Kovalev is one of the important missing keys?

REV-G

For me, one of the missing key components this year is Alex Kovalev. Watching him this year does not remind me of him last year, but of two years ago, when everyone was frustrated with him and many expected or wanted him not to return the following year, because it seemed like he was just going through the motions.

This year I see him turning the puck over a lot, getting stopped at the blue line and rarely is he setting up crisp passing plays that result in goals as he did last year. It seems that he has lost some of the fire to succeed that he had last year.

After 19 games he has 5 goals, 9 assists and his plus-minus is at 0. Those are poor numbers for him as we're getting close to December. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the team is playing a lot like Alex, maybe outside of Koivu, Tanguay and Markov. I think last year he set the tone for our team. His work ethic, on-ice leadership and drive led our team. I see a lot of that missing this year.

Maybe it's time for Gainey to have another talk with Kovalev about his future, the way he did during the summer of 2007, and the result was a man on fire for much of last year, which I think was one of the big keys for our team last year.

If Alex is just going through the motions, living off of last years success, we might be in trouble. When Kovalev starts playing the way he did last year, our team will catch fire, and his linemates will begin to pick up where they left off last year. I believe getting Alex going again is one of the big keys for our team right now.

Kovy, Plex, A Kost are all struggling a LOT.

Maybe putting them back together would help? Just a thought.

Carbo has to make Kovalev understand that he cannot do everything by himself and should use his two talented teammates

on the other hand, if AK27 was traded maybe the other would work harder instead of waiting.

I love the guy but he' showed bad leadership thus far.

Plekanec and Kostitsyn have been playing better recently, all they need is to play with Higgins.

We just need to wait on Kovalev, he's going to start scoring eventually. Moving Markov back to his old spot on the PP will do a lot in getting Kovy some points. So will getting him off that stupid 13-11-27 line.

Heading into last year, I thought one of the keys to Montreal's success would be to start to learn how to win without relying on Alex. Well, he had a year no one could've forseen and Montreal didn't have a choice but to win because of him. It looks like that winning without relying on Alex could be this year's dilemma... Someone new needs to step up and become the primary cog on this team.

i think the fact that we've been struggling defensively and having about just Markov who can push back a good attack from our zone really striked for offensive players like A Kost Plek and Kovy.

the fact that we struggle defensively and especially in our transition game also hurts players like them and other trios. Look how widely spreaded the forwards are because we struggle defensively....they spend a good time of their time into the defensive zone instead of neutral and attack zone....they have less time possession than before.

I think Kovy will be just fine with his good upsides and downsides as soon as we polish and execute the transition game better....

The question is: Are the Habs struggling because Kovalev is trying to do to much, or is Kovalev trying to do too much because the Habs are struggling.

I think it's a little bit of both. Let's not forget that Kovy isnt' the only one who's struggling. After a great start, Markov is having

a tough time without Komisarek. He looks lie he's nonchalant out there. SOft passes, doesn'T want to shoot etc...

The whole team is struggling at the moment...but if they can get out of it soon enough, this "slump" will not have been too bad, as they haven't lost 3 games in row yet!

There's lot of deceptions aside from Kovy. Maybe he dragged AKost & Plex down with him because both have took a dip. SKost also struggled for most of the season so far. Ditto for Higgins even though he missed some time because of his injury.

Koivu, Tangs & Markov have carried the offense most of the season, with Lang & Lats chipping in.

Hopefully that new line of AKost-Lang-Kosto continues to perform. When Lats comes back he can rejoin Saks & Tangs to give us 2 reliable lines. We'll only have to wait to see if Higgy & Plex can get Kovy going... or the other way around. SKost suddenly ends up outside the top 3 lines.

I have consistently maintained, even during last season, that Kovalev should not be re-signed if the cap situation is tight (as all indicators say it will be). His play so far leads me to the more radical conclusion that we should think seriously about trading him before the deadline, so as to avoid losing him for nothing. Moving him might free up space for Sundin, assuming that jerk can ever make up his mind; or it might get us back a decent asset, either in the form of a decent pick or some useful missing ingredient (e.g., a 4th defenceman). It represents good asset management. And it might also put an end to this situation of many of the young players seemingly waiting around for Kovy to take the lead, inviting them to finally, once and for all, take charge of the team.

Don't mistake me. I LOVE Kovalev. He is one of those maddening, gloriously impenetrable enigmas that add a lot of humour and entertainment and massive talent to the sport. Nonetheless, the choice is likely either to trade him now or lose him for nothing after this season. If he shows no sign of a turnaround pretty soon, I start shopping him around and take my chances with the young bloods + whatever we get back for Kovy in this, the "Big Year."

It's probably a very good thing that the Canadiens are struggling at this point of the season. We finished first in the conference last year despite playing somewhat poor hockey in general, and being saved mostly by our powerplay and Kovalev's individual efforts. We went into the playoffs thinking it was enough... only to find out that we were completely unprepared and nowhere near ready to make a genuine run for the Cup.

