What has happened to Habs fans?

huzer

And I don't just mean last night, although the merciless booing of O"Byrne is completely devoid of class. I guess maybe it's sports in general, but since I watch a lot of Habs games...the booing of Brisebois, the booing of the US anthem (which classless "fans" STILL do), the completely unnecessary booing of random players from other teams when they touch the puck. It's funny, because not being local to the area any more, I've got to catch all of the games on C e n t e r (didn't want it to get forcibly mis-spelled) Ice. All of the other teams announcers, before the game, usually mentioned how knowledgeable and passionate Habs fans are. Then, they're baffled when someone from their team gets booed for no reason every time they touch the puck. It's frustrating to the point that I'm almost embarrassed to like this team. What is it? Too many years of No Cup. Too much Molson Ex? I've been to hundreds of games at the Forum and never remember it being to this level.

When I moved to Colorado, I belittled the Avs fans. Basically said they were dumb, and laughed at the dolts that actually bought Red Wings jerseys to put "Red Wings Suck" as the name on the back. That level of idiocy has generally passed here, and what I've learned is basically that hockey fans are pretty much as passionate here, too. But unlike "hockey mad" Montreal, they have a bit of class to them as well. They might boo a bad penalty, boo a missed call, or still booo Bertuzzi to this day (ok, snapping someone's neck is grounds for repeatable booing), but that's about it.

For those that follow football, Habs fans are giving Eagles fans a run for their money. They just need to boo Santa, although I'm sure they already have. Instead of trading away players, can we trade away our fans?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that follow football, Habs fans are giving Eagles fans a run for their money. They just need to boo Santa, although I'm sure they already have. Instead of trading away players, can we trade away our fans?

Yeah we could be traded for Devils fans and have Stanley cup parade in a freaking PARKING LOT !!!

maybe we could trade them fof ISLES fans...maybe Panthers fans...ohohoh Coyotes fans !! or maybe swedish fans that brought DILDOS to throw at a opposing player.. who's the stupidest ??

I don't heard people complaining when they win a game that they've shouldn't have won and still being cheered as if they just won the stanley cup.

Some of the Fans are Brainless, gutless and simply stupid but it's a small minority. a handfull, maybe 100 at worse.

If they were winning 4-1 would you really think that people would chant his O'Byrne name ?? although I don't agree at all at the way some stupid drunks acted with O'Byrne, I do understand that a part a the jeers were toward the team in general. Lets Face it, this team has sucked big time over the last month.

And I don't just mean last night, although the merciless booing of O"Byrne is completely devoid of class. I guess maybe it's sports in general, but since I watch a lot of Habs games...the booing of Brisebois, the booing of the US anthem (which classless "fans" STILL do), the completely unnecessary booing of random players from other teams when they touch the puck. It's funny, because not being local to the area any more, I've got to catch all of the games on C e n t e r (didn't want it to get forcibly mis-spelled) Ice. All of the other teams announcers, before the game, usually mentioned how knowledgeable and passionate Habs fans are. Then, they're baffled when someone from their team gets booed for no reason every time they touch the puck. It's frustrating to the point that I'm almost embarrassed to like this team. What is it? Too many years of No Cup. Too much Molson Ex? I've been to hundreds of games at the Forum and never remember it being to this level.

When I moved to Colorado, I belittled the Avs fans. Basically said they were dumb, and laughed at the dolts that actually bought Red Wings jerseys to put "Red Wings Suck" as the name on the back. That level of idiocy has generally passed here, and what I've learned is basically that hockey fans are pretty much as passionate here, too. But unlike "hockey mad" Montreal, they have a bit of class to them as well. They might boo a bad penalty, boo a missed call, or still booo Bertuzzi to this day (ok, snapping someone's neck is grounds for repeatable booing), but that's about it.

Huzer

Agree completely. I've lived in NY for 10 years and have been blown away by the level of Habs Fan idiocy I've seen in the last few years. I attended the recent game in Long Island where the Habs came back from 4-1 in the third. Great comeback, but it was absolutely marred by the behavior of the habs fans in attendance (there were a lot of them). I won't go into details, but it was completely embarrasing.

This wasn't bruin or leaf land, it was the islanders.

