2009 All-Star Game Thread

JoeLassister

Jeez, it's just for fun, what's everyone so uptight about?

Plus, the elimination shootout was pretty good. Thomas and Savard conspiracy??

Damn yeah. Thomas had his glove between is legs from behind. :D

It was fun to see Ovechkin be helped by his supposed ennemy Malkin to dress up for his last try.

Getzlaf was trully the best in the fantasy shoutout contest.

And where was St-Louis for the speed contest ? If Mason Raymond doesn't trip, he wins easily I think.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really impressed with Komisarek's shot. Didn't expect him to beat Streit with a 98+ MPH shot.

He should practice it more for accuracy and learn how/when to use it.

The only prob with Komi's shot is his release. He has a long, ponderous backswing and that allows players to get in front. It's something like telegraphing his shot. Others are much quicker and getting their stick back and snapping through the puck. For Komi to become effective on the powerplay - since that's inevitably where his being in this competition will lead - he's going to have to learn to snap his stick faster.

Compare him to the others who brought the stick up quick and fired through the puck rapidly. Komi takes his stick up early, almost pauses at the top, then blasts through. I suspect he had an errant slapshot when he was younger and was taught to slow his mechanics down at some point to improve that accuracy. Now he needs to work on his stick-speed through the slapshot and he'll be the PP shot we can use on the point.

I thought the whole thing was much better then last years. One thing they should change for the shootout is get rid of the timer and make it more about attempts like the dunk contest. Guys were trying to hurry so they could get as many shots as possible.

Really thought Hejduk was gonna walk away with that last event, he had two chances and THATS when he decides to stop dekeing. As usual.

I'd like to see players around the league get invited for individual competitions even if they aren't in the actual game. I'd like to see how Lombardi stacks up in the fastest skater or Wolski in any of the shootout competitions.

I thought the whole thing was much better then last years. One thing they should change for the shootout is get rid of the timer and make it more about attempts like the dunk contest. Guys were trying to hurry so they could get as many shots as possible.

Really thought Hejduk was gonna walk away with that last event, he had two chances and THATS when he decides to stop dekeing. As usual.

I'd like to see players around the league get invited for individual competitions even if they aren't in the actual game. I'd like to see how Lombardi stacks up in the fastest skater or Wolski in any of the shootout competitions.

Man imagine Grabovski in the fastest skater competition. Would be sick.

I've always thought it'd be fun to see the top players from the team skills competitions be in there - the 6 with the hardest shot, fastest skater, etc, regardless of team or conference. Have the actual All-Stars do the shootout contest at the end to get them involved as well, but it'd actually be the best of the best, and give some recognition to the lesser known players.

Yeah, better, but still not especially good. I think the only thing that really improved was that they went back to the old style fastest skater, instead of that stupid sprint last year. Even then, they didn't do any head-to-head racing.

The trick shot shootout was a little better than last year since there was more creativity, but it was still kinda lame. They need to make it so that your attempt only counts if you actually score the goal. It's fun seeing crazy moves, but not scoring a goal really ruins it.

One thing that really hurt was that the Versus coverage was pretty bad for once. They were clearly sending out their widescreen video on their standard definition feed, so you could only see the last digit of the clock and the radar gun. And as boring as the Young Stars game was for the people there, it was worse for people watching on Versus, as they missed 5 goals.

I agree about getting non-All-Stars involved. I'd love to see Chimera in the fastest skater and Zherdev in the trick shot.

Main change I'd make: dump the YoungStars game and bring back Old Timers games.

I didn't like a single thing about the entire competition. The intro to the players was worse than the intro for a standard Habs game.

The only prob with Komi's shot is his release. He has a long, ponderous backswing and that allows players to get in front. It's something like telegraphing his shot. Others are much quicker and getting their stick back and snapping through the puck. For Komi to become effective on the powerplay - since that's inevitably where his being in this competition will lead - he's going to have to learn to snap his stick faster.

Compare him to the others who brought the stick up quick and fired through the puck rapidly. Komi takes his stick up early, almost pauses at the top, then blasts through. I suspect he had an errant slapshot when he was younger and was taught to slow his mechanics down at some point to improve that accuracy. Now he needs to work on his stick-speed through the slapshot and he'll be the PP shot we can use on the point.

Komisarek also only gets about 1 in 20 shots through the defender standing directly in front of him. He shoots it right on the ankle every time.

I didn't like a single thing about the entire competition. The intro to the players was worse than the intro for a standard Habs game.

Komisarek also only gets about 1 in 20 shots through the defender standing directly in front of him. He shoots it right on the ankle every time.

I think that's a function of his ponderous backswing. If he snapped at the puck quicker, he wouldn't hit the legs. That's exactly what I was trying to get at.

Thomas and Savard conspiracy??

That really pissed me off...a total lack of sportsmanship on the part of Thomas. I'd like to think that our man Price would do his damndest to stop Kovalev in that situation.

Oh well, it's just one more reason to hate the Bruins.

That really pissed me off...a total lack of sportsmanship on the part of Thomas. I'd like to think that our man Price would do his damndest to stop Kovalev in that situation.

Oh well, it's just one more reason to hate the Bruins.

C'mon, it's all in good fun. :P I thought it was pretty funny. I actually like Thomas, listening to his audio clips, he's a pretty funny guy.

I don't know why people take this All Star stuff so seriously, the kids have tons of fun, the players all have fun, so who cares?

Edited by ForumGhost

Man imagine Grabovski in the fastest skater competition. Would be sick.

Small players often look faster than they really are. Mike Gartner never especially looked fast on the ice but he was winning all the speed competitions in his days. Another example is Mario Lemieux. He was such an effortless &powerful skater, yet he was so big his speed was deceptive.

Small players often look faster than they really are. Mike Gartner never especially looked fast on the ice but he was winning all the speed competitions in his days. Another example is Mario Lemieux. He was such an effortless &powerful skater, yet he was so big his speed was deceptive.

well, it's not coming from me. Habs staff said he was easily the fastest skater of the club and might be the fastest in the NHL... Now they say he is a moron.