at one point Pednault rattled off a bunch of stats, how we massively outhit and outshot and (if I remember right) even out-faceoff'd them. It's one of those games, you can't fall behind against a club like that. They're tight as a drum and they're desperate.

It's not time to panic, and as I've said before, getting all mad at a rookie for not being perfect is ridiculous. If I'm Carbo, I focus my team on the last two periods, in which we played well; I make the point of how imperative it is that the Habs NOT fall back into the habit of playing only 40 minutes a night (in this case, snoozing for the first period); and I come back with Huet with my fingers crossed, because Price is clearly no Ken Dryden at this stage.

I agree, just because Price was weak does not mean he is to blame.

In the long run, this is on the vets, nobody else.

Those game stats were behind last years team, which we all agree was nowhere near this years. He played very well down the stretch and hasn't been given a fair shot yet this year. When he did play what fault did he show? He was perfect against Ny and let one in vs Carolina. Not a bad 2 periods.What do we have to lose but a couple points? What would the gains be if he stole the spot with solid play. We don't need miracles, just no more softies. They deflate the team, which leads to being shutout. How do the guys keep there spirits up when they are always down a couple early by sketchy goaltending? Price is not there yet, Halak is a little older, maybe, just maybe?

I disagree on the cross ice feed. He froze, he did not move laterally at all. Then he gave a weak wave at it.

He does not need to play the pass to come across, Nash did not exactly release it like Brett Hull.

Lecalire got across all night and when the Habs hesitated for half a second he was in position.

Price was never going to be in position, he hesitated, then made a desperation lunge.

You can give him a pass, but seeing as his bread and butter is his quick lateral movement and positioning, it was a bad goal for him.

Like I said, I think that Price was trying so hard to live up to his reputation of making it look like he isn't trying that he forgot to try. It can happen sometimes, when someone is known for doing something, he will love to live up to his reputation, he might even go out of his way to do so.

Those game stats were behind last years team, which we all agree was nowhere near this years. He played very well down the stretch and hasn't been given a fair shot yet this year. When he did play what fault did he show? He was perfect against Ny and let one in vs Carolina. Not a bad 2 periods.What do we have to lose but a couple points? What would the gains be if he stole the spot with solid play. We don't need miracles, just no more softies. They deflate the team, which leads to being shutout. How do the guys keep there spirits up when they are always down a couple early by sketchy goaltending? Price is not there yet, Halak is a little older, maybe, just maybe?

The only problem is the Habs are worried about shaking Price's confidence.

The thing with Huet is, he's never played more than 42 games in one season. They rode him hard for an extended stretch there, and he may be hitting the wall. Nonetheless, he wants to be a #1 and he does need to suck it up and deliver.

Hindsight is 20/20, but in the case of Price, Carbo rather than Gainey may have been correct...it might have been wiser to let him get a full pro season under his belt and go instead with a Huet/Halak tandem. Halak deserved that chance; we'd have a better read on his capacity to play well over a whole season; and then we could have gone with Halak as #1A to Price next season. Oh, well, spilled milk.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The thing with Huet is, he's never played more than 42 games in one season. They rode him hard for an extended stretch there, and he may be hitting the wall. Nonetheless, he wants to be a #1 and he does need to suck it up and deliver.

It is amazing to me that he can't be counted on for more than 42 games. I was worried about that when they

rode him hard and did not give Halak a game. I hope he can turn it around because this team does not need

Theo type goaltending to win anymore, they just need a guy who makes the saves he is supposed to make.

Hindsight is 20/20, but in the case of Price, Carbo rather than Gainey may have been correct...it might have been wiser to let him get a full pro season under his belt and go instead with a Huet/Halak tandem. Halak deserved that chance; we'd have a better read on his capacity to play well over a whole season; and then we could have gone with Halak as #1A to Price next season. Oh, well, spilled milk.

But if Halak was inconsistent what do they do with Huet next year? They would have no idea if Price would be ready. I don't think it changes anything.

