Habs vs. Islanders | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

The team scored three goals and had a lead with a few minutes left....they did their job. O'Byrne didn't do his job.

Unfortunately balls does not equal ability.

That team that scored 3 goals includes O'Byrne. You don't subtract him from that.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The team scored three goals and had a lead with a few minutes left....they did their job. O'Byrne didn't do his job.

Grinders scored three goals. We let a weak team claw their way back into the game, inside of turning on the killer instinct. Even after the O'Byrne gaffe, we had opportunities to score, but no one stepped up.

Also, maybe not, but confidence and hard work can trump pure skill that isn't utilized. But that wasn't my point.

No, but it does speak of character. He could have ran away, he could have ignored them. Instead he sucked it up in front of all his teammates & 20 microphones and told it how it was. Even the pundits said that takes a lot aren't calling for his head.

I understand your passion for the team, and your disappointment, but taking the high road isn't the way. As many others, not just here, but in the media who aren't the equivalent of tabloid know there's others who share the blame.

The good news after all of this is that the Habs have played 20 games. The last 10 were horrible (9 points in 10 games) and the boys are still in 5th in the conference. I am getting sick of waiting for them to snap out of it, but from what I have noticed, the last four games have been an improvement. There are a lot of missed open nets, and the Kovy line is still out of sync, but, I remember gettining mad like this when the team was in 10th or 11th place in the league. They will find their groove, and when they do, we are in good shape.

As for O'Byrne, this gaffe is unfortunate, but should not be the thing that causes us to send him down. His poor play would be, but I would treat it like a bad game by a goalie. Let him have a chance to redeem himself. if he fails, send him down, send Dandy to D and bring up Chips, Max Pac, or D'ago.

Ok ive read each and every single persons opinion on the O'Pilon matter, but fact is this...he had his chance for redemption! There's a reason why a thread started due to his poor play days PRIOR to this game. I'm sick of some of you on this board who just get the Kleenex out for occurrences like this one. What has Ryan O'Pilon done this season that he deserves a spot? 0g (well...1 if you count tonight), 3a, 14 boneheaded penalty minutes, and a minus 2; not to mention he doesn't finish hits, and doesn't drop the mits. Mr gainey better be giving mr weber the call...somebody who rightfully deserves a chance!! 1 for 8 is better than 0 for 8. And for those of you who said up front didn't get it done tonight, open your eyes! This is the best game I've seen them play since the home win vs Ottawa....In conclusion, we lost because of O'Pilon

Ok ive read each and every single persons opinion on the O'Pilon matter, but fact is this...he had his chance for redemption! There's a reason why a thread started due to his poor play days PRIOR to this game. I'm sick of some of you on this board who just get the Kleenex out for occurrences like this one. What has Ryan O'Pilon done this season that he deserves a spot? 0g (well...1 if you count tonight), 3a, 14 boneheaded penalty minutes, and a minus 2; not to mention he doesn't finish hits, and doesn't drop the mits. Mr gainey better be giving mr weber the call...somebody who rightfully deserves a chance!! 1 for 8 is better than 0 for 8. And for those of you who said up front didn't get it done tonight, open your eyes! This is the best game I've seen them play since the home win vs Ottawa....In conclusion, we lost because of O'Pilon

whatever. the team is struggling, so let's blame the second year kid.

how about markov's pilon imitation on the isle's first goal, coupled with tripping his own goalie, then screaning him....?

i hope gainey calles out all the classless ***holes who were calling obyrne's name at the end of the game.

how about markov's pilon imitation on the isle's first goal, coupled with tripping his own goalie, then screaning him....?

You call that screening?...why don't you watch the highlights and see how many seconds Price had to get back up after Markov crashed into him

I hope Gainey gets his head out of his ass and realizes that this team could very well be on the brink of collapsing rather than calling people out; make some moves for the better and help the CH get out of the tailspin before its too late and we're in the tank. By the way...last time i checked class and stupidity don't correlate with one another

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Hysteria central here.