So ironic that some fans (not all, but too many) that pride themsleves on cheering a classy organization are anything but classy themselves.

I am not trying to come off as better than anybody here (lord knows i've cursed out many a player live and in front of the tv over the years). i like to think i know when the line has been crossed though, and I fear we've been crossing it too much recently.

Screaming "Lucic, Lucic" is one thing. Doing the same to Obyrne last night was, completely, another.

Huzer, I agree...too many idiots in the world spoiling things and that's true of alot more then sports fans too.

Like anywhere else, I feel that a VERY small percentage give the rest of the fans a bad name. I fear that will always be the way.

But we "good fans" can always lead by example.

Booing a particular guy on the other team is no different than in basketball when fans everywhere chant "air ball" every time a guy touches the ball until he makes a shot. Habs fans don't just boo random players. They boo the other team's best player or guys who kill the Habs. They boo Chara because he kills the Habs. They boo Briere because he wouldn't sign with us. They boo Ovechkin because he is the Caps' best player and hope, mistakenly, to get in his head. I've been watching this year on GameCenter, so I've heard the same commentary as you, and the vast majority of announcers have been idiots. I'm all for home team announcers being biased towards the team they're covering, but some of them are just ridiculous. Some act like stinking fan-boys and see penalties that aren't there and complain about most every call against their own team. When they don't understand why a guy is getting booed, then they're just not that bright.

As for booing O'Byrne - what do you expect? He scored a goal on his own team. All he had to do was play it around the boards, but instead sends it toward the goal. There was no reason to send the puck anywhere near the goal. He's been playing terrible and that blew the lid off. He deserved to be booed. Should fans just sit back and accept it? No way. Fans have just as much right to boo as they do to cheer and applaud. If the next time O'Byrne plays he gets booed for doing nothing, then you can complain. Bet getting booed for that play and his general play of late was well justified.

I generally agree that booing O'Byrne was understandable last night, but it did go on a bit too long. That being said, perhaps I am just getting older than my online peer group, but the level of debate has certainly gone down over the last few years.

For my part, I totally understand when fans are booing certain players like Lindros (the Québec thing), Chara (he's just stupid, jumps on small players, etc), Yashin (every sport fans should boo him) or Avery/Tucker type of players.

But booing Jagr, Savard, Alfredsson, Crosby and cie is beyond me.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Habs fans are the WORST on the planet. Now, that's a blanket statement, because for sure there are thousands of really, really good and knowledgeable fans, but when you count the morons as well? We make hooliganism look good.

Totally agreed. Dont even have to go as far as Long Island to witness those "fans", we've had some samples right here on the board.

I'm sorta glad that the crowd isnt full of silent 3-pieces-suits old men who were too snob to cheer; but savages arent that much better. There's a certain part of that fandom that always been there. Beliveau got booed. Lafleur got booed. Roy got booed. That'll never stop.

But right now it's more than that. If only it was just "some hockey fans" it'd be easy to isolate and eliminate them. Dont want to start a flame war and bash Montrealers in particular, but there's something wrong with young people in that city. Like a culture of irreverence, an ingrained lack of respect for anything and anyone. Rioting and looting for no reasons? I can understand it in LA when policemen are acquitted after bashing Rodney King's head in. But after a 2nd round playoff win??? And dont tell me "it's only a minority" and blah blah blah. When it comes to crowds, if the majority can't overwhelm the minority, then they're just guilty by association.

There's a serious attitude adjustment needed there. I'd never thought I'd say this someday, but a good dose of police repression is in order. We've had that riot shit twice in Quebec City in 95 & 96 during the St-Jean-Baptiste festivities (started by week-end punks who came from the 450). The year after that the police bought a truck with water cannon (it never worked, but the message was there) and had anti-riot cops on every street corner. Nobody dared to start shit since then. Ditto for the America's Summit. When the cops started to pepper the trouble makers with tear gas and shoot on sight with rubber balls , trouble makers ran for their lives and never came back.