The situation would be the same, unless you believe Price would be fully ready from one season in the AHL. It would still be a risk.

Edited by Wamsley01

And I don't know about you but 10-6 is a .625 winning percentage which would get you around 100 pts. As is 5-3.

I am not saying Halak is the answer, but sooner or later you have to get rid of the tunnel vision with Price and give the kid a shot.

Like I said, he committed to the shooter, but the defender did not play the 2nd guy. i was tought this in mini pups.

It is amazing to me that he can't be counted on for more than 42 games. I was worried about that when they

rode him hard and did not give Halak a game. I hope he can turn it around because this team does not need

Theo type goaltending to win anymore, they just need a guy who makes the saves he is supposed to make.

But if Halak was inconsistent what do they do with Huet next year? They would have no idea if Price would be ready.

Halak will be a non issue by Tuesday. He will be traded.

Like I said, he committed to the shooter, but the defender did not play the 2nd guy. i was tought this in mini pups.

Halak will be a non issue by Tuesday. He will be traded.

NHL goalies should not commit to a shooter so much so that they can't get across on a 40 foot pass where both shooters

are at terrible angles.

I don't tend to blame goalies alone for losses. But this has been 3 straight games of very mediocre net minding.

That will not cut it. Just because somebody scores on an open net does not mean the goalie had no chance.

Goalies are responsible for their positioning, puck tracking, their cross crease push, their anticipation etc.

He read the play poorly, he overcommited to the shooter and he got zero cross crease push. That is 3 mistakes on one play.

So I fail to see how he is blameless on the play. He is a kid, he is learning but the teams needs better goaltending.

The habs have placed him in this position and if he fails it is on them, not Price.

He is inconsistent like ALL 20 year old goalies. But the fact is, the first 2 goals were poor. If you disagree that is fine.

But I will continue to maintain that they were bad goals.

Edited by Wamsley01

Carey Price stunk tonight....we're in deep with two goalies who can't get their act together right now.

Saku Koivu was back to being a U.L.B. : TWO offensive zone penalites is unacceptable...he should have been benched after the second one.

Pascal Leclaire played great...not much you can do about that.

Kovy was solid again tonight...but we need another guy who can be counted on to be that solid on most nights. Bob, for the love of God, if you've got a deal in the works...pull that trigger A.S.A.P!!!

When he put his hand up in the air after the weak goal last game, and the the self anger vanished before he broke his stick, I felt he had lost his edge. May be the amount of games or the resignation that he is looked at as a starter only until the kid is ready.We have created little monsters in both goalies minds. It is causing brain farts and thus weak goals. It is so ripe for Halak to come in and be the guy. He has nothing to lose. This doubt hasn't been planted. What we may be forgetting around here is one of our key strengths is depth in goal! We have to use it. Either trade Huet, or sit Price down and explain "maybe next year" to him. He is mature and will continue to develope in AHL. I prefer if he stays up and we go with a tandem with Halak, giving Halak a chance at the spot on day one or making it Prices to lose. Either way, the current mind melt is gone.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

When he put his hand up in the air after the weak goal last game, and the the self anger vanished before he broke his stick, I felt he had lost his edge. May be the amount of games or the resignation that he is looked at as a starter only until the kid is ready.We have created little monsters in both goalies minds. It is causing brain farts and thus weak goals. It is so ripe for Halak to come in and be the guy. He has nothing to lose. This doubt hasn't been planted. What we may be forgetting around here is one of our key strengths is depth in goal! We have to use it. Either trade Huet, or sit Price down and explain "maybe next year" to him. He is mature and will continue to develope in AHL. I prefer if he stays up and we go with a tandem with Halak, giving Halak a chance at the spot on day one.

Well, if it is 'creating monsters' to tell players they have to produce, there's something wrong to begin with. I didn't see Patrick Roy nervously looking over his shoulder because the highly-touted David Aebischer was being brought up.