The overlooked fact is the team played better tonight than it has in a LONG time. That's three games in a row we go to shootout, and in each game the team has improved its overall play: skating harder, working harder, playing smarter. Fume all you want about the outcome. Bigger picture: what we have here is a club that seems to be working its way out of the slump and is probably on the verge of getting hot again.

Meanwhile, everyone is busy ripping a semi-rookie to shreds. Once again, not for the last time, I thank the Good Lord in heaven that Bob "Cool Hand" Gainey is in charge.

What needs to happen is either that O'Bryne go down to Hamilton for a few games at least in order to get some breathing space, OR that the team rally around him. Initially I favoured the first option, but considering Carbo's response and the character OB showed in facing down the media, I now think the second is the way to go. Ironically, this could become one of those team-building moments. Who knows, it could even be a turning point - in the right direction.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

My dad said something I found interesting:

If a Dman is passing to his goalie in his own end (even if he is there), don't you look at the goalie. It is a cardinal rule.

So if he looked (which it seemed), he must have horrible aim. I feel for the kid...

should have put him in the shootout

I was thinking that, but what if he missed, the crowd would REALLY get on him then.

Hysteria central here.

The overlooked fact is the team played better tonight than it has in a LONG time. That's three games in a row we go to shootout, and in each game the team has improved its overall play: skating harder, working harder, playing smarter. Fume all you want about the outcome. Bigger picture: what we have here is a club that seems to be working its way out of the slump and is probably on the verge of getting hot again.

Meanwhile, everyone is busy ripping a semi-rookie to shreds. Once again, not for the last time, I thank the Good Lord in heaven that Bob "Cool Hand" Gainey is in charge.

What needs to happen is either that O'Bryne go down to Hamilton for a few games at least in order to get some breathing space, OR that the team rally around him. Initially I favoured the first option, but considering Carbo's response and the character OB showed in facing down the media, I now think the second is the way to go. Ironically, this could become one of those team-building moments. Who knows, it could even be a turning point - in the right direction.

Carbo did the same thing with Gorges when he made a huge gaffe last year vs. Atlanta, which I posted a link to in the O'Byrne thread. Oddly enough, Montreal lost that game in a shootout as well. Everyone hated Gorges back then... now he's the #4 d-man who everyone thinks is invaluable to the team. Funny how this happened on the night when Gorges finally scored his first goal as a habs.

People are conveniently believing that the team isn't playing better in the past week, and that O'Byrne wasn't improving in that time frame as well. Before last week, I was scared when he was on the ice. But he started to make the right decisions. He'll never be spectacular, but he's coming around.

If this unravels him, it'll be very unfortunate. But you're right, the team is starting to turn it around.

It was my fault, not O'Byrne's!!!

Those who know my "Blocking the goalie theory" will understand.

With 10 minutes left in the game there was a knock on my door, young girl next door had her car stuck.

It took me a bit longer than I thought to lift her out. Getting old!

Came back in and it was 3-3.

Those who know , know, if I can't see the puck, how can the goalie, who wasn't there anyway.

Don't block my view, I am screened.

Well in this case I was screened by a door and 50 metres.

Sorry Ryan, but it was not your fault!

Get over it!

With 10 minutes left in the game there was a knock on my door, young girl next door had her car stuck.

Those who know , know, if I can't see the puck, how can the goalie, who wasn't there anyway.

Get over it!

:lol: just made my day !

Get over it!

Seeing as to how this cost us the win, I sure as hell hope this is what knocked on your door...

img_10.jpg

Otherwise, you have no excuse :angry:

I almost cried in the post-game interview, I felt so bad for him.

Give O'Byrne a break, other than that mistake he played a pretty good game. Yeah, it's an unacceptable mistake but they happen. Plekanec made a stupid mistake in his rookie season against Philadelphia. Do you remember Mark Streit in his rookie year against Washington? He made two mistakes of the same magnitude that led to two goals. Everyone was calling to have him shipped back to Switzerland and now we miss him and actually lost to him last night. Sending him down now would absolutely destroy his confidence and I wouldn't expect to ever see him come back up. Some of you might not care but he's a decent prospect and no, no one in Hamilton is even close to as good.

And now, notes on the actual game...