Little punks like that needs to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Booing a particular guy on the other team is no different than in basketball when fans everywhere chant "air ball" every time a guy touches the ball until he makes a shot. Habs fans don't just boo random players. They boo the other team's best player or guys who kill the Habs. They boo Chara because he kills the Habs. They boo Briere because he wouldn't sign with us. They boo Ovechkin because he is the Caps' best player and hope, mistakenly, to get in his head.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with booing players for inane reasons. My point was that the atmosphere and attitude in general around the Habs has changed significantly since I was a regular patron at the Forum. And to me, it stinks. We went from a classy organization, to excusing rude and crude behavior as being "passionate". If you can, watch a game from 15-20-25 years or so ago, and find a time in the game when the fans start booing someone during the game, for something that didn't occur during that game. Find a time when they just booed the other team's best player, just because. Hard to find, and that is what I'm referring to. It's just annoying because the "booing" I'm describing as random (I know excuses/reasons for people doing it can be created) is now just accepted practice. That's all younger fans know.

And the day we're comparing basketball and hockey...ugh, THAT just gave me chills.

As for booing O'Byrne - what do you expect?

It's not the booing that bothered me...it was the chanting of his name as the players filed off. You can boo a boneheaded play, just like you can cheer a goal. What sucks for O'Byrne is that every mistake he makes from here will be unfairly magnified exponentially.

I completely agree, Montreal fans can be really be classless. I'm not in favor for booing anyone, but I really can't understand why "fans" can boo their own players, especially not a young inexperienced player like Ryan O'Byrne who's already struggling for confidence (which is all he needs to get back on track, we all saw last year that he's more than capable of playing at the NHL level).

Booing national anthems, players who decide to sign elsewhere even though they earned the right to choose where they want to play and live (many forget that they are human beings who at that age want stability and a better qaulity of life), their own players such as Brisebois, Rivet, and O'Byrne... is pointless and a huge lack of respect for those players. Unfortunately because they make so much money, players lose all their human rights in the eyes of some people...

It's ok to be mad and disspointed in the team and/or some players, and this is why such discussion forums exists on various media. This is the best way to express oneself, and share those feelings with others. If they want people can criticize O'Byrne for his lack of progression, Carbonneau for not giving him the instructions and support he needs, Gainey for perhaps not evaluating his properly, and whoever else they want to point the finger to. However to actually go to the Bell centre, and try to ridiculize him and make him feel worst then he's already feeling is just mean and a complete lack of class.

We went from a classy organization, to excusing rude and crude behavior as being "passionate".

Unless we're talking about a classy guy like Sakic or Yzerman, booing an opposing player isn't rude or crude. I mean, the guys fans boo are making in a year what most of us make in a lifetime, and they're playing a game to make that money. If they feel offended by fans booing them, then they're in the wrong business. Successful players don't let it bother them. When your own fans are booing you, the best way to shut them up is to play well.

It's not the booing that bothered me...it was the chanting of his name as the players filed off. You can boo a boneheaded play, just like you can cheer a goal. What sucks for O'Byrne is that every mistake he makes from here will be unfairly magnified exponentially.

Of course, those boo-birds will insist that they paid the money and therefore have the right to do as they please. Which is true, free country, boo all you want. But it denigrates this organization and makes the rest of the fans look bad. Booing for a reason is fine, that's the nature of sport. Booing for the sake of booing is sad and pathetic. When O'Byrne made his mistake, there was ample cause to boo, of course. But chanting and booing him off the ice at the end of the game? What does that serve, honestly? You're voicing your opinion, that's the party line, but haven't you already done that for the play in question?

These fans who have booed Brisebois and the "flavour of the month" whipping boy really don't get it. You're hurting the team. You think all that negative response doesn't affect players? Sure, they're professional, but they're also human. Everytime boo-birds open their mouth to voice displeasure they're sapping the confidence from the player in question - and thereby perpetuating the cycle. By all means, boo when you see something you don't like, but when it gets to the point of booing for the sake of booing (Brisebois is the best example in the last decade) it becomes hurtful and contrary to the team's needs. When it boils right down to it, the boo-birds are responsible for some of the negative things on the ice.

