Apr. 11/09 | Pittsburgh vs. Canadiens | Game Thread

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Channel 33 is usually RDS if you guys actually wanna watch the game. How does tonight show that Kovy and Koivu need Tanguay? It's obviously not fair to blame Koivu for not racking up the points considering he's playing on the 4th line with Stewart and Laraque.

Also yeah, that was an amazing shot.

The only thing pathetic around here is the fickleness of these so called "fans".

Edited by ForumGhost

I think we played/are playing a pretty solid game, we've at least got some energy. I'm also happy we're going to be facing the Bruins, it never gets old.

I think we played/are playing a pretty solid game, we've at least got some energy. I'm also happy we're going to be facing the Bruins, it never gets old.

+ 1 and + 1

I'm not disappointed by tonight's game.

It was an important game for Pittsburgh, and they were at full strength.

Quite the opposite for us

Why get upset about a game that essentially meant nothing?

Last season the Habs finished first and won 14 straight against the 8th seeded Bruins.

7 game series

Last season the Habs finished 4-0 against the 6th seeded Flyers.

4-1 loss.

Throw out everything that you have just seen, ANYTHING can happen in the next 2 weeks.

Chara could tear an ACL in the first 3 minutes of game one. I still remember when Thelven

broke Richer's wrist and the Habs had to play the rest of the series without their 50 goal scorer

and their offense disappeared.

New season on Thursday.

I guess some of you guys are "glass mostly full" kind of guys...

I see a team that crawled into the playoffs. The only decent streak they had under Gainey was against terrible teams. As soon as they had to play decent teams, they lost their last 4 games, albeit with a point for an over time loss against Boston.

We are outshot every game. Our goalie has been better, but not great. Some great saves for sure, but lots of rebounds and stinker a game. We are now going to play one of the best teams in the league, who also happen to be one of the grittiest.

Boston was not great against us and was more concerned with sending a message and playing dirty.. THEY STILL WON.

I will be surprised if we make it to game 6... a sweep is highly likely, imo.

While our PP looked okay with Markov and everyone playing against crap teams.. it sure looks like crap again. Doesn't matter, the refs won't call shit in the playoffs and Boston will kill us 5-5.

To think we are happy to sneak in for 8th place

We crawled in despite a whole bunch of things that went wrong.

On paper, we're actually a better team than we were last year when we won the East (when Markov comes back, which may be as early as Game 1). With our slump drawing to a close (I base this on our team's improved level of commitment, I know we've lost 4 straight) and guys like Plekanec, Price and Kovalev finding their games, we are prime dark horse material.

True, we could easily collapse and get swept. But our capacity for greatness is higher than NYR's, Carolina's, Pittsburgh's, etc... If the right Montreal Canadiens show up to the playoffs - and there is no team better at coaxing that out of us than the Bruins - then we are one of the top teams in the league.

It ain't over yet. Miraculously. Or is it more miraculous that our team finished as low as 8th?

Boston Bruins last 19 games in 2008 7-6-6. 0-12 against the Habs.

Nobody seemed to care about that when the season came down to 1 game.

So I am going to go into the playoffs with zero expectations and watch what happens. Not like habs

fans have EVER been rewarded for doing that before.

Nobody is predicting Stanley Cup and seeing as they collapsed in the second half, it is better than

sitting in Florida's position.

I am not going to bemoan the fact that they had a poor season, I reached that breaking point over a month ago.

One game at a time, no more, no less.

Edited by Wamsley01

Boston Bruins last 19 games in 2008 7-6-6. 0-12 against the Habs.

Nobody seemed to care about that when the season came down to 1 game.

So I am going to go into the playoffs with zero expectations and watch what happens. Not like habs

fans have EVER been rewarded for doing that before.

Nobody is predicting Stanley Cup and seeing as they collapsed in the second half, it is better than

sitting in Florida's position.

I am not going to bemoan the fact that they had a poor season, I reached that breaking point over a month ago.

One game at a time, no more, no less.

Yup. Low expectations will ensure we don't get dissappointed. :)

I don't know why some people suddenly expect guys like Pleks to wake up. They have been underperforming all year and while they had good seasons last year, they were MIA in the playoffs.

I expect Kovy, Koivu, and Tanguay to be good in the playoffs, but I don't think it will be enough. People seem to forget that Boston is a much better team then they were last year. They have much more skill and they are not all banged up like they were most of last season. Instead, we are all banged up. :(

Miracles happen, but expecting one is a fool's folly....

Why get upset about a game that essentially meant nothing?

Last season the Habs finished first and won 14 straight against the 8th seeded Bruins.

7 game series

Last season the Habs finished 4-0 against the 6th seeded Flyers.

4-1 loss.

Throw out everything that you have just seen, ANYTHING can happen in the next 2 weeks.

Chara could tear an ACL in the first 3 minutes of game one. I still remember when Thelven

broke Richer's wrist and the Habs had to play the rest of the series without their 50 goal scorer

and their offense disappeared.

New season on Thursday.

All true. I had to laugh when I watched Bergeron fuming between periods about how this team isn't ready blah blah blah. Lord, is that guy an idiot. This was truly a NOTHING game. You may as well use preseason exhibitions to guage a team's playoff readiness.

We're the underdogs going into the Bruins series and the Montreal Canadiens have a certain historical track-record in this respect. I think the team will draw strength from the moral victory in game 81 and Price's standout performance tonight, as well as - notwithstanding Brobin's negativity - the much stronger overall team game since Gainey took over (generally speaking). (Two of those losses came without Markov and Schneider, hardly fair indicators). Are we likely to win? Of course not. Do I think there is at least a meaningful shot at an upset? Yes.

Time to put the crap behind us and re-dedicate. We DO have a chance, my friends.

All true. I had to laugh when I watched Bergeron fuming between periods about how this team isn't ready blah blah blah. Lord, is that guy an idiot. This was truly a NOTHING game. You may as well use preseason exhibitions to guage a team's playoff readiness.

We're the underdogs going into the Bruins series and the Montreal Canadiens have a certain historical track-record in this respect. I think the team will draw strength from the moral victory in game 81 and Price's standout performance tonight, as well as - notwithstanding Brobin's negativity - the much stronger overall team game since Gainey took over (generally speaking). (Two of those losses came without Markov and Schneider, hardly fair indicators). Are we likely to win? Of course not. Do I think there is at least a meaningful shot at an upset? Yes.

Time to put the crap behind us and re-dedicate. We DO have a chance, my friends.

I like to think I am being realistic. :)

We only looked good when we played crappy teams. Our PP unit looked good for a while and we got half our goals against those teams on the PP. We only look better because we couldn't look worse then we did for about a month before.

While it is possible for us to upset (who knows, Price or Halak could go on a roll and steal a couple), I would say the odds are much worse then they have been historically. Theo beat Boston, but he was on a roll before the playoffs even started. We had some teams that had lots of injuries, but fought back to make the playoffs and were playing our best of the season. I just don't see anything in the last while (certainly the last 4) to indicate we are coming in strong.

I just don't know what to point to for optimism. Price has not been stellar all season. When the first line is going, the 2nd line is MIA. We are missing Markov and that is a killer.

If we had Markov and Lang, then I would perhaps have more optimism, but then if we had those guys, we would probably be the 4 to 6th seed right now.

I have my fingers crossed, but there is no way I am taking my buddies bet on the outcome of this one. I am NOT wearing a Bruin's jersey to work. :angry:

Use Laraque in the first two road games, if we get beat bad (like being down 3 goals or more when 10 minutes remain) I wouldnt cry if Laraque started some headhunting on Lucic or Chara just to get them upset and lose their focus on the game.