Jacques Martin new Habs head coach

huzer

WTF- mario tremblay back in Montreal?????

Has gainey lost his mind???????

Well, if we are going to have a team of Martin, Tremblay and a consultant of Lemaire, we can probably forget the following free agents for sure now (not that I believe we had much of a chance anyway):

- gaborik - can't see him wanting anything to do with this coaching staff.

- bouwmeester - didn't appear to have avoid relationship with Martin.

- Hossa - I can't see him wanting to play for a coach who had no playoff success.

I also think Tangauy may not resign now. The only reason I think he waived his NTC, washe thought he was going to an offence first team. I see going to the Caps of Pens now.

The backlash against Tremblay is understandable but unfair. This is not 1995. People learn and grow. Lemaire obviously found him a good assistant. Chill.

As for UFAs, there's no guarantee that any would have signed with us anyway. Basing your coaching choice on which guy you think would appeal to UFA X or Y is sheer lunacy. More importantly, you attract UFAs by WINNING. And you only win consistently by having a strong team game with lots of structure. Martin will bring that. So once again, chill.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever was going to be named coach was stepping in a situation where half the fans would blast him before he even coached a practice.

I'm surprised, pleasantly surprised, that Martin decided to leave a comfortable GM job in Florida to go back behind the bench in a hockey-mad city like Montreal. Right there, to me it shows some courage. It's not like he was on the sidelines waiting for any opportunity to get back in the NHL.

People wanted an experienced coach who knew how to implement a "system", two things that were big reproaches against Carbo. Well, you can hardly get better than Martin on both aspects. 1000+ plus NHL games, 500+ wins. If that wasnt enough, you'll have Lemaire (1100+ games as coach) in the pressbox upstairs willing to dispense his wealth of experience to the coaches. And Mario? Still a head-coach in the making. People still hate him, but forgot he was thrown to the wolves without having ever coached a game in his life. He spent years as an understudy of Lemaire in Minnesota, and Lemaire speaks very well of him. It's an upgrade on Muller, no doubt.

Fans are quick to hone in on Martin's playoffs record. He was given a talented team in Ottawa, but never had a real starter and had lot of creampuffs. Which, in a way, means Gainey still have to address the need for the Habs to have more grit and character.

The backlash against Tremblay is understandable but unfair. This is not 1995. People learn and grow. Lemaire obviously found him a good assistant. Chill.

As for UFAs, there's no guarantee that any would have signed with us anyway. Basing your coaching choice on which guy you think would appeal to UFA X or Y is sheer lunacy. More importantly, you attract UFAs by WINNING. And you only win consistently by having a strong team game with lots of structure. Martin will bring that. So once again, chill.

Tremblay owes us a decade of good hockey. The dark era is HIS (and Houle) fault. You can't trade Patrick Roy for crap.

Inexcusable.

Whoever was going to be named coach was stepping in a situation where half the fans would blast him before he even coached a practice.

I'm surprised, pleasantly surprised, that Martin decided to leave a comfortable GM job in Florida to go back behind the bench in a hockey-mad city like Montreal. Right there, to me it shows some courage. It's not like he was on the sidelines waiting for any opportunity to get back in the NHL.

People wanted an experienced coach who knew how to implement a "system", two things that were big reproaches against Carbo. Well, you can hardly get better than Martin on both aspects. If that wasnt enough, you'll have Lemaire in the pressbox upstairs willing to dispense his wealth of experience to the coaches. And Mario? Still a head-coach in the making. People still hate him, but forgot he was thrown to the wolves without having ever coached a game in his life. He spent years as an understudy of Lemaire in Minnesota, and Lemaire speaks very well of him. It's an upgrade on Muller, no doubt.

Fans are quick to hone in on Martin's playoffs record. He was given a talented team in Ottawa, but never had a real starter and had lot of creampuffs. Which, in a way, means Gainey still have to address the need for the Habs to have more grit and character.

Like what ? Corey and Houle put a gun on his head ? He accepted the job knowing he had nothing to do there. ###### him.

Edited by JoeLassister

Tremblay owes us a decade of good hockey. The dark era is HIS (and Houle) fault. You can't trade Patrick Roy for crap.

Inexcusable.

Like what ? Corey and Houle put a gun on his head ? He accepted the job knowing he had nothing to do there. ###### him.

Get a grip, will ya? Patrick Roy wasnt an angel either. Jacques Demers had basically given him the locker-room to coach and do as he pleased. He was spoiled and the clash with Tremblay was almost inevitable. Houle just didnt know how to deal with it. Too Old School to know it wasnt the 70's anymore.

Like I said: that was 14 years ago, get over it and get real. He's learn a ton from that experience and even more under Lemaire.