Go to any psychologist and that's what they'll tell you: you go with your dominant thought. If your dominant thought is that you hear boos when you touch the puck, you will have a natural propensity to making errors. They've done test after test on this stuff, it's not made up. You boo-birds are negatively affecting a player, a career, and the Canadiens club. If you boo O'Byrne more, he may make another critical error which could potentially cost the Habs a playoff spot, or a Cup, and perhaps even his career.

Komi never scored on his own net, but there were times when he was just awful back in the day. Why was he never booed like this? You don't think he went through stretches of horrible play? Do you think he'd be half the player he is today had his confidence been utterly wrecked by boo-birds voicing their opinions? The difference is that he was given slack because he was a first round pick and was slated to be some kind of savoiur. O'Byrne? Later round pick so the tether is short. He's making mistakes, ride him out of the city. Doesn't matter that he could very well become the next Komisarek with continued work, he's making mistakes now so boo him mercilessly.

Why not attempt to put yourselves in his situation. Ever had a point in life when people have been hard on you, have ridden you mercilessly, because you made mistakes? How'd that make you feel? How was your confidence? Yes, yes, there are those "supermen" out there who will say that they rose above and did better and proved everyone wrong, but I call bull-puckey. That happens on occasion, but the reality is when you're picked apart like that, you naturally make more mistakes.

Answer this: when a team stops scoring and has trouble putting together wins even though they may even outplay the other side, why do the players themselves always say they're gripping their sticks harder and not making the plays that got them there? Confidence. That's it. Confidence wins games. You give me a middling team brimming with conficence against the best team out there struggling to put the puck in the net because of a litany of posts and slight misses compounded with booing from a merciless fan-base? Middling team wins nine times out of ten.

Get with the program boo-birds. This is your team and you're allowed to do what you want, so how about getting behind them and helping build confidence. I mean, do you honestly think O'Byrne should never see the NHL again? Do people honestly not see his potential out there? Not see the very similar career paths that he and Komisarek have taken? You've had your fun, derided the kid enough, now cheer him when he gets back on the ice. Tell him that the past is the past and you have faith that he's going to be the next great defensive defender.

Or maybe just show a little respect.

I agree that Booing O'Byrne last night was pathetic.

BUt as far as booing players on other teams...I don't see what the big deal is? You play for another team, then you are the ennemy. We as fans, have a right to do everything that is legal to distract you, get you off your game, intimidate you!!

It's perfectly legal, and it helps our boys win games!

Ever heard of the hometown crowd acting like the 7th player on the ice?? That's what they are refering to when they say that!

Yesterday was a low point of being a habs fan. O'Bryne has been pressed into more minutes than he should be because of Komisarek injury.

And if you look at the play, it was really not that Bad - a silly mistake --- but come on lets move on!

More important is O'Byrne's psyche right now.

He is a young kid who has potential to be a good 6th or 7th defensman in this league for a long time - who knows if he can ever fully recover from this.

Shame on everyone that booed, completely pathetic.

The message had to be heard. They (the manangement) don't like it, i do not care even if Gainey would

call idiots the people who boo like he did to Brisebois

If people who pay the freakin money to sit and watch screw ups are not happy they have the right to be.

People would have not boo Josh Gorges if he did the same mistake, but he would have never made this kind

of play. Problem is that O'byrne play is a disgrace from day 1 and if management does not realise it, they should hear it from fans

and if they don't like, so they should get booed too because they let the situation go to where it is today.

They burned the kid. Now he doesn't even have trade value.

Kovalev would deserve some noise too, i only have one word to describe his play " Sabotage"

And if clean fans don't like it, keep it clean and look centennial propaganda when good old days were better.

Problem is that O'byrne play is a disgrace from day 1 and if management does not realise it, they should hear it from fans

and if they don't like, so they should get booed too because they let the situation go to where it is today.

They burned the kid. Now he doesn't even have trade value.

Somehow I think management has an infinitely better take on whether or not O'Byrne's play is a disgrace. Seem to me management managed to take a useless team circa 2000 and build them into a competitive team today. Surely, they must know something.

But you're right, boo consistently at O'Byrne and management. I'm sure that will help the situation. Boo until Ryan's confidence completely implodes, until he does more mistakes. Boo until you run him out of town, then boo until you run Carbo and Gainey out of town. When Houle and Tremblay take over...