OK we have had 3 terrible games in a row on defense and goal... 12 goals against. Wow !

Time to tighten up because a slide now would take us into 10th place quick.

The goalies haven't helped the players at all by giving up some very bad goals, it's a mental game and the rangers win is a fluke.

Gainey better make a move because some nights we don't even look like a playoff team ... so sad.

Edited by jrhabs

NHL goalies should not commit to a shooter so much so that they can't get across on a 40 foot pass where both shooters

are at terrible angles.

I don't tend to blame goalies alone for losses. But this has been 3 straight games of very mediocre net minding.

That will not cut it. Just because somebody scores on an open net does not mean the goalie had no chance.

Goalies are responsible for their positioning, puck tracking, their cross crease push, their anticipation etc.

He read the play poorly, he overcommited to the shooter and he got zero cross crease push. That is 3 mistakes on one play.

So I fail to see how he is blameless on the play. He is a kid, he is learning but the teams needs better goaltending.

The habs have placed him in this position and if he fails it is on them, not Price.

He is inconsistent like ALL 20 year old goalies. But the fact is, the first 2 goals were poor. If you disagree that is fine.

But I will continue to maintain that they were bad goals.

You're absolutely right. That was poor goaltending on the first two goals. I also believe that it's quite understandable given his age. IMO, he is not ready, that's all.

I won't blame management either. He looked ready at the beginning of the season. After all, he proved himself in the AHL last year. Nobody could anticipate what's going on right now.

OK we have had 3 terrible games in a row on defense and goal... 12 goals against. Wow !

Time to tighten up because a slide now would take us into 10th place quick.

The goalies haven't helped the players at all by giving up some very bad goals, it's a mental game and the rangers win is a fluke.

Gainey better make a move because some nights we don't even look like a playoff team ... so sad.

Remember that Phil Collins album, No Jacket Required? We need Bob's face superimposed over Phil's, with the logo: NO PANIC REQUIRED.

Build on the last two periods. Erratic defensive coverage for 20 minutes per game and questionable netminding are our current problems. The former is a matter for the coaches to address, and the latter has to come from the players we've got. Blowing things up wpn't help a bit.

Carey Price stunk tonight....we're in deep with two goalies who can't get their act together right now.

Saku Koivu was back to being a U.L.B. : TWO offensive zone penalites is unacceptable...he should have been benched after the second one.

Pascal Leclaire played great...not much you can do about that.

Kovy was solid again tonight...but we need another guy who can be counted on to be that solid on most nights. Bob, for the love of God, if you've got a deal in the works...pull that trigger A.S.A.P!!!

There has been much pressure on Higgins and Ryder this year, but the real problem is Koivu. It reminds me of the Donut Line, except that this time the winger are not Shutt and Lafleur, but Higgins and Ryder (or Sergei). Koivu is simply not able to find his wingers. And when he does, the pass is in the skates most of the time.

That's why I would give a chance to Grabovsky. I feel that he might be ready to play centre with two good wingers.

LOL, Price is the kid. Seriously, if people insist on dumping on a goalie (I don't), dump on the 3 million dollar man who isn't cutting it not the rookie. Why is Huet so bulletproof here? If he wasn't sucking so badly Price would be riding the pines. Don't blame the work in progress, blame our "go to guy" who's clearly gone south.

There has been much pressure on Higgins and Ryder this year, but the real problem is Koivu. It reminds me of the Donut Line, except that this time the winger are not Shutt and Lafleur, but Higgins and Ryder (or Sergei). Koivu is simply not able to find his wingers. And when he does, the pass is in the skates most of the time.

That's why I would give a chance to Grabovsky. I feel that he might be ready to play centre with two good wingers.

Hoo boy. Dumping Koivu onto the 4th line in favour of Grabovsky, that's a real panic statement to this team at this moment. Forget it. Certain players - Koivu and Huet especially - simply have to play better. There's no magic bullet. It's as simple as that.