Awesome game, definitely one of our 3 good games of the season. The Kovalev line was great, the Koivu line was great, the Lapierre line was great. Had I walked into this game with no preconceptions, I would have called Gorges a #1 defenseman. Solid stuff, all around - those who are wasting their time screaming at O'Byrne are overlooking the fact that we finally played a game where we looked the old Habs of last year. The reason is because we went back to our philosophy of hit everything that moves and build up momentum that way. Dandenault ought to be playing far more than Laraque if we want to stick to our gameplan.

You call that screening?...why don't you watch the highlights and see how many seconds Price had to get back up after Markov crashed into him

I hope Gainey gets his head out of his ass and realizes that this team could very well be on the brink of collapsing rather than calling people out; make some moves for the better and help the CH get out of the tailspin before its too late and we're in the tank. By the way...last time i checked class and stupidity don't correlate with one another

They are not on the brink of collapse. The season is not even 1/4 over, they have been playing sub-par and still stealing points. All of which has nothing to do with the fact that any fan in the crowd last night who chanted Obyrne's name is a classless ***hole.

I thought we played a good game... best in a while... now if only we could finish those empty net chances.

In my opinion, sending O'Byrne down will accomplish nothing but take away the new whipping boy. I want to see how he responds to hitting rock bottom.

Lets see, every montreal player was at NYI blueline and Price was gone from the net. Hmmmm thanks for helping out the rookie in his own end as he puts it in his own net. Anyone that lays the entire blame for this loss on a gaff by a young defenceman obviously looks for a scapegoat.

My scapegoats will always be poorly coached plays (Under Carbo Habs have no plays) and overpaid Stars (In Kovalevs head he is a legend in his own mind).

Montreal fans always wonder why nobody wants to play there, and they can just blame themselves. I include myself in this catagory as I did not, still don't, and never will like that soft Kovalev character that spends 4 minutes per game on his A$$ trying to draw a penalty. With the money he is paid, he should be a leader, not a Zamboni!

zamboni.jpg

My scapegoats will always be poorly coached plays (Under Carbo Habs have no plays) and overpaid Stars (In Kovalevs head he is a legend in his own mind).

Montreal fans always wonder why nobody wants to play there, and they can just blame themselves. I include myself in this catagory as I did not, still don't, and never will like that soft Kovalev character that spends 4 minutes per game on his A$$ trying to draw a penalty. With the money he is paid, he should be a leader, not a Zamboni!

I think you spent your time in the Bell centre's Zamboni room by the way you are talking. That is the best game Kovalev has played in a long time...was all over Macdonald and had tonnes of energy and pressure. That line played great hockey last night. End of Story...I thought sleeping last night's loss would dull my disliking for O'Pilon...I still hope he gets sent down and Weber gets sent up. Not only because what O'Pilon did last night, but he looks lost out there...give a D man who is NHL READY a try. This team needs a shakeup in the lineup anyways. Bringing up Weber could not only solve the O'Pilon problem, but also help benefit the Powerplay.

Seeing as to how this cost us the win, I sure as hell hope this is what knocked on your door...

img_10.jpg

Otherwise, you have no excuse :angry:

No, it is winter, it was like this.

skiing-bunny.gif

That is the best game Kovalev has played in a long time...was all over Macdonald and had tonnes of energy and pressure.

Hahaha you are funny. Kovalev is a floater and I can tell by your name that your Kovalev Blinders are on.

Kovalev has done NOTHING since last year(And that was a one year wonder at that). You conviently forgot his A$$ ice time evertime he flopped like Ribero. This was a weak team he played against and looked as ordinary as the mediocre players on the opposing team. You like weak players fine, just don't try to dismiss my observations with your rhetorical nonsense. Did he score? Did the team win?

Not tyring to be mean, but your post was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time; which deserved a response.

Did you watch the game? I'm not going to argue that Kovy has been sub-par this season, even his biggest fans would say so. I've always had a love-hate opinion of him, but he DID play one of his best games in a long time and he DID create numerous scoring chances for himself and his linemates. Will this mean a turnaround for his season? We can hope...