And people wonder why we can't attract UFA's. "What a great place to play, this Montreal. Fans are soooo knowledgeable."

:rolleyes:

Somehow I think management has an infinitely better take on whether or not O'Byrne's play is a disgrace. Seem to me management managed to take a useless team circa 2000 and build them into a competitive team today. Surely, they must know something.

But you're right, boo consistently at O'Byrne and management. I'm sure that will help the situation. Boo until Ryan's confidence completely implodes, until he does more mistakes. Boo until you run him out of town, then boo until you run Carbo and Gainey out of town. When Houle and Tremblay take over...

And people wonder why we can't attract UFA's. "What a great place to play, this Montreal. Fans are soooo knowledgeable."

:rolleyes:

Yes it's a fact people are idiots to pay tickets heavy money, buy shirts, flags and shut up.

It's should be kept for media and so call experts to express a clean opinion and keep everybody

politicly happy corrected.

Yes it's a fact people are idiots to pay tickets heavy money, buy shirts, flags and shut up.

It's should be kept for media and so call experts to express a clean opinion and keep everybody

People are free and to some extend even encouraged to express their opinions to other people and through various media, such as this message board, blogs, open lines on the radio, letters to newspapers, etc. However while there probably is nothing illegal about booing a player, it can be morally interpreted as being a harmful, humiliating, and almost cruel personal attack on an individual.

There is a difference between fans showing their discontent about the quality of the show thet paid for (ex, lack of effort, poorly prepeared team, ...) by booing the overall effort, however last night it was a personal attack on Ryan O'Byrne, just like it was in previous years against Brisebois and Rivet.

ps. I put the word "probably" in italics because I wouldn't be that surprised, especially in the US, if a player won his case in front of a judge that individuals caught booing that player were in fact performing some kind of harassement. While I would find such ruling a little ridiculous, the American justice system has done much worse...

When did I ever say "don't boo"?

People are free and to some extend even encouraged to express their opinions to other people and through various media, such as this message board, blogs, open lines on the radio, letters to newspapers, etc. However while there probably is nothing illegal about booing a player, it can be morally interpreted as being a harmful, humiliating, and almost cruel personal attack on an individual.

There is a difference between fans showing their discontent about the quality of the show thet paid for (ex, lack of effort, poorly prepeared team, ...) by booing the overall effort, however last night it was a personal attack on Ryan O'Byrne, just like it was in previous years against Brisebois and Rivet.

ps. I put the word "probably" in italics because I wouldn't be that surprised, especially in the US, if a player won his case in front of a judge that individuals caught booing that player were in fact performing some kind of harassement. While I would find such ruling a little ridiculous, the American justice system has done much worse...

O'Byrne made a mistake, a mistake, he did not intentionally put the puck into his own goal. This own goal thing has happen in the past and it will occur in the future. The Montreal Fans can be very hard on their team and players and more often then not it appears to be a defenseman. Carbo needs to put the kid right back out there and give him public support. For those Fans who booed I hope they Never make any kind of mistake in their lives and especially not in their work place.

Edited by thib46

I'll pray to the hockey gods for O'Byrne to score the winning goal tomorrow in Detroit!!!!

I think you guys should pray as well!

Edited by Habsfan

Unless we're talking about a classy guy like Sakic or Yzerman, booing an opposing player isn't rude or crude. I mean, the guys fans boo are making in a year what most of us make in a lifetime, and they're playing a game to make that money. If they feel offended by fans booing them, then they're in the wrong business. Successful players don't let it bother them. When your own fans are booing you, the best way to shut them up is to play well.

I think all of you should listen to Fanpuck on this one...I was going to post something similar to what he wrote...but his two posts are so dead on that I don't even have to. When you put that CH on, you play your absolute hardest until your frigging lungs give out, i know so many youngsters who would DIE to play for the Habs and have that one shot, one opportunity to play for the most storied franchise in all of sports. Ryan O'Byrne by no means has been playing hard this season. When I was at the Ottawa game I was freaking out about him too. Why are so many habs fans so damn soft these days? Unlike other hockey markets...fans OBSESS and LIVE FOR this team. They should have known expectations were going to be sky high this season!!!