Habs Officially For Sale - Sold!

KoZed

so if the Molson boys buy the team, will the Bell Centre revert back to the Molson Centre in name? Not that it's important, but although I don't like any of the corporate names, few are as bland as Bell.

The Molson Centre has horrible vibes from the Houle era. The Bell Cente at least saw some decent hockey. The Molsons will be great owners, but Just Say No to the return of the Molson Centre!! (Which, by the way, should never have tempted fate by not calling itself The Molson FORUM. No wonder the ghosts refused to join the move).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, only 2 groups officially went with an offer, today was the deadline.

1. the Molson family

2. Quebecor with partners.

an american group supported by Pierre Boivin (source JC on CKAC this morning)

Bronfman + Saputo apparentlyl have the highest bid. They weren't active prospects until... this morning when the news got out!

héhé.

It's already better than Quebecor.

héhé.

It's already better than Quebecor.

Quebecor has some good and some bad.

the good is that it's awfully powerful and with all the revenue it would generate with the convergence, the Habs would certainly remain the #3, if not become richer than that (with Habs TV and such)

the bad is that PKP is an asshole... See how he reacted to Martin's hiring?! Does that mean that he'd have said to the GM, yo, hire this guy, cause me, PKP, am more knowledgeable than you are Sir Gainey.

the good is that it's awfully powerful and with all the revenue it would generate with the convergence, the Habs would certainly remain the #3, if not become richer than that (with Habs TV and such)

the bad is that PKP is an asshole... See how he reacted to Martin's hiring?! Does that mean that he'd have said to the GM, yo, hire this guy, cause me, PKP, am more knowledgeable than you are Sir Gainey.

Have to think yes on the second point, I think he'd even can Gainey if he got control. Christ, does he have any kids who play? Having visions of a Citizen Kane singer-girlfriend thing now...

Go Molson! Go Bronfman! Go American / Canadian guy!

Bronfman + Saputo apparentlyl have the highest bid. They weren't active prospects until... this morning when the news got out!

Apparently they made an offer of approx 450 million$

Your good = my bad. I think it would be a disaster for the medias to have Quebecor as the owners. Habs tv could be cool though, but i'm satisfied with RDS and don't want to pay an extra if i can avoid it.

Ok, so.. with Jim Balsillie failing to lure the Pheonix Coyotes into Hamilton, I'm starting to think he should just buy the Montreal Canadiens. He has already stated it was his "boy-hood dream" to own the Canadiens and he certainly has the money to get it done... so why not?

I think it would be great. This guy obviously has the money to spend on a winning team, and he is clearly passionate about the game of hockey.

FORGET HAMILTON JIM... COME BUY THE HABS!

The deadline for offers for the Habs has passed. Maybe if after a few more failed attempts at relocating a team to Hamilton, he'll decide to go after the Habs or a team already in Canada. But not this time.

Deadline? You think if Jim picks up the phone and makes a huge pitch they're going to say NO?

All I am saying is... like Mark Cuban in basketball, this guy wants a team and he wants to win, not worried about $. I think it would be great to have a guy like that!

You think if a player wants big $ Jim is going to say No? I don't. I think owners like the Molson's and Celine Dion would scare me because they wouldn't want to ice a winner as much as a profitable team!

Balislle has a huge ego and massive desire for publicity, and is clearly a rampant hockey fan, which to me are potential danger signs that he may turn out to be one of these noxious interfering owners who treat the team like it's their personal fantasy league franchise. I'm not saying he'll be that way, just that I don't trust him NOT to be. My ideal owner is a hands-off quiet type. (Gillett is actually fairly close to the ideal in many ways). I'm all for Balsille punching Bettman in the face, but not as Habs owner - although he'd obviously be better than that Quebecor abomination. (Gillett should have added one condition: no anti-semite racist pr*cks need apply.)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Deadline? You think if Jim picks up the phone and makes a huge pitch they're going to say NO?

All I am saying is... like Mark Cuban in basketball, this guy wants a team and he wants to win, not worried about $. I think it would be great to have a guy like that!

You think if a player wants big $ Jim is going to say No? I don't. I think owners like the Molson's and Celine Dion would scare me because they wouldn't want to ice a winner as much as a profitable team!

In the cap era, with the team already spending close to or up to the limit, his desire to splash out on a player or two becomes a hindrance if anything: see NYR, Phlia's tightrope dance (at the cap limit with only 18 players!), etc.

Unless, of course, the players are Crosby and Malkin.

Love to see Basille punch Bettman in the face, then Gary running and crying to his master David Stern, the little lapdog he is.

An update on the process:

An agreement to sell the majority ownership of the Montreal Canadiens and the Bell Centre for between $506 million and $537 million (U.S.) could be announced as early as this weekend, according to financial and other sources familiar with the bidding process. It’s also possible that owner George Gillett will decide to sell only a minority share of the team and its arena, one of those sources said.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/62847 (Got a little ahead of themselves with the date - the 22nd isn't till Monday but otherwise a decent read).

La Presse reporting it's imminent.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...du-canadien.php

Well, if George seriously thinks that LFC can contend with the Real's, Chelski's and ManUre's of the world, so be it. You have to think he'll sell the majority of the team. Any guesses as to who the winning bid will be? I'll say the Molson's, not of any affinity or whatever to them, just think the fact that they hold 20% of the team probably makes it easiest for George to deal with them, as well as the can of worms Quebecor would bring with their Habs-TV ida and the Molsons allied indirectly with RDS.

Could Bob also move up in the draft to get a bigger-name ctr? Could be an interesting weekend!

Going once, going twice, sold?

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...ille-molson.php

Reports suggest Molson is the big winner (although personally I say Gillett is, anytime you can more than double your investment while earning 9 figures in dividends over the ownership span, you've done well) paying over $500 million US for Gillett's 80.1% share of the team. Apparently, Serge Savard is back in the picture, although not as an investor.

Molson wasn't my #1 choice (Roustan Capital was and I know I'm the minority there), but they were far from my worst option.

Apparently, Serge Savard is back in the picture, although not as an investor.

Is it for sure it's not as an investor? Considering he withdrew his group's bid out of respect for the Molson family, I was kind of expecting him to join up with them.

YES!!!!

This is great news. The Molsons and the Habs have a rich history and the family has a heritage of successful stewardship. If the past is any guide, we can expect serious, responsible, hands-off owners who will leave the hockey decisions to hockey people, and we will be spared the horrors of a Quebecor monstrosity, complete with head-honcho Peledeau, running the team so as to pander to ignorant fans and its own grotesque corporate purposes.

Great ownership is absolutely pivotal to long-term success. We can thank George Gilette, himself an exemplary owner, for passing the torch responsibly.

Phew! Now let's please get some players signed and move on!!!

So the Molson family owns 80% and Molson corp. owns 20%?

I'm happy with the Molson family buying it.

Bob should be able to get down to business now. I wonder what direction the Molson's are going to move the team in or if they will let Bob do as he sees fit?

I do hope that Savard has nothing to do with the team at all!