Wow...Martin? It could work, but I was really hoping for J-Bo, and it doesn't look as likely now. On the other hand he is a good guy to implement a defensive system and make his guys stick to it, at least in the regular season. I think what we need now is a steady hand more than anything, from that point of view not a bad choice. Still after hearing Hartley, Lemaire and Robinson's name thrown out there, this still feels like a bit of a letdown. But speaking of which.......

Lemaire as consultant is AWESOME because we get the benefit of his wisdom without the undue media exposure and fan criticism. Tremblay? My first reaction was WTF, are there not enough qualified assistants so that we have to bring this guy back, but.....CC is right, as in every job, reps translate to learning and progress (sorry for using a football reference, but Bill Belichik didn't do too well on his first job in Cleveland either), and it's reasonable to expect that Mario's learned something from the Roy fiasco.

Now, does this alienate Roy further from the CH and/or shut the door on his return in some capacity?

People wanted an experienced coach who knew how to implement a "system", two things that were big reproaches against Carbo. Well, you can hardly get better than Martin on both aspects. 1000+ plus NHL games, 500+ wins. If that wasnt enough, you'll have Lemaire (1100+ games as coach) in the pressbox upstairs willing to dispense his wealth of experience to the coaches. And Mario? Still a head-coach in the making. People still hate him, but forgot he was thrown to the wolves without having ever coached a game in his life. He spent years as an understudy of Lemaire in Minnesota, and Lemaire speaks very well of him. It's an upgrade on Muller, no doubt.

I agree with this totally well said I would add only one thing' howmany coaches have the senators had since jacques was there? and how many cups have they won? Hmmmmm yep he was the problem :rolleyes:

Now, does this alienate Roy further from the CH and/or shut the door on his return in some capacity?

I dont think it alienate Roy because of Tremblay. I think 14 years later they made amends. Both admitted they regret how things went down.

I think it shuts the door (in the short-term) simply because there's a bunch of new guys hired and there isnt any spot left. Roy said he was happy with his junior team. He's the owner, GM and coach, there; I dont think he'd have left it all for a simple assistant-coach job.

Wasnt it Pierre Gauthier that hired Martin in Ottawa?

I think so. Also, Timmins came from the Ottawa organization. There's a lot of familiarity within the Habs' brass with Martin. I remember that under Savard it was assumed that Martin would be hired as coach if Ottawa ever fired him.

I think so. Also, Timmins came from the Ottawa organization. There's a lot of familiarity within the Habs' brass with Martin. I remember that under Savard it was assumed that Martin would be hired as coach if Ottawa ever fired him.

Yep.

Martin, Gauthier & Savard are all initially from the Nordiques organization.

He was also the one who took over the Blues after Demers went to Detroit; and followed Pat Burns for Jack-Adams winner in 1999.

Get a grip, will ya? Patrick Roy wasnt an angel either. Jacques Demers had basically given him the locker-room to coach and do as he pleased. He was spoiled and the clash with Tremblay was almost inevitable. Houle just didnt know how to deal with it. Too Old School to know it wasnt the 70's anymore.

Like I said: that was 14 years ago, get over it and get real. He's learn a ton from that experience and even more under Lemaire.

Remains that I still feel like Houle and Tremblay raped me. I will never get over someone who raped me... ^_^

Yep.

Martin, Gauthier & Savard are all initially from the Nordiques organization.

He was also the one who took over the Blues after Demers went to Detroit; and followed Pat Burns for Jack-Adams winner in 1999.

Bowman, Demers, Martin. 3 former St. Louis Blues coaches, three Jack Adams Trophy winners, 3 coaches of the Montreal Canadiens. Hopefully Martin can live up to the other 3 in the final category. :clap:

Bob confirms Rollie's GONE........... :clap: And Martian's going to talk with the remaining coaches

Note to Price; forget everything you've been taught the last 2 years........... :lol:

Edited by kenadian

can a French speaker let me know what the question about Bouwmeester was all about, and Martin's answer?

Dont recall the question (I dont care about J-Bo), but Martin replied: "Bouwmeester is under contract of the Florida Panthers and we're not allowed to talk about him"

I find it hard to beleive Martin won't clean house and restart with an all new coaching staff.

Anything else of note said? I can't get the tsn feed since i live in COlorado and i don't speak french.

I liked his reply when asked about being a defensive coach..... when we have the puck we're on offence and when we don't we're on defence (trying to get the puck) AND players (even stars talked about Crosby/Zetterberg) playing at BOTH ends of the ice

Some of our forwards better start working out over the summer, cause their going to be expected to help out [more] in their own end!

Edited by kenadian