Unfortunately we came into this season exactly the same way, and our depth and skill level were enough to give us a very strong start. Meanwhile other teams fine tuned their lineup, system, and strategies, and this combined to our luck running out lead to this slump. Hopefully this slump will humble Guy Carbonneau, and make him realize that hockey has changed over the last 12-15 years; skill and strong work ethics are now the norm and no longer a huge factor, the players are much bigger, faster, stronger, and technically better that the main differentiating factor is now how well the players play as a group, and how well prepared a team is against their opponents.

The entire team, players and coaches included, needed a wake-up call, and this is the best possible time to get one. I would rather lose a few points and even ranks in the standings during the regular season if it means that this team will bond more, start playing much better as a whole, and be much better prepared for the playoffs.

I have consistently maintained, even during last season, that Kovalev should not be re-signed if the cap situation is tight (as all indicators say it will be). His play so far leads me to the more radical conclusion that we should think seriously about trading him before the deadline, so as to avoid losing him for nothing. Moving him might free up space for Sundin, assuming that jerk can ever make up his mind; or it might get us back a decent asset, either in the form of a decent pick or some useful missing ingredient (e.g., a 4th defenceman). It represents good asset management. And it might also put an end to this situation of many of the young players seemingly waiting around for Kovy to take the lead, inviting them to finally, once and for all, take charge of the team.

Don't mistake me. I LOVE Kovalev. He is one of those maddening, gloriously impenetrable enigmas that add a lot of humour and entertainment and massive talent to the sport. Nonetheless, the choice is likely either to trade him now or lose him for nothing after this season. If he shows no sign of a turnaround pretty soon, I start shopping him around and take my chances with the young bloods + whatever we get back for Kovy in this, the "Big Year."

Kovalev has a partial No Trade Clause. He has to approve any deal to a Western Conference team up until Jan 31/09, though he can be traded to an Eastern team at any point. From February onwards, he could be traded out West without his consent.

This list of NTC/NMC's hasn't been updated/pruned for a little bit, but here's the source regardless:

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Smolinski is obviously no longer a habs, and Tanguay shouldn't be listed there because he waived his NTC to come here. Once you waive it once, you don't get it back. So this means after Feb. 1, the only player with a full NTC on the Habs is Koivu, as Hamrlik's goes from a full NTC to a partial one, likely based on pre-specified teams like Samsonov had and Markov and Laraque have.

Kovalev has a partial No Trade Clause. He has to approve any deal to a Western Conference team up until Jan 31/09, though he can be traded to an Eastern team at any point. From February onwards, he could be traded out West without his consent.

This list of NTC/NMC's hasn't been updated/pruned for a little bit, but here's the source regardless:

http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm

Smolinski is obviously no longer a habs, and Tanguay shouldn't be listed there because he waived his NTC to come here. Once you waive it once, you don't get it back. So this means after Feb. 1, the only player with a full NTC on the Habs is Koivu, as Hamrlik's goes from a full NTC to a partial one, likely based on pre-specified teams like Samsonov had and Markov and Laraque have.

Very interesting. I didn't know about that bit in Kovy's contract. Thanks. On the other hand, my original point stands. It just means we'd have to wait another two months before acting, assuming that we don't want to deal Kovalev in the East, and that Kovy has no interest in being dealt west.

Kovy is definitely a big problem. When the highest skilled guy, a vet, and a leader is sucking, the whole team feels it.

One thing to ponder... perhaps Pleks and AK are not as good as you think. Kovalev was awesome last year and imo, made everyone around him better then they were. If Kovalev magically disappeared, I think you would be disappointed in Pleks and AK. They can't replicate last year's performance on their own. They had the benefit of playing with one of the best players in the league last year.

The real question is, can we get that Kovalev back this year? I am not sure who could replace him besides Sundin. (Sundin is different beast, but he definitely brings a ton to the table and paired with decent guys like Pleks and AK, Sundin would be in heaven compared to TO).

Kovy is definitely a big problem. When the highest skilled guy, a vet, and a leader is sucking, the whole team feels it.

One thing to ponder... perhaps Pleks and AK are not as good as you think. Kovalev was awesome last year and imo, made everyone around him better then they were. If Kovalev magically disappeared, I think you would be disappointed in Pleks and AK. They can't replicate last year's performance on their own. They had the benefit of playing with one of the best players in the league last year.

The real question is, can we get that Kovalev back this year? I am not sure who could replace him besides Sundin. (Sundin is different beast, but he definitely brings a ton to the table and paired with decent guys like Pleks and AK, Sundin would be in heaven compared to TO).

Or it might simply be that Kovalev constantly giving puck possesion away with his dumb, unproductive individual plays is making his linemates look pretty bad, including Koivu and Tanguay recently. I've alaways maintained that Kovalev's streaky production is mostly due to a lack of hockey sense, and not a lack of effort as most suggest. The guy has elite physical skills, there's no doubt about it, however he's never learned how to use then efficiently in order to become a genuine, constant impact player.

First, I'd trade Kovy for Sundin in a heartbeat. Sundin has fewer raw gifts but twice the consistency and steady leadership.

Second, if Pleks and AK are not as good as we think, then we're in deep doo-doo anyway, because Kovy is highly unlikely to be back after this season, given cap constraints etc.. So we might as well find out what those guys are made of sooner rather than later. That both were considered blue-chip youngsters before they played with Kovalev at least suggests that they will not suddenly suck ass; I have faith in the basic soundness of both players, frankly, and think they'd do better in the long run if they stopped deferring to Kovalev.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Kovy is highly unlikely to be back after this season, given cap constraints etc

If you're implying that we wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap, that isn't true. We'll have enough cap space to keep all of Komisarek, Tanguay, Kovalev and Koivu together and still give Higgins & Co their raises. If we fail to re-sign Kovalev it will be because he doesn't want to return or because Gainey doesn't want him back.

The question is: Are the Habs struggling because Kovalev is trying to do to much, or is Kovalev trying to do too much because the Habs are struggling.

Very good way of seeing it Fanpuck33.

I think it's probably your first option.

Koivu, Tangs & Markov have carried the offense most of the season, with Lang & Lats chipping in.

Latendresse isn't chipping in with goals or points either, not much better than guys like Plekanec, etc. I'm sure he gives much better effort right now than most of the top guns on our team but in the end he isn't much more productive.

Todays goals were scored by Bégin, Gorges and Lapierre ... where are the big guys like Kovalev? It seems like our so-called first line from last season is already a memory of the past. I dunno what Kovi, Kostitsyn & Co. need to get them going ... anyways it's still early in the season and they will find a way out of their slump soon! ^_^

If you're implying that we wouldn't be able to fit him under the cap, that isn't true. We'll have enough cap space to keep all of Komisarek, Tanguay, Kovalev and Koivu together and still give Higgins & Co their raises. If we fail to re-sign Kovalev it will be because he doesn't want to return or because Gainey doesn't want him back.

Interesting. I'll defer to your analysis because I hate numbers, but I wonder if you're too optimistic. This is a league where Wade Redden makes $6 mil. Considering that we're already near the cap and that the cap may well go down the year after next, it would probably be imprudent for the Habs to expect to sign everyone of value this summer. If that's right, then Kovy will indeed be gone, as much as a result of financial necessity as indifference.

Interesting. I'll defer to your analysis because I hate numbers, but I wonder if you're too optimistic. This is a league where Wade Redden makes $6 mil. Considering that we're already near the cap and that the cap may well go down the year after next, it would probably be imprudent for the Habs to expect to sign everyone of value this summer. If that's right, then Kovy will indeed be gone, as much as a result of financial necessity as indifference.

It depends what you expect each player to make. I can't see any of Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev getting a raise of more than a million dollars, if that. Komisarek's raise will be the only major cost to cover and Lang alone will do that. Then we can let go of Dandenault (1.75) and Bouillon (1.825), ... so there is some hope yet. My guess is that we'll have room to keep everyone together unless Kovalev has ridiculous contract demands.

It depends what you expect each player to make. I can't see any of Koivu, Tanguay and Kovalev getting a raise of more than a million dollars, if that. Komisarek's raise will be the only major cost to cover and Lang alone will do that. Then we can let go of Dandenault (1.75) and Bouillon (1.825), ... so there is some hope yet. My guess is that we'll have room to keep everyone together unless Kovalev has ridiculous contract demands.

I figure that the following lineup would cost us about 43 millions next season, not including reserve players:

Latendresse-Plekanec-A.Kostsitsyn

Pacioretty-Maxwell-S.Kostsitsyn

Higgins-Chipchura-(D'Agostini/White)

Stewart-Lapierre-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Gorges-(Valentenko/Weber/Carle)

Price

Halak

Obviously this is not what the organization is aiming for, but it’s a pretty good base. That would leave us perhaps 8-12 millions in cap space to sign 1 or 2 more established players to solidify the roster, and make a run at a 26th Stanley Cup with back-to-back championships ;).

The question really is whether we want to resign Kovalev, Koivu, and/or Tanguay. While getting rid of so many key roster players at once is always risky, this is not exactly a strong group of impact players. Personally I do not wish to see Kovalev in Montreal after this season, I’ve explained why several times, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that he’s unreliable, and now aging. I seem to be the only one, but I’m not impressed with Alex Tanguay, he’s pretty much exactly what I was expecting: a follower with very good skills. In my opinion, we have plenty of skilled wingers to complete other players, what we need are leaders on the ice that make these guys look great. As for Koivu, I have a lot of respect for him, but it might be time for a new era in Montreal, although I wouldn’t be against the idea of resigning him for cheaper, and into a reduced role.

However there won’t be a whole lot of great free agents next summer, at least not once the best ones such as the Sedins and Zetterberg get extensions before the end of this season. I can see Hossa, Gaborik, and Havlat available, and a few other lesser quality players and/or question such as Cammalleri, Connelly, Cole, and maybe Franzen (would this guy look good outside of Detroit?).